• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
Wolkenzug

Thomas Coville RTW attempt 2016

^^ Top shit

I don't really understand French, but hearing him crying at the end of the video got my eyes wet too. Soooo many emotions, soooo much effort being finally rewarded.

I guess TC will have to do two more gybes to get throug the finish line...

I realy hope this is new sailor of the year.... and not some spoiled AC bloke...

+1

Although let's wait for VG to be over first...

Less than 50 days is now almost guaranteed, remora gives 2.3 days, so with an Imoca.

Just got a Facebook post from Brest Town calling on a public gathering at the Marina from the 25th? Dangerous, but ...

If he can average 26 knots for the next 50 hours, he'll be there Christmas evening. The low looks to be cooperating, and he's been going at 28 knots in fairly flat water, so looking VERY possible.

Looking forward to saying "Merry Christmas Thomas and team." Thanks for this gift :)

Will you be there? Tough choice: family celebrations and sailing witness.

Christmas evening, no way :)

Anyway if he crosses the line rather late into the day which looks plausible; there is a strong chance (from BPV arrival) that he moors outside the natural harbour for a private dinner and makes an "official arrival" the next day, when pundits have awaken ;). Kind of 45 NM from the line.

ok, he arrives earlier, on Christmas afternoon, not Christmas evening.

Merry Christmas Thomas and team. Thanks for this gift

Something is odd with the tracker, as it appears that Joyon finished south of Ouessant, and Coville is going to do the same.

I thought they had to finish north of the island.

Something is odd with the tracker, as it appears that Joyon finished south of Ouessant, and Coville is going to do the same.

I thought they had to finish north of the island.

yes, but the latest course change (gybe?) is heading to the north side. Nothing odd in the latest tweet https://twitter.com/sodebo_voile/status/813057968514232321

Maybe he was distracted by the pilot? :)

He probably turned towards Brest after finishing and the positions were probably not taken so often as they are today. So I guess they just connected those two last dots and the line got to the false side of Ushant.

Thomas gibed north, very close to the finish. The odd thing is only the end of Joyon's route.

i see what you mean. I'm way from home, and figured it was the iPad, which kept crashing trying to show the map. Need a Universal Tracker

He probably turned towards Brest after finishing and the positions were probably not taken so often as they are today. So I guess they just connected those two last dots and the line got to the false side of Ushant.

Of course.

One gets used to good stuff too easily and forgets how it was before :)

Improvement: 8 j 10 h 26 m 28 s
DELTA for Joyon then still had to go 4950 nm or a whooping 9167 km

Average speed;24,09 knots...

Damn, al impressive.

All I can say is FUK Yeah! Way to sail like you stole it Thomas! Truly AWESOME and AMAZING! Heartiest Congratulations!

The Vendee Globe. Sidney Hobart. Thomas Coville. We live in amazing times to be a sailor.

Chapeau, Thomas. The accomplishment is amazing. The fact that you stuck with it through six attempts is incredible.

In the French dictionary, for the word Determination (or for that matter, any other language), there should be a picture of Thomas Coville. The man simply would not let go of trying to get this record. Respect.

He reveals in the first article link above that he had an infection in his right knee that evolved into a generlized infection!!! He treated himself with the antibiotics on board, but they seriously considered to re-route him towards Australia, because as he explains in the interview, "the next option was surgery"!!!

Is there anywhere a recording of his arrival to Brest. Unfortunately I missed it. :(

Tnx. I never thought I will be sorry for not taking my high-school french more seriously. ;)

The record run was even mentioned on the radio here in Finland. Apparently Thomas did never sleep for more than three hours continuously

hope we will learn a bit more about this knee injury

If I remember correctly he described it as an inflammation of lymphatics in his knee in his press conference.

And he explained how a female mental trainer (psychologist?) from New Zealand put him back in a state to be able to lead a big team and attack that record after hitting a container ship in the route du rhum(?).

Extraordinary man.

The crewed non stop round the world record has for many years been considered "the #1 sailing record". Not taking anything away from the fully crewed runs but what Thomas has achieved here is incredible and deserves just as much, if not more attention than BP's outright crewed record.

The crewed non stop round the world record has for many years been considered "the #1 sailing record". Not taking anything away from the fully crewed runs but what Thomas has achieved here is incredible and deserves just as much, if not more attention than BP's outright crewed record.

I would guess that any solo record should be viewed as superior to crewed races simply because its harder to sail alone around the world than to have help. I would also guess with the number of solo trimarans being built right now vs not having a new crewed one built in almost 10 years also shows the value of these records to the sailing industry. Macif was launched last year, then you have Gitana launch a full foiling solo trimaran and Banque Pop Launching a solo trimaran as well sometime next year, its clear the crewed thing is not a priority anymore. In fact I would guess most people don't even know IDEC is out there trying to break the crewed record.

This was linked from VPLP's Facebook page and describes how they came to modify Geronimo (circa 2001) to take 5 tons out of the boat and generally make it into the solo weapon it is now. http://www.vplp.fr/news/93/60/From-Geronimo-to-Sodebo-Ultim-fifteen-innovative-years.html Which supports their theory that these boats can be updated on an ongoing basis and remain competitive. With appropriate gratitude to Sodebo for their vision and support over such a long period.

Yep, in the Netherlands, main news website, little story and even a vid of arrrival, for a quick news site, very good.

www.nu.nl

Normal newswebsite too; http://nos.nl/artikel/2150133-fransman-zeilt-als-snelste-alleen-rond-de-aardbol.html

Absolutely a solo is higher rated then crewed IMHO, crewed you can bring a cabin boy for the owner :)

This was linked from VPLP's Facebook page and describes how they came to modify Geronimo (circa 2001) to take 5 tons out of the boat and generally make it into the solo weapon it is now. http://www.vplp.fr/news/93/60/From-Geronimo-to-Sodebo-Ultim-fifteen-innovative-years.html Which supports their theory that these boats can be updated on an ongoing basis and remain competitive. With appropriate gratitude to Sodebo for their vision and support over such a long period.

I can't remember if it has already been posted here , but for the record it is also interesting to know that the "new" foils, rudders, and centreboard have been bought second-hand from Oracle "Godzilla" !!

Regarding Sodebo, the image I'll keep in mind, from Thomas' arrival is that of this fond hug with and old man, who is actually Joseph Bougro the founder of Sodebo.

43 years ago he was a village pork butcher, 18 years ago he hired Thomas Coville before passing on to his daughters a family business now turning $ 450M and employing over 2000 people.

I think you need such individual entrepreneurs to be so steadfast sponsors and this old man owns a sizeable chunk of that record.

post-6361-0-26432300-1482834485_thumb.jpg

Regarding Sodebo, the image I'll keep in mind, from Thomas' arrival is that of this fond hug with and old man, who is actually Joseph Bougro the founder of Sodebo.

43 years ago he was a village pork butcher, 18 years ago he hired Thomas Coville before passing on to his daughters a family business now turning $ 450M and employing over 2000 people.

I think you need such individual entrepreneurs to be so steadfast sponsors and this old man owns a sizeable chunk of that record.

The old man looked as happy as even more touched than Coville.

I had never heard of (or paid any attention to) Sodebo before they started sponsoring Coville. Compared to buying TV spots, the sort of exposure their brand has received from years of sponsoring sailing has to be significantly cheaper, not to mention all the positive values involved.

I would guess that any solo record should be viewed as superior to crewed races simply because its harder to sail alone around the world than to have help. I would also guess with the number of solo trimarans being built right now vs not having a new crewed one built in almost 10 years also shows the value of these records to the sailing industry. Macif was launched last year, then you have Gitana launch a full foiling solo trimaran and Banque Pop Launching a solo trimaran as well sometime next year, its clear the crewed thing is not a priority anymore. In fact I would guess most people don't even know IDEC is out there trying to break the crewed record.

T,here is a budget issue also. IMHO I guess there is less money involved by sponsors and the media exposure is the same or more.

I can't remember if it has already been posted here , but for the record it is also interesting to know that the "new" foils, rudders, and centreboard have been bought second-hand from Oracle "Godzilla" !!

Good story--thanks.

+1. That is a fantastic photograph.

Standing on the shoulders of giants.

The record is one thing - an exceptional thing - but to stick with it and to achieve such an incredible benchmark on his 5th attempt should be taught in schools.

Bougro's belief and support and Colville's dogged persistence together overcame an otherwise insurmountable obstacle. Humankind needs more of this.

We're too quick to quit, all around, and as such we'll never know what it feels like to be Thomas Coville or Joseph Bougro today. Life's way better when success is hard earned.

^^+1

Sodebo posted the short version of Coville's arrival, which gives another glimpse of the many on the behind-the-scenes team. Joseph Bougro is shown (Sam too, but I couldn't find Nélias). So many who backed Coville's persistence. Great story.

I had no idea what Sodebo actually was until I read this post with the founder. That's ironic a butcher sponsoring Thomas plus the VG. 18 years and all the boats built must not have been cheap... How can that be cheaper than buying tv ad spots?

Well done Thomas! What's next?

I had no idea what Sodebo actually was until I read this post with the founder. That's ironic a butcher sponsoring Thomas plus the VG. 18 years and all the boats built must not have been cheap... How can that be cheaper than buying tv ad spots?

Well done Thomas! What's next?

Not sure how much Coville will be involved (translation?), but Armel Le Cléac'h mentions a TJV and another race around in 2019:

I really want to congratulate Thomas on this performance. It was his 5th attempt and he never let go, he always knew deep inside him that he was going to beat him and he did. Congratulations !!

It will now be hard to get this record and François Gabart (Macif) who wants to start next year, must say he will have to be very good to beat him!

On our side with the Team we will launch the Maxi Solo Banque Populaire IX next summer, a trimaran 32 meters long. We will have the opportunity to meet Thomas first on the Transat Jacques Vabre, then in a race around the world in 2019 ... It is certain that he became "the man to beat" within Of the Ultimate!

chrome trans of http://www.voile.banquepopulaire.fr/blog/sacree-performance-de-thomas-coville

^^+1

Sodebo posted the short version of Coville's arrival, which gives another glimpse of the many on the behind-the-scenes team. Joseph Bougro is shown (Sam too, but I couldn't find Nélias). So many who backed Coville's persistence. Great story.

Oliver de Kersuason the one with the red jacket. Former skipper owner of Geronimo(maybe)

^^+1

[vid above]

Oliver de Kersuason the one with the red jacket. Former skipper owner of Geronimo(maybe)

Yes, that's him at 1:54. He too must have been proud to see his boat still breaking records https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geronimo_(yacht)

^^+1

[vid above]

Yes, that's him at 1:54. He too must have been proud to see his boat still breaking records https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geronimo_(yacht)

Only the 2 floaters are still from Geronimo, the rest is new...

The cross-beams are from Geronimo too.

Sodebo's web:

"Sodebo Ultim’ est doté d’une nouvelle coque centrale plus légère et plus épurée de 31 mètres (contre 34 en version équipage).
Neuf mètres de flotteur ont été remplacés à l’avant pour améliorer les entrées d’eau. Les deux bras de liaison ont également été renforcés pour permettre d’installer des foils sur les flotteurs. Un nouveau mât de 35 mètres a été fabriqué dans le moule de celui de Groupama 3. Quant à la bôme d’origine, elle a simplement été modifiée. Et enfin, les foils, la dérive et les safrans de flotteurs proviennent du trimaran USA17 d’Oracle Racing."
Central hull new, shorter and lighter, reinforced cross-beams, float's bows changed, USA17 rudders and C-boards.
New mast from mould of G3.

Thanks Mooody, I like to know more in general of the background of the sponsors.

Oh, and Coville was a good sailor before he got chosen, did very well in mini circuit, but had some bad luck for the results in the minitransat..