Black Jack

Show your boat sailing thread

Recommended Posts

Very nice photo. Tell us more about her.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First cruising boat I have owned, the photo was three weeks after I bought her in St. Petersburg Fl.  I am her fifth owner. The previous owner did a good job maintaining Osprey. My wife fell in love with the boat when she went below, and it had an interior and not a five gallon bucket for a head. Osprey is a 1985 Pacific Seacraft, Crealock 37. I bought the boat because in my opinion it was a good choice for crossing an ocean. I had a dream to sail my own boat to Europe since I was thirteen. In May 2014 we did a transatlantic to Spain. Returning to West Palm beach two year later. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, OSPREY said:

First cruising boat I have owned, the photo was three weeks after I bought her in St. Petersburg Fl.  I am her fifth owner. The previous owner did a good job maintaining Osprey. My wife fell in love with the boat when she went below, and it had an interior and not a five gallon bucket for a head. Osprey is a 1985 Pacific Seacraft, Crealock 37. I bought the boat because in my opinion it was a good choice for crossing an ocean. I had a dream to sail my own boat to Europe since I was thirteen. In May 2014 we did a transatlantic to Spain. Returning to West Palm beach two year later. 

Good onya. She digs quite a hole in the ocean.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎7‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 9:52 AM, Cruisin Loser said:

I guess if KDH is showing his, I'll show mine. Older, but we love her.

IMG_7379mhr copy 2.jpg

5a4e5e302a7a5_IMG_0156RFS.thumb.jpg.bc2389af66bf7304b44d2e74830398f6.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, OSPREY said:

Fort Lauderdale Hospice Regatta 2009

947FE66A-6B6F-4F20-81C4-93837612B1FE.jpeg

Wow! Nice boat! 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yup birds...always stopping by for something to eat and a bit of downtime

IMG_7712.png

 

IMG_7711.png

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

July 2017 on the Manatee River, Bradenton Yacht Club Thursday Night Beer Can Race. 1982 Frers 36 built by Hinterhoeller

rat before storm 2.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IMG_8304_DxO

 Sunday 1/21 winding up with the Mizzen Staysail in about 2 kts at masthead (51') and below, we are rolling under the Ranger 33 "Jackal" 

IMG_8310_DxO_40

Earlier in 2017 sparring with a Santana 22 in light air when we had to tack.. 

IMG_2875_DxO_45

and another 

IMG_3327_DxO_std

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A couple of Salazar...

20130805_Salazar+-+Cruising+with+Nancy+%

Ben Eoin Yacht Club, Bras d'Or Lake, Cape Breton Island (home)...

20130811_Salazar+at+Ben+Eoin+Marina_0030

one more...

20130810_Salazar+at+Ben+Eoin+Marina_0068

IMG_2376.JPG

Monday, October 9th, 2017, Thanksgiving Day here in Canada.

2017-10-09-Salazar+to+Dobson+-+Donphins-

2017-10-09-Salazar+to+Dobson+-+Donphins-

2017-10-09-Salazar+to+Dobson+-+Donphins-

2017-10-09-Salazar+to+Dobson+-+Donphins-

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, IStream said:

Beautiful boat, great photos.

Thank you.  That Monday with the dolphins was a blast.  We sailed into them by chance and they stayed and played with us for 10 or 15 min, then they went on their way.

Then Anne said, "Can we turn around?"

So we did... and they came back and played with us some more. I got my camera out and started firing away.  They eventually grew tired of us and headed off and we turned back to onto our original course for our destination ...and they came back and played with us all over again!

Fun!

2017-10-09-Salazar+to+Dobson+-+Donphins-

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lovely boat and lovely photos.  Your boat is very sleek.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ajax said:

Lovely boat and lovely photos.  Your boat is very sleek.

Thank you Ajax, the dolphins seemed to like the boat too.  I can't take credit for the sleekness though, but I would say Rob Ball knew what he was doing when he drew up the design.  I had an email from Rob in the summer when I was working on a Wikipedia entry on the design.  I'll quote my favourite part of his email below (I have his permission to publish this part):

Quote

I really love that design, and feel it really was/is the culmination of all the past experience, and designs that I did . . . .

The fun part was that the goal of the basic design was ‘A Fast Boat’ without any distortions for handicap rules . . The rule being used mostly was PHRF and keeping the name at 37 when the boat was actually longer than that was a tongue-in-cheek effort to fool the handicappers when it was introduced . . . After the boat was sailing and presumably sailing better than a 37 footer, they would change the rating – but by then we would have at least created ‘notice’ in the marketplace – HA . . . . . In truth I did have a 37.49 foot design ready, but pleaded with marketing to lengthen it. Indeed it was the longest waterline 37 footer, the most interior 37 footer, maybe the fastest 37 footer . . . . BUT it was also the most expensive 37 footer . . . . The marketing guys pushed for the name change(s) . . .

Everyone that I have run into – love the boat . . . .

Rob Ball

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I almost bought a C&C 37/40XL in Newport, RI around 1998 by the name of "Duck Soup". $125k was the asking if I recall.  It was the "one" that got away.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, MauiPunter said:

I almost bought a C&C 37/40XL in Newport, RI around 1998 by the name of "Duck Soup". $125k was the asking if I recall.  It was the "one" that got away.  

It is still active sailing in Narragansett Bay by the same name.  I think it's the same owner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I might add that there could be no better guide to Cape Breton than Salazar. His knowledge and hospitality go above and beyond.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Cruisin Loser said:

I might add that there could be no better guide to Cape Breton than Salazar. His knowledge and hospitality go above and beyond.

Gosh, thank you Crusin, that is a very kind thing for you to say.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, MauiPunter said:

I almost bought a C&C 37/40XL in Newport, RI around 1998 by the name of "Duck Soup". $125k was the asking if I recall.  It was the "one" that got away.  

As far as I can tell, only 15 of the XL version were built so they are a bit rare.  25 or so of the early adopters went with the 37R.  Most owners were happy with the 37+ version.

The XL works for us though, I like having the running backs and check stays when I feel I need them, and the 8' of draft isn't a problem in my part of the world.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Salazar said:

As far as I can tell, only 15 of the XL version were built so they are a bit rare.  25 or so of the early adopters went with the 37R.  Most owners were happy with the 37+ version.

The XL works for us though, I like having the running backs and check stays when I feel I need them, and the 8' of draft isn't a problem in my part of the world.

I agree.  Its why I wanted the XL version.  Best of both worlds, comfort and performance.   Love your boat.  And its my favorite color.  :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fairway Challenge race 2018. Cracked sheets and twisting off the top trying to balance the hem in a sloppy seaway heading for the turning mark. We're passing an X41 and a DK46, it was a good angle and wind range for the Pogo. 

IMG_0119b.thumb.jpg.5e23ab50b5fcb343e09d19a99848e8f5.jpg

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That should be an example photo in a lecture on sail trim.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, shaggybaxter said:

Fairway Challenge race 2018. Cracked sheets and twisting off the top trying to balance the hem in a sloppy seaway heading for the turning mark. We're passing an X41 and a DK46, it was a good angle and wind range for the Pogo. 

IMG_0119b.thumb.jpg.5e23ab50b5fcb343e09d19a99848e8f5.jpg

Very nice but all I could thiink of was:"  They let you blow past them to Windward?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, shaggybaxter said:

Fairway Challenge race 2018. Cracked sheets and twisting off the top trying to balance the hem in a sloppy seaway heading for the turning mark. We're passing an X41 and a DK46, it was a good angle and wind range for the Pogo. 

IMG_0119b.thumb.jpg.5e23ab50b5fcb343e09d19a99848e8f5.jpg

Is LB on deck? Perhaps down below looking for more rum?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, py26129 said:

Very nice but all I could thiink of was:"  They let you blow past them to Windward?"

G’day Py,

Thx, and yep the X yacht tried, they were better positioned ie: more ahead. The wind angle was about 60-70 true so we just followed him up and let the boat speed do it’s thing. To be fair, he’s a mate, so I don’t think he tried too hard. 

42 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

Is LB on deck? Perhaps down below looking for more rum?

Ish, LB’s couldn’t play, he’s been working too much. You can tell when he’s working, he not flaming all the newbies.

30 minutes ago, xsailmakerSYD said:

Boat goes fast(er) with a busted wheel......   :unsure::unsure:

Xsail, my devious plan is working! Wags tomorrow is forecast to be 25 odd knots, I’ll probably come home with the other wheel trimmed(?) down based on the last few outings. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, shaggybaxter said:

G’day Py,

Thx, and yep the X yacht tried, they were better positioned ie: more ahead. The wind angle was about 60-70 true so we just followed him up and let the boat speed do it’s thing. To be fair, he’s a mate, so I don’t think he tried too hard. 

Ish, LB’s couldn’t play, he’s been working too much. You can tell when he’s working, he not flaming all the newbies.

Xsail, my devious plan is working! Wags tomorrow is forecast to be 25 odd knots, I’ll probably come home with the other wheel trimmed(?) down based on the last few outings. 

It's a race boat, how much wheel do you need?

310alugt.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ahem...cough..it’s a cruiser thank you. The handicapper might be lurking here... Scanas just had me replace the nav seat with a rocking chair, my crew are particular chaps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shaggy is being polite. When the rest of the fleet are easing sheets to keep the heel angle & rudder straight the Pogo just flys past. Even amoungst friends they wouldn't sail away from their course to let you through. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, shaggybaxter said:

Ahem...cough..it’s a cruiser thank you. The handicapper might be lurking here... Scanas just had me replace the nav seat with a rocking chair, my crew are particular chaps.

I hope you didn't take my sail trim comment in a negative way. It was meant as a compliment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Ajax said:

I hope you didn't take my sail trim comment in a negative way. It was meant as a compliment.

Gday Ajax, 

I’m flattered, thank you, but embarrassingly I still don’t feel I’ve mastered it yet. It is brilliant single handed when I’m not trying with everything eased to the point of luffing , I often wonder if I’m killing it when crewed by trying too hard and oversheeting. Then there’s days where the crew will sheet on and she just changes gears.

We had a new guy on board that later in the race nailed the barber hauler and clew position by shifting the ring up less than two inches and a touch more on the sheet, and transformed the boat beating to windward. It just fucks with my head! I think I need to sail away for a month or so till I really learn her mannerisms...sigh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, shaggybaxter said:

Gday Ajax, 

I’m flattered, thank you, but embarrassingly I still don’t feel I’ve mastered it yet. It is brilliant single handed when I’m not trying with everything eased to the point of luffing , I often wonder if I’m killing it when crewed by trying too hard and oversheeting. Then there’s days where the crew will sheet on and she just changes gears.

We had a new guy on board that later in the race nailed the barber hauler and clew position by shifting the ring up less than two inches and a touch more on the sheet, and transformed the boat beating to windward. It just fucks with my head! I think I need to sail away for a month or so till I really learn her mannerisms...sigh.

I can relate to this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, shaggybaxter said:

Gday Ajax, 

I’m flattered, thank you, but embarrassingly I still don’t feel I’ve mastered it yet. It is brilliant single handed when I’m not trying with everything eased to the point of luffing , I often wonder if I’m killing it when crewed by trying too hard and oversheeting. Then there’s days where the crew will sheet on and she just changes gears.

We had a new guy on board that later in the race nailed the barber hauler and clew position by shifting the ring up less than two inches and a touch more on the sheet, and transformed the boat beating to windward. It just fucks with my head! I think I need to sail away for a month or so till I really learn her mannerisms...sigh.

Isn't that part of the fun of a new boat?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, shaggybaxter said:

G’day Py,

Thx, and yep the X yacht tried, they were better positioned ie: more ahead. The wind angle was about 60-70 true so we just followed him up and let the boat speed do it’s thing. To be fair, he’s a mate, so I don’t think he tried too hard. 

 

It must be nice to have that kind of boat speed.  :-) 

Plus, your mates are nicer than mine.  When we were racing convincing them not to try too hard would cost me at least a beer or a Scotch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, overdraft said:

last four boats... 

A878E42F-2465-40C7-AE02-AA32EAED1CF2.jpeg

 

What is it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kirby 25.... fun little boat. usually level with J24, bit a bit tweakier with the runners and inline spreaders, and more interior room.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have one in our Wednesday night fleet. They do well. The boat is good and the crew has been sailing together for a long time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Second Wind circa ~2003
(sold a couple of years later)
Hope to have sailing pics of the Craigslist Special Flying Dutchman before too long ...

Second_Wind_under_sail.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My New Bombay Trading Company Explorer 44. On passage from the Tobago Cays to Bequia. It was a light wind day for the Eastern Carib so I had full sail up. 7.5 to 8 knots.

 

1-IMG_2496.JPG

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/22/2018 at 11:05 AM, TQA said:

My New Bombay Trading Company Explorer 44. On passage from the Tobago Cays to Bequia. It was a light wind day for the Eastern Carib so I had full sail up. 7.5 to 8 knots.

 

1-IMG_2496.JPG

Nice photo 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On February 21, 2018 at 10:42 PM, overdraft said:

last four boats... 

 

None of those look particularly cruisy, but still nice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

understood,  mind you the hobie cat and the kayak didn’t look cruisy either... but in reality i just can’t find any pictures of my H28!

how about this from over 40 years ago!  not sailing in the pic, but it did soon after... My buddy and I circumnavigated Vancouver Island in this little 18’ Corsair when we were teenagers

 

8BEC9187-4167-4EB7-B0F6-3E998E6D8ABD.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rhodes 22. Still mine for 2 more weeks. Not much of a cruiser compared to most of y'alls boats but a great inshore cruiser for new sailors in shallow water... It's a niche boat.

FB_IMG_1492690398643.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, FrancisMarion said:

Rhodes 22. Still mine for 2 more weeks. Not much of a cruiser compared to most of y'alls boats but a great inshore cruiser for new sailors in shallow water... It's a niche boat.

FB_IMG_1492690398643.jpg

Raced on of those in the 80’s. Not fast, but fun to be out on!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Sail4beer said:

Raced on of those in the 80’s. Not fast, but fun to be out on!

That's the truth. We rate 273 in home water. I don't think there are many more comfortable boats in the size range.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Overdraft

The Corsair 18 was my first boat bought in '74 and rebuilt it than taught myself to sail.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

8 hours ago, FrancisMarion said:

Rhodes 22. Still mine for 2 more weeks. Not much of a cruiser compared to most of y'alls boats but a great inshore cruiser for new sailors in shallow water... It's a niche boat.

FB_IMG_1492690398643.jpg

IIRC that was the last design out of Phil Rhodes office.

What a denouement to such an illustrious career. :blink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, FrancisMarion said:

Rhodes 22. Still mine for 2 more weeks. Not much of a cruiser compared to most of y'alls boats but a great inshore cruiser for new sailors in shallow water... It's a niche boat.

FB_IMG_1492690398643.jpg

Where in SC do you sail?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/24/2018 at 3:13 AM, FrancisMarion said:

Rhodes 22. Still mine for 2 more weeks. Not much of a cruiser compared to most of y'alls boats but a great inshore cruiser for new sailors in shallow water... It's a niche boat.

FB_IMG_1492690398643.jpg

 It’s a very good boat for what it’s good at,   I couldn’t find a better combination of convenient single handed daysailor, daysailor for several, or trailer launchable couples pocket cruiser for gunkholing or coastal use.   What are you replacing it with?   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/24/2018 at 12:10 PM, SloopJonB said:

[pic of Rhodes 22]

IIRC that was the last design out of Phil Rhodes office.

What a denouement to such an illustrious career. :blink:

I'm not sure how much of it, if any at all, that Phil Rhodes drew or even saw. The story I heard is that the fellow who started building them already had the boat designed but wanted a big-name designer's blessing; and a check on the structure & stability.

FB- Doug

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Lark said:

 It’s a very good boat for what it’s good at,   I couldn’t find a better combination of convenient single handed daysailor, daysailor for several, or trailer launchable couples pocket cruiser for gunkholing or coastal use.   What are you replacing it with?   

Bears more than a passing resemblance to Cy Hamlin's Amphicon and controversy Ketch which would have preceded it.  Of course the Amphibicon was really the first trailerable pocket cruiser and to this day represents a great little boat for cruising around a coast like Maine's.  Sadly Cy passed away this last summer; I think he was 99 or 100.  One of the greats.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

I'm not sure how much of it, if any at all, that Phil Rhodes drew or even saw. The story I heard is that the fellow who started building them already had the boat designed but wanted a big-name designer's blessing; and a check on the structure & stability.

FB- Doug

That's my understanding as well. Guy named Stan Spitzer had a good idea of what he wanted and he's been building them ever since. I think he's finally retiring this year. Small craft advisor did an interview with him and published it a month or so ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Lark said:

 It’s a very good boat for what it’s good at,   I couldn’t find a better combination of convenient single handed daysailor, daysailor for several, or trailer launchable couples pocket cruiser for gunkholing or coastal use.   What are you replacing it with?   

Haven't decided yet exactly. Looking for a cruiser in the 32-36ft range that can perform in light air. Lots of options out there. Been leaning towards a Catalina 36 or 320 lately, but we'll see how those ideas hold up over time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

I'm not sure how much of it, if any at all, that Phil Rhodes drew or even saw. The story I heard is that the fellow who started building them already had the boat designed but wanted a big-name designer's blessing; and a check on the structure & stability.

FB- Doug

I know the builder.    Stan Spitzer is an engineer but not a navel architect.   The class association honored him at Annapolis since he's had an exhibit there every year there has been a show.   He's working as a hobby in his 90's at present.   The way Stan tells the story, he and his brother started out with the Picnic, an attempt at a small Macgregor style motor sailor back in the 1950's.   Outboard power was limited, I suspect the boat was heavy, and it was a commercial failure.   He had several aspects of it he liked.   He tried to build off the 505 popularity as well with the flaired hull shape (took some getting used to for me).   Stan went to Philip Rhodes with a request for a hull to meet his specs, the "Its what the client wanted" answer Rob Perry likes to use.   Stan used another outfit (an aircraft designer out of Kansas) to design the cockpit and cabin casting.   

The fiberglass shape and mast height are static.  They were initially built under contract, but the Spitzers bought the facilties of another bakrupt boat builder in North Carolina decades ago and started making them in house.  He claims part of his failure to go bankrupt was his refusal to expand during the good markets.   He returned deposits instead, and started building semi custom and doing factory refits when the markets slowed down.   

Its a rather unique experiment, building the same boat for half a century but modifying it based on boat show feedback, problems encountered during refits and customer suggestions.    I compared it to a 1960 Mercedes, still being built today but with modern mechanics and interior.    They added additional port-lights, deck hatches, modified the interior, shore power, marine head, IMF,  a pair of very ergonomic outboard mounts to chose from, etc.   

I like it, but freely admit its many trade offs.   

FWIW, Stan says Phillip Rhodes stoped by his booth at a show and seemed fond of the final product.   Something about the flaired hull growing on him.   

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, eliboat said:

Bears more than a passing resemblance to Cy Hamlin's Amphicon and controversy Ketch which would have preceded it.  Of course the Amphibicon was really the first trailerable pocket cruiser and to this day represents a great little boat for cruising around a coast like Maine's.  Sadly Cy passed away this last summer; I think he was 99 or 100.  One of the greats.

Thanks.   Googled the boats.   I can see the resemblance of the bow.   Different rig and very different below the water line.    It looks like the Amphicon has a reverse sheer, the R-22 is pretty straight but the flair and a bit of heel makes it look like there is a reverse sheer.    Cool to see the origins of the trailer sailor.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Lark said:

I know the builder.    Stan Spitzer is an engineer but not a navel architect.   The class association honored him at Annapolis since he's had an exhibit there every year there has been a show.   He's working as a hobby in his 90's at present.   The way Stan tells the story, he and his brother started out with the Picnic, an attempt at a small Macgregor style motor sailor back in the 1950's.   Outboard power was limited, I suspect the boat was heavy, and it was a commercial failure.   He had several aspects of it he liked.   He tried to build off the 505 popularity as well with the flaired hull shape (took some getting used to for me).   Stan went to Philip Rhodes with a request for a hull to meet his specs, the "Its what the client wanted" answer Rob Perry likes to use.   Stan used another outfit (an aircraft designer out of Kansas) to design the cockpit and cabin casting.   

The fiberglass shape and mast height are static.  They were initially built under contract, but the Spitzers bought the facilties of another bakrupt boat builder in North Carolina decades ago and started making them in house.  He claims part of his failure to go bankrupt was his refusal to expand during the good markets.   He returned deposits instead, and started building semi custom and doing factory refits when the markets slowed down.   

Its a rather unique experiment, building the same boat for half a century but modifying it based on boat show feedback, problems encountered during refits and customer suggestions.    I compared it to a 1960 Mercedes, still being built today but with modern mechanics and interior.    They added additional port-lights, deck hatches, modified the interior, shore power, marine head, IMF,  a pair of very ergonomic outboard mounts to chose from, etc.   

I like it, but freely admit its many trade offs.   

FWIW, Stan says Phillip Rhodes stoped by his booth at a show and seemed fond of the final product.   Something about the flaired hull growing on him.   

I also know the builder. If you lived closer and met him more often, you might take some of what he says with a grain of salt. Stan has certainly done well staying in business building boats all these years.

It's got many good points and I'm glad you like the boat.

FB- Doug

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/24/2018 at 5:19 PM, OSPREY said:

6683D1A2-D185-476E-8B17-17D186FF09DA.jpeg

Nice! Info?

Digging a good hole in the ocean (hey! I resemble that comment...)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting gooseneck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, RedRyder said:

Nice! Info?

Digging a good hole in the ocean (hey! I resemble that comment...)

 

8 hours ago, RedRyder said:

Nice! Info?

Digging a good hole in the ocean (hey! I resemble that comment...)

Ohlson 38 doing Miami to Key Largo Race. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5a989e28ab834_GreatExpectations1987.jpg.36ddae18e0268097001994829a2df2b8.jpgFleet_Miami.jpg.39c71434555bc8f475d8607c29ad00c0.jpg

Back in her glory days.

K-711

Great Expectations 

Ex. Yeoman XXVII

Ex. Great Expectations 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quite the family cruising boat. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Cruisin Loser said:

Quite the family cruising boat. 

Hot and cold running water, hydronic heat, water maker, and a freezer that makes ice... She does the trick.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quite the FAST family cruising boat. Glad to see she has a second life. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, being as it's Cruising Anarchy I'll try again with a different one of my boats since someone said my last four boats were too racy!

 

h28.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, overdraft said:

OK, being as it's Cruising Anarchy I'll try again with a different one of my boats since someone said my last four boats were too racy!

 

h28.jpg

Looks like she was quite the racy item in her day...... beautiful!

Thanks

FB- Doug

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, overdraft said:

OK, being as it's Cruising Anarchy I'll try again with a different one of my boats since someone said my last four boats were too racy!

 

h28.jpg

What is that? Beautiful looking...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/19/2018 at 9:25 AM, shaggybaxter said:

Fairway Challenge race 2018. Cracked sheets and twisting off the top trying to balance the hem in a sloppy seaway heading for the turning mark. We're passing an X41 and a DK46, it was a good angle and wind range for the Pogo. 

IMG_0119b.thumb.jpg.5e23ab50b5fcb343e09d19a99848e8f5.jpg

Happy boat rewarding his crew with speed...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

What is that? Beautiful looking...

Herreshoff 28, or H-28 as they are usually referred to.... this one I had was the first sloop rigged one ever. They were drawn as ketches which you see a lot of, but I guess someone wanted a sloop so a new sail plan was drawn up... I had the plans when I had the boat... wish I’d kept them! Anyway, most H-28s are ketches, often with a doghouse on the cabin, which is great for cruising I’m sure, but I was young enough when I had her that I didn’t ming ducking a bit inside the cabin to have a prettier boat!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the info, very unique looking with sloop rig. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All that crap on deck obscures it too much to be sure but that has a definite early C&C look to it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5aa86616e5105_Attessa420.thumb.jpg.ff85063c32216da07723e5813b346ee9.jpg

With Atessa IV in the background

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DSC01541rs2.thumb.JPG.5a5d18db88f52cad1aa65f05fc975cb3.JPG

With BMW Oracle in the background

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Parma said:

DSC01541rs2.thumb.JPG.5a5d18db88f52cad1aa65f05fc975cb3.JPG

With BMW Oracle in the background

Did you manage to hold them off?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites