• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
Mr. Ed

Enda thread

Am I the only Enda fan-boy out here?

A man who has James Joyce's line "The sea, the snotgreen sea, the scrotumtightening sea" on one side of his cockpit and John Masefield's "I must go down to the sea again . . ." on the other side, whose eloquence is combined with an aphasic ability to get the wrong word - his wonderful video explaining his boat to kids (it's like my caravan for the next three months") showed the coffeegrinder as what "pulls the mast up", his irrepressible joy in the absurdity of it, who calls Einstein ("Einstein defined a 'criteria' for madness as repeating the same thing again and again - and then expecting something different. By these criteria over the past week I qualify") as evidence for the prosecution in a self judged trial of culpability for his series of tactical brain-farts that led to his falling off the back of the fleet.

Today, he's posted another corker "Why? With economic uncertainty, Brexit, economic problems, housing crisis and hospital trollies, why am I away doing this lap of the Planet? Away from all the daily clutter and 'guff'. Why run such an event at all? Some say it’s madness (and I'm inclined to agree) but that's just a convenient way to describe what we can't describe or something we do not or cannot understand - such as the concept of infinity.”

Hooray for Enda!

Today's message from the great man:

<<

But we must move the cheese, cast a line, catch the salmon and dream, challenge ourselves, set targets - whatever they may be and go for it. Is to dream to do? Is a bad thought actually bad or a crime? Is to think to do?

It is paraphrasing from Thomas Moore, that today's Log ends

"I've often been told by learned shipmates
That wishing and the crime are one,
And Heaven punishes desires
As much as if the deed were done.

"If wishing damns us, you and I
Are damned to all our heart's content
Come, then, at least we may enjoy
Some pleasures for our punishment
on the ocean wave.

And penultimately to conclude, this night at sea, sure someday we'll all be a long time dead. So do it, whatever it may be.

>>

Enda's cool. All these skippers are one-offs - you gotta be to take on a VG or any big solo cruise, right?

Fact that I'm Irish and he's a carbon-copy lookalike to a Dubliner heading down here in a month or two to do some sailing with me has something to do with it I suppose.

I'd buy Enda a round or two at the Harp if he's ever in town.

About to "overtake" Alan Roura - though I realise that's a bit of an artefact. Nevertheless, am delighted for him that he's getting back into a bit of a race.

Well said mister Ed, he's deffo a corithian, and imho to (just ?) finish

Will be a remarkable achievement.

It was looking good fur a bit against the pack but I don't know now

At least he's in a race with Roura and the Dutchman. Must have been tough when he was was right out the back.

In his last communication he said he's looking for a favourable wind shift

To gybe south, then try and sail under northerly fleet.

Looking at the wind predictions he could well do that, be a massive buzz if he sailed under that northern bunch, go Enda!!

For Enda fans, good bits of info on him from his first appearance on today's English Live

The Vendée LIVE of the 3rd December '16

at 13:25 there are 6 mins of Enda talking about seeing 40 knots last night, so he chose 3 reefs no headsail. Currently he has 22 knots, and is a bit cold. He thinks it fun being live, is in the race for the adventure and personal reasons, has been doing a bit of writing, then gives a pub-like scene playing a small pipe and singing.

For Enda of course it's an adventure....he's in his 60's for chrissakes.

FYI: he did the '89 Whitbread on 'With Integrity'. Yea, what the hell he doing this for. Please....the guys got chops and loves the sea.

To Enda with cheers:

More Enda palmares:

"Having worked with safety at sea and in a liferaft factory, he developed the concept of a sailing liferaft and, as the result of a wager, set out from Marblehead, Boston in a 16 foot dinghy for home in Ireland - based on his design concept of a sailing liferaft. The traditional school of thought was that when your ship went down you hopped into your liferaft and waited for rescue. O'Coineen's concept was of a sailing life raft where, with increased seafaring to remote locations in the world, you could sail yourself to rescue and so forth.

The adventure element of his Atlantic voyage took over. It turned out to be an extraordinary 79 day odyssey, up along the US Coastline to Canada and included being rescued by the NATO Warfleet on so-called secret manoeuvres off the west coast of Ireland - having almost made it. Subsequently, some seven years later, he completed the voyage in a similar sized craft and became the first to cross the Atlantic West East in an inflatable."

The rate of attrition is getting high, what with ufo's and general breakages,

Enda now up to 16, could be a tortoise and hare scenario ?

The rate of attrition is getting high, what with ufo's and general breakages,

Enda now up to 16, could be a tortoise and hare scenario ?

Enda on The Vendée LIVE of the 7th December

starts at 7:40 Brilliant sailing, re damage to others, very concerned, could happen to anyone, spoke about what we can and can’t control, keeps on edge, quotes Churchill (?) about taking up too much space; did’t expect to do this well, south move paid off, sailing own race, extraordinary journey, quite the brain game, incredible highs and lows, small leak made for a wet sleeping bag, hate never far around the corner, (end with bad comms with Andi)

Not sure where the VG got this (French Live?), but Enda gives a good summary of his recent troubles:

Enda O Coineen (Kilcullen Voyager Team Ireland): “Welcome to the Indian Ocean. Wow ! The first to greet us was Rich Wilson on Great American IV. We trailed him by over 300 miles and finally caught him on the transition. I was feeling slightly smug and lucky that I was not having problems that other boats seemed to be having. The day started normal. The wind was increasing so I thought I would furl the Blast Reacher and sail with the main alone with one reef and perhaps try the second. Then all hell broke loose. In preparing the furl line for the J3 became undone and the sail opened out of control. Then the furling line on the blast reacher broke leaving me stuck with two headsails out of control in the now gale force winds. Sheets and sails flogged, all wrapped around each other in a mess, as the wind howled. Then there was an involuntary gibe. As the boom crossed it caught in the runner and the boat, with the keel the wrong way, went on its side. Eventually I got to the keel hydraulics and pulled it up the other way and released the runner in the chaos while bringing the new one on. Rather than crash gybe back and risk serious damage, I continued the wrong gybe and set out to sort out the mess below and on deck. Fortunately, after a few hours the wrong gybe, the wind moved around and it became the right gibe. And to complicate matters the radar dome, one third the way up the mast - for no apparent reason - came loose and crashed down pulling the wires out of the mast. Fortunately, we saved the unit, but I am not sure it will work again on this voyage and minus an important safety tool.”

http://www.vendeeglobe.org/en/news/16943/josse-and-de-pavant-abandon-prudence-and-caution-the-watchwords-for-thomson

Food for thought. Enda does mockery of VG video well too. Entertaining if you like irony and are fed up (pardon) with tasteless VG video topics.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x54ontg_d32-it-is-lunch-time-for-enda-o-coineen-vendee-globe_sport

D32 : it is lunch time for Enda O'Coineen

no dialogue, just 1:40 of Enda eating out of a blue bucket with a green spoon, in black and green foulies.

Enda's troubles ("did an Alex" and tipped the boat to recover sheets); special meeting of the SORA; final stanza of "Wandering Angus", and more. Worth the watch and listen.

Enda talks about his routing and repairs, and takes time out in a storm to remember John Montague (28 February 1929 − 10 December 2016) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ whose funeral was yesterday.

Poem is last stanza of White Water https://www.poets.org/poetsorg/poem/white-water

for Line McKie

The light, tarred skin
of the currach rides
and receives the current,
rolls and responds to
the harsh sea swell.

Inside the wooden ribs
a slithering frenzy; a sheen
of black-barred silver-
green and flailing mackerel:
the iridescent hoop
of a gasping sea trout.

As a fish gleams most
fiercely before it dies,
so the scales of the sea-hag
shine with a hectic
putrescent glitter:

luminous, bleached—
white water
that light in the narrows
before a storm breaks.

Enda talks about his routing and repairs, and takes time out in a storm to remember John Montague (28 February 1929 − 10 December 2016) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ whose funeral was yesterday.

Poem is last stanza of White Water https://www.poets.org/poetsorg/poem/white-water

for Line McKie

The light, tarred skin

of the currach rides

and receives the current,

rolls and responds to

the harsh sea swell.

Inside the wooden ribs

a slithering frenzy; a sheen

of black-barred silver-

green and flailing mackerel:

the iridescent hoop

of a gasping sea trout.

As a fish gleams most

fiercely before it dies,

so the scales of the sea-hag

shine with a hectic

putrescent glitter:

luminous, bleached—

white water

that light in the narrows

before a storm breaks.

Fucking brilliant.

Well, no great phrases today, but more about character: Enda with limited comms, yet buying and selling pubs while doing the VG;

O’Coineen is sailing ‘in the dark’ with limited comms and navigation instruments. After crossing Cape Leeuwin among the peloton of five skippers who passed the longitude of the second great Cape within 13 hours of each other, O’Coineen admits he has some considerable trepidation about his passage into the Pacific, but ever stoic and positive, he reiterates that this is the challenge he has come to take on. His lack of internet connection and email means he gets a weather update from Race Direction at midday each day by phone as well as the positions of all of the boats around him. Similarly, Jéremie Beyou, who lies third now, gets a text only forecast by Skyfile as his only source of weather information. But despite his lack of communication tools, the Irish skipper who wrote an autobiographical book, ‘The Unsinkable Entrepreneur’ still could not help himself from doing business! He almost certainly became the first Vendée Globe skipper to buy and sell pubs or bars during the solo round the world race. O Coineen said today: “I do miss the connectivity, the being able to go on the internet and see what is going on, to see what is happening with other things in the world. Even so I have been doing a little bit of business over the phone. I actually managed to sell an interest in a pub and buy an interest in a pub in the same day. That is something I said I would not do, but there you are. I am an amateur sailor sailing around the world. I will have earned my spurs when I get around.”

Yea, is a pity the knockdown toasted his computer, if he could break from that

group, a top ten is possible? Think he's now just getting weather updates

By sat phone, just wondering could shore crew talk him through some kind

of repair?.

Soo! tracker has Enda at the head of that group of five, gonna get interesting nearer

The horn.

Maybe top 10 as you said earlier. "Carry on" indeed.

going in the wrong direction..? some problems..? Nothing new on twitter

and nothing on FB either. Looking back at the previous sked, all was well until about 1/2 an hour before this current sked (Wed, 28 Dec 2016 14:00:00 GMT)

a bit OT, but did find mention on his home page that he has computer issues, and laughed at his reassurance to his bankers:

And to my friends in Macquarie Bank - to whom I owe a large chunk of money - your risk analysts may be monitoring this log to see if I will come home safe and sound to repay the loans. Well it's not safe. I mean the sailing is not safe, but the money is. Roger Courtney and team have it in safe hands on dry land. The skipper, and Southern Ocean Residents Association President, could disappear into the ocean yet the funds would still be in safe hands. Thankfully my business seems to run very well without me.

And that's the problem with an entrepreneur, business owner, skipper doing the Vendee. The reason here is that most of my success has been down to my ability to delegate and finding great people to partner with. Now I'm 52 days into the hardest task of all, there's no one to delegate to. I have never worked as hard in all my life. There is no choice. You are totally on your own.

Meanwhile in addition to all the usual maintenance and sailing the boat, the voyage rolls on in what seems an eternity. We're getting closer to solving our computer problems thanks to John Malone who kindly offered his services through Facebook and has now spent much of his Christmas break talking to yours truly.

http://www.teamireland.ie/news/day-51-52-i-have-never-worked-as-hard-in-all-my-life

Damn. Rerouted for repairs. Seems to be taking it calmly, so no worries I guess.

Enda O'Coineen se déroute vers l’île Stewart pour effectuer des réparations http://bit.ly/2htlhSD | #VG2016

O'Coineen said this afternoon: “It is really the accumulation of three weeks going through the Indian Ocean. I have had several small problems and together they have become a big problem. I have a problem with the self steering and with the mast track and with the communications and so I have made the very difficult decision to stop. I am not stopping the race. I will just make the repairs under my own steam. It was a choice between Campbell Island which is close to me (now) or Stewart Island which is to the south of New Zealand. It is a better anchorage and I don’t have much detail on Campbell Island. I was enjoying the race, getting up to 10th or 11th place, but now if I lose a couple of days I will lose a couple of days, but hopefully I will be able to effect these repairs. It is a good long haul to Stewart Island. In one sense I could have continued into the Pacific and to Cape Horn but this is my last jumping off point, so it would have been a huge risk. In the meantime I am doing what is the more prudent, seamanlike thing to do. I am torn apart with it. It is cold and wet and it is the middle of the night right now. It has not been a good day. That is what the challenge is. It will be a big job to do the repairs on my own but hopefully I can do that."

http://www.vendeeglobe.org/en/news/17567/enda-o-coineen-heads-to-stewart-island-to-make-repairs

ok...so i guess he is not going to visit the local pub "the drunken penguin" (not sure if there actually is one)

Oh well, bit of a downer on the race for tenth , looks like he'll lose

2 days at least , just go for a finish I supppose.

Sad news. His write-up has lots to ponder, and seems a bit confused. Here it is, FWIW

Contacted by Race HQ at 0930hrs UTC this morning O'Coineen explained:

“You roll the dice. I was caught a little bit unawares. I was in 20-25 kts of breeze and a very vicious 35kt squall came through and the self-steering malfunctioned just at the wrong moment. I did an involuntary gybe and then a gybe back. The boat was out of control and I was caught without the runner properly on and the mast snapped. I have to laugh because if I don't I will cry. The mast came clean off at the deck and in fact it was intact. But the whole rig went over the side. I had the difficult decision to make of whether to try and save the rig or whether to save the hull of the boat. I thought of safety first. I cut the rig free from the boat. I was worried that the stump of the rig would hole the boat. The seas were pretty wild. There was a big sea running. I cut the entire rig free. I am mastless, the deck was holed. It is not a happy situation but there it is, you roll the dice. That is the risk you take.

I am devastated. Things were going quite well. I was in good shape. Having got this far I felt we could handle anything. There was just that little malfunction of the self-steering that set a whole train in motion. I have to accept responsibility. What happens, happens.

Look, you have to be philosophical. This sort of sailing is living on the edge. I have been doing that for 57 days and as the fella says if you are living on the edge you are taking up too much space. I was taking up too much space on the edge.

Ironically I had just done a little interview with myself for New Year. I celebrated with a small bottle of champagne. My alter personality asked me about my New Year's Resolution. And my New Year's Resolution was to take less risk with my life. In business, in my life I have taken a lot of risk. The risk enabled me to make enough money to buy this boat. to pursue the dream, to pursue my adventure. The irony is that only two hours earlier I had recorded a video to pledge to take less risk. And here I am. Risk is a four letter word, like a lot of meaningful four letter words in the English language.

What can you do? I have acted responsibly.

It is January 1st. It is a New Day and a New Year and it is time to move on. My Vendée Globe is over. I am appreciative of all the support I have had. "

http://www.vendeeglobe.org/en/news/17679/enda-o-coineen-s-boat-has-dismasted-180-miles-south-east-of-new-zealand

Enda used "the fella says if you are living on the edge you are taking up too much space" before (IIRC, attributed to Churchill then), but usually it's quoted as "not living on the edge" (and attributed to many others). So, I'm puzzled which of the meanings he intends.

No big deal. He's had a great run, and I'm sorry it ended this way.

Enda might get a new mast and complete the "race". Complete the "course" would have been more accurate.

Speaking to Independent.ie from his broken down yacht, the Kilcullen Voyager - Team Ireland, 200 miles south east of the south island in New Zealand, an exhausted O’Coineen says: "I have three life rafts, survival rations. It's on the edge.

O’Coineen has spent 57 gruelling days at sea and sailed through three storms in the Indian Ocean before his 120 foot mast came crashing down. Despite his predicament, he remains positive and has not ruled out getting the boat fixed in New Zealand and going on to become the first Irishman to complete the race.

"You take risks. History is clear – less than 50pc complete the course. I have spent 57 days at sea, halfway around the world. I’m desolate. I have taken the risk and have to accept responsibility," added O’Coineen.

"I have had very little sleep. I spent two hours cutting the rig free. It was a tough few hours in a storm cutting the rig from the boat.

"It will take three or four days to get to New Zealand. I am not in distress and don't want to call the rescue services. I can't sail and the wind is blowing me so I am trying to do up a jury rig to get sorted."

While O’Coineen's imminent concern is to get to dry land, he says he has a number of options going forward.

"I am exploring different options. I can get a new mast in New Zealand and complete the journey. I can ship the boat home or leave it in New Zealand. At the moment I am just looking at survival and getting to shore."

http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/irish-sailor-stranded-in-pacific-ocean-after-losing-his-mast-during-roundtheworld-yacht-race-35334296.html

Thanks for the above stief. Not a word from NZ media. Seems The Independent is maintaining sole coverage.

Here's latest link http://www.independe...a-35335477.html

And a few quotes from the story:

'Speaking to Independent.ie today, he said: "Basically I just have to be patient. I'm outside of all of the rescue areas. I've enough food to last me for quite a period of time, so I just have to wait for the winds to become move favourable.

'"I've no mast so I've rigged up a temporary jury rig and I'm trying to get to New Zealand waters. It's not a happy situation but I just have to be patient.

'"I'm not in any distress, I have enough food but I just have to be patient. I'm not calling the rescue services. The hull is strong. I lost my mast two days ago. I'm not happy but I've no choice. It's one of the most remote oceans in the world.

"The wind is quite light and I'm going very slowly. I'm here on my own in a boat, not a happy situation but that's what I signed up for and that's the risk I took.

'"I have limited steering and that makes it difficult."'

Enda reported there is a shipping alert to vessels in the area to keep watch for him.

He added: "I used two carbon sail batons and I made a temporary structure to hold a small sail and that's what I'm relying on to get me to New Zealand. I've enough food. I'm not in a life or death situation, it's just going to take a lot of time."

Local press is starting to pick up on Enda's plight. He's in touch with local authorities and says he does not require assistance at this time.

This piece from Radio NZ http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/national/321732/irish-yachtie-stranded-off-dunedin-coast

"Maritime New Zealand has been in touch with the yachtsman, who said he did not require rescue at this point, and was hoping to reach Dunedin in the coming days.

"A spokesman said Maritime New Zealand would put a radio call out for any commercial vessels in the area to tow Mr O'Coineen into the harbour.

"A Port Otago spokesman said Mr O'Coineen was low on fuel and strong south-west winds could hamper his trip to safety if he attempted to reach Dunedin by himself.

"Dunedin sailor Stewart Mclauchlan said he had been contacted by Mr O'Coineen's race team, who had asked him to assist the yachtsman to harbour if needed.

"He said the stranded yachtie had enough food to last 50 days and was not in any immediate danger.

"Team Ireland spokesman Neil O'Hagan told RNZ Mr O'Coineen was in "reasonably good shape" but it would be a few days before the team had any indication of when he could reach Dunedin harbour."

Thanks KJ. I've been wondering and hoping the VG would have an interview over the limited comms he has.

Liked the "However Mr O'Coineen was pragmatic about his misadventure, calling it a "First World problem" too.

Stewart Hosford@stewarthosford 11m

Stewart Hosford Retweeted Kilcullen Voyager

Just had Enda on the phone.. setting a foundation for Irish Offshore Sailing in the future.. wishing him luck for arrival in NZ.

https://twitter.com/stewarthosford/status/816725444854685697

RTE Radio 1 interview with Enda https://soundcloud.com/rte-radio-1/stranded-sailor-enda-ocoineen-speaks-to-sean-orourke

Stewart Hosford@stewarthosford 11m

Stewart Hosford Retweeted Kilcullen Voyager

Just had Enda on the phone.. setting a foundation for Irish Offshore Sailing in the future.. wishing him luck for arrival in NZ.

https://twitter.com/stewarthosford/status/816725444854685697

RTE Radio 1 interview with Enda https://soundcloud.com/rte-radio-1/stranded-sailor-enda-ocoineen-speaks-to-sean-orourke

Good interview, especially the convincing part about maturity and personal responsibility. Quite the contrast with those who rant against the people who maintain and supply equipment and safety nets. Worth a second listen.

Also mentions the prop being fouled by a line, covered in the write up at Afloat.ie http://afloat.ie/sail/sailor-of-the-month/sailor-of-the-month-2013-2016/item/34626-enda-o-coineen-is-sailor-of-the-month-for-december?platform=hootsuite

The jobs done, he was on his way again as December drew to a close when a sudden squall from a new direction and a self-steering malfunction caused a couple of crash gybes, the second resulting in a total dismasting with the entire rig having to be cut away in violent seas. Eventually, resorting to engine power soon resulted in a stray rope jamming the propeller. Yet with a jury rig using spare mainsail battens as masts, he has been able to make his way unaided back towards New Zealand, where he will be brought into port with a pre-arranged tow from a fishing boat.

His spirit in the midst of these setbacks is reminiscent of Ernest Shackleton at his best. We’re well aware that a year ago, we made Enda O’Coineen January “Sailor of the Month” for his success in qualifying for a place in the Vendee Globe thanks to a third place in December’s Transatlantic Race. But his unsinkable spirit deserves a second award as our final gesture to what he has achieved in 2016.

Well-deserved sailor of the month, especially for how he took responsibility.

Great interview, heart on the sleeve stuff and composed considering

what he's been through, listening to the end of the broadcast was

sherlock holmes stuff, bag o bones killing all round him.

Lots of good quotes in this NZ interview with Enda on arrival in NZ [wtf! happened to the America's Cup rep in NZ? NZ media writing that the Vendee is billed as the "most famous in the world"?]

http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/national/321851/-i-said-'oh-crumbs'-and-then-this-110-foot-mast-crashed-down

Cigar smoking, mast crash pic, and maybe even a teaser that the mast of Thomas Ryan's abandoned yacht Le Souffle du Nord will end up helping Enda become the first Irish skipper to complete a rtw. Bottom line: it may not be over:

"The downers are real down, and the uppers are up."

He wasn't sure whether he would attempt the next Vendee Globe in four years time, but said "never say never".

He said he needed a few days to take stock and review his options, which included selling the boat in its current condition, shipping it back to Europe for repair, or fixing it and completing his round-the-globe journey.

Hm... I was playing with a DH frankenboat finish for both of them. Add some money for comms and that should get interesting. :D

However one boat has deckspreaders the other not making such a switch even more complicated.

Enda got quite a bit of media in Germany before the mast came down. link Also after that moment. link

Thomas Covilles record article is quite a bit shorter. link

The joke is of course that faz [wiki] has better sailing articles about the VG than most of the sailing media. link to their coverage. Yes, Coville is listed under VG. :lol: details

Hm... I was playing with a DH frankenboat finish for both of them. Add some money for comms and that should get interesting. :D

However one boat has deckspreaders the other not making such a switch even more complicated.

Enda got quite a bit of media in Germany before the mast came down. link Also after that moment. link

Thomas Covilles record article is quite a bit shorter. link

The joke is of course that faz [wiki] has better sailing articles about the VG than most of the sailing media. link to their coverage. Yes, Coville is listed under VG. :lol: details

Lots of good reading--thanks. Good point about the deck spreader.

faz's editorial policy and governance looks impressive, and to be fair, Coville is listed under "Extreme Sailing".

Best Chrome trans: "Previously, five of the 29 were already sailors excreted in the race and collided with six yachts blowing objects." http://www.faz.net/aktuell/sport/segler-kito-de-pavant-geraet-bei-vendee-globe-in-seenot-14562537.html

Best Enda snippet:

While O'Coineen is mostly limited to talking to God, his family, or the race management, some skippers compensate their loneliness by constantly posting updates on their condition and their position in the social networks.

http://www.faz.net/aktuell/sport/mehr-sport/als-teilnehmer-der-vendee-globe-verbringt-enda-o-coineen-das-weihnachtsfest-auf-hoher-see-14588900.html

The curse of google translate. Its not like there are 10 different translations that would fit better.

Online dicticionaries; dict.cc leo.org The usual print dictionaries are a lot less verbose: Langenscheidt Pons

No matter. I should have said "the fun of Chrome translation." :)

Nice piece of video from One News. Has the apparently obligatory cutaways for marginal stuff but some interesting shots, including the spidery and small jury rig and some seriously ripped up deck. Includes Enda with Customs and a welcome nod to the fishing boat skipper who went out to tow him in.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/auckland/local-news/national-news/88185203/Irish-skipper-Enda-O-Coineen-limps-into-Dunedin-on-broken-yacht

Nice piece of video from One News. Has the apparently obligatory cutaways for marginal stuff but some interesting shots, including the spidery and small jury rig and some seriously ripped up deck. Includes Enda with Customs and a welcome nod to the fishing boat skipper who went out to tow him in.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/auckland/local-news/national-news/88185203/Irish-skipper-Enda-O-Coineen-limps-into-Dunedin-on-broken-yacht

thanks for that !

(video didn't start in chrome for me, in safari ok)

thanks for that !

(video didn't start in chrome for me, in safari ok)

+1

Also like that the skipper put him up in a pub

He was met 12 nautical miles off the New Zealand coast by Lady Dorothy, a 21-metre wooden trawler skippered by Port Chalmers local Steve Little.

Little also put up the Irish skipper in his pub for the night.

"I had been two months on my own at sea, so it was nice to have some company," O'Coineen said.

"We had a nice little whiskey."

Oh--looks like we might need to wait a year to see the circumnavigation complete

“It’s a personal goal and I would never live with myself for not at least trying to complete the objective,” he said. “It will also promote the Atlantic Youth Trust Charity, connecting youth with the ocean and adventure. Completing the voyage also gives us another chance to refine the schools programme and roll it out once again to children across the country.”

O'Coineen will return home to Ireland before returning to New Zealand later in the year or in early 2018 to resume his circumnavigation. He said he did not plan on returning to the Vendée Globe in four years but hoped his boat would be on the start line.

http://www.vendeeglobe.org/en/news/18113/not-the-end-for-enda

I’m in Galway for a few days. Can anyone recommend an Enda pub with good music and food for our group of 8?