• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
valtro45acp

Laser 2 spreader advice/help please

Hi, I have an old Laser 2, but am no sailor. It had one piece cast spreader on the mast and I broke it. It appears to be so out dated that no one I have found seems to be able to help or advise on it. The mast is 2" wide and 2.5" long. Can someone please advise me with a way to replace the spreader or add a new spreader bracket that will fit, or even a similar boat that uses the same size mast that I can get parts for. I need to bring this boat back to life.

Thanks for your time

Dry and Depressed.

Was the old one pinned/screwed to a bracket? I have used just plain aluminium tubing in place of a bespoke spreader. Drilled a hole for the pin at mast bkt and cut a slot for the wire at the tip.

Afaik, Laser 2s had diamonds, not spreaders, the original rigs had a tube that went through the rig perpendicular to the CL. Your best bet might be to try and use an off the shelf spreader fitting, cut the arms to length and rake them well forward.

One of my masts has a double diamond spreader setup.

First one is a Ronstan set (no longer in the catalog)

post-101699-0-92731200-1477792354_thumb.jpg

and the next is a homemade set

post-101699-0-17886700-1477792473_thumb.jpg

Pretty simple just a carriage bolt with a slot cut in it for the wire, a nut for adjusting tension and 1/2 inch copper pipe for the spreader.

You'll have to manufacture some base bracket to attach to the mast or maybe thru bolt it.

Forget all that crap - get two diameters of tube that fit snugly inside each other - cut two of the bigger diameter to length for the spreaders and put slots in one end of each, insert the smaller one through the mast and spreaders over the top, done. Choose diameter to match the hole in the mast.

Don't go mixing as many metals as Luigi Galvani above.

Another nice DIY solution for the OP.

I've had the mast for 3 years and never noticed that the spreaders were copper till last week, 38 years of galvanic corrosion and still mint.

Snapped a picture of a friends 87' Laser 2 diamond spreaders.

Not cast but tube n' tube as the other Duncan described.

Should be easy to fabricate.

post-101699-0-45890300-1477894098_thumb.jpg

Pic of the original one pice cast with a very rough weld repair and a similar spreader from another mast. I am not excited about drilling a giant hole in the mast to shove this rod through. I would be happier with a few rivet holes like I had before, but maybe it's just me.

post-63248-0-12573000-1478147280_thumb.jpeg

Have you tried asking Fogh Marine in Toronto, ON, Canada?
Or maybe there's a dealer in Ireland who can replace the spreader for you...

Another option:

The Laser 2 rig is a bit of an odd duck with some very strange Ian Bruce features.

The diamonds are one such oddball thing.

Most dinghies of this size use swept spreaders between the shrouds and the mast instead of the diamonds to support the mid panel of the mast.

Look at a 420 mast.

You could probably buy a 420 spreader bracket and spreaders and replace the diamond struts and wires and never know the difference.

SHC

On 10/31/2016 at 2:08 AM, wannabefd said:

Snapped a picture of a friends 87' Laser 2 diamond spreaders.

Not cast but tube n' tube as the other Duncan described.

Should be easy to fabricate.

post-101699-0-45890300-1477894098_thumb.jpg

Hi,

On my laser 2 there is a plastic insert that fits into the spreader tube, to capture the diamond wire.  This one looks like metal.

Does anyone know a part number for such an end cap?  My boat is missing one.  

thanks.