Sign in to follow this  
Brent Cummings

Whars my next boat?

After asking a question about putting bottom paint on a Melges 24 in the Sportboat Forum I thought Id start a new thread and ask opinions about a next boat. I am in small town Canada. We sail from MAy to October at the most. I sail Monday night white sail races and wednesday spinnaker beercan racing. w/l courses in mostly light air. I am looking for a boat I can trailer myself with a half ton truck. Want to be able to take the boat home at the end of the year and want the possibility of going to a regatta or two. Dry sailing is not an option at my club without a pile of work. Neither is cleaning the bottom every week. So the boat must live in a berth up to 6 months a year with bottom paint. I had it narrowed down to a Melges 24 but seems it is sacreligious to consider putting bottom paint on a Melges. So what are some other options? I see in the Classified section an Antrim 27, and Viper 28. Also considered a FT 10. But I think I want to limit crew to four or five. And at least for now thinking under $20,000 for budget. Although I would consider higher for the perfect boat. Someone has suggested a B25? Kind of like a sprit boat. But not a deal breaker. What others?

What are the rest of the boats in the fleet/what is the rating band you're after?

If your racing white sails, then a boat that can carry a 155 becomes interesting compared to a sport boat trying to go downwind with a blade jib...

When you say going to a regatta or two, do you mean a OD regatta (a la the M24) or are you talking an out of town PHRF regatta?

All that said, you could probably pick up an FT 7.5 for 20k or so, and that fills most all your requirements....

J80 lives fine in h2o (vinylester) and is easy to ramp launch with a proper trailer, gin pole and tow strap. Easier to bottom paint too.

What are the rest of the boats in the fleet/what is the rating band you're after?

If your racing white sails, then a boat that can carry a 155 becomes interesting compared to a sport boat trying to go downwind with a blade jib...

When you say going to a regatta or two, do you mean a OD regatta (a la the M24) or are you talking an out of town PHRF regatta?

All that said, you could probably pick up an FT 7.5 for 20k or so, and that fills most all your requirements....

Im mainly interested in the wednesday racing so dont care about carrying any large genoas. Most of our fleet are older mid 30 footers. J35's, J36', etc. FAstest boat would be a Farr30. Any regattas would likely still be PHRF racing.

I think the B-25 would be almost ideal at the smaller size range . Lifting keel option so easy to trailer and keep at home, but perfectly fine with bottom paint (two part Epoxy primer first and then racing finish, obviously) Light air monster, but goes well in the moderate to heavy stuff too. Great W/L boat. In SoCal sails well to the rating of 132 in flat water and in chop. Pretty comfortable to sail as well. Or

Love my s2 7.9 (dagger board).

There are a number in Canada, including over at Cedar Island near Leamington.

It is not as hot as some of the boats mentioned above, but it races well.

Biggest advantage is 5'5" head room, roomy interior, and suitability for two or three handed cruising.

Quarter berths are quite roomy.

You should be able to get a very good one for $20K US

Avoid project boats . .

(Photos from Class Assoc web site)

boatsf2b.jpeg

boatsf4b.jpeg

I dry sail but there is an 830 in Halifax (formerly based in Bras d'Or lakes) that has bottom paint. For PHRF racing, it won't make much difference in my opinion. Especially if you're racing against dissimilar boats...

The 830 is s great boat - you should definitely consider it.

I dry sail but there is an 830 in Halifax (formerly based in Bras d'Or lakes) that has bottom paint. For PHRF racing, it won't make much difference in my opinion. Especially if you're racing against dissimilar boats...

The 830 is s great boat - you should definitely consider it.

Thanks. Any other opinions on The Viper 830. Seems to tic a lot of my boxes. And the one in the classified section seems like a decent deal. Not terribly far from me.

I raced against one when they first came out. I asked the owner what he thought of it and he thought it was the best PHRF boat he had owned and he has had a lot of top performance boats over the years.

B-25 is a great light air boat. Easily trailerable at just under 2000 lbs. 155% genoa. If you're primarily sailing in under 12 kts. of wind, take the penalty and put a masthead kite on it.