• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
chester

NHL 2016-2017

watching senators leafs in ottawa. 1/2 way through the third and it's a 4-4 barn burner. 19 year old, arizona born (!!) first overall pick austin mathews has scored all 4 leaf goals...that's right 4 goals.

predictions? vancouver will, once again, struggle to make the playoffs, and no cup parade here. but who fucking cares.

Yes, but the Swedish chef line will get a lot of points..... i hope...

predictions? vancouver will, once again, struggle to make the playoffs, and no cup parade here. but who fucking cares.

Yes, but the Swedish chef line will get a lot of points..... i hope...

they're 4-0!!!!

Hockey fan puts nachos under urinal while taking a piss.

nhl-fan-uses-under-urinal-space-to-stash

https://sports.vice.com/en_us/highlight/horrifying-nhl-fan-stashes-nachos-under-urinal-during-a-piss

hey, nobody will steal them!

I forgot all about that awesome Warren Zevon song, with David Letterman or the crowd screaming "hit somebody."

This song picks me up a little bit. A lot. Hard few months for my beloved Avs, But the Habs are ripping the shit out the joint and I got to listen to them in French. And Edmonton!

I forgot all about that awesome Warren Zevon song, with David Letterman or the crowd screaming "hit somebody."

This song picks me up a little bit. A lot. Hard few months for my beloved Avs, But the Habs are ripping the shit out the joint and I got to listen to them in French. And Edmonton!

good one, mike. "his heart wasn't in it but the crowd ate it up" that summed up a lot of players, derek beugard as a most tragic, recent for instance.

3/4 summary:

habs started great but are on a bit of a wobble...including carey

columbus! holy fuck but also in a bit of a wobble

the capitals started slow but my effing god they are just filling the net, scoring 5+ every game out...holy crap

the pens have been solid all year, crosby is saying "not so fast" with his play

the leafs! fun to watch, the yearlings have been incredible. mathews is great but marner is fantastic to watch. that skinny little kid is fucking everywhere on the ice

The oilers! yes the kid is incredible...blazingly fast and can do it all at top speed. should make the playoffs either 3rd or wild card depending on...

if the kings keep their roll going

sharks and ducks...yup

boston....hmmmm. maybe.

so sad about the lightning

winnipeg, sorry not this year. lot's of good pieces and laine and schieffle are great but still can't find the goaltending you need

sorry wings fans, i think you need to rethink that old "detroit doesn't rebuild it reloads" thing

and finally my senators: definitively just good enough so far. karlsson has improved defensively at a slight expense of offense. picking up condon saved their ass, he's played really well in anderson's absence. stone is a legitimate top line forward. i like hoffman. i'm a big bobby ryan fan but he has not been anywhere within sight of where he should be.

I had a crazy dream last night, so vivid. I dreamed that Iggy got traded to the Habs right before the deadline to make one last run at the Cup.

At least, I think it was the Habs, maybe it was the Sens or the Leafs, I just remember that it was a powerhouse Canadian team. And that he took our hopes with him up to Canada and that he did well.

Kind of a reverse-Bourque.

I'm pulling for Iggy, I think he can help anyone in a Cup run. And whomever gets him is going to be my team, hopefully the Sens, but anyone. I've always liked Iggy from back in his Flames days because I liked the Flames from back when they were in Atlanta and their farm team was the beloved Colorado Flames of my youth.

Anyway, go Iggy.

I didn't get the whole ticker, but this is the end of the road for Joe Louis Arena? Why would you guys do something so drastic to one of the world's most iconic hockey venues?

Anyway, Iggy went to the Kings, I was hoping for the Sens, but this might be his last rodeo.

The Joe is almost 40 years old, has had minimal upgrades over the years (City of Detroit went bankrupt) and is not as well set up for luxury boxes as newer arenas.

The new arena is part of a multi-block redevelopment including office space and hotels, just north of the ball parks and theater district.

Personal point - I was there for the first game. There is a certificate in my storage boxes signed by Ted Lindsay, and I think Coleman Young.

The cap finally caught up with them. Sad, after so many years of being an elite team.

The Joe is beyond seedy, it could have been renovated, but not to be. A lot of memories in that building.

The cap finally caught up with them. Sad, after so many years of being an elite team.

The Joe is beyond seedy, it could have been renovated, but not to be. A lot of memories in that building.

biggest salary package in the league with out of the playoffs personal...ouch. More than the penguin with Crosby, Malkin, letang,more than Chicago with kane,toews,keith,Crawford,hossa; more than washington with...that must sting

biggest salary package in the league with out of the playoffs personal...ouch. More than the penguin with Crosby, Malkin, letang,more than Chicago with kane,toews,keith,Crawford,hossa; more than washington with...that must sting

A lot of that was cap games in prior years, signing people to deals until they are 40. Franzen hasn't played more than a game in three years, and is still on the payroll. Add in deals for players like Nyquist and Tatar that should be carrying the team but can't score or hold their own in position battles, Howards' contract and it added up. There was a reason why Babcock bolted for Toronto, and it sure was not the ownership. They have some good young players, Larkin, Mantha, Athanasious, but there are too many holes, especially on defense, and goaltending needs to be hugely better for them to be competitive.

I didn't get the whole ticker, but this is the end of the road for Joe Louis Arena? Why would you guys do something so drastic to one of the world's most iconic hockey venues?

Anyway, Iggy went to the Kings, I was hoping for the Sens, but this might be his last rodeo.

The Joe isn't seen as an icon in Detroit. Lots of good teams played there, but the arena wasn't well designed and is a complete waste of prime riverfront real estate. Even people who are too young to know will tell you that the Olympia is the real iconic hockey venue in Detroit.

The Joe isn't seen as an icon in Detroit. Lots of good teams played there, but the arena wasn't well designed and is a complete waste of prime riverfront real estate. Even people who are too young to know will tell you that the Olympia is the real iconic hockey venue in Detroit.

I read that it ranked number 4 for hockey venues by fans, but if it's a crap building, then so be it. Seems like too much change at once, yeah I assume they floated the bond for the new arena some time ago ... They move to the East and have to adapt to that open style, Illitch dies, and then a new venue. Seems like the "reloading" might last a while.

Anyway, my dream was wrong, sorta, but Iggy went to the Kings, and they are behind, but they still have a shot at the post.

Kane and the BreadMan are clicking. Watch out.

With Hossa, Keith, Toews and two decent goaltenders...Yeah.

don't see how the hawks aren't the favourites in the west, overall really.

Because Minnesota is psychotic and San Jose has something to prove.

Because Minnesota is psychotic and San Jose has something to prove.

That's true but given how great chicago's core is and the fact that they have been there again and again in the last years i wouldn't bet against them. things have changed since mid feb. at that time i thought boston wouldn't make it and was pretty damn sure that this would be a "lost season" fo r tampa and now the bruins are solidly in and i'm guessing that the lightening will be in the last wild card spot by the time the weekend is over. kucherov is a superstar.

My son turns 24 next month. This is the first

Time the Red Wings have missed the playoffs in his life.

Look on the bright side ... if they continue their "reloading" for much longer, you Wings fans can revert to your old time hockey fun of throwing beer on players and cops. Not as good as winning, but it's fun.

Look on the bright side ... if they continue their "reloading" for much longer, you Wings fans can revert to your old time hockey fun of throwing beer on players and cops. Not as good as winning, but it's fun.
the bright side is that the avs suck just as much.

And in other almost hopeless yet entertaining news....the flyers are on a rampage lighting up the islanders with 5 in the first and two players posting Gordy Howe hat tricks...

Let's go flyers-

No, my beloved Avs suck more. They suck first round draft pick more.

But the Oilers, Sens and Jackets are all contenders this season, so life is good. And the Hawk are having you Wings fans eat your hearts a bit, a little bonus.

The senators have chosen to suck badly to end the season.

It's okay, to a point. Don't let them get recent tape, save the injuries. Swap with the Leafs would avoid the Pens right?

The senators have chosen to suck badly to end the season.

It's okay, to a point. Don't let them get recent tape, save the injuries. Swap with the Leafs would avoid the Pens right?

if they don't manage to win 2 of their last 6, they could miss the playoffs! tampa would need to win out but it's a possibility. they have some injuries, carlson missed yesterday and they don't have the talent to miss their one superstar. The pens are sucking too and are hurting bad

PLAYER DATE STATUS DESCRIPTION O. Maatta, D Feb 16, 2017 IR Left hand surgery T. Daley, D Feb 21, 2017 IR Knee surgery K. Letang, D Feb 22, 2017 IR Upper-body injury C. Hagelin, LW Mar 10, 2017 day-to-day Lower-body injury R. Hainsey, D Mar 15, 2017 day-to-day Upper-body injury E. Malkin, C Mar 16, 2017 day-to-day Shoulder T. Sestito, LW Mar 20, 2017 day-to-day Upper-body injury J. Guentzel, C Mar 21, 2017 day-to-day Concussion

letang, daley and matta are all on IR so 3 of their top 4 defence not even close to coming back. even if malkin, hainsey and haglin comeback the pens won't be a serious threat without all that high end d

No, my beloved Avs suck more. They suck first round draft pick more.

But the Oilers, Sens and Jackets are all contenders this season, so life is good. And the Hawk are having you Wings fans eat your hearts a bit, a little bonus.

i don't pay the blackhawks even the slightest bit of attention. Are they any good this year?

When will someone ding Crosby?

That fucking lumberjack-

When they feel like retiring from the NHL, unfortunately.

But if we're honest about the situation, it's a league full of lumberjacks. Crosby was only doing what everyone else does, what's been done to him a million times.

As "enforcement" fighting is being eliminated from the game, it's becoming more and more prominent, and the on-ice officials can't do much about it without SERIOUSLY affecting the flow of the game.

I do think that the league's "supplementary discipline" approach could be helpful, though. If guys become known hackers and are caught on video and get fined after the fact, things will change a little. This aligns well with the "more offense more offense more more more" mantra of the league, so if the NHLPA gets out of the way there is hope yet for Little Johnny Hockey to survive.

When will someone ding Crosby?

That fucking lumberjack-

When they feel like retiring from the NHL, unfortunately.

But if we're honest about the situation, it's a league full of lumberjacks. Crosby was only doing what everyone else does, what's been done to him a million times.

As "enforcement" fighting is being eliminated from the game, it's becoming more and more prominent, and the on-ice officials can't do much about it without SERIOUSLY affecting the flow of the game.

I do think that the league's "supplementary discipline" approach could be helpful, though. If guys become known hackers and are caught on video and get fined after the fact, things will change a little. This aligns well with the "more offense more offense more more more" mantra of the league, so if the NHLPA gets out of the way there is hope yet for Little Johnny Hockey to survive.

The real irony is that for as much as people bitched about the enforcers like Probert and Domi, this crap happens because they are not there. When those guys played, the other team knew that if you took runs and cheap shots at their star players, you would answer to them. Or your star players would.

amen.

Caps-bruins would have been a 4.5-game snoozer. Caps-leafs will be much more interesting.

and sens-bruins is going to be a better matchup too.

ok, I'll start....

Caps in 6

Sens in 6

Pens in 5

Rangers in 7

Hawks in 5

Wild in 7

Ducks in 6

Oilers in 7. This one is my flyer. My head says Burns and company could pull it together but my gut says no.

It kills me to go against Edmonton, I hope I'm wrong.

Sens in 5

Habs in 7

Jackets in 6

Wild in 7

San Jose in 5

Preds in 5

Caps in 6

Flames in 6

Caps over Leafs in 6...giving the leafs an extra win here because they have been good and exciting...if andersen is out....

Rangers over Montreal in 6...price or not, i'm not sold on the habs ability to score and Weber and 2 other D are currently listed as injured

Pens over Columbus in 6... no Letang and malkin, kunitz and Hagelin are all "day to day" if it was someone other than columbus who have faltered badly in the last couple of months...no repeat for Pittsburgh

Sens over the Bruins in 7...if anderson plays awesome and if Karlson is healthy

Oilers over Sharks in 7...if Thorton and Couture aren't back and healthy

Wild over Blues in 5

Calgary over Anahiem in 7...calling an upset here. Elliot has been great, the flames are healthy, Anahiem have a couple of D including Fowler winged and i just don't like them.

Chicago over Nashville (lots of injuries) in 4...Chicago goes all they way to its 4th cup in 8 years...dynasty

Wild in 6

Yes, I'm a Hawks homer but to take Nashville over them after they lost 4 out of 5 this season is funny. Especially with the playoff experience on the Hawks team and injuries on the Preds.

Go Habs! I want them to do well.

Wild are fading.

sens in 6

pens in 6

oilers in 7

Habs in 7

wild in 6

caps in 6

hawks in 5

flames in 7

I think only Mike has said Nashville and in 5!!!!! that's just crazy talk. still time for a do over Mike.

Nashville has soft ice and Hossa is overextended, even with those stacked Hawks lines and home ice, never underestimate how soft ice can slow down a team on those road games.

Mike, the Hawks have been playing their Rockford team for the last 2 weeks. Their top guys are rested.

Yeah, and I've no doubt that they'll do well on their home ice. I guess that the Hawks are too stacked to lose at this point, but I think that Nashville has a shot.

I think only Mike has said Nashville and in 5!!!!! that's just crazy talk. still time for a do over Mike.

Nashville has soft ice and Hossa is overextended, even with those stacked Hawks lines and home ice, never underestimate how soft ice can slow down a team on those road games.

Oh Man, Mike...banking on soft ice seems like a hail mary but...go hard! :)

As to my call or a Calgary win: turns out the Flames are 1-26 at the Honda Centre (i guess that should be Center) going back to 2004! One win there in 13 years, a playoff victory in 2006...yowza. Still, I made it and I'm stickin' to it!

Shit.......I missed the first round....

Will do the next round if all good with that!!!!

I wasn't even aware that anyone watched NHL anymore..... How many teams are there, and how many get into the playoffs?

Kinda like Special Olympics on ice......

Ok - late entry here but it was posted on time for the NHL bracket challenge. 1 out of 5 first night.

Chicago 5

Minnesota 6

Anaheim 5

Edmonton 7

Montreal 5

Boston 6

Washington 5

Columbus 7

I wasn't even aware that anyone watched NHL anymore..... How many teams are there, and how many get into the playoffs?

Kinda like Special Olympics on ice......

Well, it ain't LTP but at least there's beer!

CHI in 5

STL in 7

CAL in 7

EDM in 6

BOS in 5

WAS in 5

COL in 5

missed one.

MON or NYR? :D

Rangers...........

Pekka Rinne looks like he could stop a flaming meteor that crashed through the roof and screamed toward the net. Finland represents!

Some good hockey being played. The Blues have the wild on the ropes. Nice come back by the senators and the leafs in game 2.

You Chicago in 5 guys are a special kind of stupid this year, eh? :)

Back to back road shutouts by the Preds. Got to love it.

MS

Yes, I'm a Hawks homer but to take Nashville over them after they lost 4 out of 5 this season is funny. Especially with the playoff experience on the Hawks team and injuries on the Preds.

Go Habs! I want them to do well.

Wild are fading.

MS

We'll see! The stats were so slanted towards the Hawks but now it's it's a coin toss.

It's a coach's conundrum in sports. If you rest your guys and they come out cold, it was a bad choice.

If you keep playing them and someone gets injured, you're the worst coach ever.

And the Cubs got swept by the Pirates this weekend...Ugh.

Well, the weather was nice.

Anyone else catch the sudden death overtime Habs-Rangers Game #2?

Best hockey game I've seen for awhile, tonight should be good!

I was an on again/off again FWB for a gal that had entirely too good a time before she was 21. Tonight I kept having one line she said to me once go over & over in my head ...

"I hate New York, everybody blows their wad too early..."

Last week I would've said Habs in 7. Tonight it was obvious they'll win it in 5. Radulov's goal was an all guts thing of beauty.

I was an on again/off again FWB for a gal that had entirely too good a time before she was 21. Tonight I kept having one line she said to me once go over & over in my head ...

Last week I would've said Habs in 7. Tonight it was obvious they'll win it in 5. Radulov's goal was an all guts thing of beauty.

I'll never get that out of my head. She summed up the city and the team perfectly.

You Chicago in 5 guys are a special kind of stupid this year, eh? :)

Back to back road shutouts by the Preds. Got to love it.

MS

Yeah, I voted with my heart. Next round will be different.

I haven't had a chance to watch much of the Chicago-Nashville series. Are the hawks just flat or is Rinne stealing the games?

Preds are winning at every level, top to bottom. They look hungry and play with desperation.

The Hawks are skating around...

Preds are winning at every level, top to bottom. They look hungry and play with desperation.

The problem with Chicago is that they've been a Cup factory for the past few years, and short of giving everyone amnesia, there isn't much that Q can do that hasn't already been studied and linked to his player metrics. If you see that they're playing flat it's probably Hossa and Q trying to find something new that works. That's mostly chess, it's hard to play chess when the Finn in net has developed superpowers, and the Nashville defenders are made of flying concrete.

I still wonder about that soft ice in Nashville, but playing lower energy in that kind of slower game might help them down there.

Bulls win a playoff game

Cubs get swept by the Pirates

Blackhawks get shut out in back to back games on home ice.

It's alternate universe time

Erik Karlsson is the best player on the planet right now.

And Craig Anderson is both the best and the worst goalie right now.

If Andy ever took an ADD pill he would be a brick wall. Sens!

bye bye Flames.....

you know when i called for a flames upset i didn't have much hope that they would actually do it but swept? sheesh, i thought they could win at home twice and go down in 6. already articles saying elliot is gone.

on a happy note! Sens up 3-1! Anderson played great last night, they have managed to stuff Bergeron and Marchand, Karlsson continues to make passes most can't and Bobby Ryan is back! Gord Downey was at the garden last night cheering for the B's...love everything about you Gord except for that.

I'm 1-1 but in my "bracket" pools I had CHI going to the finals so I figured those were all busted.... except that nobody else had the preds winning that series so it's a wash.

Now I just need Minnesota to find some friggin offense and make something happen there.

I'm happy for Mike Yeo and all, but I'd be just as happy for him to lose in 7.

the Rangers looked like a team on a mission in OT last night...............

1 more baby tomorrow night (and guess who's going :D )

I might possible lose every series. I'm the Matt Millen of Hockey it looks like. Is it possible to get a negative number? Just wait until next year.

the hawks scored 3 goals...3...did not see that coming.

quit watching the sharks and oilers because well other stuff and it looked like the sharks were going to win...woke up to the oilers win in overtime. everytime i watch minutes of that series it looks like the sharks are the better team but now they have to win 2 in a row.

Oiler's came out on a roll in OT, and took it too the sharks, Oiler's missed 3 or 4 quality scoring chances.

it really should have been over much quicker.

Sharks need to do what they did in the 7-0 game, they played good hockey.

Well NY actally showed up past the 2nd period this time, so it will take 2nd. The second round will be easier for the Habs.

Sorry habs fans, but I told you so.

Send and Bruins underway. The sens have to better than game 5 to finish this. Props to the bruins, tukka is a great goalie, chara is a 40 yr old monster and they have some great kids.

Results from First Round, Figment and Chester knocked our teeth in.

1 Figment, 38
2 Chester, 32
3 Keith, 26
4 Hard Aground, 20
5 Mikewof, 19
6 Peacefrog, 18
6 Tax Man, 18
8 Dyslexic Dog, 13

The anomalies ... for some reason, we all picked Washington, but only Peacefrog correctly picked St. Louis. Peace, what did you see there?

Second Round ...

Preds over Blues in 7, Blues always seem to dismantle Nashville though, this one worries me.

Edmonton over Anaheim in 6

Sens over Rangers in 6, I love the Rangers, but Go Sens, gotta believe.

Caps over Pens in 7, But Pens looked better than the Caps in the previous round.

Been some great hockey even if it didn't align with my picks.

Blues in 7

Rangers in 6

Penguins in 6

Edmonton 7