swangtang

NYYC foiling tri

That'l never work. No uptip foils no adjustable centre T-foil. Thats what happens when you deal with amateurs like M&M rather than ringing a true foiling genius.

They are getting built in Australia by Innovations Composites for a new Grand Prix series. I assumed the series will be in Oz, but who knows...

That'l never work. No uptip foils no adjustable centre T-foil. Thats what happens when you deal with amateurs like M&M rather than ringing a true foiling genius.

good one!

Check out the surface piercing ama foils:

r7j2gk.jpg

This is their Super Foiler with uptip ama foils:

2yjx5vo.jpg

I don't think there is a new "NYYC foiling tri"

i think maybe a member thinks there should be one...

i doubt it will happen any time soon

Wrong on all counts.

i'm happy to be wrong about it!

Wrong on all counts.

Dya know anything you can tell us?

Its not a NYYC project, just happens to be funded by a group that happen to be members.

5 boats on order, tooling to start very soon and boat 1 due around May 2017.

Its a very high end build, with some very neat features integrated from the start to make the ownership and running pretty easy to deal with.

more news shortly I hope.

why a new design and not Diam24s? ok they dont foil. What about GC32s then?

is it that easy to just commision a new design, tooling etc? it seems sailing is composed of thousand of niches...

anyway its great to see, even if I´m not going to buy

There are two new foiling tris by M&M mentioned in this thread-the one Macca is talking about(32' TF 10--5 or 6 sold) and the new Super Foiler. Each one uses a different type of main foil and is targeted for fairly different "jobs" and markets as best I can tell.

why a new design and not Diam24s? ok they dont foil. What about GC32s then?

is it that easy to just commision a new design, tooling etc? it seems sailing is composed of thousand of niches...

anyway its great to see, even if I´m not going to buy

The Diam is nice boat, but its very much a day sailer, no capacity to do longer races. Plus no foils and pretty basic build method that is suitable for the price point.

The GC is really a boat for teams that are either full Pro or heavily loaded with Pro's, its the nature of that beast and there are running costs associated with such a boat.

So, you end up having to build something to tick all the boxes, and the TF10 i what we got :)

Macca, it looks to me like the TF10 is designed to fly on all four foils-is that right?

thanks

Good stuff-thanks. See the Super Foiler build website in post 7 above...

yes - very, very interesting, and now back reality and finding out the $$$ for an ordinary pleb like me

yes - very, very interesting, and now back reality and finding out the $$$ for an ordinary pleb like me

Rumours have been going around that a foiling F-22R could be a possibility in the future, using the F-32SR foils which apparently would fit on the F-22

post-33029-0-27233200-1480805323_thumb.jpg

Could be affordable, have room, and the C foils are fully retractable. Email Farrier Marine if interested, and maybe they could be persuaded to make something like this sooner.

correct

Think the extreme series also would benefit from having z-foils. Too short courses to really benefit from L-foils. A lot of hassel and not much time to trim both sails and foils

and i had to find out from a newport dock rat rather than my old friend macca. doghouse for you!

Its not a NYYC project, just happens to be funded by a group that happen to be members.

5 boats on order, tooling to start very soon and boat 1 due around May 2017.

Its a very high end build, with some very neat features integrated from the start to make the ownership and running pretty easy to deal with.

more news shortly I hope.

correct

Think the extreme series also would benefit from having z-foils. Too short courses to really benefit from L-foils. A lot of hassel and not much time to trim both sails and foils

Watched the Extreme racing from sydney on TV last night and there were a reasonable number of times when teams left both boards down going downwind. I think it is because the courses are so short. Watching large, strong pro sailors struggling to lift boards seems wrong. I was also surprised how relatively hard they were to get up and stay up on foils. Maybe on a long course they foil better, but from what I have seen, on some of these tight stadium style courses, it's far harder than it needs to be.

Seems to me that the A Class has led the way and that Z foils really are the way forward. I think it makes perfect sense for these NYYC boat to go with Z foils for both ease of foiling and ease of maneuvering.

Its going to be interesting to see how well they keep the TF 10 main hull out of the water when foiling-especially in waves.......

Rumours have been going around that a foiling F-22R could be a possibility in the future, using the F-32SR foils which apparently would fit on the F-22

attachicon.gifF-32SRFlying.jpg

Could be affordable, have room, and the C foils are fully retractable. Email Farrier Marine if interested, and maybe they could be persuaded to make something like this sooner.

Oooooo, now you have piqued my interest

buuut did have a deposit down on a 22R and had to withdraw once the Aus $ went south, taking it unfort out of my reach. Went and did the costing exercise last week again just for interest & came out around $150k for what I desired - too rich for lil ole me

Never know, may start a new thread 'the poor man's foiler' once I can work it out (if ever)

attachicon.gifF-32SRFlying.jpg

Oooooo, now you have piqued my interest

buuut did have a deposit down on a 22R and had to withdraw once the Aus $ went south, taking it unfort out of my reach. Went and did the costing exercise last week again just for interest & came out around $150k for what I desired - too rich for lil ole me

Never know, may start a new thread 'the poor man's foiler' once I can work it out (if ever)

Yes have to agree. $150k+ for a standard F22R without any fancy foiling gear isn't affordable in my world. Then there is availability. Eight boats built in over five years with an order list of over 100. May be a possibility for your grandchildren.

Such a shame. Great boat but no availability and not even plan built availability now. Also the foils seem to have a high failure rate on the 32.

Maybe a different lighter platform would be better for such a project. The DIAM seems ideal.

"Learning to fly, but I ain't got wings"

FB:

"Good TF10 news this Monday. The TF10 has been nominated for European Yacht of the Year 2018 in the category Special Yacht.

In addition, we went out sailing the TF10 trimaran for the very first time over the weekend. We took it very gently - the briefing was to slowly explore the boat and ensure the structural integrity first and foremost.

Also when in the water the @morellimelvin designed platform felt stiff and light on its feet. After a few hours, we felt confident to gradually increase the loads.

We saw wind speeds from 4 knots to 20+ knots, great for testing. In all conditions, the boat feels easy to handle with nice low sheet loads and a superdirect and light helm. Very close to an A-cat in terms of steering response! We topped off at 24 knots speed.

There is much more to test and to learn before we can sail the TF10 to its full potential. But it starts with first impressions and these are very promising, you can feel the balance is there and we will now work on improving and finding the right settings.

We also learnt that the actuators require finetuning. In a few days we will have better images taken, for now you will have to make do with these.. Let us know what you think!"

Platform looks good, although with the main reefed and the screecher up, it looks very clear that they rigged the screecher inside the shrouds and it isn't working.  Probably a screecher to a block off the front beam would bring the sexy.  As it is the gap between the screecher and main is a mess and you could probably fly just as well if you had a full 100% er off the prodder.  Will be interesting to watch.

Good on you boys, the platform looks stiff and ready to develop.

2 hours ago, Legion of Modernrate Jack said:

Wow i bet you win every race with mad sail skillz.

Not all of them, just the nationals and regionals.  There are always professionals available to win the worlds....  dick.