• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sarcoma

Boots

56 posts in this topic

Fairly standard question that has been asked before but there are new boots on the market now.

I need a boot with some sort of gaiter so that limits me to: Dubarry Crosshaven, Zhik Seaboot, Hpx boot?

I'm in the northwest and I race all year, inshore, offshore and everything in-between.

Is the crosshaven worth the price hike? Are gaiters strictly necessary offshore? What's the goss on the zhik boots?

Thanks!

I've heard good things about Gill's performance boot. I know they don't have gaiters, might want to look into them.

I have Dubarry - not the crosshaven.., but the thing i don't like about them is that they are very heavy

I often sail and then fly home.., and I am trying to get my gear as light as possible, to make it easier to travel

some of the new boots are much lighter - the Lizard boot is really light.

I've had the Zhik sea boots since Feb. I like them a lot, comfortable, good grip, no opinion good or bad on the gaiters (yet). They are a little warm, warmer than my old cheapo Sherry boots.

post-301-0-92540300-1480084037_thumb.jpg

Helly Hansen makes a pair with gaitors, but they are heavy.

Yes the Dubarry's are heavy, but I got 10+ years out of my first pair. But the soles hardened like rock. This past Sept I was at the NPT Boat Show and went to the Dubarry both and asked about resoling them. Gave me the contact info. Turns out they did a run of boots years ago that can't be resoled, mine was one of them. They sold me a new pair at 1/2 of retail, which I thought was a decent deal since I did get a long time out of the first pair.

Yes heavy but I like companies that stand by their products. So now I have a new pair. These can be resoled but have to go back to Ireland to do it. Hope I get a few years before I have to do that.

I probably would not have bought a new pair from them if they didn't give me a 'deal' but I don't know what I would have bought, none of the other boots I saw were ideal.

I have the Dubarry (shamrock, not the crosshaven), the wide version. Best boots I have ever tried, Musto being second in my opinion.

Very warm, but the rubber at the ankle flex blows out in a few thousand miles.

HW

Helly Hansen makes a pair with gaitors, but they are heav

Had Gills. What a nightmare. In less than a season they were ripped, leaking and looked like they'd been through hell - even though it was very light spring and autumn use only. Ended up in the donation bag for Sally Ann at year end.

Sarc: what do you need the gaitor for? I feel like that is fairly uncommon on the boots that I see in use around here.

I see how it would be useful on a really wet boat where water shoots up your foulies, but I would probably just wear a drysuit then...

I've had the Zhik's for a couple years, very warm and comfy. In theory even if the boot fills with water you'll still be warm since it's made of neoprene. One thing to watch for is the foot is made of molded rubber so if you have a very wide foot it may not fit well or conform to the shape of your foot as well as a leather boot. I have to wear a thin sock otherwise it's a bit too narrow. Still plenty warm though since there's a lot of neoprene in the foot.

Sarc: what do you need the gaitor for? I feel like that is fairly uncommon on the boots that I see in use around here.

I see how it would be useful on a really wet boat where water shoots up your foulies, but I would probably just wear a drysuit then...

I do my fair share of sailing on wet boats and especially on the bow I've had encounters with the firehouse up the trouser leg.

Seems like a useful benefit with no apparent downside apart from 100 bucks.

I learned a better option for gaiters on the Transat Quebec-St Malo this year and picked up a pair of the Guy Cotten gaiters that can be put on any boot.

Used with my dubarry Fastnets I feel invincible. And when after a couple of wet watches i want to switch to my backup west marine rubber boots, i can swap the gaiters over to them and make it through a few more sail changes without my socks getting wet. I just emailed the office in New Bedford and told them what i wanted, they called for a credit card number and for $50US i have gaiters for any boots.

http://www.guycotten.com/en/produits/yachting-and-water-sports/accessories/pieds-secs-surbottes-piel-cotten

I'm using HPX's, they work very well from summer sailing to light snow. Sealskinz socks just in case.

Separate gaters if needed is a good idea!

Have had a pair of HPX's since 2012. This summer I literally wore them for 7 days straight on the way to Hawaii. After 7 days, again literally, the only part of me that was dry were my feet (and warm). I guess, not only were they dry, but they were comfortable enough to wear for 7 days non-stop (sleeping included).

My wife has had a pair of Dubarry's (Newports I think) since 2012 and she is very happy with them. They are nice and warm, but her feet were not dry after 7 days in the same conditions. I think the gaiter is the way to go.

I've had my HPX's for almost 10 years. Love em, sole is starting to get hard, but nothing sandpaper won't quick fix. I do have blown out side seam but it's ok for now. I wish I sized down as they wore in and got bigger, but I was young and dumb. I wear em a few days a week for work and I couldn't be happier. I think this Christmas I'll be ordering myself a pair of Dubarrys though.. No need for full offshore boots..

Have had a pair of HPX's since 2012. This summer I literally wore them for 7 days straight on the way to Hawaii. After 7 days, again literally, the only part of me that was dry were my feet (and warm). I guess, not only were they dry, but they were comfortable enough to wear for 7 days non-stop (sleeping included).

My wife has had a pair of Dubarry's (Newports I think) since 2012 and she is very happy with them. They are nice and warm, but her feet were not dry after 7 days in the same conditions. I think the gaiter is the way to go.

Gill boots, Stay away 2 Pairs and with in one season they both looked like they have some sort of infectious skin disease .. then the tape/trim around the sides at the bottom starts to fall off...

Disappointing.

I've had the Zhik's for a couple years, very warm and comfy. In theory even if the boot fills with water you'll still be warm since it's made of neoprene. One thing to watch for is the foot is made of molded rubber so if you have a very wide foot it may not fit well or conform to the shape of your foot as well as a leather boot. I have to wear a thin sock otherwise it's a bit too narrow. Still plenty warm though since there's a lot of neoprene in the foot.

Would you consider the Zhik's heavy or light?

If I did a majority of my sailing offshore I'd 100% opt for a boot with a gaiter.

If you do most of your sailing inshore or are a back of the boat legs in kinda guy, no gaiter required IMO.

V light, probably the lightest boot I've ever picked up with a gaiter.

HW

Would you consider the Zhik's heavy or light?

New (and very happy) Zhik offshore boots owner here. Had Musto HPX which were great but soles went hard and slippy after only 2-3 years, so they went in the bin despite attempts at sanding them back to usefulness etc etc. Zhik soles are the same material as their excellent inshore shoes (failure mode = blowing out the sides) which seem to stay useful for much longer.

New (and very happy) Zhik offshore boots owner here. Had Musto HPX which were great but soles went hard and slippy after only 2-3 years, so they went in the bin despite attempts at sanding them back to usefulness etc etc. Zhik soles are the same material as their excellent inshore shoes (failure mode = blowing out the sides) which seem to stay useful for much longer.

to have a fair comparison, let's hear from you in 2 years :)

I've been a happy owner of Gill boots for 2 years, but have worn out the toe part and need new ones this spring. I must admit that design is just as important as function (for really cold weather I'll use UglyBoots anyway). Have anybody tried these from Lizard?

Dubarry, on season #7 with mine and they're perfectly great. Get a couple thousand miles of hard use every year.

Le Chameau or Aigle real rubbers with neoprene insides. Warm, durable and cheap if you get the fisherman's version and then get some guy cotton gaiters. If you go to the wet end of the boat get gaiters, wet socks ain't fun.

Seems like for what Duberry is charging just get a drysuit and where whatever you want on your feet. Solves multiple problems.

That is what we finally did for my son. Needed wetsuite Foulies and footwear. Got a drysuit and cheap but grippy water shoes. He is good to go in pretty much all conditons. (PNW as well)

I will probaly look at that route when my foulies wear out, just bought a jacket so not looking to spend MORE money.

I generally wear my dinghy boots and seaskins on the bow. Only an issue when my legs get fully submerged which thankfully has not happened as much lately.

to have a fair comparison, let's hear from you in 2 years :)

I've been a happy owner of Gill boots for 2 years, but have worn out the toe part and need new ones this spring. I must admit that design is just as important as function (for really cold weather I'll use UglyBoots anyway). Have anybody tried these from Lizard?

I've had the shoes, same sole pattern and material, for about 2 yrs. No sign of them hardening or losing grip.

I have Crosshavens and they're awesome. I got them as a *(Warranty) replacement for the Fastnet which fell apart and started to leak towards the end of the TransAt. If you're doing serious ocean racing, there's no substitute for a boot with a gaitor. One of my buddies has the Zhik boots and I was very jealous after taking the dozenth wave up my leg and down my boots doing bow work.

So far the Crosshavens have been bulletproof though and Dubarry standby their product no questions asked.

Any feedback on the Dubarry Newports?

Great boot- light, comfortable and can pull double duty as an inshore boot and light offshore boot-

I'm on my 2nd pair- first pair saw the toes get worn out from kneeling on harsh nonskid for a few years.

Sperry Men's Seahiker with GripX3 technology. Just used these for the first time last weekend. Not an offshore boot to be sure or one you want to walk around ashore in, but I'm very happy with them for inshore duty on deck. Comfortable and grabbed the molded nonskid of my Beneteau 40.7 better than anything I've experienced previously.

I tried a bunch of different boots and like the ZHIK. They are light, dry, and warm.

For shoes, the Sperry GripX3 are great. They are light and designed well.

The Sperry Seahiker Booties are a total POS. The zippers are weak ass junk and the soles delaminate from the uppers in about 4 months. I've had two pairs, same exact issues.

Since we are at it; Has anybody tried out the new Musto Offshore boots (goretex ocean racer)? seems like a good evolution of the HPX boots and mine needs to be replaced soon

They look interesting but laces? I don't want to lace up boots as I'm going on watch

They look interesting but laces? I don't want to lace up boots as I'm going on watch

It looks like a quick lace system and if that makes the boots easier to get on I'm all for it. Also makes the boot adjustable for a better fit. I haven't even seen them in real life so I'm not saying they are great - hence the question

I'm also interested- just as you are- they look interesting- and I also agree they look to be better fitting. For the money they should provide a lacing monkey that takes them off, dries em and puts em back on for you when you go back on...

Boot monkey.....hmmm...

Boots, hats and gloves... never easy!

I have seen a bit of trend that the Gill boots just do not last. The boss and I both had ours replaced for free by Gill last year after only getting a year or so out of the short cruising boots (the uppers perished) and many others seem to complain of them wearing out quickly. Moitessier said in one of his books that the perfect sailing boot is an unlined rubber boot as when they get wet you just tip them out and wipe them out with a towel and have instantly dry boots.

A few years back I ended up doing a delivery from Cape Town to Stanley and didn't have my sailing gear with me - I went to a shop that sold sport fishing gear to stock up on leaders and lures and found white rubber abattoir boots there for about 20 Rand (that's almost nothing for boots). I decided to test Moitessier's wisdom and bought a pair a little too big and several pairs of wool socks. He was right it works.

The trick is finding boots without any lining whatsoever as most have some sort of linen bonded to the rubber inside but the abattoir boots were just naked rubber. The only problem is that the sole is not ideal, and they were white (a bit 80s!) .... anybody out there make the most basic rubber boot you can imagine with a boaty razor cut sole?

Then all you need is something like the Guy Cotton gaiters mentioned above and you have it sorted. I generally find that foulies with a built in gaiter are enough without adding a boot gaiter.

I have the Dubarry (shamrock, not the crosshaven), the wide version. Best boots I have ever tried, Musto being second in my opinion.

+1 on Dubarry. Mine are 10+ years old. Just had them resoled and they are still warm and very comfortable.

On my second pair of Dubarry Ultima's. Probably 6-7 years per pair.

If you are often on your knees on the foredeck the Ultimas get worn out on the toe.

As well as the integral gaiter which is key on the bow, the Crosshaven boot has a rubber toe and ankle guard built in.

I think they are worth the money. Don't cheap out on boots.

If you are often on your knees on the foredeck the Ultimas get worn out on the toe.

As well as the integral gaiter which is key on the bow, the Crosshaven boot has a rubber toe and ankle guard built in.

Spend much time on your knees?

There is nothing worse than having av wave splashing up through the bottom of your pants and ending up inside your boots when you are hiking on the rail in cold weather.

If you are not hiking the rail upwind or working the bow you probably don't need gaiters. Since that is my case as a bowman and have the issue of all the sailing gear designed for short stocky people with short leg length, gaiters are a must.

Zhik isotak 2 salopettes are the best fitting bottoms I've ever had at 6'1" and a 34"+ inseam.

No riding up, no floods, no wedgie.

Adjustable everything- they fit like they were tailored-

Spend much time on your knees?

Second hand info from LH and friends.

Zhik Seaboot. Don't cost as much as Musto or Dubarry. Only negative is they are warmer than other boots I have had. Good thing when it is cold out bad thing when it is marginal sea boot weather.

Pluses outweigh negative for me and I would buy them again.

Rob

I found out that my Dubarry Fastnets are leaking during an overnight race last weekend. North Europe, so quite cold and not pleasant. Asked Dubarry if they can check and fix them and they replied that there is no fix once the membrane is broken. They are less then 10 years old, never got any hard use and I didn't wear them at all the last 3-4 years due to living in warmer climates. Pretty disappointing. 

Since there is no such thing as overkill sailing gear imho I am wondering whether to go for Le Chameaus or Dubarry Crosshavens. Either of the two seem to be what most pros use. I am sure the Le Chameaus work in all conditions and last, but I'd prefer boots which are breathable. Does anyone know how often the pros usually replace their Crosshavens? I am not going to buy a 400 euro boot every two years...

Thanks!

On 6/28/2017 at 11:05 AM, WoobaGooba said:

Any experience with the Lizard Spin boot?

https://www.lizardfootwear.com/en-us/SPIN_16SM-11204.p.html?_col=13882#

Seems like it might be difficult for a POB to remove.

They're lightweight, flexible and plenty of grip on a fiberglass deck. In the year or so I've used them, they've held up well and don't leak. I try to be careful to not wear them much off the boat but have occasionally. The tread is fairly soft and is starting to show a little wear. They aren't difficult to pull off after unstrapping the velcro as they're fairly stretchy.  I tried on the Dubarrys when I tried these on and these felt less clumsy, almost like wearing an athletic deck shoe. I don't think they'll last as long as Dubarrys, but it I didn't pay the Dubarry price either.

On 28/11/2016 at 3:32 AM, Alex W said:

happens every fucking time I'm on the foredeck in a seaway.

Have a few thousand miles on my Zhik's with gaitor so far this year... Love them. They fit me very well, (wide feet) grip amazingly and even after several days of wearing them non stop they were still comfortable. I love the gaitors and personally will not buy a boot without them again. I used to e-tape my sallopettes to the tops of my boots... Not anymore!!

Solution for leaky boots is a plastic bag over your socks, with rubber bands around your ankle and lower leg. Think grocery store produce section or the bag your newspaper comes in on a rainy day, Works like a charm.

I have a pair of poly-coated nylon gaitors from Gill, purchased from their website about a decade ago. They have heavy elastic around the bottom, with a "tie-down" that goes under the sole of your boot, and a shock-cord drawstring around the top. Never used them "in anger," but I think they'd do the job. Haven't seen them lately, though.

I just tried both the Zhik 800s and the Lizard Spin in the shop.  Much prefer the Zhik for another $50.  Zhik fit my US size 13 hoof better, though still slightly tight.  The Zhik were easier on/off, the Lizard lacing mechanism and bridge strap too weird for me.  Headed offshore with the Zhik's next week.

On 12/7/2017 at 11:03 AM, schessor said:

I subscribe to YW and I find that their gear test are highly inadequate... Tested for a couple of months by a helmsman sailing primarily coastal doesn't tell you shit...

When I'm spending the amount of money the manufacturers wants for this kind of footwear I need a test that describes long term durability and how they wear on a working crew position...

My latest boot is the zhik with the gaiter, on its third season, and as said above is warm due neoprene and wool insulation and the fact that it's non breathable, it is however DRY.. 

I've had the Hpx with gaiter, back when before the switched membrane to something other than Gore-Tex (i know they've changed back).. got then replaced 3 times in 4 seasons.. 4 pair started leaking just after the 2 year complaint period ran out...

Would never sail/buy a boot without a gaiter.. the idea of having one to take off and on like the guy cotten one seems all right..