• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
Ajax

Tartan changes hands...again.

It seems that Tartan has had a change of ownership or reorganization every few years since the 1990s.

I hope this time the current newish boat owners won't have their warrantees wiped out like they were sometimes in past changes of ownership.

I don't think Steve Malbasa was a venture capitalist type owner. I think it was "Wealthy guy likes Tartans, buys company".

Slap,

You got it right about Malbasa. He liked Tartans but that didn't keep him from falling into the corporate raider category. Jackett went to Island Packet after and now it has gone under. I had a project that the marketing guy got all aquiver when Malbasa and Tartan showed an interest but they just stalled and lied and ran that project into the ground. Pisses me off to this day to think about that sort of shit in boatbuilding. Plenty of places such jackals can go get their kicks rather than screwing up what was once a great boatbuilding company.

How many boats is Marion putting out per. month these days? Sailboats and Power?

I drove by last month. The view from the road was not good. Business day and not that many cars in the parking lot.

I will likely drive by again soon and I'll take some pics. Marion is not that big!

The Legacy brand power line came with the Tartan company. Other than the Bruckmann built Legacy(s) those boats are considered well below many other retro boats. The Legacy name is not considered a quality built boat. So when the new Tartan started building new Legacy powerboats I just didn't get it. A new name for Legacy maybe ....Tartan might have been a good idea. Great Designs that are very poorly marketed. The three Legacy's should be first on any new power boater's list. Those boats are designed to run aground and get stuck on their side during low tide and then back off on their own power. Great Design!

This owner will be remembered for a ton of proposed projects that never happened. On the good side quality appears to be better and I definitely like the 101, fantail and the 40 is just freaking great! Boat show boat surprised me. So if the new owners fix the marketing they might have something. IMHO!!!!

Is *anyone* left making cruising boats in the USA?

Catalina and Hunter I guess.

Beneteau, in South Carolina.

Big operation

Isn't Hinckley still alive? I know they're not "production" like Catalina, but they still make cruising boats.

Is *anyone* left making cruising boats in the USA?

Catalina and Hunter I guess.

Beneteau, in South Carolina.

Big operation

Isn't Hinckley still alive? I know they're not "production" like Catalina, but they still make cruising boats.

Hinckley still exists, and has taken over Morris. Both brands still advertise furniture-laden cruising boats, but I dunno whether they actually sell any.

Morris's much-reduced output appears to be all M-series daysailers, while I read somewhere that Hinckley's hadn't made one of its cruising boats for years. They appear to have sold a few of the new Hinckley Bermuda 50, if it counts as a cruising boat

Thought Hunter was made in Asia now.

Pacific Seacraft will build to order. Mostly does rehabs.

Marlow Marine, builder of powerboats, now owns Hunter. IDK if they're still built near Gainesville. Island Packet was recently bought, but I can't remember by whom.

Edit: it appears Hunters are still made in Alachua County. Limited model range, and work force about 60 now, down from 450ish 20 years ago. Marlow powerboats made in China, idk where the Mainship line is made. Whether Hunter moves any manufacturing to China probably depends on what new models are introduced and the level of supervision required.

Hake is still around in Florida. i believe they build their own boats as well as come IPs.

Tartan - Ok I looked at the press release and it names the Production Supervisor and the Designer as heads of the new company. Who or what is the money? Is this a sale for a dollar or some other scheme? With people losing deposits when Boat Builders declare they can't pay their bills at a pretty high rate I would think that Buyers will be very concerned about the money!

Hake acquired the rights to Island Packet

Catalina - Seems to be getting smaller and smaller with each burp in the economy. The excitement factor also seems to have waned. The new Catalina launches just don't seem to get much interest at shows. I do not know sales figures or at what discount the new boats are going. So without numbers this is just a wild opinion. How much life does Catalina have?

Imports - I picked up Sail magazine and that is all I see! Not the best way to measure the business but Sail seems to be surviving on Import product advertising.

Kent, I thought that odd too that those guys were the heads of the company. They were at some point in the past and now they are back? The only thing that might really be of value is the carbon spar division but that too has been shopped around all over the place.

This is the ill fated project that I mentioned earlier with Tartan.

indikon Boatworks and Tartan Marine LLC.

Termination Agreement

Killingworth CT, November 24, 2014 – indikon Boatworks announced today that by mutual consent indikon Boatworks and Tartan Marine Company LLC, have acted to terminate a recently established license agreement.

According to Managing Member Todd Berman.

“People’s reactions to the design confirm that there continues to be sincere interest within dealer networks, private ownership and charter markets . . . the market response is more validation of our concepts and the result of Morrelli & Melvin’s expertise and talent”

“It is our goal to provide indikon clients a build experience, delivery infrastructure and quality outcome consistent with the world’s finest brands. To achieve that, we are re-activating our discussions with several of the industry’s most respected builders.

Gino Morrelli was reached for comment in Newport Beach California. “We are excited for indikon, they have been a great business partner for many years and once the right builder and supply chain relationships are in place we think their products will be very successful”

About indikon Boatworks
Established in 2008, indikon Boatworks is a unique combination of boating professionals and enthusiasts, engineers, marketers and designers, with a common vision to create catamarans that offer revolutionary levels of speed, comfort and efficiency. The indikon vision has taken form through the designs of Morrelli and Melvin, and has been enthusiastically adopted by the world’s leading brands: Volvo Penta, North Sails, Hall Spars, Harken and Atlantis are all part of the indikon team.

The indikon k4 is a motor-sailor that offers a fast and lively boating experience whether the wind is blowing or not. The k4 can be equipped with indikon’s proprietary OCOPS technology that effectively blends wind power AND horse power, and redefines what a hybrid motorsailer can be. More speed, greater comfort and a new standard in efficiency.

The indikon p4 offers a sleek design that today’s catamaran owners are looking for. Powered by Volvo Penta’s reliable D3 diesel powerplants, an owner has the choice of 170, 200, or 220 HP options and can achieve excellent fuel efficiency, cruising comfort and speed.

For Further Information: Robert Taylor—indikon BoatWorks General Manager

p17.png

Tartan - Ok I looked at the press release and it names the Production Supervisor and the Designer as heads of the new company. Who or what is the money? Is this a sale for a dollar or some other scheme? With people losing deposits when Boat Builders declare they can't pay their bills at a pretty high rate I would think that Buyers will be very concerned about the money!

Catalina - Seems to be getting smaller and smaller with each burp in the economy. The excitement factor also seems to have waned. The new Catalina launches just don't seem to get much interest at shows. I do not know sales figures or at what discount the new boats are going. So without numbers this is just a wild opinion. How much life does Catalina have?

Imports - I picked up Sail magazine and that is all I see! Not the best way to measure the business but Sail seems to be surviving on Import product advertising.

Catalina's new 42'er seems to be selling well.

I know there are only so many ways to make displacement monohull cruising boats, but one issue IMHO is the USA companies made the same stuff for so long that there are enough to go around for everyone at this point.

Kind of like the Dodge Viper being discontinued, a company official said that by now everyone that wants one has one.

Catalina's new 42'er seems to be selling well.

42 has been a great market space for Catalina and the update was overdue. I think the 445 is a better looking and better all around boat for their market but they needed a competitor to the euro 40's coming in.

Catalina is very scalable and they know their market pretty well. Getting out of high cost Cali and moving the manufacturing to Florida was a huge move for their future. but the GFC killed a lot of the market and the glut of quality used boats makes selling a new, mid market 40 footer hard. The "1%" can command decent yard prices on custom builds but the 10-20%ers who would be buying new production series boats are still struggling and not buying many new boats. Builders are shy about releasing sales figures but I'd be surprised if there are more than an average of 100 new production 40 footers sold in the US annually over the last 10 years. I know floor financing from manufacturers pretty much went away so dealers are not holding stock and few boats are being build on risk.

I know floor financing from manufacturers pretty much went away so dealers are not holding stock and few boats are being build on risk.

http://prestigeyachtsales.net/brokerage/2012-hunter-33-norwalk-united-states-5951171/

This is a 2012 model boat, and I suspect it has never been sold retail. Somehow they have run up 85 engine hours, so maybe it has some non-obvious history. With boats hanging around like this, I doubt anyone wants to finance the inventory.

It's not uncommon for a dealer to have to floor plan a new boat for years. GE Capital was the big lender for yacht brokers, not sure if they are still in the business. Selling new production sailboats today is a very difficult proposition.

Hinckley makes cruising powerboats. They did make sailboats at one time and IIRC they will make more if anyone orders one.

This is pretty much the story.

The future of the sailboat business is the Bermuda 50: two already built with some interest in more builds, but there's a lot of competition in this space from Swan and others.

A possibility is that Morris becomes the sailboat brand, but where the M-series "spirit of tradition" direction goes is unclear to me.

It's not uncommon for a dealer to have to floor plan a new boat for years. GE Capital was the big lender for yacht brokers, not sure if they are still in the business. Selling new production sailboats today is a very difficult proposition.

Just as well rates are low.....Not a good time to be a broker, I guess.

A possibility is that Morris becomes the sailboat brand, but where the M-series "spirit of tradition" direction goes is unclear to me.

At the moment, it's going crash into a wall of bling.

You can either do "spirit of tradition", or you can add visible carbon with GTI-style marketing. But not both.

You can either do "spirit of tradition", or you can add visible carbon with GTI-style marketing. But not both.

Maybe they will produce a Trump edition with all gold-plated fixtures.

Agree completely.

We just bought a GTI with the check we got for the Golf TDI. Great car.

You're hired

That's not plating, son.

-- Sorry, I was just reminded of my first trip in a corporate jet. It was a Gulfstream G-something-or-other. Our company had recently been acquired and we were flying from Santa Rosa CA to near Richardson, TX, to discuss new product plans. One of my team members commented on the "brass plated" fixtures and the co-pilot said (in a deep Texas accent) "That's not brass, son!"

That's not plating, son.

-- Sorry, I was just reminded of my first trip in a corporate jet. It was a Gulfstream G-something-or-other. Our company had recently been acquired and we were flying from Santa Rosa CA to near Richardson, TX, to discuss new product plans. One of my team members commented on the "brass plated" fixtures and the co-pilot said (in a deep Texas accent) "That's not brass, son!"

Yep. In a previous life, I had a business unit that provided aircraft for testing of various pieces of electronic hardware. Generally we got interface and power requirements, did the FAA clearance and helped install the boxes and then took folks where they needed to be (usually a test range) for a fee. We had a DC-9, a T-39 and a Lear - all well used. The Lear was previously owned by a successful actor and it did not make business sense to pull out the gold plated head fixtures and buy a new standard one so the airplane was an empty shell aft of the entry door and an opulent custom airplane from the door forward.

I am not certain but I do think Steve Malbasa was an investor back in the days that William Ross was the "owner" or principle. Jackett has worn many hats for the various reincarnations of Tartan. He is the principle designer of the sailboats since the early '80s. I suspect that both are both looking to recoup their financial interests, Jackett in design rights. I wish them luck the only thing I see at the end of this tunnel is an oncoming locomotive.

Not as far as I can see.

here is the list of exhibitors & boats on display.

http://www.annapolisboatshows.com/bay-bridge-boat-show/whos-exhibiting/

Last I heard Hake are building an IP or two but that may just be a rumor.

Maybe next year, then.

http://www.seawardyachts.com/island-packets-america-series-40/