• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
wkndr

Do dolphins bow-ride catamarans?

I just saw a trailer for Disney's new animated film Moana, in which dolphins are seen bow-riding a catamaran.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6PbWhWGUrY#t=65

This immediately struck me as unrealistic, since dolphins ride bows to "surf" the pressure, and catamarans needle through the water. (Not that I look to Disney for realism.)

Still, I thought I would check here on SA. Do dolphins actually bow-ride catamarans?

Sure they do. Tris too. The faster the boat the more they love it.

I cannot imagine a dolphin "bow-riding" a foiler going super-fast. And I cannot find any YouTube videos of dolphins bow-riding multihulls, although there are videos aplenty of dolphins bow-riding monohulls.

We've had them with both our tri and our cat. It seems, though, that they stayed longer with our trollers. Lotsa fun.

Have had them accompany Hobies, tornados, f18. It's amazing how fast a super competitive sailor becomes a 12 year old Japanese tourist when a dolphin is swimming along side.

I have witnessed dolphins swimming alongside a sailboat cause the clothes that the female crew were wearing fall off! The Coast Guard cutter that had been shadowing us from a distance noticed it too and closed their range to our vessel abruptly. It seemed to take a long time for the Coasties to confirm our vessel name and doc number as well as the passports of all souls on board. Must have had a bad data link with Foggy Bottom or wherever they have to ring in for that stuff. The dolphins stayed with us for the half hour and the girls rewarded them well by staying naked and dancing for them from the pulpit. The rest of our crew were rewarded by the sight as well.

For some odd reason, despite our credentials being accepted via radio, the Coast Guard insisted on boarding us for a 'routine safety' examination. We offered to heave to but were told to maintain course and speed and then the officer of the radio added, "And skipper, could you have your crew put their clothes back on?"

I'm not sure it's all to do with bow wave pressure, I've had them do it with my old A class and when the big ones covered in scars jump out of the water next to and over the bows while zipping along, it's awesome and unnerving knowing if it lands on the bow, there won't be a bow anymore

Ever heard the term 'dolphin-striker'? If you stand on the crossbeam and hold a small fish above your head, you can even get one to land on your trampoline sometimes. Makes for a great meal or 30.

I don't think I've ever done a coastal trip on our cat without dolphins on the bow. Even at nighttime - had a dozen or so doing the freaky mermaid phosphorescence thing for about an hour between Coffs and Yamba - tried filming it with no success so just had to sit on the tramps and enjoy it!

They seem to hang around longest when we are doing 6-7kta under motor when things are pretty calm.

Those glowing dolphin torpedoes at night are the coolest thing I have ever seen while sailing. I wish there was a way to record it, but low light, moving camera and target and water are miles beyond my photography/videography skills

Those glowing dolphin torpedoes at night are the coolest thing I have ever seen while sailing. I wish there was a way to record it, but low light, moving camera and target and water are miles beyond my photography/videography skills

Dolphins + bioluminescence = MATRIX DOLPHINS!!!!

I used to have an 18' center console power catamaran. We often would find large pods of dolphins or they would find us. It is always so exciting and exhilirating to have them cavort with the boat. One time, tho, a juvenile tried to leap across the bow and got hit by the pulpit. It is the only time that I have actually hit a dolphin. It was quite a loud thunk and I always have felt bad about it. I don't know how seriously the dolphin was hurt, if at all, but it was still a bit of an alarming experience.

They do in Denmark, a lone rider showed up the through summer. And it followed the small optimist-kids as well, pretty ignoring, scared the shit out of some of them (they stopped sailing). Pretty aggresive dolphin, that started pushing the optimist, kayaks, killed the local porpoises, so we were happy when it continued to Germany.

Have had dolphin, flying fish (that would smack into the sides of the hulls), hammerhead sharks and a manta ray all "follow" my Nacra 20 before during coastal long distance races.

Also, metric shit loads of sea turtles. They're fucking everywhere out there. (They don't follow but they damn well got in my way)

If there are dolphins and

1. they want to play
  2. you are going fast enough
  3. your going in a direction that they want to follow

Then yes they absolutely love Cats and Tris. My experience is on H16 and TT720 and found they tend to like the compression wave between the hulls.

I've "stolen" pods several times from the big but noisy tourist dolphin tour boats as they prefer our quiet speed rather than being chased by a big prop up their arse.

What I really like is that when they first come over the lead one will roll on its side to look at us as to say "we cool?" before riding the bow. dWell it seems that way to me anyway.

I've also heard reports of local dolphins liking to tail slap rudders and daggerboards on moored/anchored boats with the theory being they are moving the boat around to scare the fish hiding under the hulls.

No owners, but we bareboat a ton, have been nearly everywhere they'd lend us one, almost always on multis, and we've *never* experienced *not* having those lazy-ass dolphins sponge a ride at least part of every voyage. One time off Vieques, they just hung around and let our kids mess around near them in the water for almost an hour. That, they'll never forget. One time off Huahine had almost a hundred all around us. The kids wanted us to crack open and dump out all our sardines as snacks for them ;-)

Every ocean, every sea, always dolphins.

I've had them ride the pressure wave off the centerboard.

By several accounts, it gets a lot less nice when they blow on you.

Imagine bad breath, snot, dead fish and someone who never brushed their teeth.

Quelle Gross.

SHC

I was surfing at Salt Creek in So Cal back in the 60's on a morning where the ocean surface was so still it was like glass and as I was sitting in the line up waiting for a wave a dolphin popped up right next to me and scared the livin daylights out of me and then he blew on me and I have never smelled anything so rank plus it got on me as well.

Quelle Gross.

SHC

That be true. Holy crap, it's bad. ;-) Maybe a box of tic-tacs down the blowhole or something might help. Stay upwind.

Quelle Gross.

SHC

That be true. Holy crap, it's bad. ;-) Maybe a box of tic-tacs down the blowhole or something might help. Stay upwind.

A humpback got a 40'er with kite up in a race round here, every sail and sailor was covered in oily, foul smelling spunk. No-one smells good after 3 or 4 days racing, but this was a new level