Flynt

TOPPER SPORT 16 ??

Hi Anarchists! I just bought an Dinghy that is totally discontinued: a Topper Sport16.

I´m trying to contact to any owner or people who had this Dinghy because mine has no forestay. It just have the jib. But looking for some pictures like this, you can see that some of them, somehow have a forestay attached to the bow. Mine has not this Stay and I´d love to have it.(add 2 pictures of my Boat) Anyway I ´d like to know more about this Dinghy or contact to people that had it.

SporKulubu_Aralik_haber3_b2.jpg

post-128162-0-42507600-1481273752_thumb.png

post-128162-0-98622600-1481273754_thumb.png

Thanks Oz and Speng!!

I contact them but this they dont have much info about boat . Topper Omega seems to be the modern sequel of Sport16. Apparently it doesnt need a forestay but I think I´m going to install one anyway. Makes me feel safer than without it

Makes me feel safer than without it

Why? It is very normal for dinghies (even small keelboats) to support the mast with a wire jib halyard.

I sail an RS Vision which has a forestay but it's only there to keep the mast up when the sails are down. It did once save the rig from falling down when the jib halyard snapped while going upwind, so has it's uses!

One problem with it though is that it sags once you put any rig tension on, so if you try to furl the jib it inevitably gets tangled up in it.

Also the Vision's is positioned to the side of the jib luff. The one in the photo you showed is right on the bow, so (a) I can see the kite going between it and the jib luff on hoists and drops and (B) if the jib halyard did break and the bow isn't designed to take the load, would you risk it ripping out and losing the rig anyway as well as leaving part of your bow missing?.

Sean

Yep dogwatch and Seasailor are right. I'm surprised Topper don't have design plans or a manual on file somewhere. And I have found their customer service to be pretty good in the past when I wanted imagery. Of course that was imagery for a potential sponsor for 5 boats, so there was maybe a sale in the future but ....

Craig Whitworth unsuccessfully went through his old files for us once, when we were looking for a manual for a Miller & Whitworth Swinger. Of course, that boat was built before Bob Miller changed his name to Ben Lexen. So its not that surprising he couldn't find it.

On 12/14/2016 at 5:47 PM, Flynt said:

I got the Topper Sport16 pdf :lol::lol: . if anybody wants it please send me a PM :lol::lol:

I would like to get the PDF please 

Peter.