Sign in to follow this  
Point Break

WTF Australia

6 minutes ago, DtM said:

... and dribbling the Bundy down its chin !!!

It will wash off with some Fosters swill.

Got to love Australia!

If things go badly over the next  24 hours I am likely to have my first total loss of a vessel in 50 years.

The insurance form will be a cracker!

Cause of loss: Bushfire

10 hours ago, lydia said:

Got to love Australia!

If things go badly over the next  24 hours I am likely to have my first total loss of a vessel in 50 years.

Damn. Damn. Good luck.

On 1/29/2019 at 9:57 AM, lydia said:

Got to love Australia!

Hope it works out OK for you and you don’t lose the boat, or anything else.......

FKT looks as if he is in a similar risky situation, but his boat is out on his mooring.

We had our own bit of excitement yesterday.... a fire in the forest across the road from us, got up to alert level, and I had the hoses out, generator ready and my wife was ready to evacuate with the grab bags. My boat is on the lawn out front too. Had a spectacular air show, with the water bombers reloading up and down the Sound all afternoon. All seems to be OK now though.......

CCECA334-EA89-4AA4-8516-429269E0DD0B.jpeg

..... And the black tree trunks with green jumpers on the other side of the Sound is where the big 2013 fire passed along  and jumped across 500 metres of water just west of the boat ramp and headed off down the Peninsula....

Guys, please stop adding to this thread... Please have some mercy...

You see, my daughter lives in Australia.

I can't sleep anymore.

As long as she stays in that razor thin crescent on the East Coast, she'll be fine. This does not include Queensland.

Still floating but no road access to it!

kermandie fire.jpg

I thought you folks were upside down? I guess that's progress.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, lydia said:

Still floating but no road access to it!

kermandie fire.jpg

Use one of your other boats to get to it?

The only boats lost in the Dunalley 2013 fire were some  tinnies ashore, all melted down to form bizarre rivulet sculptures on the ground. I forgot, there was one tinnie afloat, which got melted down to the waterline.......

4 hours ago, Laurent said:

Guys, please stop adding to this thread... Please have some mercy...

You see, my daughter lives in Australia.

I can't sleep anymore.

A bit out of date (RIP Steve Irwin) but send her this to know what to look out for and where.

australian-immigration-settlement-map.jpg

It is not very complete either. The blue ringed octopus deserves a mention.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, nimbus said:

A bit out of date (RIP Steve Irwin) but send her this to know what to look out for and where.

australian-immigration-settlement-map.jpg

It is not very complete either. The blue ringed octopus deserves a mention.

Oh... Great...

My daughter lives between "Convicts" and "Giant Spiders", facing "Deranged Gunmen"....

:(

39 minutes ago, Laurent said:

Oh... Great...

My daughter lives between "Convicts" and "Giant Spiders", facing "Deranged Gunmen"....

That map is to encourage the tourists to come & visit. The actual situation is far, far worse. They left off the white pointer sharks and the killer penguins that abound off the Tasmanian coast.

FKT

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Laurent said:

Oh... Great...

That makes her a neighbor of meli.

Sorry.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

...killer penguins.. 

I must know more.

1 hour ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

That map is to encourage the tourists to come & visit. The actual situation is far, far worse. They left off the white pointer sharks and the killer penguins that abound off the Tasmanian coast.

FKT

And Drop Bears, you can't forget to mention the Drop Bears (or maybe that's what's meant by Man eating Koalas)

1 hour ago, VOA said:

Stinging jellies in sth west wa waters?

tropical north more likely 

Yeah no stinging jellies on South Coast of WA, although you do get them around the corner in Geographe Bay.

2 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

FKT

They also omitted the rabid tassie devils, the seals which eat the killer penguins and the kamikaze maggies....

This will cause some angst for insurers

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-02-01/former-policeman-sues-dead-driver-insurer-for-one-million/10772362

A former Queensland police officer left traumatised by a fatal car accident scene has successfully sued the dead driver's insurer for more than $1 million.

Key points:

• Former senior constable David Caffrey held a man's hand as he died in his wrecked car
  • He says he developed PTSD from his experiences as the crash scene
  • The dead driver's insurer was ordered to pay damages for Mr Caffrey's psychiatric harm

The Supreme Court found the late Byron Williams, who was speeding and intoxicated with amphetamines and cannabis when his car collided with a tree on the Sunshine Coast in 2013, had a legal duty of care not to expose the officer to psychiatric injury through his negligence.

11 hours ago, Shortforbob said:

This will cause some angst for insurers

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-02-01/former-policeman-sues-dead-driver-insurer-for-one-million/10772362

A former Queensland police officer left traumatised by a fatal car accident scene has successfully sued the dead driver's insurer for more than $1 million.

Key points:

• Former senior constable David Caffrey held a man's hand as he died in his wrecked car
  • He says he developed PTSD from his experiences as the crash scene
  • The dead driver's insurer was ordered to pay damages for Mr Caffrey's psychiatric harm

The Supreme Court found the late Byron Williams, who was speeding and intoxicated with amphetamines and cannabis when his car collided with a tree on the Sunshine Coast in 2013, had a legal duty of care not to expose the officer to psychiatric injury through his negligence.

It was a Queensland copper, so the Insurance company should have just bunged him an envelope of cash and he would have gone away happy.

Australia recorded its hottest month ever in January, with average temperatures exceeding 30C (86F) for the first time.

According to the Bureau of Meteorology, the extreme heat was "unprecedented" during the country's summer period.

At least five January days were among the 10 warmest on record, with daily national temperature highs of 40C.

is this a joke   86*s?  in your summer  and highs of 104*    ?     we have nights where it doesn't get below 95*....        we've had 30 days in a row where it 100*+