aaronreiser

Attention Rocket 22 owners & crew

The existing Rocket 22 blog is full of information but the most recent post is from 2008.

My hope with this new Facebook group is to get conversations going again and create a resource for owners and crew. I do this with the best intentions and hope that I am not stepping on any toes. Happy to turn over ownership to those more knowledgable than myself.

This is an open Facebook group. Come join...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1233054130084559/

I would post this question on the new Rocket 22 site that I just found but my request to join is pending. I'll repost there when I can. (I have #015, by the way, in Naples Florida)

Anyway we were out sailing two weeks ago and my forestay parted. To make a long story short I found it was the little segment of wire and fittings that connect the mast to the top of the roller furling unit. It has a T-head into the mast and then an eye fitting. The break occurred just at the end of the swaged T-head fitting, clean across (except for two strands of 1x19 wire. Now this may seem hard to explain but everything else is missing. That is that end with the eye should have been still attached to the fork section in the top of the aluminum roller furling unit, as it was attached there with the eye fitting, a 5/16 in pin and a split ring and the whole thing was wrapped in tape (not that long ago). Well however that occurred is beside the point. The issue is that I cannot measure the eye to eye distance that the unit should be. RIgging Only is sending me a T-head fitting swaged onto 3/16" wire, with about a foot or so of loose end to the wire, and a Hi-Mod eye fitting that I can install at whatever distance I determine to be the case. Now I could make it obviously long, then see how much to subtract and the disassemble the fitting then try again. Then I realized I could reach out to other rocket owners, who would either know or could estimate..... ????

Thanks, Dana Castro, Naples Florida

I just found this string- so I thought I would try to post something helpful.  I have a Rocket 22 which suffered a major rig failure resulting in the loss of the mast.  There is a design flaw that is very serious and I strongly recommend you make the following change.  The 'Chainplates' on these boats are Wichard U bolts with rubber boots.  Water (rain water too) gets into these and the result is crevice corrosion on the SS U bolt.  Mine snapped in an instant and the result is a new expensive carbon mast and a lot of repair.   

I STRONGLY recommend that you take a look at the Spinlock U bolts that are bullet proof and galvanically isolated....https://www.amazon.com/Spinlock-Strength-Pad-eye-17-4PH-Stainless/dp/B07486J1QR?SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-d-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B07486J1QR