• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cfarrah

Melges 24 Worlds

38 posts in this topic

Um... crickets after Day 1? I don't want to have to go to the website... this is the website, right?

Bora is in the hunt... Carrol lurks.

Any surprises? Any carnage?

Am I missing another thread?

C

i'll be covering it starting thursday, but from home. Baby has her first general anasthesia in the morning to clear a blcoked tear duct so offline til tomorrow arvo.

Site has tractrac, you can play back races if you really care. on facebook they are trying to do some live stuff with not much success btu they should get better.

i'll be covering it starting thursday, but from home. Baby has her first general anasthesia in the morning to clear a blcoked tear duct so offline til tomorrow arvo.

Site has tractrac, you can play back races if you really care. on facebook they are trying to do some live stuff with not much success btu they should get better.

TracTrac is just ok. Maybe it's there, but I can't find a function for time to start. System works ok, not great, on a Mac laptop, iPad app seemed really unstable.

The regatta FB live stuff is weak.

tractrac is pretty useless to outsiders IMO and the vast majority of people don't look at it unless they are racing at the regatta.

organizers fired the guy who was getting the sponsors. then the class decided to blow even more money by bringing their own photo and video people from italy and france. then the class got scared about the video jury thing, and so on, so had to eat the costs. Then you had one guy who doesn't sail his own boat, running around chicken littling everything and scaring the wimps at IMCA. Basically, the folks running the class don't have a whole lot of initiative or willingness to think outside the box, meaning instead of a world-beating regatta with a record entry field and unheard of shoreside activities, you have a relatively average 75-boat regatta.

Here's the thing: It's still the second biggest US Melges 24 worlds in history, with plenty of depth in both corinthian and open fleets. everyone should be jealous if they ain't there. I know i am.

Im an outsider and like the tracker...

Also jealous for not beeing there

Too busy yelling at my friends on the tracker!!

Just an average 75 boat regatta? How many olympic medalist in the fleet, at least one boat has two.

Ya we heard some of the issues. The next North American worlds will be west coast style in Victoria, BC.

Um... crickets after Day 1? I don't want to have to go to the website... this is the website, right?

C

You beat me to the crickets and put this up. I was too busy trying to figure out the website and besides the particular boat/program/owner the scratch sheet ( http://www.yachtscoring.com/event_scratch_sheet.cfm?eID=1352 ) with only one name per boat?. I knew Bora was there but I had to hunt to find out that McKee is sailing with him. I don't know Bora and I'm not a Melges 24 guy but I have a long relationship with Jonathan both in sailing and personally. I could have e-mailed him personally but I have wouldn't bugged him coming up to a worlds. That said Bora and Jonathan now have a good relationship over a few years and I'm glad they are sailing together. Jonathan has what? 3 or 4 world championships in 24's with Uka-Uka and one or two others. Porter on Full Throttle? I can't remember. But there is a message/theme there.

Of course I'm always interested with fleet but particularly the Canuck contingent like Richard "Dickie" Clark. I thought he was in the regatta and maybe on "Mikey" or something but with the lame scratch sheet you don't who's who. They used to name names but apparently not. I was waiting for it months.

You can argue about the size of the fleet size but the quality matters.

That said I will be watching carefully and of course as I'm Air Force 1 supporter but programs like Argo will always be tough and keep it interesting.

It's odd that I have to hunt for news and tracker is "eh" at best.

not wanting to seem critical either but damn! no twitter updates, nothing current on facebook and race 5 has got to be over by now and no updated results.

it is easy for me to say...sitting here at work dying for information but again, damn!

not wanting to seem critical either but damn! no twitter updates, nothing current on facebook and race 5 has got to be over by now and no updated results.

it is easy for me to say...sitting here at work dying for information but again, damn!

well, i'll be. race 5 results are going up.

well, i'll be. race 5 results are going up.

It is: http://www.melges24worlds.com/results/

About time. It took awhile.

Anybody know what boat hit the rock in or near Government Cut on the way in yesterday and if boat was ok ? Able to sail today ?

C

You beat me to the crickets and put this up. I was too busy trying to figure out the website and besides the particular boat/program/owner the scratch sheet ( http://www.yachtscoring.com/event_scratch_sheet.cfm?eID=1352 ) with only one name per boat?. I knew Bora was there but I had to hunt to find out that McKee is sailing with him. I don't know Bora and I'm not a Melges 24 guy but I have a long relationship with Jonathan both in sailing and personally. I could have e-mailed him personally but I have wouldn't bugged him coming up to a worlds. That said Bora and Jonathan now have a good relationship over a few years and I'm glad they are sailing together. Jonathan has what? 3 or 4 world championships in 24's with Uka-Uka and one or two others. Porter on Full Throttle? I can't remember. But there is a message/theme there.

Of course I'm always interested with fleet but particularly the Canuck contingent like Richard "Dickie" Clark. I thought he was in the regatta and maybe on "Mikey" or something but with the lame scratch sheet you don't who's who. They used to name names but apparently not. I was waiting for it months.

You can argue about the size of the fleet size but the quality matters.

That said I will be watching carefully and of course as I'm Air Force 1 supporter but programs like Argo will always be tough and keep it interesting.

It's odd that I have to hunt for news and tracker is "eh" at best.

Jonathon also won with Spithill in Key Largo.

Looks like they are done for the day for race 6. I'm not sure I'm trusting the tracker either. It was sticking earlier. But Air Force 1 had a a 21st? I guess you can get a bad race our you foul you'd the way back mode right quick in this tight fleet. Monsoon is back too and Argo got a 12th.

anyone know why the Mudratz had to retire in race 5 and DNS in 6?

tractrac is pretty useless to outsiders IMO and the vast majority of people don't look at it unless they are racing at the regatta.

organizers fired the guy who was getting the sponsors. then the class decided to blow even more money by bringing their own photo and video people from italy and france. then the class got scared about the video jury thing, and so on, so had to eat the costs. Then you had one guy who doesn't sail his own boat, running around chicken littling everything and scaring the wimps at IMCA. Basically, the folks running the class don't have a whole lot of initiative or willingness to think outside the box, meaning instead of a world-beating regatta with a record entry field and unheard of shoreside activities, you have a relatively average 75-boat regatta.

Here's the thing: It's still the second biggest US Melges 24 worlds in history, with plenty of depth in both corinthian and open fleets. everyone should be jealous if they ain't there. I know i am.

Outside looking in: shit load of hype and then............ it fell flat. Sweet boat. Sweet venue. Sweet fleet depth. Pics and few vids make it look like a good time. Not nearly the spectacle I thought it would be.

Seems like they under-delivered a tad, but I'm sure everyone there is having a blast.

Do they not have an owner/charterer driver rule? Thought I heard the commentator on a video say Stu was driving Embarr...?

Go Bora go.

anyone know why the Mudratz had to retire in race 5 and DNS in 6?

broken rudder

Looks like they are done for the day for race 6. I'm not sure I'm trusting the tracker either. It was sticking earlier. But Air Force 1 had a a 21st? I guess you can get a bad race our you foul you'd the way back mode right quick in this tight fleet. Monsoon is back too and Argo got a 12th.

Bora was over early, tough to come back. Although Embarr was over and did just fine.

bummer that some of these owners have such little respect for their crews that they cant even add their names to the yacht scoring scratch sheets (except for someone like Bora who i'm sure legitimately didnt have the time...)

bummer that some of these owners have such little respect for their crews that they cant even add their names to the yacht scoring scratch sheets (except for someone like Bora who i'm sure legitimately didnt have the time...)

Yeah I do actually enjoy scrolling through and checking, it is amazing how many names you know when you get to see them!

Some different results today, hope we get to hear more about it.

Yeah I do actually enjoy scrolling through and checking, it is amazing how many names you know when you get to see them!

Some different results today, hope we get to hear more about it.

Results up from today: http://www.melges24worlds.com/results/ That hurt for AF 1 against Emarr. Bit of a dog fight in the next 3 boats.

I'm not sure though that it was the competitors/owners call with the names on yacht scoring/scratch sheet. You would think it was administration think that "all" the names (except the owners) are missing.

Guys. Quick update from the action.

Been a great two days of sailing in Miami so far. 74 total boats and over the past two days and 6 races we have seen 12-20 with 4-10' seas. Pretty epic stuff.

Stu just has a different gear right now, mostly downwind.....so fast....but everyone can still make mistakes; especially with 6 more races and no more drops.

The rest of the forecast is very fuzzy, its the short term forecast is changing many times a day leading up.

Couple answers to comments. The Melges 24 Worlds FB page has all the most recent info, live and updates. We are doing the best we can there; I have watched some; you all need to remember when they are running between marks they are dealing with a pretty good swell.

There were three break downs today, rudder, rig and one more issue which I forget.

The class does not have an owner driver rule, just the corinthian rule where all people on the boat need to be CAT 1.

On it not being a spectacle, there was a management change back in the summer; for the exact reasons I am not sure, but with Peteys moving on a lot of the marketing dropped. Hitting the 120 or so "registered boats" was always a long shot (there were people registered who didnt even own a boat) but 80 - 100 was doable; but we are 74; which is still the second largest in the US. But what people are overlooking is the 39 total CAT 1 teams....that shows the boat is back at the grass roots level.

USA 547, John Brown and Kevin Jewett, hit the rock off Smith & Wolinskis.

Again, best info is on the EVENT FACEBOOK PAGE during the day. That is the only thing updated during the day; the results, pics and more info is on the International M24 FB page.

Fling questions and I will try to answer when we can.

Travis Weisleder

Lucky Dog

Yes thanks Travis - in the PWN or the Canadian SW (or anything north of 45 N lat or so) it's pretty gloomy as the sun sets at 5 or so it's great we have a man on the street In Miami (bastard! lol). So thank you again and it seems you are having not a bad regatta yourself - keep it! We'll be watching as our mushrooms are blooming!

I think they heard you since most crew lists at least at the top are now updated.

http://www.yachtscoring.com/event_results_cumulative.cfm?eID=1352

I think they heard you since most crew lists at least at the top are now updated.

http://www.yachtscoring.com/event_results_cumulative.cfm?eID=1352

Thanks robalex for noting that. Did we do that? lol.

There are some most excellent live coverage with the Stars on the mysterious Front Page. Great job there -wow!

looks like the M24's are just about to get wound up for race 8.

Looks like by the tracker they are done for the day with race 9. Apparently AF1 (yay) and followed by Embarr (another strong perfomance in 2nd) then: Altea, SlingShot,Monsoon rounding out the order. I hope we get results of race 9 as there is quite a battle brewing for 3rd down.

Embarr wins the crew position contest:

Conor Clarke

Aoife English Chef

David Hughes Staysail trimmer

Stuart McNay Runners

Maurice O'Connell Spinnaker trimmer

Embarr wins the crew position contest:

Conor Clarke

Aoife English Chef

David Hughes Staysail trimmer

Stuart McNay Runners

Maurice O'Connell Spinnaker trimmer

pretty sure they've locked the regatta as well considering only one race scheduled for today and then whatever they get off tomorrow, which was only scheduled for two. not much room for embarr to make too many big loses.

One race today. 10 knots flat out of the north.

Two races tomorrow. 14-20 knots forecast. Should be great.

With three races left anything can happen still.

Follow along on the tracker and event FB page

Sorry about not putting up a crew list. On the boat is Kyle Bavin, Norman berge, Charlie Smythe, and of course Jonathan Mckee.

Sorry about not putting up a crew list. On the boat is Kyle Bavin, Norman berge, Charlie Smythe, and of course Jonathan Mckee.

Thanks Bora; I mean it from us in the cheap seats wasting time at work but it is a important waste of time for us.

You go guys - we are watching! Tell Jonathan there is a chance of snow in the region; bloody cold compared to Miami anyway.So don't rush home!

Question. How much for a post 2016 worlds, fairly cocked M24? Ie top 15 finisher? Turn key programme?

Question. How much for a post 2016 worlds, fairly cocked M24? Ie top 15 finisher? Turn key programme?

I wouldn't recommend getting into the class this way, and it would depend heavily on the sail inventory, spares, etc... Guidelines can be found on the class website classifieds.

The racing was awesome, not average or close to it. Thanks to the regatta management and RC for prioritizing this and making it awesome.

The media coverage / european photography / etc... was all super weak. The videos were 2mins of sailing out of 5mins. The pictures were of the same 20 out of 75 boats. Half the teams having to come in from an hour long+ motor in the mornings, while the others stayed in Miami Beach was a bit tough to swallow.

The trac trac stuff was great for reviewing after racing, developing starting strategy, etc...

39 Corinthian teams doing a regatta with this much commitment and challenge is great - but also 35 owners with the commitment to running a professional team to win this classes championship also needs to be lauded - those guys were a big part of the success here.