Sign in to follow this  
SkipperT

Aus Elliott 5.9's... Where are they now?

Afternoon all, I'm in the process of finishing off building my new Elliott 5.9 in Brisbane and I'm trying to chase contact details of other boats/owners in Australia. I know there were plenty owned by yacht clubs and such a few years back and I would love to try and see where boats are now and whether or not we can get some class racing going at key events. If you know where any are, drop me a PM and I'll do the leg work.

25 boats registers in NZ... that's good to know, thanks. I was of the impression there were about 100 of these built in OZ, but I only know of about 6 that are sailing and most of those are in Tassie.

Thanks Flatbag! Any chance you could get me boat names and or sail numbers so I can add them to my register? Would there be a results sheet of a club regatta or something you could get for me??? skipperb52@yahoo.com.au Thanks Champion!!! I thought there were a few down there racing too?

Thanks guys, keep them coming. The 4 in Sydney are gone. 1 coming to Brisbane, 2 going to Melbourne and one will stay in Sydney. 4 boats with only 3 trailers is a bit of an issue, so I think I'm now looking for a cheap trailer. The class is building all over which is great! I'm sure there are still plenty sitting around at yacht clubs not being used... Get on board!!!

Two of the RYCV boats are on loan to Royal Brighton and have been refurbed and given new Doyle's wardrobes called Windcraft and Yoti for their sponsorship boats look v good and have certainly been given a new life

Thanks Eiar! Does that mean there are 4 at RYCV and 2 at RBYC? I've heard also there are a few 5.9's racing down Melbourne way (I don't know clubs as such) as they are boats that have been sold from Qld over the last couple of years. I know Young Guns (a white boat) went down there about this time last year, as did a flash one with windows that was sold from Townsville in NQ.

Top boats

Dont wanna hijack but while the 5.9s are coming forward, are there any Elliot 6s in AUS?

d

Are any in private hands? Would think most people would prefer lift / keel & trailerable.

I've only heard of clubs owning E6's. I'm sure one day when the next big thing comes along in training boats, the 6's will be sold off by clubs just like the 5.9's have... And so the cycle will begin again.

Two examples found their way to Hawaii. E-Type (yellow) and Exocet (dark red) - I haven't seen either of them for years now though, sorry - I don't know where they got off to, last I heard E-type was up on Maui and Exocet in poor shape on windward Oahu.

Did the AU molds end up getting binned - saw them up for sale some time ago. Suspect that no one grabbed them?

I think the same was the case for the E7 molds - but could be wrong.

I bought my boat off the guy with the molds so I could certainly touch base with him directly if someone was interested in them. I have the rudder blade mold and the keel bulb mold that came with my boat. The keel mold isn't the class bulb though.

An Elliott in the USA!!! Rhode Island. http://picclick.ca/Elliott-65-Sport-Boat-191945377514.html

Elliott-65-Sport-Boat.jpg

The Elliott 5.9, Lil Ripper in a 1986 article. http://www.elliott-marine.com/assets/Uploads/Elliott-Marine-lilripper.pdf

In the article they mention a keel lift system than used a wire to the bulb and a winch on the cockpit floor.

Anyone seen one? Any pics or diagrams?

I have made a keel crane for mine, but the wire system is interesting.

3 Regulars and 3 occasional 5.9's racing down here in Tassie at Port Dalrymple YC.

Boats were ex Royal Tas, some went to Tamar YC then private, some straight from Royal to private.

3 of them are very well sorted, the others a bit tired

Thanks Mez, any chance you could get me a results sheet or something (even if just a photo) and I can add all the boats from down there to the list that I have so far. I start holidays in 3 weeks and I'll post up then a completed list of all the boats I've found so far. Hoping we can get some kind of class events going.

Thanks Mez, any chance you could get me a results sheet or something (even if just a photo) and I can add all the boats from down there to the list that I have so far. I start holidays in 3 weeks and I'll post up then a completed list of all the boats I've found so far. Hoping we can get some kind of class events going.

No prob,

Pics and write up from the weekend

http://www.pdyc.yachting.org.au/assoc_page.cgi?client=0-10065-0-0-0&sID=301320&&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=49875400

Results

http://websites.sportstg.com/get_file.cgi?id=36065906

Afternoon all, for anyone that is interested I've just created an Australian Elliott 5.9 Class Facebook page. It's a working progress but i will go all out once school holidays start and I've finished teaching for the year. I'm hoping that anyone who owns a 5.9 in Oz will post a picture of their boat, along with any history of their boat and where they are currently racing out of. Also, anyone that finds a boat lying around can post a picture and we can see about chasing owners and getting it out on the water. Trying to build the profile of the class here in Oz and getting some real class racing going at key events. Nothing official at this stage, but it's a start at least. Get on board!!!

Personally, I like the Assy idea, especially with the retractable pole. Don't know what it would do for overall performance or ease of sailing vs rating???

Looks to me that this boat needs an Assy. We modified my Spider 22 "Bob Sled" to anarticulating pole and 50sq metre Assy as well as Fracy Assy and now a Code Zero.

This has really brightened up the boat made mush more fun and easier to sail.

CBH rating penalty is .01 for the pole and another .01 for the oversize kite.

I also own half share in an FT10 in Sydney. Its a brilliant boat but the Spider in Surf to City , Bay to Bay , Airlie Beach, Hamilton Island etc is just as much fun ....

Hey Kelly, was it difficult at all to do the articulating bowsprit? Any idea what the cost would be? I couldnt justify $1000 (nor would the boss let me spend it) to put a retractable carbon sprit in the boat.

There is one for sale in Tassie on Gumtree. The owner wants to sell it and buy a cruising boat. He is going to post pics and more info on the Australian Elliott 5.9 Class Facebook page. I'd love for it to come to Brisbane as my new boat arrives here in a week and I'd love for another boat to race against along with Michael and Tomoko from the Goldie. Surf to City in about 6 weeks time hopefully!!!

Hey Kelly, was it difficult at all to do the articulating bowsprit? Any idea what the cost would be? I couldnt justify $1000 (nor would the boss let me spend it) to put a retractable carbon sprit in the boat.

Cost will depend how handy you are with metal work and what access you have to a workshop..

Pole is very inexpensive but you need to put a bearing into the pole approx 300mm from end. That means maching a piece of round aluminum to fit the spigot. The Spigot needs to be fitted at the point where your forestay goes, It needs a foresTack point, and a couple of jamers to jam off either side. The pole is generally sailed about 15 degrees to windward and of course more if you want to go deeep..

$1000 might stop it, but wait, you don't have any kites yet. Thats where the real cost is.

Still a lot cheaper than setting up a retractable system , into the hull.

Articulating adds a lot of extra string, and the pole is usually pretty unhappy with being let below centreline with a kite up.

It was super quick on the Beale in the light, and great for more options on point to point races. I think we broke the pole 3 times before getting our gybe technique sorted.

Fixed is only better if you are quick enough or the legs are too short to make it worthwhile

OK I have a 5.9 with standard rig, and a nice Assy that could be set from the masthead.

I was considering a fixed sprit and running backstays.

What do the skiffs do these days to support a masthead kite?

Thanks NH, I think this is Young Guns that sailed out of Holleywell (Southport, Qld). I think she was sold 12 months ago to someone down in Victoria, but no one seems to have seen it... Sadly, I think it's another one that has vanished into thin air!

Just a bit more of an update, there is a guy in Hobart with one of the ex RPAYC boats that has added jumpers to carry mastehad chutes, now also a bowsprit (fixed) for assy's too I think. Will get a pic up up flying sym.

Also Ian Milner (Yacht Builder who built Ocean Emu and Valheru) is doing one up. Bit modified with chined added aft, small stern extension and will have retractable assy pole.

Thanks Mez, from all your info I'm assuming you follow the 5.9's down in Tassie??? I was recently emailed a list of 10 boats down there that are either sailing or just sitting around... Too bad they are not all out sailing. Regardless, if you or any of the other guys down there are on Facebook, search Australian Elliott 5.9 Class and send me an add request. The more guys on there the better. I hope to put some pictures up tomorrow after we rig the new boat (dry soft launch).

Morning all, the Elliott 5.9's seem to be gaining momentum in Australian and a few more boats have been located. From what I've found there are 11 in Tassie, 3 in Victoria, 1 in W.A., 2 in Sydney, 1 in Newcastle, 2 on the Gold Coast and 2 in Brisbane. I've posted a fair bit of information regarding how to upgrade/update the boats as I've made changes on mine, so jump on the Australian Elliott 5.9 Class Facebook page and join in the fun. There is currently 2 boats for sale as well. Hoping more come out of the woodwork soon. If you know of any other boats sitting around, please let me know.

52 minutes ago, SCANAS said:

How would an e5.9 go solo? Apart from gybing the pole. Are they well balanced?

They are really set up as a trainer, full width traveller between helm and other sheets and halyards.

its hard to steer from behind the cabin top, they were set up as three person racers.

If you brought the halyards and jib sheets back to the helm, it would work 

there is 250kg lead on a bulb five feet down, so they are not as tender as newer sports boats, but crew weight helps in a blow.

Balance is fine, helm is light, very large main compared to jib.

The only load is on mainsheet and traveller, everything else is very light.

My 50kg wife is skipper, I played sheet and forward hand, and got the weight out.

it feels a lot like a skiff to sail.

Does anyone know the whereabouts of an Elliott 5.9 that went by the names in the following order "Circus Circus" , "Max" (when I owned her sailed out of Woolaraha Sailing Club alongside Elliott Ness ) and then Zip. Last Seen as Zip at the CYCA  Sydney in late 90s 

How did you go with searching for your long list E5.9 Zeke? I run the Australian Elliott 5.9 Class Facebook Page. I think we about 50 odd members at the moment. Feel free to jump on and be a part of the action. There are a few guys on there that sailed the boats over the last 30 years, so hopefully someone will know. 

Does anyone have any updates on the whereabouts of Elliott 5.9’s elsewhere in OZ. The class is building well enough to start a real Class Assosiation again and I am contacted regularly by people chasing boats. Everyone seems to accept that most of them have been bashed around and not loved for sometime. So if you remember seeing one in a backyard or shed somewhere, or one sailed by old mate at your club years ago, drop us a line and I will do the legwork of chasing numbers and such. Drop me an ad on the Australian Elliott 5.9 Class Page on Facebook or email me skipperb52@yahoo.com.au 

They are still in Gladstone, on the Central Queensland Coast. Are you in Oz or NZ? If you want them, send me an email and I can do some homework for you. skipperb52@yahoo.com.au