Black Jack

Show your boat sailing thread

20327846451_03a1e69a64_o.jpg

:D:D:D >

Ha! Yep, that's a photo sailing! Some detail?

Off Point Betsy during the 2015 Chicago Solo Mac. The boat taking the pic and I were lining up on the Manitous...After it had calmed down a bit below 30+ sustained. Seas were 6-8 with the sprinkling of some bigger "Three Sisters" sets.

Sporty.

We had just missed this Derecho that passed to our south, and this was the "wind punch" behind it...

[edit put up the wrong reference corrected here]

http://www.weather.gov/mkx/June22DamagingWindSummary

loop.gif

o432weZ.jpg

My first boat ever, a Hobie 16 I bought for $600. Everyone told me I should take lessons, but I didn`t have any more money. So, taught myself and did pretty well after watching some YouTube videos and a lot of sailing around English Bay in Vancouver. Eventually I messed up and capsized it, and since I always sailed alone, couldn`t right it without help. So, decided to sell it and buy a liveaboard boat!

SvsTDJT.jpg

This is "Seileastar", my Coronado 25 in Vancouver. I spent about 5 months living aboard her last summer and this fall.

0HOK6ES.jpg

This is me, heading south from Bowen Island. Yes, I know my sail trim here was abysmal... I was still learning. I ended up spending about 2 months sailing all over the gulf islands and then north towards discovery passage. Unfortunately, my engine blew up heading past Campbell River, and I ended up selling her to have money for food. I miss the sea a lot, I'm back in northern Ontario and looking for a job, but I'll be out on the sea again soon.

The Hobie 16 is a lot of fun. I got a chance to sail one in Fiji for a bit before having to head back because it was taking on water.

I actually used to fill both hulls with a little bit of water to keep mine stable because I was sailing solo. Worked surprisingly well, most I ever was out in was 18 knots, but that's a lot for a brand new sailor, and solo :P

Just outside Tsehum Harbour, Canadian Gulf Islands.

BKBpKOQ.jpg

That's a nice J35 you have there, thbbt....

Ahem...that's a C&C 35, but thanks. :)

Danish design 22ft "Marsvin" by Peter Bruun, huilt in 1980. Little sister of Spaekhugger, Grinde and Kaskelot.

IMAGE_58.jpg

Marsvin%20032.jpg

Sailing on the "IJsselmeer" the large fresh water lake in the Netherlands.

• Like 1

o432weZ.jpg

My first boat ever, a Hobie 16 I bought for $600. Everyone told me I should take lessons, but I didn`t have any more money. So, taught myself and did pretty well after watching some YouTube videos and a lot of sailing around English Bay in Vancouver. Eventually I messed up and capsized it, and since I always sailed alone, couldn`t right it without help. So, decided to sell it and buy a liveaboard boat!

SvsTDJT.jpg

This is "Seileastar", my Coronado 25 in Vancouver. I spent about 5 months living aboard her last summer and this fall.

0HOK6ES.jpg

This is me, heading south from Bowen Island. Yes, I know my sail trim here was abysmal... I was still learning. I ended up spending about 2 months sailing all over the gulf islands and then north towards discovery passage. Unfortunately, my engine blew up heading past Campbell River, and I ended up selling her to have money for food. I miss the sea a lot, I'm back in northern Ontario and looking for a job, but I'll be out on the sea again soon.

I started out with a Coronado 25 in 2009 as my first sailboat. They have several good qualities for the learning sailor, but they are slow and not very close winded.

I bought the boat while it was on a mooring ball. The day after Thanksgiving, I rowed out to it in a strong breeze, tied up the dinghy and climbed aboard. I tied a poor knot and the dinghy blew off, stranding me on the boat. The water was 40F degrees, with breezes 20+kts. Not a soul was around, so I was stuck there until some generous folk came out in a powerboat to retrieve me.

I also have a Hobie 16 and capsized going 13kts around a corner. Like a dumbass, I ran my righting line inside the shrouds, so I couldn't get my weight out far enough to right it. A sympathetic woman in a kayak paddled over and lifted the mast while I was hiked out on the righting line. The sails filled and the boat took off like a shot with me dragging from the aft crossbar. I managed to drag myself aboard before running aground on the opposite side of the creek.

Danish design 22ft "Marsvin" by Peter Bruun, huilt in 1980. Little sister of Spaekhugger, Grinde and Kaskelot.

IMAGE_58.jpg

Marsvin%20032.jpg

Sailing on the "IJsselmeer" the large fresh water lake in the Netherlands.

I really like this.

You have a solar panel and a wind vane which may indicate that you sail long distances. Do you trailer the boat to the sea, or do you stay on the lake?

Danish design 22ft "Marsvin" by Peter Bruun, huilt in 1980....

I really like this.

You have a solar panel and a wind vane which may indicate that you sail long distances. Do you trailer the boat to the sea, or do you stay on the lake?

I don't trailer the boat and hardly ever sail on the lake. My sailing consists of large solo crossings of the North Sea, to Shetlands, Norway, Brittany etc. like this: https://youtu.be/eu9nyCDaomM

I took off the wind vane because I couldn't get it to work properly; I now rely on a tillerdrive of which a carry several.

Ah, I remember now. You have that clever pivot for the solar panel. How do you get the boat to IJsselmeer lake if you don't trailer it? Lochs?

Great boat, great video.

Danish design 22ft "Marsvin" by Peter Bruun, huilt in 1980....

I really like this.

I don't trailer the boat and hardly ever sail on the lake. My sailing consists of large solo crossings of the North Sea, to Shetlands, Norway, Brittany etc. like this:

I took off the wind vane because I couldn't get it to work properly; I now rely on a tillerdrive of which a carry several.

Cool sailing on a simple and seaworthy boat, if you ever need some form of assistance while in Brittany or even just fancy a beer, feel free to ask!

I showed my wife a pic of an F31 interior when I tried to get her to let me get a different boat, last year.

I tried again last week. She is a Hunter Girl. There is no arguing with a Taurus, Scottish, right winger from east van, with her dad's prairie dog/highland temper.

Hunter Girl's get scared when the wind hits 15 knots or the depthsounder reads more than 150 feet and won't give up the galley and conveniences like heat and DHW, separate shower/wet locker/kibble storage, walk thru stern, aft queen accommodations, throw pillows....

To be fair, she helms when I need to, takes a dock line and she sets the anchor for me when we park, that's her duties. She also holds it in position for me when I row out and stern tie. She does just great and I just basically mime or act out the wheel turn direction, gear selection and throttle for her without any yelling. She loves the destination and I love the trip.

30 years together.

The 1991 Hunter 35.5 has been fun for club racing. This fall the highlights were a fight at the finish line with the Farr on right of way, beating the J30 once and much improved light air sailing skills. The Farr had a bad chute drop and the J sailed into a wind shift by the kite spit I saw and took advantage of. A handicap win as they are rated 133 now, for the vi360. It has been fun with some new crews on my boat. One is so stoked he rented a slip before he even bought a boat!

The Legend's have been raced to Hawaii.

It has stood up to my unintended abuse, overcanvassed and surfing in a gale, a sandbar grounding on a lowering tide in the harbour channel, Hunter girl gybe, Douglas Fir pinstriping, and even breaking the windex in the water, flattened from a big downdraft, one blustery fall day.

Pics

This stern tie anchorage, we call it Right Angle bay, is on the north tip of Gambier.

What our docks are looking like.

Hunter Girl late fall.

Seasons Greetings All

post-105471-0-29432100-1481563745_thumb.jpg

post-105471-0-65403500-1481563751_thumb.jpg

post-105471-0-22254700-1481564122_thumb.jpg

o432weZ.jpg

SvsTDJT.jpg

0HOK6ES.jpg

I started out with a Coronado 25 in 2009 as my first sailboat. They have several good qualities for the learning sailor, but they are slow and not very close winded.

I bought the boat while it was on a mooring ball. The day after Thanksgiving, I rowed out to it in a strong breeze, tied up the dinghy and climbed aboard. I tied a poor knot and the dinghy blew off, stranding me on the boat. The water was 40F degrees, with breezes 20+kts. Not a soul was around, so I was stuck there until some generous folk came out in a powerboat to retrieve me.

I also have a Hobie 16 and capsized going 13kts around a corner. Like a dumbass, I ran my righting line inside the shrouds, so I couldn't get my weight out far enough to right it. A sympathetic woman in a kayak paddled over and lifted the mast while I was hiked out on the righting line. The sails filled and the boat took off like a shot with me dragging from the aft crossbar. I managed to drag myself aboard before running aground on the opposite side of the creek.

Yeah, my Coronado wouldn't point closer than about 45-48 off the wind, but I had a main that was old as hell and only a 80% jib, so no big surprise. As a first keelboat it taught me quite a bit for sure. Nice and stable, easy to steer, simple to sail. Mine had a modified interior with amazing headroom (6'2" under the hatch) so it made for a great cruising boat.

My Hobie capsize I was probably going about 14 knots. It was a windy day and I went behind the stern of a tanker and then capsized when a gust hit just as I came out of the wind shadow. Tide was going out so I ended up drifting towards point grey and the Salish sea for about 40 minutes, no wetsuit in early June so by the time a tanker lookout called the coasties, I was pretty damn cold. I swear I was close to righting it, I just don't weigh much. Probably could have if I had 20 lbs more

Ah, I remember now. You have that clever pivot for the solar panel. How do you get the boat to IJsselmeer lake if you don't trailer it? Lochs?

Great boat, great video.

There are 4 locks to get out of the "IJsselmeer": see red arrows: two in the north which open up to the "Waddenzee" and two in the south, on the "Noordzeekanaal" and very nice through Amsterdam.

IMG_0152.PNG

BKBpKOQ.jpg

Well at least he didn't say it was a nice Hunter. ;)

Ok, I'll play. It is always hard to get pictures of your boat sailing. That's why I'm getting a drone. A couple of these aren't bad, taken by others.

On the Bras d'Or, Nova Scotia 2010:

AnomalySmall.jpg

On the Connecticut river 2011, trying to keep the spinnaker full for the picture in about 3 knots true:

Anomaly.jpg

On Puget Sound (I think Alex took this one? or maybe Steve?) 2015:

PugetSound_zps8wcy4r2g.jpg

Lake Ontario drifting conditions, 2009 "as if it were a painted ship, upon a painted ocean":

PaintedShip_zpscknz72ea.jpg

Anomaly is a perfect case for a custom boat. So...tired of her yet? :D

Are you saying the T-Bird was some sort of ancestor of the Mac 26? :angry:

God no! I believe in evolution, not devolution!

post-23834-0-33193700-1481581460_thumb.jpg

Heading back to the barn after a first in "Race your house 2016".

Photo by Mark Aberle

post-23834-0-05821800-1481588222_thumb.jpg

Leaving on the Baja HaHa 2013.

post-23834-0-88919000-1481588250_thumb.jpg

Racing Sailfest in Zihuatanejo

post-23834-0-54301700-1481588318_thumb.jpg

Motoring in light air back up to Puerto Vallarta

Appa is a 1991 Wauquiez Centurion 42

I can't seem to find any regatta shots of our boat sailing, but here's one of us sailing it. That's the look of the skipper realizing that the pole fell off the deck into the water and we have to go back for it...

(Edit: found one)

13501963_10205468538627959_112463299178915440543_10206638846484924_7371421474125

BKBpKOQ.jpg

Perish the thought.

I forgot to credit SA'er Satori for the nice shot.

So on a smaller scale, I bought a Victoria class RC yacht at Goodwill a few years ago. I finally got it tricked out and sailing a couple weeks ago.

attachicon.gif20161129_133950_resized(1).jpg

Victoria's are platic 31 inch yachts. There is a fairly active association and lots of go fast ideas online.

attachicon.gif20161122_173725_resized(1).jpg

So a friend came forward and said that she had two more Victorias and a Northwind 36 also still in the box. So now the kitchen shipyard is working overtime.

attachicon.gif20161129_133950_resized(1).jpg

Careful there Great White, it's a slippery slope. I started with one of those and ended up scratch building a International One Meter a few years later. Then I realized it was more fun to have a boat I could sit on.

post-125167-0-71125600-1481610520_thumb.jpg

And to stay on topic. Sailing (in dead calm).

post-125167-0-31688700-1481610532_thumb.jpg

So on a smaller scale, I bought a Victoria class RC yacht at Goodwill a few years ago. I finally got it tricked out and sailing a couple weeks ago.attachicon.gif20161129_133950_resized(1).jpg

Victoria's are platic 31 inch yachts. There is a fairly active association and lots of go fast ideas online.attachicon.gif20161122_173725_resized(1).jpg

So a friend came forward and said that she had two more Victorias and a Northwind 36 also still in the box. So now the kitchen shipyard is working overtime.attachicon.gif20161129_133950_resized(1).jpg

Careful there Great White, it's a slippery slope. I started with one of those and ended up scratch building a International One Meter a few years later. Then I realized it was more fun to have a boat I could sit on.

attachicon.gifIMG_20150614_210838.jpg

And to stay on topic. Sailing (in dead calm).

attachicon.gifIMG_20150615_210431.jpg

Oh, I know how this kind of activity can expand into something bigger. But the three boats were a great deal and gives me some projects to work on. My elderly dad is more excited than I am. I show him pictures of what I have done. He wants me to show them at his retirement home and wants to go down to the marina with me next time I sail one. There is a group that race the Victorias in Seattle a couple times a month. I may go there someday.

And I still have my J35 to sail too.

SySunday- Thanks for the explanation. Yes, I imagine the canal through Amsterdam must be very scenic!

I've only had my current boat since April, so I've got no pictures to show. :( You guys have some beautiful boats.

Thursday night racing

Is that a CS 34?

Good Eye - Yes it is. 1991.

--Kevin

My bud in San Francisco has a 1991 or a 92. He loves the hell out of that boat. I enjoyed sailing on it. Pretty damn quick.

When we were in Mexico, we saw another CS 34 in the Sea of Cortez. Moonshine or moonbeam. Moon something.

It sails great. Really is a perfect racer-cruiser. We sailed it to Maine from CT and cruised for 12 days up there (16 total) and we have won races with it. Sails upwind just great and downwind with a chute is very solid and mild-mannered even in a breeze. Has a separate stand-up/sit shower in the head. I'm 6'2 and fit just fine in the bunks and shower. We got it from the PO in 2006 from lake St Clair near Detroit.

--Kevin

But I'm always fond of the racing programs/boats I have gotten involved with. They are like family to me. This was for almost 10 years and we got a cover too!

post-1185-0-63467200-1481656957_thumb.jpg

It sails great. Really is a perfect racer-cruiser. We sailed it to Maine from CT and cruised for 12 days up there (16 total) and we have won races with it. Sails upwind just great and downwind with a chute is very solid and mild-mannered even in a breeze. Has a separate stand-up/sit shower in the head. I'm 6'2 and fit just fine in the bunks and shower. We got it from the PO in 2006 from lake St Clair near Detroit.

--Kevin

A buddy of mine has one. It's a lovely boat and, as usual for the CSs construction quality is very good as well.

But I'm always fond of the racing programs/boats I have gotten involved with. They are like family to me. This was for almost 10 years and we got a cover too!

attachicon.gifOR.SAILMG.CVR.SML.jpg

Which, of course, is the boat that I am currently sailing on.

http://www.vanisle360.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Occams-2-742x557.jpg

Occams-2-742x557.jpg

attachicon.gifOR.SAILMG.CVR.SML.jpg

Which, of course, is the boat that I am currently sailing on.

http://www.vanisle360.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Occams-2-742x557.jpg

Occams-2-742x557.jpg

Yup. A lot of great memories.

Currently boat-less since moving to SOCAL in 2014. Prior 4 boats were:

Perception Beneteau First 30E

Perception, 1984 Beneteau First 30E. Mrs. Crash's boat when we go married (2000-2003)

Liberty J/109

Liberty, 2003 J/109 that we bought not long after getting married (2003-2006

Melonseed

2005? Crawford Melonseed - Mrs. Crash's little boat (2005-2009)

Orion S2 9.1

Orion, 1984 S2 9.1 (2010-2014)

Don't have too many of her actually sailing, though we have a fair number at anchor in cool places. Will may have more of those than me. Most of our under sail pics are from the boat.

Part of it I think is where we sail...we're never really locals anywhere, so people don't often give us pics they took of the boat.

BVI's, just after Christmas 2012 sailing from the East end of Jost Van Dyke back to the USVIs.

BVIs up to New Year 012-001.JPG

Anchored in Les Saintes, Guadeloupe, 2013

IMG_2425.JPG

Off Moorea, watching whales, Sept 2014.

DSCF0144.JPG

Entering the pass at Rangiroa, 2014. Though not technically under sail at that point, either...

IMG_7205.JPG

One more set, not sailing, but necessary because of the number of anarchist boats in the picture.

Dutch Harbor, Jamestown, RI the weekend before we slipped our lines and went cruising in 2012. That was the first time I'd ever used that rode and anchor to hold that raft.

IMG_0134.JPG

IMG_0131.JPG

IMG_0127.JPG

That Hinckley looks familiar.

The big anchor performed admirably.

Yes, indeed. We've slept very comfortably on that anchor since we tested it so thoroughly.

BKBpKOQ.jpg

Perish the thought.

Of course i recognized the classic C&C sheer, etc. Merely jealous.

BKBpKOQ.jpg

Perish the thought.

Of course i recognized the classic C&C sheer, etc. Merely jealous.

The J35 can be found in the 3rd post at the beginning of this thread.

Wednesday night racing is usually a light air event. We enjoy the sunsets too.

post-2532-0-41383300-1481680871_thumb.jpg

Here's quite a nice photo from a few years back - us with a full house

AV6A1767-1024x683.jpg

And here's our bowspritendswoman

AV6A1895-683x1024.jpg

And I like this one even though the horizon's pissed and the set of the topsail's somewhat sub-optimal

DSCF1327-2-856x1024.jpg

Wow, that's a gorgeous boat.

Yup, she's lovely. A genuine fake - built in the late 90s. She's our big baby - adopted us five years ago now. A fair amount of work to do over the winter, but I'll get there somehow.

E

Most of her story is in the link below.

She's been an unlucky boat so far - The man who built her got dead and the man who refitted her got bust. We've had her for five good years so far, so I think we may be her most extended active owners, though we don't get enough time to use her. The more you use a boat, the cheaper they get!

http://www.bettyalan.com/the-boat/

Most of her story is in the link below.

She's been an unlucky boat so far - The man who built her got dead and the man who refitted her got bust. We've had her for five good years so far, so I think we may be her most extended active owners, though we don't get enough time to use her. The more you use a boat, the cheaper they get!

http://www.bettyalan.com/the-boat/

Yeesh, may you have better luck, and health!

I think your Bobstay could lift every other boat in this thread Mr Ed! What does she weigh?

The boat seems to be about 17.5 tons - design weight was about 16.5 I think.

Do you think I should change the bobstay to a wire one? I have it off now, and it is amazingly heavy chain. Looks kind of cool of course . . .

And, 'third time's a charm', applies here.

Ed, no reason you can't get rid of the chain, if you have plans for the boat it should give you a spec. Although chain looks salty and strong on a traditional boat it doesn't really work that well used in conduction with modern rigging. Lots of stretch and really no more forgiving to impact than 1x19. I think there are a couple threads on it at Brion Tossers forum.

Beautiful boat!!

Certainly get rid of that chain and go to wire. That's a lot of weight right where you don;t want it.

That's a fabulous looking boat and it would look even better with a wire bobstay.

plans built cat dinghy sailing the wild green belt and a sharp call for luffing rights approaching tree comittee

used NACA section 21033.56 for the centreboard.

A painful 6 mos to build.

post-43988-0-02540700-1481731310_thumb.jpg

Ditched the 36.7, looking again for a big boat. So for now the little 260 gets top billing.

IMG_4707-crop_zpsvzbiddhh.jpg

20161106_143623-crop_zpsaghhlxoq.jpg

plans built cat dinghy sailing the wild green belt and a sharp call for luffing rights approaching tree comittee

The crew seems to be enjoying the sail but safety first, where are the life jackets?

Ditched the 36.7, looking again for a big boat. So for now the little 260 gets top billing.

I like all those Bene's from 20 to 26. Nice pic.

The crew seems to be enjoying the sail but safety first, where are the life jackets?

A grass stain can be life threatening.

post-43988-0-02540700-1481731310.jpg

gallery_235_1317_53348.jpg

One of my Favorites from the first 1-3 years I owned her, based on the spin, just throwing up the genny about 100 yds from mark 5 on CC... We get double digits out some wed nights, so not so bad, I think I can see my roof in the background and that is an SA burgee on the backstay as well... Good Times... ;)

PS.

Get a boat and come to Nationals on Dillon, Aug 2017.. They know how to throw a regatta.. First, best and highest sailing venue west of the Mississippi. Come join the fun. :D

PM for details..

At the start of the 2016 Convoy Cup race

post-25282-0-43573100-1481752267_thumb.jpg

Secret Plans tucked away in Rogue's Roost

post-25282-0-43219100-1481752285_thumb.jpg

I like all those Bene's from 20 to 26. Nice pic.

Thx. I agree a pretty boat, as is that whole First 'sprit' series drawn by Finot. And the 260 is faster downwind than

the 36.7 when the breeze is up. I'll never buy another non-planing boat. Even a cruiser. Ever.

gallery_235_1317_53348.jpg

One of my Favorites from the first 1-3 years I owned her, based on the spin, just throwing up the genny about 100 yds from mark 5 on CC... We get double digits out some wed nights, so not so bad, I think I can see my roof in the background and that is an SA burgee on the backstay as well... Good Times... ;)

PS.

Get a boat and come to Nationals on Dillon, Aug 2017.. They know how to throw a regatta.. First, best and highest sailing venue west of the Mississippi. Come join the fun. :D

PM for details..

Tuna!