Black Jack

Show your boat sailing thread

3 hours ago, Ajax said:

They're supposed to be the up-and-coming source of protein for a swelling global population.

I hope I'm dead by then.

Don't bury yourself yet. The plan was based on the assumption that they would come in abundance in the future. But thanks to polution and pesticid abuse, their rapidly declining population in the world will probably shift agro industrial attention elsewhere, hopefully yummier. Lyophilised mammal foetuses, rodent teeth flour, whatever comes in sufficient amount.

On 8/7/2020 at 10:27 AM, chester said:

HB, love the way you went with the functional bimini, it looks good too...well done!

Thanks, @chester. I am limited by the mainsheet placement, but the upside is that it hangs over the companionway too a bit and keeps some sun out of the cabin! If I ever move the traveler forward like newer boats (which would clutter the cabin top up), I would slide it aft some. I probably won't do major changes like that. The mainsheet in the back is in almost the best spot with a tiller.

On 8/7/2020 at 8:07 AM, Ajax said:

I can attest that out of nearly 6500 Catalina 30's produced, this boat is one of the finest examples and an early hull number to boot. Meticulously restored and maintained.  I keep telling @Hike, Bitches! to send some photos to Catalina Yachts so that Frank Butler can see his legacy still sailing, being enjoyed so many years later.

LOL - thanks @AjaxMaybe I will email a pic to Frank. I am sure he is always getting pictures of broken shit and needing help fixing them.

Someone caught a candid of me out singlehanding yesterday on the first of a three day cruise during a particularly overpowered moment when already reefed.

Yes it is possible to cruise a J/105, even when you’re 6’6”! Yes, your back will hurt from crawling around the cabin!

4C3C368C-90DD-470A-B23A-F5C7A53210EF.thumb.jpeg.1aa7ba08daaa2b8858f1059602be2f96.jpeg

• Like 4

On 4/14/2020 at 5:22 PM, Cruisin Loser said:

On the Chessie on a calm day? Perhaps, but unlikely. Good judgement on the part of the skipper should suffice. You'd only be using it for light air, I'd think. If it's blowing, you should know better than to put it up.

some little Herreshoff style jumper struts might help, and be pretty  simple.

I run a masthead kite on a fractional rig, and have pushed that fucker hard, inshore as well as off.  Of course, I have a carbon mast, which just makes the cost of a screwup that much higher. 

I'm missing the crap out of sailing. 

Yanno Ajax, if you're not going to use that copy of Taft and Rindlaub, sometime you could come to Maine and use my copy, on Restive.

Fractional rig, masthead kite as well but also with a carbon rig. No jumpers. 26 years on it so far. 

F14CB207-24E8-46F2-BDFA-F27A60282A8F.thumb.jpeg.03bec0313a45c01b61a28c399f724de4.jpeg

10 hours ago, Alaris said:

Someone caught a candid of me out singlehanding yesterday on the first of a three day cruise during a particularly overpowered moment when already reefed.

Yes it is possible to cruise a J/105, even when you’re 6’6”! Yes, your back will hurt from crawling around the cabin!

4C3C368C-90DD-470A-B23A-F5C7A53210EF.thumb.jpeg.1aa7ba08daaa2b8858f1059602be2f96.jpeg

Being overpowered is not great for the rig, but let's admit that it's fun! And it makes for cool pics!

Here we are, slightly overpowered on a E4. Nothing bad, but we needed at least one reef in the solent and one more in the main to be adequate.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Alaris said:

You go, dude.

I worked a 16 hour day supporting a server migration and probably again, today.  Want to help me get out of classified gov't work and find a position that will let me tele-work? I can even afford a pay cut.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Ajax said:

You go, dude.

I worked a 16 hour day supporting a server migration and probably again, today.  Want to help me get out of classified gov't work and find a position that will let me tele-work? I can even afford a pay cut.

Well I took a 100% pay cut because of covid so be careful what you wish for. :D

• Like 2

1 hour ago, leuk said:

Being overpowered is not great for the rig, but let's admit that it's fun! And it makes for cool pics!

The boat has an extremely overbuilt Hall carbon rig (to our specs—in the early 90s we had no experience with carbon and were dubious of building too flexible a rig). Means a lot less adjustment can be made with the cap shrouds and backstay than modern boats but more peace of mind. 

That flappy leech would drive me bonkers!   Give the leech line a tug, pretty please.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Whinging Pom said:

That flappy leech would drive me bonkers!   Give the leech line a tug, pretty please.

Same here, but nothing we could really do about it. Those school boats are mistreated all year long. Sails are exhausted and distorted. Pro tip btw: never buy a used school boat. They're almost worst deals than charters.

• Like 1

I posted this on the Maine thread, so please forgive, but I think it's a great picture. Vortex to the left, Restive to the right, we had a great day racing on Penobscot Bay in the Castine - Camden wooden boat race.  Vortex is a cold molded Swede 55 built and owned by the president of Brooklin Boat Yard, which also built Restive to an Alden design. 

2132718719_VortexandRestive.thumb.jpg.caabcd4d2cf69612f68e8fbd7fbdd9f9.jpg

• Like 6

Posted (edited)

20 kts of breeze off of Marblehead last weekend. I knew there was a reason for the late nights.

/ edit: Nuts - do I need to upload to Youtube to embed video?

Edited by ChrisJD
Trying to figure out how to embed video.
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Cruisin Loser said:

I posted this on the Maine thread, so please forgive, but I think it's a great picture. Vortex to the left, Restive to the right, we had a great day racing on Penobscot Bay in the Castine - Camden wooden boat race.  Vortex is a cold molded Swede 55 built and owned by the president of Brooklin Boat Yard, which also built Restive to an Alden design. 

Gorgeous!  Out of curiosity, is it a race rule that you tow your dink racing?  We don't even put ours in the water except for the couple of weeks a year we're cruising, because of the half-knot or so it costs us towing it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cruisin Loser said:

If this isn’t an advertisement for Maine, Sailing, BBY, Swede, and Alden all rolled into one, I don’t know what it is. WHAT A SHOT

CL: I know you’ve posted about her many times, but is there a quick link to Restive’s plans and photos? I want to indulge my imagination.

• Like 1

Heading north on the Chesapeake in a lovely southerly that is cutting down this oppressive heat. I’m still hiding in the shade of the main as I write this, though. @Ajax will recognize the pennant on the bow...

EF84D3C8-4F69-46A3-9C8A-40DF29DBF40C.thumb.jpeg.3a70201af0a4285140628444b7c876dd.jpeg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ChrisJD said:

Gorgeous!  Out of curiosity, is it a race rule that you tow your dink racing?  We don't even put ours in the water except for the couple of weeks a year we're cruising, because of the half-knot or so it costs us towing it.

Yes, for Castine-Camden and Camden-Brooklin. Some boats have kind of abused it by towing what are, essentially, pool toys. For this series BBY loaned me a very nice, low drag, narrow, rowing skiff that could be perched on a stern wave with almost no drag. Some boats have custom carbon dinks. Some pull inflatables right up to the stern so the dink is 90% out of the water. 

The best VHF hail in 2019 was "Otter, Otter, put your dinghy in the water". 

Dinks are not required for ERR. 

It was very subdued compared to past years. There were no shore activities but the caterers took orders for BBQ you could have on your boat. The ribs, chicken and corn were actually quite great. 

3 hours ago, Alaris said:

If this isn’t an advertisement for Maine, Sailing, BBY, Swede, and Alden all rolled into one, I don’t know what it is. WHAT A SHOT

CL: I know you’ve posted about her many times, but is there a quick link to Restive’s plans and photos? I want to indulge my imagination.

I recently received a complete set of drawings from her original owner, who also included development drawings showing the design evolution. The bow went through several iterations until the desired balance and aesthetic was achieved.

http://restive-alden-48.blogspot.com/p/restive-adjective-1of-person-unable-to.html

http://aldendesigns.com/recent_designs/1250.html

https://www.jamesgblaine.me/rescue-at-sea-a-series

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Cruisin Loser said:

The best VHF hail in 2019 was "Otter, Otter, put your dinghy in the water". 

Much funnier when read in a DownEast accent!

• Like 1

My favorite VHF from recent memory was a call from an unnamed boat admonishing "[Name redacted], Salem harbor is a 5mph no wake zone," followed by about five seconds of silence, then a heavily-Boston-accented, anonymous reply, "Nobody likes a snitch."

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ChrisJD said:

...then a heavily-Quincy-accented, anonymous reply, "Nobody likes a snitch."

Amirite? ;)

• Like 1

On a hot day in light air this week, we were sailing through the Merchant Islands in eastern Penobscot bay. 

With just the Genoa and mizzen raised, our speed was easy on piloting between the rocks.

Buoys are gently pushed aside, a few scrape the bottom and pop out in our quiet wake.

I lost count of the Island passes we threaded our way through.

Sometimes, speed is the enemy.

BA9BF961-7371-4C72-8271-437126D2C36A.thumb.jpeg.93e554bb6a00d1a71291bf6d25c668e1.jpeg

There were many favorite anchorages along our meandering path but we decided on a new spot. 

After 30 seasons I’m still amazed that at the end of the day sailing the coast of Maine, there is always an uninhabited Island - or three, upon which to land and watch the sunset.

8CDBB263-BEBA-433F-98A1-DC7D764EB4F0.thumb.jpeg.b4b5bdebd1bdd56de0949e6e7ef289e7.jpeg

• Like 4

Got a good afternoon sail yesterday on the Chesapeake, 10-16 NE, cloudy and cooler finally.  Tuned the rig a bit with the new lowers.  Wife and son aboard, picnic lunch.

Got a lotta varnish to strip still.

VideoCapture_20200816-085927.jpg

• Like 4

Trip to the San Juans was great, but we had almost no wind except for the last couple miles of the return home.  

ni12MQZ.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Kris Cringle said:

After 30 seasons I’m still amazed that at the end of the day sailing the coast of Maine, there is always an uninhabited Island - or three, upon which to land and watch the sunset.

I am aching for this. It's exactly why I want to sail up there. I think I've settled on the month of July for the trip so I can be up there for the hottest part of summer. Hey, only 10.5 months to go!

• Like 2

The gaffer is the boat we lived aboard in the Bahamas in the 1960s

The Aphrodite we own now.

May2007.JPG

Thetis1961Eleuthera.jpg

• Like 4

On 8/6/2020 at 2:35 PM, MauiPunter said:

Can I have both?   :D

In the same vain, does anyone sail with a chicken aboard?  Fresh eggs would be great.

• Like 2

On August 16, 2020 at 5:53 AM, Kris Cringle said:

On a hot day in light air this week, we were sailing through the Merchant Islands in eastern Penobscot bay. 

With just the Genoa and mizzen raised, our speed was easy on piloting between the rocks.

Buoys are gently pushed aside, a few scrape the bottom and pop out in our quiet wake.

Merchants Row is frequently festooned with pots.

We've found that, if we're doing 7 knots or better under sail, we don't catch pots. Sometimes speed is your friend. Upwind or reaching we hit that in 9-10 kts true.

• Like 1

Been some nice SW'ers this Summer.

ACtC-3d20u7sOQguaXCA8WM6QI_TVaPAZyGn8Bud

• Like 3

Damn you.

I was out for a doublehanded day sail last Wednesday on a nice sunny Newport afternoon when a dockmate was cruising by Castle Hill returning from Marthas Vineyard.  They took this nice picture of us.

VentoSolare-Aug2020.jpeg

• Like 8

On 8/16/2020 at 5:53 AM, Kris Cringle said:

BA9BF961-7371-4C72-8271-437126D2C36A.thumb.jpeg.93e554bb6a00d1a71291bf6d25c668e1.jpeg

There were many favorite anchorages along our meandering path but we decided on a new spot. 

8CDBB263-BEBA-433F-98A1-DC7D764EB4F0.thumb.jpeg.b4b5bdebd1bdd56de0949e6e7ef289e7.jpeg

A truly beautiful area. We just got permission to land and walk around Merchants Island. The owners of Kimball Island gave us a trail map and invited us ashore when we were last at IAH.

• Like 2

On 8/10/2020 at 7:57 AM, PhilipNZ said:

Shaw 750T racing 2 up last weekend in 25/35. This was on the slide home after 25 mile beat into it

IMG_2819.jpeg

IMG_2820.jpeg

Once ur brain is in full toast mode, no reason to make it black like coal, 

• Like 1

My O’Day 34 on Narragansett Bay.

A41D9CA4-DE08-4968-9A22-06F683CF3C99.jpeg

• Like 3

Whooo, look at that rooster tail!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ajax said:

And to add a bit of colour, the crew were all newbies except for the chap driving, they were having the fattest time, their smiles makes me smile :).  

Edit; correction, that ones of the newbies driving, she's actually doing pretty good!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ajax said:

I assume that equates to drag?

1 hour ago, MauiPunter said:

I assume that equates to drag?

Party Pooper.

Just now, SloopJonB said:

Party Pooper.

You have to be hauling ass to experience that.  Drag or not, you are flying.

Reefed main, rooster tail, but very few whitecaps. Confusing. How hard was it blowing?

Momentary interaction of the quarter wave with the swells.

5 hours ago, IStream said:

Reefed main, rooster tail, but very few whitecaps. Confusing. How hard was it blowing?

It would have been less than 25 knots, I normally don't reef below that and  I'd tucked in the 1st reef a bit earlier than normal due to the green crew. From memory, the max boat speed that day was 14-15, so sadly not as impressive as it looks.  

2 hours ago, longy said:

Momentary interaction of the quarter wave with the swells.

Yep, I think we had opposing wind and tide as it was a little bit more swell than normal. Aside from aberrations from the swell I'd normally have hardly any wake when planing. The water off the transom goes from chattering to a low hiss and aside from the rudders starting their weird cadence song it gets eerily quiet. 

• Like 1

Pfft. Pretty damned impressive to me. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shaggybaxter said:

It would have been less than 25 knots, I normally don't reef below that and  I'd tucked in the 1st reef a bit earlier than normal due to the green crew. From memory, the max boat speed that day was 14-15, so sadly not as impressive as it looks.  

Yep, I think we had opposing wind and tide as it was a little bit more swell than normal. Aside from aberrations from the swell I'd normally have hardly any wake when planing. The water off the transom goes from chattering to a low hiss and aside from the rudders starting their weird cadence song it gets eerily quiet. 

One of the coolest cruiser-racers on earth.

• Like 1

On 8/11/2020 at 9:21 AM, Cruisin Loser said:

I love it wooden sailboat racing, towing a dingy is ok...

Although we never go that quick towing the dingy is pretty regular.

Hope to get to Castine someday had lots of cadets come through the ship from the school. Sounds like a amazing place.

On 8/18/2020 at 4:24 AM, NormanHMartin said:

The gaffer is the boat we lived aboard in the Bahamas in the 1960s

The Aphrodite we own now.

May2007.JPG

Thetis1961Eleuthera.jpg

Wow.  You lived aboard the Gaff rigged yawl in the 60's in the Bahamas?  Awesome sir.  Any book, blog or anything?  Love reading about the old times in old yachts, and I am sure you have some great stories to tell about that time of your life.....

Of course, also understand you may want to retain your privacy.  

Cheers.

Nice day on the Chesapeake yesterday.  78 degrees, 8-15 outta NW, sunny, low humidity.  Don't get much better.

VideoCapture_20200831-180631.jpg

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, bgytr said:

Nice day on the Chesapeake yesterday.  78 degrees, 8-15 outta NW, sunny, low humidity.  Don't get much better.

VideoCapture_20200831-180631.jpg

We got out as well.  Scooting along pretty good. 

• Like 3

Just now, bgytr said:

Tartan?

Yes

Tartan 38, which is to say a Tartan 37 hull with a tall rig and deep keel. 1977 S&S design. 

22 minutes ago, Sean said:

Yes

Tartan 38, which is to say a Tartan 37 hull with a tall rig and deep keel. 1977 S&S design. 

Ahh- so keel version of the centerboarder..

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bgytr said:

Ahh- so keel version of the centerboarder..

E80E0C10-F249-4192-A7E0-25E20BF2632D.jpeg

6 minutes ago, Sean said:

E80E0C10-F249-4192-A7E0-25E20BF2632D.jpeg

yep- very distinctive transom shape.  Looks good.

I love blue boats.

1 hour ago, bgytr said:

yep- very distinctive transom shape.  Looks good.

Thanks. I had just painted the topsides. 

I'm heading out for 9-10 days, commencing Friday night. Perhaps I'll finally get some photos to contribute to all these photo threads.

The first 4-5 days are supposed to be fab weather.

• Like 2

Have been getting plenty of short handed and solo sailing in this last 2 months. Managed to get my hands on a Monitor windvane which i am very excited to fit. Also, a new mast to cure my issue with the massive one i currently have

zKgTuQw.jpg

• Like 4

Just got back from a trip from Annapolis to Georgetown, MD by way of Gibson Island

4E961F58-C0BB-4759-A218-02C9E8E1A7D0.thumb.jpeg.1caf669ab31ffd51871f1902cd2bb1df.jpeg

47CBD5A9-E0B2-44B3-A982-8906EE5952CF.thumb.jpeg.ca3d5fbb230985acb0c460b50bef09f2.jpeg

0136C202-5DA7-4B7A-AD5B-610E6A66EFAB.thumb.jpeg.13daa7fc6170f279877e293c41059335.jpeg

5EF58494-62C5-4E38-89A1-C3BA5FBCEFBB.thumb.jpeg.464ec9f2544dbba6c0e7550ad54cbef5.jpegAA7811BE-3331-4BC9-B077-E10A2FC4CE63.thumb.jpeg.81052a8b6506cb20ef6df26002db9a00.jpeg

FA2153DE-739C-435E-8D1F-01289370A450.thumb.jpeg.074f04e14d14a166cb84a922114d6efa.jpeg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Ajax said:

I'm heading out for 9-10 days, commencing Friday night. Perhaps I'll finally get some photos to contribute to all these photo threads.

Where from/to?

4 minutes ago, bgytr said:

Where from/to?

Wherever the wind blows. Preferably south.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ajax said:

Wherever the wind blows. Preferably south.

Very good plan.. go where the wind gods say!

• Like 1

It sort of sails around. 

ship.JPG

7 hours ago, J-Underway said:

It sort of sails around. 

ship.JPG

ship.JPG.dbab37e35dba3f674bb0a2e492dda208.JPG

• Like 8

On 9/2/2020 at 7:08 AM, Ajax said:

Maybe I’ll see you out there. Won’t be heading out until Monday at the earliest though so maybe not. Although I do intend to go south since I just got back from the northern bay. Just need to get back to race to Oxford. 

• Like 1

On September 2, 2020 at 12:45 PM, bgytr said:

Where from/to?

Someone asked us that as we were untying the other day. 

The answer, of course, was "somewhere else." :rolleyes:

And that's where we are now. Somewhere else, about to go for a hike.

22 hours ago, WGWarburton said:

Out on the Clyde.

IMG-20200814-WA0032.jpg

Can you tell us a bit about what she is and her history?

31 minutes ago, Elegua said:

Can you tell us a bit about what she is and her history?

Sure- she's a 1979 Julian Everitt half-tonner design (Eliminator 32). built by Production Yachts in Glenrothes, Scotland. Julian Everitt also designed the E-boat which also was built there and elsewhere. Launched on the East coast (Royal Tay YC, I've been told) and campaigned in Scotland for a while before going to Northern Ireland in the 90s, then back to Scotland and was raced regularly from Port Edgar (underneath the Forth Bridges close to Edinburgh) until the owner had a fall and had to give up. I thought we were just buying an old boat but i keep meeting folk who remember her being raced, seems she's a tiny little bit of Scottish sailing history!

Sat on the hard for a while in PE marine until we bought her (cheaply) in 2016, since then we've caught up a bit on deferred maintenance with new standing rigging, some deckwork to reduce rainwater ingress & simplify the controls and some internal structural repairs.

We've not raced her (him? she's called Kermit, and always has been AFAICT) and I've put an old Facnor furler on with help from this board to ease handling when sailing short-handed.

There are a few of them still around- a couple in Ireland (Woofer, Eliminator), one ex-Whitby (Qantro) and one in the middle East (La Buse) but nowhere close to the 30+ that are claimed to have been made...

Cheers,

W.

Edited by WGWarburton
Added links.
  • Like 3

Our new to us 1986 Catalina 22 during our Memorial Day Race on Lake Winnebago, WI. 

I know they're a dime a dozen, but she's in fairly nice shape. New sails going on next spring!

50035649661_ea596227bb_o.jpg

• Like 10

1 minute ago, Sea_Squirrel said:

Our new to us 1986 Catalina 22 during our Memorial Day Race on Lake Winnebago, WI. 

I know they're a dime a dozen, but she's in fairly nice shape. New sails going on next spring!

Those smiles are all that matter.

...and yeah, C-22's are a dime a dozen but not in that condition. Yours is clean and ship-shape.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Sea_Squirrel said:

They are dime a dozen because there are lots of them. There are lots of them because they are darned good boats!

"It's just a boring old Toyota Camry. Never broke down on us, 350k on the clock." 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Ajax said:

Those smiles are all that matter.

...and yeah, C-22's are a dime a dozen but not in that condition. Yours is clean and ship-shape.

Thank you, Ajax. I'm really looking forward to digging into the restoration and updating the sail/rigging package. It'll be a great springboard when we're ready to upgrade to something a little more competitive for our little beer can Tuesday night PHRF fleet.

39 minutes ago, Diarmuid said:

They are dime a dozen because there are lots of them. There are lots of them because they are darned good boats!

"It's just a boring old Toyota Camry. Never broke down on us, 350k on the clock." 

They are great little boats - that was our gateway drug.  Be careful!  Honestly if we didn't have so many damned kids and sailed on a lake we'd still have her.  Unbeatable bang for the buck.  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, socalrider said:

They are great little boats - that was our gateway drug.  Be careful!  Honestly if we didn't have so many damned kids and sailed on a lake we'd still have her.  Unbeatable bang for the buck.  

Just looked up production numbers: over 15,000 built! That's amazing for a keelboat.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, socalrider said:

I initially didn't want her, but the more I sailed her the more we fell in love. I've been working on the boat the past 2 years with a friend, so I've had quite a long test drive. I doubt we'll keep it forever, but we'll see. I'm VERY happy with the stability and righting moment of 5' of keel when it's all the way down, and being able to raise the keel and rudder is great for Winnebago. 

42 minutes ago, Diarmuid said:

Just looked up production numbers: over 15,000 built! That's amazing for a keelboat.

It's a crazy amount! I would love to see our local club get a one design fleet going with them, we have 4 in the harbor at the moment but two are for sale.

Bad Attitude, 1974 Vic Carpenter 28, Still sailing and racing, taken during the 2020 Labour day regatta at Wiarton, Ontario, Canada

DSC08715.JPG

DSC09027.JPG

1 hour ago, Ed.M said:

Bad Attitude, 1974 Vic Carpenter 28, Still sailing and racing, taken during the 2020 Labour day regatta at Wiarton, Ontario, Canada

DSC08715.JPG

DSC09027.JPG

Cool hull- now about those spinnaker colors...  and numbers?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, bgytr said:

Cool hull- now about those spinnaker colors...  and numbers?

If you divide the spinnaker into the main, the result is 4.747883695252116. Coincidence?

9 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

If you divide the spinnaker into the main, the result is 4.747883695252116. Coincidence?

Yes the spinnaker, take a lot of flak over the color scheme, maybe Peacefrog can chip in, I think it came from a certain Sarnia loft, but not sure, came with the boat

Hey Y'all,  finally got a shot of us sailing our Crealock 37. We bought her last year off the Ohio River in Louisville. She's been in fresh water for maybe 30yrs. She's in great shape, and we got her for a steal! We trucked her over to the Chesapeake. While we had the masts down we completely rewired them and hung all new Hella brand LEDs, a new B and G anemometer and a VHF/AIS antenna. We also repainted the masts (one coat of primer, two coats of EZPoxy Petit) which came out beautiful, and a list of other sundry projects. She's a cutter rigged yawl with a tiller,.. or  as I was corrected on here once, a two head sail yawl with a tiller. I like the first way, what's the consensus on that?

No Cunningham on the mizzen yet, and only an upper luff down haul/tensioner/Cunningham on the main so the sail shape leaves a little to be desired, but ya... we're getting her there slowly for her second sea trial. She has a lot of mysteries about her as she was basically a boat condo for many years on Kentucky Lake, and then the owner we bought her from didn't know much about her either. Some bastardization on her for sure in regards to the standing rigging and the spars but the puzzle is working it's self out.

Peace ~ WindandCsAnarchy_Resize.thumb.png.91545b06e0e1940990d140e0ff95c4da.png

Edited by WindnCs
Wanted to add more to the post :)
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, WindnCs said:

She's a cutter rigged yawl with a tiller,.. or  as I was corrected on here once, a two head sail yawl with a tiller. I like the first way, what's the consensus on that?

There is no "consensus" on that, only right & wrong.

A cutter is a specific rig, as is a yawl - and ketch and sloop and schooner etc.

A cutter has a single mast with two headsails and a mast set well aft - almost amidships.

A yawl or other two masted rig with two headsails is called a double headsail yawl (or ketch or whatever).

Can you imagine a "cutter schooner"? :rolleyes:

• Like 1