• Announcements

    • Zapata

      Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

      Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Black Jack

Show your boat sailing thread

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, kdh said:

Drone shot.

011_zpsqy4tbccl.jpg

Beauty!

The problem is, you're both looking at the drone. You need to act natural!

FB- Doug

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, A horse, of course said:

noice! I should know what the boat is but don't. What is she (beyond very spic and span)?

Thanks for the compliments. She's a Hinckley Sou'wester 42, the second to last built, in 2005.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Beauty!

The problem is, you're both looking at the drone. You need to act natural!

FB- Doug

We weren't what I would call relaxed. I was nervous about getting the bird back aboard. I found turning off its GPS helped. To get it back on board grabbing the drone from underneath, being careful to stay away from the props, turned out to be easier than I thought.

I have a lot of practice flying smaller drones for fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, kdh said:

Drone shot.

011_zpsqy4tbccl.jpg

Your Hinckley 42 looks almost perfect. That's been one of my absolute favorite designs for years.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That boat has a ridiculously excessive amount of gorgeosity and old time elegance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, willp14335 said:

Your Hinckley 42 looks almost perfect. That's been one of my absolute favorite designs for years.  

 

You've been on that one.

IMG_0131.thumb.JPG.dad28734f0ac178bd7228c4dae0537f3.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well secured by that massive anchor of yours, BJ.

I wonder where "curm" went off to? Doesn't seem to be around here any more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, kdh said:

Well secured by that massive anchor of yours, BJ.

I wonder where "curm" went off to? Doesn't seem to be around here any more.

I don't know where he went, he does seem to have wandered off.

That anchor has served us well, and strapping on all those boats to it the first time I ever set it was a good confidence builder.

I've got a bigger one, though fortunately I've only had to use it once when we rode out Sandy up the river in Deltaville, VA.

IMG_1597.thumb.JPG.cde4ea5542b65438697682690fd7b483.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/2/2017 at 1:54 PM, kdh said:

Drone shot.

011_zpsqy4tbccl.jpg

Beautiful boat from a great angle. That's pretty amazing for someone with a new drone. I wish I could see you bringing it back onboard. Your drone shot has me thinking:

 

I was sailing alone yesterday and taking some shots of 'my boat sailing'. I've taken hundreds (thousands?), over a couple decades, trying to capture the boat, 'under sail'.

 

A boat under sail is tough to capture with a still camera. Onne van der Wal is a master and I've gotten many clues from his shots.  

 

 I find the energy of sail is most visible on the leeward side (maybe not so with a drone?). That's where the motion/propulsion is most evident. And to get a feeling of speed, manually setting a lower shutter speed can help(but that trick can be overused).

 

Slow shutter speeds are tricky in good light(overexposed shots), and you get a lot of fuzzy shots from camera shake, especially in the conditions I shot yesterday with a reef in the main.  But the shutter speed can define two worlds: On the boat and the water you're moving through. 

 

You can't that with a drone still, as the drone moves with the boat. It's a complete freeze - boat and sea. Or maybe you can as you pull the drone away from the boat. I'm beginning to get tempted and may have to try one.

 

KDH, how much more skill do you think you'll need with the drone, to use it in more boisterous conditions like these? Easy stuff, single handing and taking these shots with a still camera but I suppose you'd have to be quite a drone pilot to get them from the air. I could see me having my hands very full,...

 

34903257683_35bd4b3c18_h.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tartan 38 tooling around in Shelter Island Sound. Same hull as a 37 with a tall rig and fixed keel. 

IMG_3001.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kris Cringle said:

 

34903257683_35bd4b3c18_h.jpg

This is a remarkably nice shot, in a thread of remarkable shots.

Appears simple but there is a lot of effort to take a shot like this. You can feel the speed and movement of the boat. And you can tell the boat is well cared for. To my eye the jib looks to be perfectly trimmed and pulling hard.

Thank you for that.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The secret of Beken's photos, especially when using big glass plates (one boat, one frame) was to click as the boat goes down into the wave in front. Bone in mouth guaranteed. 

The below was the first photo we took, during our very first sail with our big baby. I still love the photo, partly for its memories. The boat had been ashore for three or more years, and she wanted to go, and go, and go. I certainly didn't want to turn back that day. 

 

cropped-needles-24-09-111.jpg

 

Another interpretation of lee rail

 

595ba28189c09_17Leerail.thumb.jpg.192c5c86514dcad4ba2dd0a4cf2e8be5.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, bmiller said:

This is a remarkably nice shot, in a thread of remarkable shots.

Appears simple but there is a lot of effort to take a shot like this. You can feel the speed and movement of the boat. And you can tell the boat is well cared for. To my eye the jib looks to be perfectly trimmed and pulling hard.

Thank you for that.

 

 

AGreed. Very cheering

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's another one from our 2008 Hawaii return:

DSC_0048%20(Large).jpg

Selfie taken by anarchist Razorback, standing his moonlight watch.  He is an excellent photographer and captured a lot of beautiful shots on that trip.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, A horse, of course said:

The secret of Beken's photos, especially when using big glass plates (one boat, one frame) was to click as the boat goes down into the wave in front. Bone in mouth guaranteed. 

The below was the first photo we took, during our very first sail with our big baby. I still love the photo, partly for its memories. The boat had been ashore for three or more years, and she wanted to go, and go, and go. I certainly didn't want to turn back that day. 

 

cropped-needles-24-09-111.jpg

 

Another interpretation of lee rail

 

595ba28189c09_17Leerail.thumb.jpg.192c5c86514dcad4ba2dd0a4cf2e8be5.jpg

Those are great pictures.  

Here's our own interpretation of the technique, taken on Lake Ontario few years ago.

 

DSC_3323 cropped.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice shot Tom

Is that a challenge? :ph34r:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has Tom been nominated for resident expert on sealing cabin side ports?

He certainly is expert on immersing them. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SloopJonB said:

Has Tom been nominated for resident expert on sealing cabin side ports?

He certainly is expert on immersing them. :D

Nooooo!   ..They do leak. :(   ...I just bury them anyway.:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll concede, you win  :rolleyes:

This pic was taken on lake Ontario, in 2011, on the delivery from Traverse City, Mi. to Montreal.  It was a fun day.

 

DSC_0807.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Kris Cringle said:

Beautiful boat from a great angle. That's pretty amazing for someone with a new drone. I wish I could see you bringing it back onboard. Your drone shot has me thinking:

I was sailing alone yesterday and taking some shots of 'my boat sailing'. I've taken hundreds (thousands?), over a couple decades, trying to capture the boat, 'under sail'.

A boat under sail is tough to capture with a still camera. Onne van der Wal is a master and I've gotten many clues from his shots.  

 I find the energy of sail is most visible on the leeward side (maybe not so with a drone?). That's where the motion/propulsion is most evident. And to get a feeling of speed, manually setting a lower shutter speed can help(but that trick can be overused).

Slow shutter speeds are tricky in good light(overexposed shots), and you get a lot of fuzzy shots from camera shake, especially in the conditions I shot yesterday with a reef in the main.  But the shutter speed can define two worlds: On the boat and the water you're moving through. 

You can't that with a drone still, as the drone moves with the boat. It's a complete freeze - boat and sea. Or maybe you can as you pull the drone away from the boat. I'm beginning to get tempted and may have to try one.

KDH, how much more skill do you think you'll need with the drone, to use it in more boisterous conditions like these? Easy stuff, single handing and taking these shots with a still camera but I suppose you'd have to be quite a drone pilot to get them from the air. I could see me having my hands very full,...

KC, this was my first flight from the boat and a proof of concept more than anything. We did what was most likely to be successful, which is fly the drone on the windward side and not too far away.

The drones like the DJI Phantom 2 that I have are sophisticated machines. Along with the basic gyro stabilization they have an altimeter and a GPS used to maintain position. They are designed to stay at a fixed position and can even "return to home" all by themselves. The problem is that boats under way are moving, so "home" is dynamic.

As such I turned off the GPS and flew more manually. The wind has a significant effect but can be overcome if the drone can fly faster than the wind speed.

Retrieving the bird amounts to getting it in a stable position above the pilot and reaching up and grabbing it. This was easier to do than I thought.

The picture above is unprocessed except for a fisheye lens correction which is built into Adobe Lightroom.

To learn to fly most recommend, as do I, starting with a small drone that has just gyro stabilization. I have a bunch of Hubsan X4 drones that are cheap and fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Tom Scott said:

...I like leward side shots too. :D

bash1

Tom, I'm sorry but this is ridiculous. Surely that's not fast or comfortable! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, kdh said:

Tom, I'm sorry but this is ridiculous. Surely that's not fast or comfortable! :)

Have you read Tom's thread, KD?  His sailing style got thoroughly discussed there....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, kdh said:

Tom, I'm sorry but this is ridiculous. Surely that's not fast or comfortable! :)

 

5 minutes ago, groundhog said:

Have you read Tom's thread, KD?  His sailing style got thoroughly discussed there....

 

Yup.  I have no idea how to sail fast, or comfortably. :D

relaxed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, groundhog said:

Have you read Tom's thread, KD?  His sailing style got thoroughly discussed there....

 

Oh Lord, please let's not re-hash this.

Tom has his methods and it's totally unproductive to debate them. Let the man sail his boat. Just tilt your head 85 degrees when viewing his photos and let it be. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Funny thing is I'm not sure I could even sail in a straight line with the rail under water, the rounding-up force is so strong.  I can remember, though, being a jib trimmer on a C&C 35 and regularly having the water threaten to overtop my rubber boot.  Different angles for different boats.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, groundhog said:

Funny thing is I'm not sure I could even sail in a straight line with the rail under water, the rounding-up force is so strong.  I can remember, though, being a jib trimmer on a C&C 35 and regularly having the water threaten to overtop my rubber boot.  Different angles for different boats.

Agreed. Different types of keels combined with different sail plans and hull shapes cause different sailing characteristics between boats.

My Pearson 30 performed best when sailed in a manner similar (but not nearly as extreme) as Tom's Morgan. My T-33 sails best upwind, heeling at angles 15 degrees or less or the boat simply slides to leeward. However, close hauled and DDW are its weakest performing points of sail.

I hate to say this, but to really learn a new boat, to let it "speak to you,"  you need to have a decent set of sails so that the "message" that the boat is sending you, isn't distorted. I was blessed with a mainsail in reasonable condition and purchased a new genoa which enables me to understand what the boat is asking for.

From the sound of it, you're not likely to pour dollars into expensive wind instruments anytime soon, so another method is to use your GPS track to analyze your tacks and observe your VMG while sailing to your marks. Don't forget to factor in tide and current when looking at your tacks. Those variables will distort them somewhat. Even an old handheld unit like a Garmin GPS 76cx or 78 has these features, so you don't need to spend a lot of money. 

Looking at this stuff can help you determine if you're oversheeting, pinching, footing, causing too much leeway, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

...and besides,  someday's burying the rail is just fun! :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess if KDH is showing his, I'll show mine. Older, but we love her.

IMG_7379mhr copy 2.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gorgeous. Boat esthetics sure haven't made as much progress as underbodies and performance have over the past 40 odd years.

In fact I'd go so far as to say that since about the start of this century they have shown a marked regression.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cruisin Loser said:

I guess if KDH is showing his, I'll show mine. Older, but we love her.

IMG_7379mhr copy 2.jpg

Nice.

Is that a Chessypeak anarchist I spy on there?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Wess said:

Nice.

Is that a Chessypeak anarchist I spy on there?

I'm not sure you can tell in that picture. Timfordi550 is aboard, as is the Former Anarchist Formerly Known as MoeAlfa.  

IMG_7377mhr copy.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Cruisin Loser said:

I'm not sure you can tell in that picture. Timfordi550 is aboard, as is the Former Anarchist Formerly Known as MoeAlfa.  

IMG_7377mhr copy.jpg

LOL, you mean he was down below napping already?

Hope you guys get better breeze next year for that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In case others hadn't figured it out, these pics were taken at the start of this years Marion-Bermuda Race. Oh, and Anarchists bmiller, Slick470, and D'Ranger sailed the return to Newport from Bermuda.

Sparky is Hull#23 of the SW-42's, launched 1985. I think KDH's is maybe #77 (?) launched 20 years later. If you take care of them, these boats have very good bones and hold up nicely. They also sail very, very well, with no bad habits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Ajax said:

 

Oh Lord, please let's not re-hash this.

Tom has his methods and it's totally unproductive to debate them. Let the man sail his boat. Just tilt your head 85 degrees when viewing his photos and let it be. :)

And if you happen to be invited along, bring climbing gear for the tacks. A poncho for the period between tacks isn't a bad plan either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/4/2017 at 0:16 PM, Tom Scott said:

...I like leward side shots too. :D

bash1

Does your thread discuss fairing the lifelines and chainplates for maximum performance under water?    I do love your vertigo, it works for me.  :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

And if you happen to be invited along, bring climbing gear for the tacks. A poncho for the period between tacks isn't a bad plan either.

A few salient points:

  • We WON the race.
  • As the only guy in the cockpit, i can attest to the fact that we never exceeded 60 degrees of heel ..for very long.:rolleyes:
  • We WON the race.
  • I told you to bring your snorkel!  Did you listen to me? No. You did not. B)
  • We were racing at night. You don't for sure know what you saw. It was mostly dark. :ph34r:
  • We WON the race.
  • It wasn't as bad as you thought. Sonya's tears added to the feeling of wetness, and having her hang onto you exacerbated your sensation of heeling.
  • A wet suit may have worked better than a poncho. :)
  • We WON the race.

Whimsy Takes

...This rather dismissive write-up in the local fish wrapper was the beginning of the end of my PHRF racing: "If this doesn't seem fair, it may not be..."   Well, that and the fact that my crew ran away and wouldn't sail anymore once the boat returned to the dock after this race. So, it was a little rough...C'mon!!!  :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you turn your dorade vents forward you won't be able to tell the joint's leaking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, IStream said:

If you turn your dorade vents forward you won't be able to tell the joint's leaking.

...It's worse that you imagine. Those are not 'Dorades" - they are straight cowls. :P

winter Day 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Streamer:

Those are not "Dorades". Those are cowl ventilators. A Dorade vent, named after the old S&S racer DORADE, is a cowl vent mounted on a drained box with a baffle in it to prevent water from getting below while allowing air to pass through, But you knew this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, IStream said:

 

Those tanker pilots are amazing - how they can balance the controls while picking up an Olympic swimming pool of water in about 10 seconds. It must be like driving onto soft sand at 150 MPH and not even slowing down.

Mad skilz.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bob Perry said:

Streamer:

Those are not "Dorades". Those are cowl ventilators. A Dorade vent, named after the old S&S racer DORADE, is a cowl vent mounted on a drained box with a baffle in it to prevent water from getting below while allowing air to pass through, But you knew this.

Thanks for the clarification, Bob. I saw that clearly in Tom's second photo but got fooled by the reflection (and the 45 degree heel!) in the first.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/5/2017 at 3:07 PM, Cruisin Loser said:

In case others hadn't figured it out, these pics were taken at the start of this years Marion-Bermuda Race. Oh, and Anarchists bmiller, Slick470, and D'Ranger sailed the return to Newport from Bermuda.

Sparky is Hull#23 of the SW-42's, launched 1985. I think KDH's is maybe #77 (?) launched 20 years later. If you take care of them, these boats have very good bones and hold up nicely. They also sail very, very well, with no bad habits.

And I thank you again so very much for having me along. After years of coastal/Bay stuff this was my first offshore passage and I couldn't have asked for a better boat than Sparky to be indoctrinated on. She is a beautiful boat that is very, very well taken care of. I also couldn't have asked for a better skipper and crew to be part of.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hope y'all had better breeze for the delivery home. Looked like lots of good fishing weather on the way out!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎7‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 7:07 AM, Slick470 said:

And I thank you again so very much for having me along. After years of coastal/Bay stuff this was my first offshore passage and I couldn't have asked for a better boat than Sparky to be indoctrinated on. She is a beautiful boat that is very, very well taken care of. I also couldn't have asked for a better skipper and crew to be part of.  

I second what slick says. I had a blast on a well found and cared for boat with a fun crew. 

We were sitting watch on a very dark night sailing along a little over 7kts with only the glow of the chart plotter. And I was thinking does it get any better than this? Then I bashed my head on the dodger while adjusting the main and bled all over the place. That feeling I am very familiar with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Bryanjb said:

Not used to the new way of posting....

Sailing of Marblehead.jpg

Good looking boat, only a sail wash away from gorgeous. What is she?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a C&C 61.  The main has mildew (spectra and taffeta), kind of tough to throw away a $30k main because it has mildew.  Plus we have other expenses this year, standing rigging, chain plates, batteries, chargers, monitors, and keel rebed.  The main has to wait.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/27/2017 at 9:49 AM, Ajax said:

-hog,

You don't need to apologize for anything. You're out there, you're doing it. Most of us are sailing 4ktb's.

People keep telling me how nice my boat is, and I keep telling them "Please step where the stringers are or you might put your foot through the rotted cabin sole."  I'm still trying to stop all the leaks in the hot water supply side of my fresh water system. The Awlgrip paint is...not great. I might be able to bring it back to life, but maybe not.

Hey, it looks great from a couple hundred yards away!

IMG_1397a.jpg

Ajax, I didn't realize your boat has a fractional rig. I'll look forward to seeing some pics from closer range.

BC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Bryanjb said:

It's a C&C 61.  The main has mildew (spectra and taffeta), kind of tough to throw away a $30k main because it has mildew.  Plus we have other expenses this year, standing rigging, chain plates, batteries, chargers, monitors, and keel rebed.  The main has to wait.

Mildew notwithstanding, you're obviously taking great care of her. I've admired the C&C61 Koh I Noor up close in Roche harbor, she's beautiful from every angle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 7:41 AM, Bryanjb said:

Not used to the new way of posting....

Sailing of Marblehead.jpg

There used to be a poster here, Joli, who has a sistership. Maybe you know him?B)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/15/2017 at 9:42 AM, bmiller said:

Then I bashed my head on the dodger while adjusting the main and bled all over the place. That feeling I am very familiar with.

You didn't bleed that much...

I agree, the night watches were amazing. Especially the skies. I haven't seen that many stars or that good of a view of the milky way since I was a kid in the boy scouts sitting on top of a mountain in Colorado or New Mexico. Good times. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally got our boat out over the 4th weekend. 4 adults and 5 kids on a 30 footer. Crowded but fun. Most are hiding below in this picture but we're sailing. :D

20170704_125916.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Cruisin Loser said:

There used to be a poster here, Joli, who has a sistership. Maybe you know him?B)

The penny dropped for me when he said C&C 61. There should be a user name glossary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Slick470 said:

Finally got our boat out over the 4th weekend. 4 adults and 5 kids on a 30 footer. Crowded but fun. Most are hiding below in this picture but we're sailing. :D

20170704_125916.jpg

Dogs in the house. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/15/2017 at 7:41 AM, Bryanjb said:

Not used to the new way of posting....

Sailing of Marblehead.jpg

Bryan, better check those bilges! She is looking a bit low in the water...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gonna be a short season Rasp.

I don't know how my username got changed or where my photobucket photos went.   The internet is a strange place. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bryanjb said:

Gonna be a short season Rasp.

I don't know how my username got changed or where my photobucket photos went.   The internet is a strange place. 

It all happened during the latest upgrade to this site. Everyone's name got changed back to original login name, fortunately I have only one so it's easy to remember. You can change your name if you want. Photobucket is it's own kind of fucked. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've taken my laser out sailing almost every day after work since I got her. Yesterday I was out for six hours. Here are some photos my landlord took when I stopped by his boat for a hotdog.  

Screenshot_2017-07-17-21-40-24~01.png

Screenshot_2017-07-17-21-40-12~01.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Will, you are in the middle of an incredible, special moment in your life. Enjoy it, and be sure to remember it later.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great advice - it's amazing how we can take extraordinary life events in stride when we are young and not recognize them for what they are until later in life.

My first summer job when I was 15 was working at the Okanagan game farm. My duties included looking after and walking a pair of juvenile Lions on leashes. At the time I thought it was fun and a pretty good summer job but I had no conception of what an singular  experience it was.

Is there another person on earth who has had an experience like that? If I'm not alone I doubt I'd have to take my socks off to count the others.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Great advice - it's amazing how we can take extraordinary life events in stride when we are young and not recognize them for what they are until later in life.

My first summer job when I was 15 was working at the Okanagan game farm. My duties included looking after and walking a pair of juvenile Lions on leashes. At the time I thought it was fun and a pretty good summer job but I had no conception of what an singular  experience it was.

Is there another person on earth who has had an experience like that? If I'm not alone I doubt I'd have to take my socks off to count the others.

097.jpg

 

Stonehenge, 1976.  There is someone to the far right wearing a white robe with dark sleeves and no head covering.  That's me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, willp14335 said:

I've taken my laser out sailing almost every day after work since I got her. Yesterday I was out for six hours. Here are some photos my landlord took when I stopped by his boat for a hotdog.  

Screenshot_2017-07-17-21-40-24~01.png

Screenshot_2017-07-17-21-40-12~01.png

How crazy flashback cool is that sail!?  Is that the button I see?  Its really a class legal sail?? 

And its got the old vang.

Will, you need a tie dye shirt, a doobie, and to learn how to super vang using your foot to "stand" on to bend and force the boom down while you tighten the vang.

Fred will have more.  Gouv... paging Gouv!!!

 

RP - is that your toy?  Way cool!!

 

PS - come on... show the hull color!  Orange??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

You were a Druid when you were young?

No, I had a summer job in the UK, and I went down to Stonehenge the day before the summer solstice.  Started talking with the Druids, and they invited me to take part in their ceremony.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

wow - Photofukkit made a mess of so many epic threads....    from Flikr, showing off the mad concentration required by the foredeck....

 

35620197080_39921f016f_c.jpg%20

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, slap said:

No, I had a summer job in the UK, and I went down to Stonehenge the day before the summer solstice.  Started talking with the Druids, and they invited me to take part in their ceremony.

I lived in Bristol for a couple of years when I was a kid so I've seen Stonehenge a couple of times - not at the solstice though.

It was a lot smaller than I expected but I also saw where the stones were quarried - miles away. It's a bit like the Moai on Easter Island - how the hell did they move and erect them?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, IrieMon said:

wow - Photofukkit made a mess of so many epic threads....    from Flikr, showing off the mad concentration required by the foredeck....

 

35620197080_39921f016f_c.jpg%20

Hey,  I got the sail up.  It's up to the back of the bus to trim it! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, willp14335 said:

I've taken my laser out sailing almost every day after work since I got her. Yesterday I was out for six hours. Here are some photos my landlord took when I stopped by his boat for a hotdog.  

Screenshot_2017-07-17-21-40-24~01.png

Screenshot_2017-07-17-21-40-12~01.png

TO DO LIST!!!!

10 Class legal Things that will make that laser  1000% better to sail than it is without fronting up cash

1 - Make the traveller loop as tight as possible

2 - Tie your mainsheet to the boom using a stopper knot facing forward so you can get block to block upwind.

3 - cascade your vang using a bowline on the top and lashings on the base.

4- cascade your cunningham

5- Cascade your outhaul by looping around the front of the mast (need longer line here)

6 - clew tie

7 - put your drink bottle on a shockcord led from the traveller lug (aft) through your hiking strap lashing.  Becomes auto retrieve.

8 - Teltales

9 - Get on the bike and put some muscle on those legs...

10 - Get on the bike and put some muscle on those legs...

11 = yes I meant to say that twice.

 

Go race it...dont cruise it.

 

Honestly, at the moment that thing must be as unsatisfying as sailing a resort hobiecat.

 

If you want to front up cash get some hiking pants and a new sail.  Training sails are cheap these days.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Post-Friday Can Racing sail back to the marina.  Crew relaxing, taking in a beer. Skipper at the back of the boat, giggling.

 

Picture1.thumb.jpg.8411c48fdf3ce447871b70b31478a8c2.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/18/2017 at 2:46 PM, cbs said:

TO DO LIST!!!!

10 Class legal Things that will make that laser  1000% better to sail than it is without fronting up cash

1 - Make the traveller loop as tight as possible

2 - Tie your mainsheet to the boom using a stopper knot facing forward so you can get block to block upwind.

3 - cascade your vang using a bowline on the top and lashings on the base.

4- cascade your cunningham

5- Cascade your outhaul by looping around the front of the mast (need longer line here)

6 - clew tie

7 - put your drink bottle on a shockcord led from the traveller lug (aft) through your hiking strap lashing.  Becomes auto retrieve.

8 - Teltales

9 - Get on the bike and put some muscle on those legs...

10 - Get on the bike and put some muscle on those legs...

11 = yes I meant to say that twice.

 

Go race it...dont cruise it.

 

Honestly, at the moment that thing must be as unsatisfying as sailing a resort hobiecat.

 

If you want to front up cash get some hiking pants and a new sail.  Training sails are cheap these days.

 

 

 

It's a $300 dollar boat. I thought about rigging it up more competitively (I really miss the telltales and spectra line I had on my old laser) but I don't want to put much tension on the hardware and break it. The boat is 40 years old. I knew it wasn't competitive when I bought it, but I'm only using the boat for a month, and haven't found anyone to race against yet. I'm leaving Anacortes on Saturday. 

As for my legs, I've done over 700 miles on bikes this year. I'm trying to get past 40 mph on my road bike, the best I've managed is 37.9 so far. Unfortunately my body tends towards lean. I have a 34" waist with a 36" inseam and only weigh 170 lbs. It's hard to find clothes that fit when I go shopping. 

Screenshot_2017-07-19-15-18-27~01.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites