Sign in to follow this  
dave202

Whitsundays on a Hobie 16

Here's a short clip of my recent 8 day camp around the Whitsunday Islands on my Hobie 16, accompanied by a couple of Calypso 16's. Perfect place for a beach cat.

• Downvote 1

Very cool video! I presume you had camping gear for 8 days loaded up on that thing?

Very cool video! I presume you had camping gear for 8 days loaded up on that thing?

Yep, all gear/food/water is stored in dry bags on the tramp. We pack very light!

I did a similar thing over 2 weeks on a Taipan 4.9 with my brother. It remains one of my best holidays.

Just realised my profile pic is Crayfish Bay, Hook Island on the Taipan.

I did a similar thing over 2 weeks on a Taipan 4.9 with my brother. It remains one of my best holidays.

Just realised my profile pic is Crayfish Bay, Hook Island on the Taipan.

Crayfish Beach was one of our favourite's, only spent two nights there, could easily have stayed more. Taipan would have been perfect out there. I love my H16 but I reckon a Tornado or Nacra 5.8 would carry the gear better. We will definately be returning next year

Bloody fantastic vid mate, reminds us what is important. The fades from going down the mine to snorkel footage deserves an award. Can't wait to show wife who says we are roughing it in an F28.

Peter

Don't want to hijack your thread but it bought back good memories of my Taipan in the Whitsundays. 80kg of food, water, spearguns and booze on the tramp.

If you Google Taipan 4.9 Whitsundays Cruise you can find the write up from the time.

post-33395-0-60439400-1476869541_thumb.jpg

post-33395-0-86137600-1476869643_thumb.jpg

post-33395-0-40488400-1476869697_thumb.jpg

What was your itinerary? Food? Beer? Accommodation?

2 nights at Dugong Beach, 2 nights at Crayfish Beach and 3 nights at Whitehaven Beach. Whitehaven is the prettiest but Crayfish was the favourite because there are no day tourists like at Whitehaven. Next time we will be ignoring the "official" campsites and beach camping, making it up as we go along.

We ate really well considering no ice/refridgeration, various cereals for breakfast, mainly dried fruits and nuts/muesli bars throughout the day, and freeze dried hiking style meals for dinner which are awesome after a solid day on the water. Once you add all that to the camping gear and 40 lites of water that we set out with and my crew and I (134 kg total) the Hobie 16 was well over loaded. No beer, except for the few we bought from the day charter boats at Whitehaven.

Ignore my lazy crew having a snooze. All our camping gear, clothes and food was in the red and black bags. Water was seperate in 4 x 10 litre bladders

P1010018.jpg

Our campsite at Dugong Beach

P1010086.jpg

Sledder and her crew

P1010030.jpg

Don't want to hijack your thread but it bought back good memories of my Taipan in the Whitsundays. 80kg of food, water, spearguns and booze on the tramp.

If you Google Taipan 4.9 Whitsundays Cruise you can find the write up from the time.

Great report. We had the time of our lives. Will definately be going back next year if your keen!

Bloody fantastic vid mate, reminds us what is important. The fades from going down the mine to snorkel footage deserves an award. Can't wait to show wife who says we are roughing it in an F28.

Peter

Cheers, would be awesome up there in an F28. We shared Whitehaven Beach with a small family in an F24, little more luxurious than a Hobie 16.

p.s. Remember you owe me a ride on Boom! ;)

Dave,

I have kids now so I will be going back on an Elliott. I am trying to work out how I can get the Elliott into Crayfish Bay for an extended stay. With the bulb I can't dry out on the beach.

Its my favorite part.

Badass trip! Well done!

As you get older, keep the spartan approach. You stay close to your surroundings.

Our boat only has a couple of single coffin berths. So we improvise. Here's a shot of accommodations for the wife and I a couple of weeks ago. Four man tent with a large airmatress inside, pitched on the forward trampoline.

Keep it Simple!

Ip6DoMG.jpg

We won't be making it back to the Whitsundays this year but made it to the Keppels instead.  We are planning on a Whitsunday trip next April.

• Downvote 1