Black Jack

Show your boat sailing thread

31 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

1962 drifter?

That Egyptian cotton is some good stuff.

Or is it linen?

Polyester was created in the 30's, Dupont came out with Dacron® sailcloth in the 50's.

On 12/18/2019 at 6:46 PM, Orion Jim said:

3271E89E-5F4C-4EBB-A7A8-5C83FC940B0E.thumb.jpeg.c19a9321efd944dabe7617ea297c3c97.jpeg

This was taken by a friend on September 9th. I never get photos of myself under sail since I singlehand almost exclusively.  This is on Fishers Island Sound on one of those days where the wind was quite variable at 16 to 29 knots. I finally put a reef in the main and reefed the staysail or yankee as required. 

Tell us about the boomed staysail set up. Please...

4 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Polyester was created in the 30's, Dupont came out with Dacron® sailcloth in the 50's.

I actually knew that Ish. ;)

Specifically, it was nylon in the 30's and polyester in the 40's.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

I actually knew that Ish. ;)

Specifically, it was nylon in the 30's and polyester in the 40's.

In 1929 Wallace Carothers, a researcher at DuPont, published an article describing his creation of polyester. DuPont obtained patents on this early form of polyester in 1931. Facing problems with this material, DuPont did not begin commercialization of it at that time, choosing instead to concentrate on the development of nylon. In the 1940s English researchers at Imperial Chemical Industries (ICI) developed the first practical version of polyester. It was made by combining ethylene glycol and terephthalic acid into polyethylene terephthalate (PET). DuPont bought the rights to PET in 1945 and began commercial production of Dacron polyester in 1953.

https://fashion-history.lovetoknow.com/fabrics-fibers/polyester

5 hours ago, Anomaly2 said:

Tell us about the boomed staysail set up. Please...

This is a picture of me in Bermuda last May which may provide a clear illustration of the furling staysail boom. It came from the factory rigged in this fashion, all I did was add roller furling which necessitates running the clew outhaul back to the cockpit coaming where my furling line is cleated. It’s a simple setup which keeps me off the foredeck. I’ve been caught clawing the staysail down to drop it in high winds when the bow went down into a wave trough and I was left four feet in the air. I’m too old for that stuff so roller furling on the staysail was a no brainer. 

FDA47129-B0CA-4100-974C-948D83CFA879.jpeg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Orion Jim said:

This is a picture of me in Bermuda last May which may provide a clear illustration of the furling staysail boom. It came from the factory rigged in this fashion, all I did was add roller furling which necessitates running the clew outhaul back to the cockpit coaming where my furling line is cleated. It’s a simple setup which keeps me off the foredeck. I’ve been caught clawing the staysail down to drop it in high winds when the bow went down into a wave trough and I was left four feet in the air. I’m too old for that stuff so roller furling on the staysail was a no brainer. 

Thanks! I can't quite make out the sheeting arrangement in the newest photo-- is it self-tacking?

3 hours ago, Anomaly2 said:

Thanks! I can't quite make out the sheeting arrangement in the newest photo-- is it self-tacking?

Yes, there is a track just forward of the mast. The sheeting arrangement is original. It is led to a winch on the deckhouse as is the mainsheet. You can see it clearly in this photo. 21790F25-541A-4114-8BC3-9173EE29C8AF.thumb.jpeg.b0fccc0fb1ccafb71ae7978eb39a2d8b.jpeg

Was leftover from the shroud they wrapped Nelson in after he died at Trafalgar.

On 1/7/2020 at 2:11 PM, SloopJonB said:

1962 drifter?

That Egyptian cotton is some good stuff.

Or is it linen?

Nylon I think, note the classic miter cut, didn't have the classic brown thread of the heavier dacron sails. 

5 hours ago, Telesail said:

Racing in Antigua...

B3C51735-3C74-467E-A47A-C449F7F27165.jpeg

0BD25ED6-2DCA-4EB2-8788-349B31C897C4.jpeg

That looks like much of the world reserves of carbon tied up in that boat.

11 hours ago, Ishmael said:

That looks like much of the world reserves of carbon tied up in that boat.

At least if it sinks, that carbon will be sequestered and not contributing to greenhouse gas.

• Like 1

On 1/7/2020 at 11:21 PM, Orion Jim said:

Anyone with that pretty of a boat ought to have at least 2000 posts (and full Anarchist Status) awarded  just on account.  

• Like 2

Better blow that forward ballast tank!

• Like 2

Big wave! Didn’t even spill my coffee just sliced right threw. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OSPREY said:

Big wave! Didn’t even spill my coffee just sliced right threw. 

Shouldn't that picture go in "Unbalanced Sail Plan Anarchy"?

Kidding, kidding.... where is that?  I think of the NC coast as pretty flat, but I'm pretty ignorant.  

12 hours ago, socalrider said:

Shouldn't that picture go in "Unbalanced Sail Plan Anarchy"?

Kidding, kidding.... where is that?  I think of the NC coast as pretty flat, but I'm pretty ignorant.  

The mountainous coast along Shackleford Banks... home of very nice highlands coffee... -_-

You're right, the coast of NC is so flat that it puts Kansas and pancakes to shame.

FB- Doug

Nice looking ride.  What is it?

Got out and did some sailing on our Corsair C36 this weekend.  Forecast said 8-10 diminishing.  And so it was as we headed out the river.  Feet up.  Chilling with auto driving.  We don't need no stinking foulies.

Put up the chute and away we went running north up the Bay.  Few gybes.  Ho Hum.  It was all too easy.  But wait; there are hints.  The plotter says you are doing 9s and 10s SOG going deep downwind.  Even hidden behind the jib for the douse there seems to be a bit more tension on the spin-sheet than I recall from prior douses.  Hmmm.

Chute down we turned upwind for home.  Auto driving in upwind foot mode. Me working to get the trav up and the mainsheet ground in before I poked my head out from behind the dodger to see jib trim and... WTF!?  Spray everywhere.  Something like 30 knots apparent over the deck.  The boat is doing 11s and 12s upwind.  Whitecaps are everywhere.  Its blowing 20.  How did I miss that?!  Fully powered up are we.  Needing more jib halyard tension are we.  Needing more forestay or shroud tension are we.  We were still working the boat up slowly from the lighting strike refit and I didn't plan to subject either the structure or the rig to this.  But here we are.

It all ended well.  Nothing broke. All systems performed flawlessly.  My jeans from the knee down were soaked though. 

IMG_1.jpg

IMG_2.jpg

IMG_3.jpg

• Like 1

Very nice!  You've been waiting (and working) a long time for this!

(A bit envious, I am)

34 minutes ago, Veeger said:

Very nice!  You've been waiting (and working) a long time for this!

(A bit envious, I am)

You know you have a ride whenever you want it.  And we did splash back in September and even did some overnight cruising.  But to date - since the lighting refit the boat had not been sailing in more than puffs of ~15.  For sure never anything sustained over 15.  I would have put a reef in if planning to sail in 20-25 just to be prudent and to continue to work the boat, rig and systems back up slowly.  Put sometimes the best laid prudent plans...

LOL what really surprised me was sailing in pinch mode (about equal to 80 degree tacking angle) I was still doing easy 7s upwind in that mess.  And none of the pounding I would get in the F27.  But damn; the loads.  Was a good reminder that 36 feet its freaking big and with the bowsprit adding another 9 feet or so the chute is G'damn ginormous.  Very surprised we got it down with zero drama.

Just 'a little bit bigger' does indeed result in a 'lot of increase' in loads.  Can't imagine even the Rapido 40 or 60!  I think you're in a sweet spot with this boat though!

The beauty of a fast boat is that even when sailed poorly, umm, I mean 'less than optimally', they still scoot!

On 2/2/2020 at 4:37 AM, py26129 said:

Nice looking ride.  What is it?

It’s a 1986 Dehler Optima 101. Very similar to the Dehler Dbs and Dehler 34. 

Looking out over the steely gray ocean these days; a monochrome picture as far as the eye can see, it's hard to believe there can be so much color sailing along our coast. 

1296226163_Croppedgradientfilter1600.thumb.jpg.55825b3fd02881124b6d4fd90cdd7ab2.jpg

• Like 2

@Kris Cringle It's iron gray here as well. I'm sure we're trapped in the same weather system.

I pray that this isn't the prevailing pattern for spring.

Most of the groundhogs predicted an early spring.

43 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Most of the groundhogs predicted an early spring.

That doesn't mean it won't be wet and gray.

Sorry, I'm still gun-shy from 2018 when we had nearly 6 feet of rain. 43% of the weekends of the entire year were washouts. 58% of the weekends had rain on Saturday or Sunday.

17 minutes ago, Ajax said:

That doesn't mean it won't be wet and gray.

Sorry, I'm still gun-shy from 2018 when we had nearly 6 feet of rain. 43% of the weekends of the entire year were washouts. 58% of the weekends had rain on Saturday or Sunday.

Let it rain all it wants now.   Just have it stop around mid March when my boat prep starts.

• Like 1

Escape from Ajaccio during December, within the least shitty weather window. Could not film when it got really interesting, we needed all four hands.

And yes, the main looks like it has been trimmed by a disrespectful pig. Tack hoist had too much spare.

Last week. Beagle Channel, Cambaceres Bay on bow.

IMG_1369.JPG

• Like 2

1 hour ago, plenamar said:

Last week. Beagle Channel, Cambaceres Bay on bow.

IMG_1369.JPG

I know it's summer down there, but I imagine it's pretty chilly. Beautiful!

Did you sail from Buenos Aires?

On 1/8/2020 at 12:21 AM, Orion Jim said:

Robinhood or Cape Dory? I've been wondering since Direktor took over Robinhood Marine if they were gonna still build that boat?

On 2/16/2020 at 6:34 PM, Willin' said:

Robinhood or Cape Dory? I've been wondering since Direktor took over Robinhood Marine if they were gonna still build that boat?

Cape Dory. Put on your reading spectacles and you will see a "CD" at the aft end of the cove stripe.

B.C. (Progressive progressive lense wearer since 1905)

• Like 2

On 2/16/2020 at 6:32 PM, Bull City said:

I know it's summer down there, but I imagine it's pretty chilly. Beautiful!

Did you sail from Buenos Aires?

Yep, left BA Jan 3 arrived Ushuaia Jan 31. Several stops. Chilly, not cold. Fall-type weather in DC or NY. Wonderfull trip. Photo: crossing Magellan Strait (spelling?)

IMG_1366.JPG

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ChrisJD said:

The upside-down photo from the bottom of the world is a nice touch.

I was thinking the same thing.

21 hours ago, Bryanjb said:

Off NJ coastline

IMG_2933.JPG

When, where exactly? I know most do t but I love that coast and all the back bays and shore towns. We hope to cruise there this summer.

8.jpg.0ceeafa221d020a71a7299b84fb3dd1e.jpg

IB driving my boat shortly after the start of last years Marion-Bermuda. 

• Like 2

Last year in SC. Still more upgrades done but no pics of sailing with them yet.

IMG_3281.jpg

• Like 1

Just outside of San Carlos, Sonora, MX, about a year ago.

2085176687_AOallsails1.thumb.jpg.556ac5d395b847416cbf6572ead87196.jpg

Should have had that entire genoa out, but I'm ascared.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, justsomeguy! said:

Just outside of San Carlos, Sonora, MX, about a year ago.

2085176687_AOallsails1.thumb.jpg.556ac5d395b847416cbf6572ead87196.jpg

Should have had that entire genoa out, but I'm ascared.

It was pretty breezy on the water when we were there. Lotsa whitecaps.

1 hour ago, Midfleet said:

IMG_3281.jpg

T-37? 

10 hours ago, Midfleet said:

IMG_3281.jpg

Yay! Go, the Tartan!  What model is it?  The hull looks like a 33 but you have a masthead rig and the spreaders are not swept back. If it was a 33R or I think you'd have double-spreaders.

On 2/19/2020 at 6:15 AM, Wess said:

When, where exactly? I know most do t but I love that coast and all the back bays and shore towns. We hope to cruise there this summer.

The photo is a day sail from Sandy Hook Bay to Cape Henlopen.  No stops, there is really no where on the NJ coast we fit.  One day when we've gone to the dark side, power boat, we'll spend some time there. It looks like a great area to cruise.

Just pulled up the track info: September 24, 2019. 130 miles, top speed 15.1 knots, average speed, 8 knots anchor up to anchor down.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Ajax said:

Yay! Go, the Tartan!  What model is it?  The hull looks like a 33 but you have a masthead rig and the spreaders are not swept back. If it was a 33R or I think you'd have double-spreaders.

Tartan 37. Hull 369. It's been a great boat!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bryanjb said:

The photo is a day sail from Sandy Hook Bay to Cape Henlopen.  No stops, there is really no where on the NJ coast we fit.  One day when we've gone to the dark side, power boat, we'll spend some time there. It looks like a great area to cruise.

You pull into Lewes or drop a hook behind the Cape?  Wife and I are LOLing because we just took a road trip to Lewes this weekend to check it out as a possible stop for a cruise but we must be Jerzy boyz and girlz because we both voted it down and prefer Cape May as a stop over.

We dropped the hook just inside the break wall of Cape Henlopen, not a lot of water there. The next day we caught the tide and progressed to an anchorage in the northern Chesapeake.  That's another area we want to explore but not with a boat that draws 9'.  The northern Chesapeake is beautiful.

Currently sailing where the showers are brief and warm.  Photo of Caribbean foul weather gear.

IMG_20200215_181829.jpg

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ishmael said:

It was pretty breezy on the water when we were there. Lotsa whitecaps.

Sorry I missed you.

1 hour ago, justsomeguy! said:

Sorry I missed you.

I'm sorry I missed myself and you really didn't want to meet me then. Came down with something nasty in the cough department, ended up close to pneumonia, Mexican doctor got me dosing on antibiotics and a few other things. I gave it to everyone else but I was the worst. My wife just got antibiotics two days ago for her version of it. I'm still coughing and that's coming up to a month.

1 hour ago, Ishmael said:

I'm sorry I missed myself and you really didn't want to meet me then. Came down with something nasty in the cough department, ended up close to pneumonia, Mexican doctor got me dosing on antibiotics and a few other things. I gave it to everyone else but I was the worst. My wife just got antibiotics two days ago for her version of it. I'm still coughing and that's coming up to a month.

Ah, international disease. Hope you're on the mend.

I recently experienced an intercontinental cold. ;)

6 minutes ago, justsomeguy! said:

Ah, international disease. Hope you're on the mend.

I recently experienced an intercontinental cold. ;)

Flying does it to me, for some reason. I think I have ended up with pneumonia at least three times after flying.

17 minutes ago, Irrational 14 said:

Beating out Angel's Gate - Los Angeles, Jan 25th, 2020.

Columbia 32.jpg

Quite a backdrop.

Only 5 weeks before sailing season starts!

Here is a 57 second clip from last season.

6 hours ago, slap said:

Only 5 weeks before sailing season starts!

Here is a 57 second clip from last season.

Sailing season never ended

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Woxbox said:

Terrapin on the Chesapeake last fall

Terrapin-SA2.jpg

Wow, that is a fantastic photo.  Suitable for framing.  Where exactly is that and who took / how was the photo taken?

16 hours ago, Woxbox said:

Terrapin-SA2.jpg

Looks like you've got a butt load of rudder in to keep her going straight...or is that due to wave action, etc, and only a transient input?

Combination of the two, actually. That was my first outing in conditions like that. The boat has a shoal draft rudder with an endplate. I've since moved the sail 6 inches forward against the mast and discovered that trimming up the twin bilgeboards up halfway in these conditions balances the helm far bettter. 

No, not a Chebacco, a Chesapeake LIght Craft "Autumn Leaves."

• Like 3

Hi Wess. The shot was taken on the Miles River at last year's Mid-Atlantic Small Craft Festival in October. The photo was taken by John Harris, who designed the boat. We were engaged in an impromptu race back to St. Michael's after the annual overnight at Wye Island. John was sailing his Pocketship. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Woxbox said:

Hi Wess. The shot was taken on the Miles River at last year's Mid-Atlantic Small Craft Festival in October. The photo was taken by John Harris, who designed the boat. We were engaged in an impromptu race back to St. Michael's after the annual overnight at Wye Island. John was sailing his Pocketship. 

Ah so that is Bennett Point lighthouse off your bow and there is a gybe in your future (well past now LOL). Looks like a great day!

Taken from Brilliant during last summer's Camden-Brooklin feeder race. 

1852120022_Restiveonthemove.thumb.JPG.682a57b816a51cc3e937c5bf782154c2.JPG

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Cruisin Loser said:

Taken from Brilliant during last summer's Camden-Brooklin feeder race. 

1852120022_Restiveonthemove.thumb.JPG.682a57b816a51cc3e937c5bf782154c2.JPG

Nice shot!

On 2/25/2020 at 4:52 PM, Woxbox said:

Terrapin-SA2.jpg

Fantastic!  Will you be back this way in 2020 before the next Small Craft Festival? Where do you typically put in?

On January 10, 2020 at 8:33 AM, OSPREY said:

F72DC54F-97FA-4300-A5C0-3391961C516B.jpeg

Where? Lovely coast.

6 hours ago, Ajax said:

Fantastic!  Will you be back this way in 2020 before the next Small Craft Festival? Where do you typically put in?

I'm looking at CLC's new "Big Small Boat Festival" at the end of May. And I'll be back for MASCF again. I don't have a routine launch spot. I just get permits for the county ramps or use a marina. Depends where I want to sail.  What do you sail?

I don't think I posted this. Refer main only rocking home on a clearing breeze. 

FB_IMG_1583193467926.jpg

• Like 2

Woe is me!

Please allow me this moment of self-pity. I hauled TONIC on January 14, just before Mrs. Bull and my Florida sojourn. The bottom had a few little blisters, more like pimples, and the boatyard guys have been working on them and getting things ready for bottom paint. We have had a very wet winter, praise God, but work has been slow. So here I am in the Sun Belt, and we're going on 2 months on the hard. I'm having symptoms! I don't know how you New England guys can stand it! But then the winter weather really stinks up there, and you must have other diversions.

4 hours ago, Bull City said:

Woe is me!

Please allow me this moment of self-pity. I hauled TONIC on January 14, just before Mrs. Bull and my Florida sojourn. The bottom had a few little blisters, more like pimples, and the boatyard guys have been working on them and getting things ready for bottom paint. We have had a very wet winter, praise God, but work has been slow. So here I am in the Sun Belt, and we're going on 2 months on the hard. I'm having symptoms! I don't know how you New England guys can stand it! But then the winter weather really stinks up there, and you must have other diversions.

They drink a lot.

7 hours ago, Ishmael said:

They drink a lot.

FIFY...

They ski and drink alot LOL

On 3/3/2020 at 5:19 AM, Wess said:

FIFY...

They ski and drink alot LOL

The ski and drink and enjoy the dark side aboard their snow machines...  (hmm, I DID enjoy those things once upon a time)

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Veeger said:

The ski and drink and enjoy the dark side aboard their snow machines...  (hmm, I DID enjoy those things once upon a time)

What?? You in da PERFECT place. Ski in morning, horses at noon, afternoon sail and an evening SCUBA.  I hate you LOL!

17 hours ago, Wess said:

What?? You in da PERFECT place. Ski in morning, horses at noon, afternoon sail and an evening SCUBA.  I hate you LOL!

It's been 40 years since I've skied! Nope, not gonna try it now.  Scuba? Sheesh, sometimes the hot tub feels a mite coolish.  Despite having 3 horse stalls and a pasture on the new 'estate' , nope, no way, no how! It's been 50 years since I shoveled horse shit and I see no reason to return to THAT, or the allergies!

Sailing is the life for me....!  Heave away, boyz, heave away...!