• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
chester

NHL 2016-2017

Looks like we have a classic high scoring last goal wins game...

go preds...

I'm no fan of phaneuf, but dude was laying some solid hits last night.

I'm really starting to get pissed about the "other rules" in play for the postseason.    I get that they want the boys to play with passion, I get that they don't want to disrupt the flow of the game with 25 whistles per period, I get all of that.     The problem is that the constant hooking holding and slashing produces 0-1 snoozers like last night.

Watch the highlights from last night, about half of the uncapitalized scoring chances involved some sort of foul on the shooter which would normally have been penalized in the regular season, and that's AFTER someone managed to fight through hooks holds and slashes to get the puck to the shooter in the first place.

Solid game for the Sens, and Fleury didn't really collapse, it was more like solid, fast offensive work by the Sens with a lot of bad luck in that net, and that wraparound goal by Smith one of the most beautiful of the series.

But now Fleury imploded, so they put in Murray, he looks solid, kind of worries me, I would rather Fleury go sieve. I suspect that Murray will now be in for the rest of the series. But Andy was awesome, such a deranged individual, a damned glorious, beautiful goaltender. He'll beat up his grandma to make a save. And he's keeping this insane focus with his wife dealing with cancer. Andy is not a common kind of goalie.

This doesn't look good for the Preds, down two goals, hopefully it can be a dangerous two goals.

Hopefully this doesn't turn into a replay of the 2007 Annaheim-Ottawa Cup.

9 hours ago, Keith said:

Preds have awesome fans......

Throwing the dead duck on the ice pre-game was a nice touch, but what if it catches on with the other teams?

Where do you find a penguin in Ottawa, and is there a senator light enough to throw over the glass (dead or alive)?

1 hour ago, Tax Man said:

Throwing the dead duck on the ice pre-game was a nice touch, but what if it catches on with the other teams?

Where do you find a penguin in Ottawa, and is there a senator light enough to throw over the glass (dead or alive)?

The Anaheim fans need to throw a dead Predator onto the ice pregame to even the score.

It's funny how times have changed. I remember in one pregame warm-up about ten years ago in Cup run, a Red Wings fan threw the obligatory dead octopus onto the ice, and some Avalanche rookie picked it up and threw it into the penalty box. 

That guy had his ass handed to him the next day in the hockey media, he dared to screw with a sacred hockey tradition.

I would like to see that same outrage in other industries. Say, as a traditional effort to bring on a bull market, a dead and decaying corpse of a grizzly bear is thrown into the trading floor of the New York Stock Exchange. Then when the young traders complain about the flies and the stench in their place of business, they get insulted in the Wall Street Journal for failing to honor a scared tradition.

2 hours ago, mikewof said:

The Anaheim fans need to throw a dead Predator onto the ice pregame to even the score.

It's funny how times have changed. I remember in one pregame warm-up about ten years ago in Cup run, a Red Wings fan threw the obligatory dead octopus onto the ice, and some Avalanche rookie picked it up and threw it into the penalty box. 

That guy had his ass handed to him the next day in the hockey media, he dared to screw with a sacred hockey tradition.

I would like to see that same outrage in other industries. Say, as a traditional effort to bring on a bull market, a dead and decaying corpse of a grizzly bear is thrown into the trading floor of the New York Stock Exchange. Then when the young traders complain about the flies and the stench in their place of business, they get insulted in the Wall Street Journal for failing to honor a scared tradition.

There was no outrage when he did that. Other than the fact that Al could not wave it over his head and someone needed to clean the penalty box.

1 hour ago, dyslexic dog said:

There was no outrage when he did that. Other than the fact that Al could not wave it over his head and someone needed to clean the penalty box.

The Avs lost that game I think. I remember when he picked it up, about twenty guys in the bar groaned, we kind of knew the series was done, right then.

It doesn't work with other animals, I remember someone in San Jose did it with a little shark. It didn't have the same effect.

Fuck. What was bobby doing on the 3rd goal?!?! Now 4. This could be a "playoff stats padding" game for the Pens.

Sens were not skating. Second penalty was a joke especially after what Crosby did on the face-off. West will kill either one of these with the physical play.

The sens are alive! Anderson held them in it in the second period.  The pens actually suck in home game sevens so there is that.

10 hours ago, chester said:

The sens are alive! Anderson held them in it in the second period.  The pens actually suck in home game sevens so there is that.

Every Pens guy I know (two of them at work) is right now bitching about the interference call on Andy.

They pushed his glove away from the puck, how is that a giant conspiracy to favor Canadian teams?

1 hour ago, mikewof said:

Every Pens guy I know (two of them at work) is right now bitching about the interference call on Andy.

They pushed his glove away from the puck, how is that a giant conspiracy to favor Canadian teams?

ya, that was clearly interference. daley used his stick to lever andy off the puck and into the back of the net from inside the blue paint thus preventing the goalie from an opportunity to make a save, which is pretty much the exact definition of goaltender interference.  pussies.

anderson saved their season though, the pens were all over them in the second and not just with shot volume but shot quality.  The Sens did play well though, the PK was strong and they generated some excellent chances as well but they could very easily have been giving the old "love this team, had a good season and an excellent playoff run, good things next year" quotes today.

CBC's play by play guy had a funny quote on the malkin goal:  "that was malkin from malkin and malkin"

really happy with and for bobby ryan.  he had a miserable season that saw him collect 25 points in 62 games and he now has 15 in 18 playoff games.  also clark macarthur, misses two years with concussions comes back for the start of the playoffs and has played very well.

1 hour ago, chester said:

ya, that was clearly interference. daley used his stick to lever andy off the puck and into the back of the net from inside the blue paint thus preventing the goalie from an opportunity to make a save, which is pretty much the exact definition of goaltender interference.  pussies.

anderson saved their season though, the pens were all over them in the second and not just with shot volume but shot quality.  The Sens did play well though, the PK was strong and they generated some excellent chances as well but they could very easily have been giving the old "love this team, had a good season and an excellent playoff run, good things next year" quotes today.

CBC's play by play guy had a funny quote on the malkin goal:  "that was malkin from malkin and malkin"

really happy with and for bobby ryan.  he had a miserable season that saw him collect 25 points in 62 games and he now has 15 in 18 playoff games.  also clark macarthur, misses two years with concussions comes back for the start of the playoffs and has played very well.

My wishful prediction ...

Ottawa scores twice in the first period, Andy stands on his head against an insane Pittsburgh assault, Murray gets pulled and Fleury holds tight for the third, Ottawa takes it 2-1.

At least if reality hands us something different, I'll get to enjoy this pleasant fantasy for the 30-some hours.

2 hours ago, mikewof said:

My wishful prediction ...

Ottawa scores twice in the first period, Andy stands on his head against an insane Pittsburgh assault, Murray gets pulled and Fleury holds tight for the third, Ottawa takes it 2-1.

At least if reality hands us something different, I'll get to enjoy this pleasant fantasy for the 30-some hours.

much better prediction than: pittsburgh comes out flying, andy mishandles the puck leading to a crosby/malkin/kessel goal, the floodgates open and its a 3-0 pens lead after 30.

9 hours ago, chester said:

much better prediction than: pittsburgh comes out flying, andy mishandles the puck leading to a crosby/malkin/kessel goal, the floodgates open and its a 3-0 pens lead after 30.

If that happens, I can't see Murray being able to handle guys like Forsberg, Johansen and Arvy. They'll put Fleury in net by Game 3, but it will be too late for a team like Nashville. Even rested, Murray can barely manage Ottawa, the Preds will dismantle him.

Ottawa is a much better pairing for Nashville. They don't have those deep 4 lines like Nashville does, and their defense relies on Andy. But Andy can do miraculous things, at least half the time. I think Ottawa might be able to sneak out a few games from Nashville, just nail Rinne's blocker six ways to Sunday, and they have a chance (was Rinne injured on his blocker during the Ducks series?) ... not much of a chance, but Andy is a Western goalie, as long as they don't interfere with him, he saves even better when they start crashing the net.

About Rinne, good article in the Hockey News, they claim that Rinne's unholy abilities in part come from playing Finnish Baseball as a kid, it build that bizarre flexibility into his muscles. http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/how-a-wacky-finnish-pastime-helped-shape-pekka-rinne-into-a-human-highlight-reel

The article suggested YouTubing the game ... man, gotta love the Finns. If I ever visit there, they'll probably need to haul my ass out of there with a steel cable.

well Johansen is out, fisher is out and hadn't recorded a point in the playoffs.  but that sissons kid has stepped up and since they run every thing from the back end nashville is in pretty good shape for either the pens or the sens.  The sens are the least banged up.  they are missing burrows and borowieki.  borowieke is a regular d and a mean son of a bitch but he's been out for quite a while now.  just for fun look up a pic of boro and chris neil... they are they same guy seperated by 15 years and a 100 fights!

15 minutes till face off. Pens have Lindquist and Schultz back.  This will require the very best each senator has ever played...or the Pens to self destruct from frustration.

Good game so far into 2nd. I think pens have had a few better chances forcing Andy to make better saves but not overwhelming.  Games has had good pace mostly and well played

Its like watching a chess game..... some ones gotta make a mistake....

GO SENS GO.....

3 minutes ago, Keith said:

Its like watching a chess game..... some ones gotta make a mistake....

GO SENS GO.....

Shot, there's your mistake.  And there's your answer!

Good quick goal back from the sens !!!

and a nice hip check on malkin.   

I forgot how stressful it is to watch Andy in a critical game, he gets kind of reckless. Cripes they just scored on a pp. fmd.

1         Dyslexic Dog         7

1         Figment         7

1         Hard Aground         7

1         mikewof         7

5         Chester         6

5         Keith         6

5         Peacefrog         6

5         USA190520         6

Picks for the next round ...

Preds in 5.

I would say Preds in 4, but there are a three cells in me that still don't completely hate the fucking Penguins.

Pens in 7.

Going to be interesting.  first, Nashville, a southern non-traditional market, is in fact a great hockey market! they have been rocking the shit out of that arena and that is awesome to see (gee, Ottawa, couldn't sell out game 6 in the conference final?...wow).  both have great goaltending.  two completely different styles: pens lead everthing with forwards from their face off dots on out, preds lead everything with there super hero 4 D.  should be run and gun with a ton of action.

Well ain't that a big bag of dicks.  Preds-Sens would have been a much better final series.

I'm going Preds in 6.

I was thinking 5, but wof got there first.

Preds in 7

Worst part for me is I will miss the entire series as I'll be in France until June 7 then Italy until June 20..

I will miss the entire cup series and the americas cup series- 

so, go preds- 

i hope pk suban levels Crosby. 

This is weird pickem this year. Since we all have Nashville, no matter what happens in the final, Chester and Figment still win.

Just sayin':

CROSBY AND MALKIN IN THE POST-SEASON

Goals — Crosby: 56; Malkin: 55

Assists — Crosby: 101; Malkin: 98

Points — Crosby: 157; Malkin: 153

Points per-game: Crosby: 1.11; Malkin: 1.07

Looks like the preds are going to shake this one off. Bad penalty costs them, they get beat for a second and then an open goal.  They need to try to lot get it away and see what they can in game two.

See post above. Crosby is in scary mode. He's demolished at least 3 preds to get possession and Set up 2  goals

Lets start with the bullshit called back goal, the go to Jarncrok never touched 72 and got a penalty, the Neal call was valid, then go to Cindy with the full interference behind the net right infront the net and no call. Yep Buttman strikes again 

dont count the preds out, they've been all other the pens since the 2nd...

The pens have had only 8 shots ? none in the 2nd....

(Disclaimer:  I did not get to watch the game last night.   The following is based entirely on morning-after highlights and reading.)

Both the NHL and NBC-sports would dearly love to forego the remaining games and just hand the cup to the Pens.

CBC seems disinclined to buck that tide so far.

Seriously, the Pens got ZERO shots in the 2nd period?  When was the last time ANY team went a whole period with no shots and won the game?

Other side of that coin.... WTF Rinne?  four goals on 16 shots?   I can kinda give him some grace on the 4th... it was the first rubber he'd seen in an hour... but still

The second I believe was off his Defense man. Game 2 will be more telling. If the Preds win, I will hold to my bet that they win in 5.

5 hours ago, Figment said:

(Disclaimer:  I did not get to watch the game last night.   The following is based entirely on morning-after highlights and reading.)

Both the NHL and NBC-sports would dearly love to forego the remaining games and just hand the cup to the Pens.

CBC seems disinclined to buck that tide so far.

Seriously, the Pens got ZERO shots in the 2nd period?  When was the last time ANY team went a whole period with no shots and won the game?

Other side of that coin.... WTF Rinne?  four goals on 16 shots?   I can kinda give him some grace on the 4th... it was the first rubber he'd seen in an hour... but still

apparently not since they started counting shots...in 1957.

Yeah, its only game one, so their both feeling each other out.

The pens were held to no shots in the 2nd. The preds were clearly the more aggressive team in the 2nd.

The 2nd goal on Rinne was a power play goal and a 5 on 3, i think.

The 3rd goal was off his player and into the net, nothing he could do there.

So really it was a close game, I thought the pens looked terrible in game one, and could be a whole lot better.....

Go Preds go...

i wouldn't say close...i thought the preds were clearly the better team in game one. they scored first but had in called back for off side (which it was), as some one mentioned the 5on3 should have been 5on4 but the pens scored on the only shot they could muster, then the own goal.  the sheary goal and the guentzal goal were the only "real" goals the pens got.  the pens should be thanking their lucky stars they got the win and the preds have to try not to let wierd luck fuck with their heads.

Miserable night. I found myself in a bar in South Chicago last night near the White Sox field. They couldn't pull out a win against $&@#! Boston, and &$#& Pittsburgh found Rinne's glove side.

And I didn't order the wings. Regrettable decision number 3,538.

On 6/3/2017 at 10:08 PM, dyslexic dog said:

I'm enjoying the AHL playoffs right now. 2OT win tonight. Anyway, glad also to see that Nash beat the Penguins tonight.

You're a Griffins fan?

Our Colorado Eagles took the ECHL Kelly Cup, 4 game shutout ended tonight over South Carolina.

As for the stupid Penguins, what are the chances that Murray gets pulled for Fleury? That seems the kind of thing Sullivan would do.

Yeah, I even get to work as an off ice official every so often. Penalty Box is the best. Mostly TOI and stuff. They announced the ECHL last night on the SCF. Congrats.

1 hour ago, dyslexic dog said:

Yeah, I even get to work as an off ice official every so often. Penalty Box is the best. Mostly TOI and stuff. They announced the ECHL last night on the SCF. Congrats.

And congrats on your Griffins so far, Syracuse seems outclassed.

Penalty box official, sweet gig, best seat in the house.

Here is the final rank, none of us had Pittsburgh, it seems we're all of bunch of emotional iconoclasts.

1. Chester 57
2. Figment 52
3. Keith 45
4. Mikewof 39
6. Peacefrog 36
7. Dyslexic Dog 34
8. Hard Aground 27
9. Tax Man 24
10. USA

Congratulations Chester, Figment and Keith, who really shit all over us, but Chester especially, he was actually 60% of the mean in this one, which is very high given that we all pretty much had the same picks toward the end.

Man I totally got jobbed in the 2nd round!  ;)

Bonus round:  Which team will pick up Chris Neil for 2017-18?

I find this to be an interesting moment of contrast for the last of the dying breed.  

Shawn Thornton retires gracefully and takes a front-office job with the Panthers.  (not the Bruins, to my surprise)

Neil "sees the writing on the wall" and pisses on the carpet as he storms out the door of the team he's played his entire NHL career

I'm surprised none of the media have tracked down John Scott for an op-ed on the topic.

6 hours ago, Figment said:

Man I totally got jobbed in the 2nd round!  ;)

Bonus round:  Which team will pick up Chris Neil for 2017-18?

I find this to be an interesting moment of contrast for the last of the dying breed.  

Shawn Thornton retires gracefully and takes a front-office job with the Panthers.  (not the Bruins, to my surprise)

Neil "sees the writing on the wall" and pisses on the carpet as he storms out the door of the team he's played his entire NHL career

I'm surprised none of the media have tracked down John Scott for an op-ed on the topic.

ya, i really appreciated chris all these year as a senator...he is a tough but honest hombre.  he actually scored a  few pretty important goals.  but i think he's fooling himself about any more hockey, he should've retired gracefully.

On June 18, 2017 at 0:00 AM, chester said:

What do I win??? 

Thanks for doing the numbers Mike. Three peat for the Pens in 17/18.

Something from Teaky's desk.