Sign in to follow this  
Caca Cabeza

IPhone 6 battery/meter anarchy

About a month or 2 ago, my iPhone 6 battery or meter started acting wacky. It would drop from, say, the mid 50% range to less than 10% and announce that it was in power saver mode (fine), in about 10 minutes. So I plug it in to charge and in ~5 minutes ring, it's back in the mid 50% range. It doesn't always do it, but enough to be troublesome.

Software is up to date.

Any ideas?

This has happened to me on my last two iPhones (earlier versions). It happens when a new version of the phone comes out and they update the software. Coincidence? Maybe, but I have not updated the software on my current iPhone 6, ever, and that has not yet ... uh, I'm not going to jinx myself, but you get the idea.

I believe the latest ios update caused a battery issue, I haven't installed it and don't have a problem... noticed that the phone is not indicating an ios update anymore... apple recalled it?

Check the battery usage info. I haven't had that happen on my 6 yet but it happened once or twice on my 5 and it was related to something running in the background and eating up battery. You also might try a hard reset. If that fails, back it up and restore it. If it still died that your batt may be screwed up.

I have all the latest updates and don't have issues.

My first guess is you have a couple of battery hogging background apps or notifications draining the crap out of it.

Thanks for the info.

I checked the serial number and it is not eligible.

That being said... Since this started, I am crazy anal about shutting down ALL apps after I used them. And it still happens.

Apparently the big drain is iOS. Any other thoughts?!?

Bueller, Android? Bueller?

Thanks for the info.

That being said... Since this started, I am crazy anal about shutting down ALL apps after I used them. And it still happens.

Hard reset. No joy then restore.

Thanks for the info.

android has apps which show which apps are using resources, I haven't looked into the iphone yet... any gps based aps will kill an iphone..

Now it's my macbook air (2012-ish). Just turned off at 3%. Plugged it in, turned it right back on (within seconds) and viola! 39% on the meter.

'Sup Timmy?

I replaced the battery in a 5 that was not on the serial number list but should have been. It still started bugging six months later so I got an SE.

The current fun is when I plug the newish phone into the late model mac mini, the photos program comes up with 'no photos on phone' to import. Restart, update, kill dropbox, all work eventually (five tries). PITA. You can use image capture but jeezus. So yesterday I was at a mac store (rare) and asked the first greeter about the problem (which is online but no sure solutions offered). First thing out of her mouth, 'best thing would be to bring it in and have a Genius look at it'.

Fuck that. Brought it here instead.

Perhaps I was on to something way back in ‘16.

looking like Tim n the boys be protectin us from, er, us. Linky

no wonder I go from 100% to 39% in 20 minutes. Want to bet me serial number isn’t ‘involved’...?

15 minutes ago, Caca Cabeza said:

Perhaps I was on to something way back in ‘16.

looking like Tim n the boys be protectin us from, er, us. Linky

no wonder I go from 100% to 39% in 20 minutes. Want to bet me serial number isn’t ‘involved’...?

Its a common problem..caused by a sleepy chip

to wake up the chip give your eyephone a good whack with a hammer

IMG_7594.JPG

2 hours ago, SailBlueH2O said:

I noticed my 5s battery % going down before my eyes starting in Oct after installing update....I just saw on the news Apple will replace batteries at a discount...the story said $29....

https://www.theverge.com/2017/12/28/16827248/apple-iphone-battery-replacement-price-slow-down-apology

Thanks for the link, but that's only for 6 or newer?  My 5S is 4 years old, but I have no need to spend money on newer, as it suits my needs just fine, other than shortened battery life.  Does anyone know how much to get a new battery in the 5S?  I can always call the Genius Bar in West Hartford, or New Haven, I reckon?

I have no need for a new phone either. I did notice a dramatic difference in battery reserve around the time I downloaded an update. We were on an auto road trip and in the hotel using my phone for internet it was mind boggling watching my battery level go down before my eyes. Recently I downloaded another update and noticed an improvement, perhaps a Apple fix..... bottom line the battery is nowhere near what it was. I’ll pitch a fit if the 5S is not part of the deal

32 minutes ago, SailBlueH2O said:

Another thing I really like the feel of the aluminum machined body of the 5S

I don't even notice that, since it's been in a Lifeproof case since Day 1.  Also have a Lifeproof suction mounted holder in the car, since I use it to verify and monitor highway speed at below 78 MPH, since the state does not prosecute speeding tickets, below the posted limit, plus 13 MPH.

ANDROID !!!!!

yeah...I've been looking...can get 3 Pixel2's for one IPX....first of all....I make about 5 calls a months...maybe 2 or 3 times that in texts...occasional photos

the feel of the phones on the market today feel cheap in my hand....maybe I am not that smart....flip back

32 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

I don't even notice that, since it's been in a Lifeproof case since Day 1.  Also have a Lifeproof suction mounted holder in the car, since I use it to verify and monitor highway speed at below 78 MPH, since the state does not prosecute speeding tickets, below the posted limit, plus 13 MPH.

I have my 5S in a low profile leather case along with a applied screen protector

My 7 year old MacBookPro has some malware issues ...$149 @ BB to fix....I could get a new Chrome Book something for $500 +-...I usually overbuy even though I will never use all the functions...they seem to stay current longer......back to the MBP......it is a work of art....I'll never get rid of that aluminium machined frame

19 minutes ago, SailBlueH2O said:

yeah...I've been looking...can get 3 Pixel2's for one IPX....first of all....I make about 5 calls a months...maybe 2 or 3 times that in texts...occasional photos

the feel of the phones on the market today feel cheap in my hand....maybe I am not that smart....flip back

Samsung S5 is for you

South of $100 (more like $50) $5 for a New Drop in Batt Good enoighf Kamera 32gig memory with a slot for 128gig

YOU DO NOT NEED ANY MORE !!

16 minutes ago, DA-WOODY said:

Samsung S5 is for you

South of $100 (more like $50) $5 for a New Drop in Batt Good enoighf Kamera 32gig memory with a slot for 128gig

YOU DO NOT NEED ANY MORE !!

that is what my wife bought at the same time I got my 5S....Sept 2014....there are other issues with my 5S....speaker and camera are degraded...

I came across this earlier today....anyone have experience with these.. The HUAWEI Mate 9

I don't find the notion of having to buy a new critter every 3-5 years that onerous in todays technological environment. Does anybody really expect a small rechargeable battery that gets cycled every single day at various states of charge to survive much longer than that? Does anybody expect that as OS or iOS become more "powerful" that they don't require upgraded hardware and power requirements? I think that the smartphone is only 10 years oldish and the various nonstop advances give testimony to that view. I can remember my first cell phone was a big handset in a case like a purse......it wasn't that long ago. I figure 3ish years is a pretty good run nowadays.

1 hour ago, SailBlueH2O said:

that is what my wife bought at the same time I got my 5S....Sept 2014....there are other issues with my 5S....speaker and camera are degraded...

I came across this earlier today....anyone have experience with these.. The HUAWEI Mate 9

Not that model, but I've got a Nexus 6P made by Huawei and it's great from both a performance and quality standpoint. The Mate 9 is a pretty close cousin. It's about a year newer, so it's got a slightly faster processor, more RAM, and bigger battery. The biggest difference is that the Nexus has a higher resolution AMOLED screen versus the Mate's LCD. If you can get a good price on it, it's probably pretty solid phone. That said, Motorola is putting out some really good phones in the <$300 range. The G5s Plus is a great phone that can be had on sale for about $230. 

FYI, before the 6P, I had a Nexus 5, which was made by LG to a (low) COGS. I'd just shifted over from an iPhone 5 which, with every iOS "upgrade" got progressively slower. The LG hardware was at least two steps below Apple's but every Android upgrade I got with the Nexus 5 made the phone better. That's no longer quite as true but it's no worse and I don't regret extracting myself from the Apple ecosystem. My wife gave up on Apple last year and my son is in the process of doing so now. My daughter is still a die-hard thanks to Facetime.

for $5 you can still buy a New Batt for a Sumsung S-5 and drop it in as fast as shutting it off & on

10 minutes ago, Point Break said:

Apple has discounted it to $29 and they do it.

So I just have to go to the Genius Bar at Apple Store in Westfarms Mall, or New Haven, I reckon, thanks!!

15 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

So I just have to go to the Genius Bar at Apple Store in Westfarms Mall, or New Haven, I reckon, thanks!!

Might call ahead for appointment, I reckon they will be busy with this new offer.

23 minutes ago, Point Break said:

Might call ahead for appointment, I reckon they will be busy with this new offer.

Thanks again!  It's probably less mileage to go to West Farm from work in Middletown, than New Haven,  but other than somewhat lesser time holding a charge, phone works fine.

Apple says it's sorry for slowing down your iPhone

Apple has apologised for deliberately slowing down its devices as they age, and has announced plans for how it wants to make it up to consumers.

Key points:

• Apple to make it cheaper to replace iPhone batteries
  • Software to be updated to allow users to track battery health
  • Apple denies intentionally shortening products' lives to drive upgrades

In a statement issued on Friday morning, Apple said it had faced some backlash after revealing that it slowed the processors in older iPhone models — including the iPhone 7, 6, 6s and SE — when their batteries began to wear out, and acknowledged that many customers felt "let down".

55 minutes ago, random said:

Apple says it's sorry for slowing down your iPhone

Apple has apologised for deliberately slowing down its devices as they age, and has announced plans for how it wants to make it up to consumers.

Key points:

• Apple to make it cheaper to replace iPhone batteries
  • Software to be updated to allow users to track battery health
  • Apple denies intentionally shortening products' lives to drive upgrades

In a statement issued on Friday morning, Apple said it had faced some backlash after revealing that it slowed the processors in older iPhone models — including the iPhone 7, 6, 6s and SE — when their batteries began to wear out, and acknowledged that many customers felt "let down".

drained

discharged

But Not smart enough to Quit that BullShit and get a DROID !!

So, about a month ago I can’t live with the battery issues on the 6 anymore so we bought aftermarket and cracked the phone. Good news is, the new battery fixes the problem. I don’t begrudge Apple, lots more OS is gonna suck more juice. I did think the $80 replacement was a ripoff. $29 is about right

3 hours ago, Point Break said:

Man, I guess I am lucky. I have a 6 and so far.......not even a glimmer of a battery problem.

Fonez keepin steep with ya ...... eh

Well my old IP 5S is on top of the fridge with my 20 year old  collection of cell phones...I woke up the a Verizon promo in my email....$14 a month x 24 months for a Samsung Galaxy S8 and the Samsung Galaxy Tab E .....now this old dog has to learn new tricks

It bothers me that the wording seems to make Apple the gate keeper of who qualifies.  Less than 2%?

On ‎12‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 3:16 PM, Point Break said:

Apple has discounted it to $29 and they do it.

Only for model 6 and higher.  $79 for 5S, so I may try one of the DIY kits, anyone had problems going that route?  I was on hold with Westfarms Apple Store for half hour before I got a CSR on the line! GRrrr

I went back and forth through this thread twice, looking for the post where the user bought the kit, and swapped the battery by self?  Cannot find the post now?  I can pay 89 to Apple Store to install new battery, or 35 bucks for kit with battery, special tools and instruction to DIY?  I would love to save 64 bucks, but wondering what the difficulty level is to DIY?  When I was 16, I could remove a VW Bug motor in about six minutes, so I have basic mechanical aptitude.  But I am not very confident when it comes fiddling with tiny electronic device bits?  I guess I can google youtube videos tomorrow morning, probably an instructional video there.

I'm considered by most of my friends and family as the guy who can fix almost anything. So I got the kit and replaced the battery on my daughter's 5S a couple of years ago. It was a pain in the ass to get the battery unglued from the inside of the phone. When I got it back together it worked, but there were a few glitches that I could not resolve. So I erased the phone and traded it in for an SE. I think I'm done with opening iPhones now. My advice, let a pro do it. 

31 minutes ago, MisterMoon said:

I'm considered by most of my friends and family as the guy who can fix almost anything. So I got the kit and replaced the battery on my daughter's 5S a couple of years ago. It was a pain in the ass to get the battery unglued from the inside of the phone. When I got it back together it worked, but there were a few glitches that I could not resolve. So I erased the phone and traded it in for an SE. I think I'm done with opening iPhones now. My advice, let a pro do it. 

Thanks for that Mister Moon!  I will not attempt to do it, based on your experience.  I will just keep charging it, throughout the day as needed, rather than pay Apple 89 bux.  After borrowing one, from a friend when we were in Europe in October, I bought an external battery from mycharger.com for 25 bux on Amazon. Charges it way faster than the 110V cube, and recharges itself from any USB port.  Similar size to the Iphone, so I carried them comfortably, hooked up together, in my cargo shorts, when we were touring.

On 1/1/2018 at 11:17 AM, SailBlueH2O said:

Well my old IP 5S is on top of the fridge with my 20 year old  collection of cell phones...I woke up the a Verizon promo in my email....$14 a month x 24 months for a Samsung Galaxy S8 and the Samsung Galaxy Tab E .....now this old dog has to learn new tricks

Just buy a S-7 Edge

Bigger screen than S8

Bigger Batt than S8 3,600 V 3,000

More memory than S8

And you can buy a Mint one outright off CL for $150 

Fuck the insurance !!!!!

S-8 is a step DOWN but fools who Must have the bigger Number Will sell you their old better one cuz None of their friends would be seen w it !!

10 hours ago, DA-WOODY said:

Just buy a S-7 Edge

Bigger screen than S8

Bigger Batt than S8 3,600 V 3,000

More memory than S8

And you can buy a Mint one outright off CL for $150 

Fuck the insurance !!!!!

S-8 is a step DOWN but fools who Must have the bigger Number Will sell you their old better one cuz None of their friends would be seen w it !!

I am not into the biggest latest stuff of any kind ....I'd still be perfectly happy with my 5S IP if not for the sudden battery issues....I've got the S8 and set up in the easy mode.....

So, for 13 bucks on Amazon, I got a new battery, tool kit and instructions to change out the battery myself.  I was intially afraid to do this myself, but after watching some Youtube videos, I am now confident that I can DIY this.  But now, people are telling me that any 3rd party work on the phone, not done by an authorized Apple servicer, will disable phone features?  Anyone else had this situation?  Daughter has a similar 5s to mine, and she had a 3rd party replace the screen.  It worked fine a first, but the next time she updated the IOS, it disabled her finger touch lock.  I don't much care if I lose that feature, as its not a big deal to enter my 4 digit code to unlock, but now I am worried about other features possibly being disabled?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts, experiences or advice!!

I gotta say....my 6 is trucking along quite well. No issues so far. Maybe I've been lucky.

Reports are that the iOS 12 update will improve the 6's speed and battery life as well. I've been thinking of a phone upgrade but if the iOS 12 performs as well as reported I'll wait a while longer. At least until the fall release of the new phones and see what they offer. I've never been a latest and greatest guy but with the pace of technological improvements, it does tempt one.

Side note, I will say once I picked up my 12" iPad Pro a couple years ago, I hadn't touched my laptop (it was an older Air) since then so I gave it to my daughter. Since I'm retired, its unlikely I'll ever buy a laptop again. If I was still doing a lot of spreadsheets or editing/commenting on lengthy documents I think I'd probably still need a laptop but absent those activities, the iPad Pro more than meets all my needs. In fact using a wireless keyboard (I use the same one for my iMac desktop) makes the editing and writing (and I write quite a bit) very easy. Spreadsheets would still be an issue though......but spreadsheet days are over. B)

Just had a new battery put in a 6 by the genius bar dudes. Cost all of $32 dollars. Wasted more time/energy just driving/parking in the mall where they were located. Well worth the slight extra to have them do it all.

YMMV, of course.

On 6/10/2018 at 12:37 PM, billy backstay said:

So, for 13 bucks on Amazon, I got a new battery, tool kit and instructions to change out the battery myself.  I was intially afraid to do this myself, but after watching some Youtube videos, I am now confident that I can DIY this.  But now, people are telling me that any 3rd party work on the phone, not done by an authorized Apple servicer, will disable phone features?  Anyone else had this situation?  Daughter has a similar 5s to mine, and she had a 3rd party replace the screen.  It worked fine a first, but the next time she updated the IOS, it disabled her finger touch lock.  I don't much care if I lose that feature, as its not a big deal to enter my 4 digit code to unlock, but now I am worried about other features possibly being disabled?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts, experiences or advice!!

just remember, when in doubt, use the BFH 

2 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

just remember, when in doubt, use the BFH 

Big Fucking Hammer to change out a phone battery, WTF????

I have changed batteries on a couple of phones, one was a Motorola Razr, don't remember the other one - watch a Ytube, get the little plastic tools and take your time. The first one was challenging, the 2nd no big deal. All phones come apart, some just easier than others.  I almost changed the glass on my old Galaxy 4, highly recommended to get the thermal gun to monitor the heat (too much and could damage the lcd, too little and the glue doesn't come off) but just decided was time to get another phone.  FWIW I have a Moto g5 Plus, had for almost a year and really love it - battery always last all day and it does everything I want. Some days I am running google maps nav for hours and battery still good.  It was $190 refurb.  I put a $2 rubber cover on it, have dropped a couple of times and not a scratch.

I headed out today to buy an iPhone X. 

I couldn't do it. Its not the $$, its just that the 6 is still working just fine.

Cheap bastard I am................