Black Jack

Show your boat sailing thread

Trying out different sail combo's, we could have added a single tuck main to the group but we were being lazy.

https://youtu.be/-e8SMBTGwOQ

You REALLY build a lot of your own wind, don't you. Sexy as hell, I want to drive someday.

For some reason my puter won't let me reply with quotes so...

Try using Google Chrome. Internet Explorer won't let me use quote, Chrome is fine.

For some reason my puter won't let me reply with quotes so...

Try using Google Chrome. Internet Explorer won't let me use quote, Chrome is fine.

Ya, I gave up on Explorer quite some time ago. I use Chrome as my default browser - no issues that's I've seen.

Does a topsail schooner rigged Yamaha count?

72680006.jpg

Sure went to weather better than some other rigs I've owned.

Thanks for the recco, CL. I've been reluctant to let the evil empire into my shit. Guess I just sold my soul.

1956 H-28 ketch

72660008.jpg

72660005.jpg

72660023.jpg

72660025_zps12d3fa19.jpg

And finally, my best sailing picture ever, Mom and two younger bros on the H-28 for the first and only time ever I sailed with her. She's still kickin' it at 92, but isn't interested in sailing these days. I'm at her house now so it just felt natural to include her here.

72680007_zpscqvcla0w.jpg

IMG_4081_mhr_zpsfamonzwe.jpg

I left that up on my screen for 1/2 an hour just to look at!

Rob, looks like #78 sold. I'd love to know for what.

Our old Aphrodite 101, in honor of Paul Elvstrom. Snapped unbeknownst to us by one of our marina mates. Embarrassing trim, but such a great boat to sail. Now being restored by a new owner.

31090231963_3363ff3ddb_c.jpg

Being sailed by a couple of 11 year old girls, Mom and Dad supervising from the foredeck.

31059366434_20a38a6ca0_c.jpg

Our old Aphrodite 101, in honor of Paul Elvstrom. Snapped unbeknownst to us by one of our marina mates. Embarrassing trim, but such a great boat to sail. Now being restored by a new owner.

Being sailed by a couple of 11 year old girls, Mom and Dad supervising from the foredeck.

There is absolutely nothing embarassing about that boat. It's beautiful.

FB- Doug

82d17f_d4c428e8d25e44f29ca0412ecdf4a61b.8mR_Worlds_Falcon_31072013.jpg

My boat, Carpenter 28, photo is previous owner, 2011

attachicon.gifIMG_1187.jpg

Stuart sold this without telling me????

Yes, he did, happened quickly, I bought the boat and sailed her from Midland late October 2016.

FB- Doug

+1 I am also a fan of the Aphrodite.

Yesterday. Taken by one of the brave RC folks out there in a whaler in 35 knots.

15967398_1854859801392767_647379757_o.jp

Occam's Razor - the hottest boat in the city (and environs) for a very long time.

Yesterday. Taken by one of the brave RC folks out there in a whaler in 35 knots.

Very nice! Did you win?

The race was abandoned shortly after this picture due to another boat dropping their rig (and I suspect the RC had had enough of bobbing about in the slop). We kept on going and popped the chute for a bit

Occam's Razor - the hottest boat in the city (and environs) for a very long time.

Well, that's the simple explanation....

;)

Hmmm.....I was with the boat for almost 10 years from the previous management. Won everything that was there to win for a very long time.

post-1185-0-05720000-1484004232_thumb.jpg

As we used to say: Pretty boat; ugly crew!

Our man Sean Trews took that shot and just gave me the full file for not asking any monetary pay back. Good guy!

Yup, it was a full on snarly day. Easy mid 30's wind speed and probably up into the 40's in the puffs. It was trying to snow too. I was on the boat that lost it's rig. Big props to the crew getting it get it sorted very effectively and home with no one hurt.

I don't have one of our H-Boat yet, but here is our previous boat, a J22. We called her Redux, because she was our second J22. Really a sweet sailing boat.

post-54228-0-14295800-1484080812_thumb.jpg

Hmmmmmmm. So I looked for a picture under sail. All I have are pictures at anchor or mooring, underway from on the boat looking out, or.........in the yard. Wonder what that means.........

Hmmmmmmm. So I looked for a picture under sail. All I have are pictures at anchor or mooring, underway from on the boat looking out, or.........in the yard. Wonder what that means.........

It means you need to join a sailing club. At least for a year or two.

Like the pram, but don't you ever daydream about upgrading to an Alcort/AMF Puffer?

FB- Doug

Like the pram, but don't you ever daydream about upgrading to an Alcort/AMF Puffer?

FB- Doug

Nah..........only two reasons I have the thing:

1) Teach my grandkids to sail

2) Drink beer while slowly puttering around the harbor

B)

P4090407_zpssnhvdm5l.jpg

Sigh... sometimes I almost miss living in SoCal.

Almost.

TBT....Not my boat, but a MORC boat I helped the owner build in the late 70s. Wasn't launched until '90ish...owner had the almost done boat in storage while he put his wife thru school, then himself, then divorce. Sweetest sailing boat, one of my favorites. Had a pretty outstanding PHRF record, and we got 3rd in class in '96 MORC Internationals (oldest boat!) and won Florida Ocean Racing Association championship it's final year in '97. Boat was a rocket W-L in a breeze.

15995165_10155002960381579_1353010278530

FB- Doug

+1 I am also a fan of the Aphrodite.

+ another.

Here's a pic of my dog sailing our boat. Our favorites winds, 5-6 knots of wind, flat water, telltales fluttering, good speed. Not much to do but keep a lazy watch.

30372334554_db0d91d408_h.jpg

Lovely pictures Kris, that's a very nice boat.

Here's a pic of my dog sailing our boat. Our favorites winds, 5-6 knots of wind, flat water, telltales fluttering, good speed. Not much to do but keep a lazy watch.

30372334554_db0d91d408_h.jpg

Lovely pictures Kris, that's a very nice boat.

Lovely boat, lovely dog.

Our favourite breeze - 20 knots on the beam. And my favourite helmsperson

IMG_1519-1024x768.jpg

This Tancook Whaler (100 year old fishing design), sailing into Pulpit Harbor was something to watch.

31502588564_59f5e572d0_b.jpg

It nimbly tacked through the dog legged entrance just off the granite ledges.

31502588604_4d58942fbc_b.jpg

I've posted these before but in the interest of an easy sailing boat - that is pleasant to watch, this is a good one. At least in this guys hands. He sailed her in threading through the moored boats, and onto an anchor for the night(she has a small cabin forward).

31502581094_9c12f9c599_b.jpg

A pleasant break from the crisp white yachties that frequent this harbor in season, the owner/captain was so pleased when I ran these photos in an online article.

"I just wish I had worn one of my better hats", was his only criticism.

31502581064_7e00da9392_b.jpg

• Like 1

This Tancook Whaler (100 year old fishing design), sailing into Pulpit Harbor was something to watch.

"I just wish I had worn one of my better hats", was his only criticism.

31502581064_7e00da9392_b.jpg

Hat? What hat?

KDH, Your boat looks right at home in Pulpit.

If a small schooner is cute, a tiny one is cuter. Seen in Pretty Marsh a few years ago:

sailing133.jpg

There sure are some pretty boats on the planet..........some damn pretty boats. I love my boat - suits us and our use wonderfully - but always am a little jealous of those classic boats. Just beautiful. I don't know if there is anything on the planet more beautiful and appealing to the eye than a boat.

Maybe a dog...................

Or a nice piece of freshly sanded Koa.........

Or a well cared for Fire Engine..........a Mack preferably..............with a US Flag flying proudly from the top.........

Or...............

never mind.............

Can someone tell me, in the simplest possible terms, how to post a picture currently languishing in an email folder? I would really appreciate it.

quickest, upload to imgur.com (you can keep it private rather than share) copy the link, click on the image icon in the forum message toolbar, and paste the imgur link here.

(There are better sites for photos, but I find imgur a quick and dirty solution)

Markus - it's usually best to put the photo on some public sharing site, like photobucket.

Then you can link to it; there's a photograph icon in the edit toolbar that helps with that...

IMG_0822_zpsppjh2s7b.jpg

Not my boat, but a sistership, spectating at the AC.

Can someone tell me, in the simplest possible terms, how to post a picture currently languishing in an email folder? I would really appreciate it.

quickest, upload to imgur.com (you can keep it private rather than share) copy the link, click on the image icon in the forum message toolbar, and paste the imgur link here.

(There are better sites for photos, but I find imgur a quick and dirty solution)

Thanks...will that post the photo or a link to the photo?

This picture always evokes a peaceful feeling. We lived aboard this boat for a few years and it was always nice to take a trip............in our house.........this was on the way to somewhere.............

LA%20Vie%20Heeled%20Stern%20View_zps4glk

KDH, Your boat looks right at home in Pulpit.

If a small schooner is cute, a tiny one is cuter. Seen in Pretty Marsh a few years ago:

sailing133.jpg

One of the Van Dine Schooners? About the same size as, and built for the same purpose as, LFH's Rozinante.

Thanks...will that post the photo or a link to the photo?

That will post the photo in the thread (like point break post above).

Save the picture out of the email to some place where you can find it again.

Alternate to the above, you can upload to SA. At the top right of this page, click on your username to display a menu, and click on Gallery. At Gallery, click on an album name (don't know if you have to add one). Top rightish, there is a "upload", then find the "choose file" and "upload". Then click "review" and finally "publish". To put in a post, choose "My Media:, then "Gallery".

Here is one, takes on the delivery home. We're back in familiar waters and a friend took this pic.

post-37611-0-28839000-1484683577_thumb.jpg

My dog could sail our old boat with her eyes closed.

LibTillTamer.jpg

Touching shot. I just lost my dog of fifteen years last Thursday. Leaves a hole in ones heart.

Hug your dogs.

That's a very Tasmanian name.

Unfortunately I can't find the beer down here, they used to own one of our breweries, Boags, but sold out a while ago ....

Still, if the boat is named after an archangel and a beer there is no way I would be brave enough to change it.

On my Aero47 in Sardinia

post-10179-0-13051800-1484734418_thumb.jpg

and on the XO racer in Trieste

post-10179-0-90925400-1484734800_thumb.jpg

post-10179-0-55342500-1484734441_thumb.jpg

Hey Olof, you owe a picture of your SportsBoat.

(Oh yeah, she belongs to Sweet Hart, never mind.)

It's in the atavar Kim

Picture way too small to qualify Olof!

Two pictures -- one of VALIS, and one I took from VALIS of a friend:

DSC_0048%20(Large).jpg

Crewmember "Razorback" standing watch on a foggy, moonlit night. Sailing home from Hawaii in 2008.

Intention-Birds.JPG

My friend Jim's Crealock 37 "Intention" leaving San Francisco for the Marquesas. I know it isn't my boat, but I really got lucky with this photo.

A friend posted this photo of our boat sailing during the Snowbirds race last weekend:

15966284_10212251713070685_5287657121761

I was worried that it would be a really cold and windless day, but the sun came out, the temperature rose, and the wind picked up a little bit. We had a great day on the water and it was nice to have our crew back for 2017.

Intention-Birds.JPG

My friend Jim's Crealock 37 "Intention" leaving San Francisco for the Marquesas. I know it isn't my boat, but I really got lucky with this photo.

That is a great photo only slightly marred by the fuel tanks on deck.

Perhaps one day a great designer will emerge with a better solution to the fuel problem.

It's not a design problem, it's a psychology problem. You could fill the boat with diesel up to the floorboards but when you think about pointing the nose across an ocean, there's always room for more fuel on deck.

It's not a design problem, it's a psychology problem. You could fill the boat with diesel up to the floorboards but when you think about pointing the nose across an ocean, there's always room for more fuel on deck.

Worthy of a cartoon showing a sailboat towing a tanker.

True to be sure, but in this case the next fuel stop was about 2800 NM distant, and the route goes through the ITCZ. And, that Crealock carries much less fuel than some of the more modern boats. I think a few jerry cans can be excused in this case.