• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
gjbike

more Fareast 28R race results

Anyone sailing this boat in the U.S. under PHRF? If so how is it doing and at what rating? When I asked the Rep at the Annapolis boat show in 2015 he said it should sail with a FT10 at 48-54 which I thought was damn fast for the boat.

Anyone sailing this boat in the U.S. under PHRF? If so how is it doing and at what rating? When I asked the Rep at the Annapolis boat show in 2015 he said it should sail with a FT10 at 48-54 which I thought was damn fast for the boat.

Didn't an FE28R race Key West in 2016?

I race mine in PHRF. I was given a provisional handicap of 54. In short W-L races you have to work to be competitive at that rating because most of the lower rating comes from it's downwind performance. In a 1/2 mile buoy to buoy course the asymmetrical spinnaker can't compete with a similar boat flying a symmetrical spinnaker since they aim straight at the line. Upwind I can usually keep up and even sometimes beat an Olson 30 and a J105 to the windward mark. Downwind I can leave them both in the dust but I'm sailing a longer distance. In any long distance race that includes long reaches or downwind runs nobody comes close to me. Sunday I was sailing 2up and the boat wound jump on plane at 6.8 kts boatspeed in 10 kts wind at 55 deg AWA with jib and main. It will also sail at 2kt boatspeed in 2 kt TWS at a beam reach with jib and main. This boat is very fast, very responsive and a lot of fun to sail. Every experienced sailor who has sailed with me has been impressed with it's performance and handling. It's easily faster than a Melges 24 for comparison. Worldwide it has beat Farr280's and many much larger boats. A handicap of 54 is probably reasonable for longer races but all sportboats suffer under PHRF in short W-L courses.

The Australian Fareast site has ongoing postings about FE28R racing results. Latest post shows results from a Sydney regatta where a FE28R took 1st place.

https://www.facebook.com/fareastyachtsaustralia/?hc_ref=NEWSFEED

here is a list of the entrants and their boats

https://www.topyacht.com.au/db/aus/entrants_display.php?SeriesID=4257&Task=ShowSeriesEntrants&EventID=675

I race mine in PHRF. I was given a provisional handicap of 54. In short W-L races you have to work to be competitive at that rating because most of the lower rating comes from it's downwind performance. In a 1/2 mile buoy to buoy course the asymmetrical spinnaker can't compete with a similar boat flying a symmetrical spinnaker since they aim straight at the line. Upwind I can usually keep up and even sometimes beat an Olson 30 and a J105 to the windward mark. Downwind I can leave them both in the dust but I'm sailing a longer distance. In any long distance race that includes long reaches or downwind runs nobody comes close to me. Sunday I was sailing 2up and the boat wound jump on plane at 6.8 kts boatspeed in 10 kts wind at 55 deg AWA with jib and main. It will also sail at 2kt boatspeed in 2 kt TWS at a beam reach with jib and main. This boat is very fast, very responsive and a lot of fun to sail. Every experienced sailor who has sailed with me has been impressed with it's performance and handling. It's easily faster than a Melges 24 for comparison. Worldwide it has beat Farr280's and many much larger boats. A handicap of 54 is probably reasonable for longer races but all sportboats suffer under PHRF in short W-L courses.

Come race on Lake Travis. We had 15 boats on the line for A Fleet on New Years Day. Course took 75 minutes, so time to stretch your legs. A fleet was comprised of a Melges 24, J/105, Tripp 26, J/29, J/70, J/80's, VX One, and our Schumacher 28, so 13 of 15 were sprit boats.

I'm giving it serious consideration. BTW I have an Extreme 25 I'm no longer racing. I would be willing to have someone from your club race it there as I try to sell it. I met a couple of your members during the Wursfest Regatta.

Sorry but that's not much of a comparison. Melges 24 rates somewhere between 87 - 108 and we were competitive with them in my Elliott 770, so it's already well determined where its speed lies. Have you raced a melges 32 yet? That'd be a more interesting comparison. They owe you time, but I imagine you'll be close to them upwind and slightly slower downwind. Agree with your assessment about SB's and short w/l courses though. :) Cool boat - glad you're having fun with it.

There's a Viper 870 around here. It rates 64 or something like that. That would be a good comparison.

Somewhere here I posted some race results where a FE28R had beaten a Melges 32 but when you see results like that it has more to do with crew skill than the boats. A side by side upwind / downwind ride would be the most releable measure of performance.

Been eyeballing this boat for a while now. In the US PNW, we have a Super 30 fleet comprised of boats rating around 54 that race level, Farr 30s, Hendos and the no longer prevalent FT10. Seems like the FE28 would fit in well. How does the FE28 stack up boat-for-boat against the Farr 30?

Been eyeballing this boat for a while now. In the US PNW, we have a Super 30 fleet comprised of boats rating around 54 that race level, Farr 30s, Hendos and the no longer prevalent FT10. Seems like the FE28 would fit in well. How does the FE28 stack up boat-for-boat against the Farr 30?

Not too badly, she is owed some time by the Farr 30 so racing level is a little bit of a disadvantage. Upwind the Farr 30 is going to be hard to hold on too, downwind you won't have a problem especially if you go with an over sized spinnaker.

Had a close up look at these at Port Stephens on the weekend - 3 boats sailing in the Super 30 division- flat water 10 kts - they were great to see - at AUD $90k they look like a great value proposition - and at that price could be a potential OD fleet. Not sure how the handicapper treated them but.......sweet looking boats!

What does the 90k include couta? Is that sails, instruments, yard trailer etc?

How did they look against the mummfarr?

Pity b2g needs an inboard . . . .

Ahhh cheers, didn't see that last time i looked.

Ce rating doesn't matter anymore scanas, cat 3+ remember. I see a porta shitter strapped in downstairs, halfway to race ready.

Are you sure? I'm a little fuzzy on cat3 but I still think construction standards apply built to ISO CE class or signed off by NA or "other knowledgeable person" applies no?

I like the FE28r & I think it fills a large whole in the new boat market. Hard to go past a 2nd hand Melges 32 for similiar money with a host of sails if you wanted lift keel, outboard etc

Hey Rant.

B2G 2017 NOR

3.1 General Requirements

Single Hulled & Self Righting

Stability as per appendix A

be built in accordance with special regulations part 1 3.03

A monohull of less than 24 m in hull length (measured

in accordance with ISO 8666) with Age or Series Date on or after 1 July 2010 shall have:

Been designed and built in accordance with the requirements of ISO 12215 Category A.

On board a certificate of building plan review from a notified body recognised by ISAF.

On board a declaration signed and dated by the builder to confirm the yacht is built in accordance with the plans reviewed by the notified body.

Etc Etc ie Scantlings do apply.

Well there ya go. I thought that clause was one of the ones they were trying to get rid of to let a few of the CE class B wags racers in.

Might not get a production boat through but you might get a one off sporty through if you could convince builder or NA or surveyor to sign off.

For earlier question re how it does vs a Melges 32- some race results

https://www.facebook.com/fareastyachtsaustralia/photos/rpp.321007464694035/1099643800163727/?type=3&theater

elapsed times would be more interesting than the low points

Speed wise the 28R is almost perfectly between a Melges 24 and a Melges 32. In my opinion the 28R is a very different animal, much easier to sail and much more forgiving. To sail a Melges 32 you really need to know what you are doing to get the most out of the boat.

Boat speed does not translate into elapsed time very well. My closest competitor where I sail is a very well sailed Olson 30. On any given day sometimes I sail faster and sometimes he sails faster, but on most days he sails better. Under a kite in big wind I can leave him in the dust but in real racing it's the quality of the tacks and how well you call the wind shifts that separate us most. Last week we were both closing in on the windward mark when he noticed a big header coming and tacked right in front of it- I was late and couldn't tack in time and ended up 5 or 6 boat lengths behind on just that one mistake. He carries both sym and asym kites and on one Olympic round in big wind he was able to take advantage of being able to head straight at the line for the finish under his sym kite. The polars only tell you what the boat is capable of doing under ideal conditions and optimum trim. The Melges 32 has a waterline of 29 ft 10in and a SA/D of 45 (without crew). The FE28R has a waterline of 27ft 8 in and a SA/D of 38. If both boats are sailed to their polars the Melges should be about 7% faster. On a 45 minute race that would be 3.25 min ahead. The Melges PHRF is 24 the FE28R 54. If both boats were sailed perfectly the Melges would get line honors every time and the FE28R would win on PHRF every time.