• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
dachopper

Sydney to Hobart 2017

Yep they'll sure kick all the 40's footers asses!

Not so sure about the 50's though ;)

Yep they'll sure kick all the 40's footers asses!

Not so sure about the 50's though ;)

Well, they still beat a volvo 60, cookson 50 and tp52 over the line in the Middle sea race.

The only thing that beat it in the 50 foot range was a single cookson 50.

They were actually 3rd over the line behind the pearl and Alive, and 3rd over the line in the transat behind leopard100 and Marten 72, and 8th in the Rolex middle sea behind a cookson50, som 60/70 and 100 footers, never beaten by a smaller boat, and still not sailing at full potential.... huge upward vector for those guys in the future.

Better start up a S2H 2018 thread before someone else grabs it

Jealousy - the best form of flattery

More like sympathy, champ

More like sympathy, chump

Fixed

More like sympathy, chump

Fixed

That's funny!

9 hours and 20 minutes to the start...

I would not have sailed with my dragon.

But hey,, there are no dragons in the fleet because they are too old fashioned.

Chop, if Maverick beats Ichi Ban(if they take the 52), Balance, Victoire or a comparable competitive TP52/Cookson at next years hobart I will mail you a bottle of rum of reasonable quality..deal?

Chop, if Maverick beats Ichi Ban(if they take the 52), Balance, Victoire or a comparable competitive TP52/Cookson at next years hobart I will mail you a bottle of rum of reasonable quality..deal?

For Maverick to beat them, he will have to average 13% faster for it's length than the current best 52 foot race yachts out there - so yeah that would be quite an achievement - considering if the race is less that 50% foiling - ( impossible to know now ) his speed on the foils would need to be more like 30% faster.

They did say they had higher tracker speeds than any other yacht in their vicinity in one of the races, when the wind favored the foiling 14.7 kt 6 hr average in 17kts of breeze VMG running I suppose

They had a rough RORC event overall with a BlownA2, A1.5, and unfavorable conditions for a lot of the race, have to see how their next one goes.

For Maverick to beat them, he will have to average 13% faster for it's length than the current best 52 foot race yachts out there - so yeah that would be quite an achievement - considering if the race is less that 50% foiling - ( impossible to know now ) his speed on the foils would need to be more like 30% faster.

They did say they had higher tracker speeds than any other yacht in their vicinity in one of the races, when the wind favored the foiling 14.7 kt 6 hr average in 17kts of breeze VMG running I suppose

They had a rough RORC event overall with a BlownA2, A1.5, and unfavorable conditions for a lot of the race, have to see how their next one goes.

Shredding kites is not just bad luck... sail handling issues aren't excuses to the performance of a boat. Just saying.

The only reason I bring up the 52s or Cookson 50's is that's what you've been comparing it to. We could do a similar bet with Patrice(Ker 46) or The Goat(Rogers 46).

Shredding kites is not just bad luck... sail handling issues aren't excuses to the performance of a boat. Just saying.

The only reason I bring up the 52s or Cookson 50's is that's what you've been comparing it to. We could do a similar bet with Patrice(Ker 46) or The Goat(Rogers 46).

You have to have the right sail to get the performance though, and this boat is clearly suited to be faster in particular circumstances than conventional designs.

just like WO retiring when they blew their mainsail out. No main = no game, would be the same for the 52's also I would imagine

So the big C might be coming back

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/sailing/possible-comanche-return-in-2017-can-set-new-sydney-to-hobart-benchmark-20161223-gthkun.html

Checkout what Jimmy also said :

"It's just a matter of time before they allow multihulls in the Sydney to Hobart race, I mean in my mind, who doesn't want to go faster," Spithill said.

"We faced a lot of traditionalists and people dead against going to multihulls and foiling. Once people saw it and experienced it, the amount of new fans we have now because it's so exciting and visual, and there's some risk there, I mean there's no turning back.

"You talk about race records for a monohull for a Sydney to Hobart race. If and when multihulls are introduced, then we'll see some records.

"You're not taking away, I think it's just adding a different class and a different discipline that's out there. It's just a matter of time."

If anything, I think that this year's race makes multis less likely in the forseeable future.

The sustainable speeds of the 100s is getting closer and closer to the multis and there is a growing contingent of very fast "mini maxis" that can achieve similar speeds.

These guys would be very loathe to have the focus shift to the multis and I cannot see that it adds much to the event.

This coupled with no large multi scene in OZ makes me think that multis are a long way off.

My prediction is a growth in 60-80ft mono foilers

If anything, I think that this year's race makes multis less likely in the forseeable future.

The sustainable speeds of the 100s is getting closer and closer to the multis and there is a growing contingent of very fast "mini maxis" that can achieve similar speeds.

These guys would be very loathe to have the focus shift to the multis and I cannot see that it adds much to the event.

This coupled with no large multi scene in OZ makes me think that multis are a long way off.

My prediction is a growth in 60-80ft mono foilers

Current maxi going around the world has averaged 36 knots. Wild oats in the Kepple race were patting themselves on the back for averaging 22knots over only 400 miles..... Mono's still have a long way to go

Yes, but RTW you get to choose route and angle and dealing with deep ocean sea states, not coastal swell.

Not sure that a big tri would be that much faster point to point in a Hobart. Probably faster, but not so mind-blowingly faster that there would be any groundswell demand from the locals to allow multis. You may be able to attract an overseas marquee boat from time to time, but it is a huge investment in time an money for one of these teams to be the trailblazer.

It's not like the Fastnet, where the big tris live near by.

"It's just a matter of time before they allow multihulls in the Sydney to Hobart race, I mean in my mind, who doesn't want to go faster," Spithill said.

Sorry Jimmy - we don't all want to go faster over that course length.

Some of us like having a race that takes 3 or more days of possibly hard slog with a team that can work together.

Ocean racing vs. round the cans

Mountaineering vs. sport climbing

Marathon vs. 100m

or have we gone too far down the rabbit hole of instant gratification ?

Yes, but RTW you get to choose route and angle and dealing with deep ocean sea states, not coastal swell.

Not sure that a big tri would be that much faster point to point in a Hobart. Probably faster, but not so mind-blowingly faster that there would be any groundswell demand from the locals to allow multis. You may be able to attract an overseas marquee boat from time to time, but it is a huge investment in time an money for one of these teams to be the trailblazer.

It's not like the Fastnet, where the big tris live near by.

agree -- just how much faster does an Orma go in 30kn and 5m seas upwind ?

I think the only way Mulits will end up in the S2H is not top down, but bottom up, where (or if) a strong local offshore racing fleet of smaller multis (cruiser racer types) has developed and a fair smattering of CYCA members are racing them.

Other than that, can't see it happening.

Hope it will be a proper Hobart race, 2016 was the most boring ever, just a downwinder !

Yeah, dull, boring, no excitement at all. No broken masts, legs or teeth, no one even died. FFS lift your act 2017 Syd-Hobart sailors, your armchair audience is in dire danger of nodding off.

Hope it will be a proper Hobart race, 2016 was the most boring ever, just a downwinder !

Yeah, dull, boring, no excitement at all. No broken masts, legs or teeth, no one even died. FFS lift your act 2017 Syd-Hobart sailors, your armchair audience is in dire danger of nodding off.

There was a broken mast....! The chinese team on Ark 323 (tp52 I think) broke it and finished the race under jury rig. It's a shame that the media doesn't pick up these stories, I believe that people would be intrigued by many of them. There are probably more stories than any of us know of.

Anyway, the chinese team tried to do the S2H in 2015, but met some bad weather during the delivery to Sydney and lost their bowman overboard. He was never found (afaik). The team decided to still do the race, sort of in his honour. Then they crashed with Ragamuffin 52 almost on the start line and had to retire. The boat was brought to Sydney City Marina, owned by Syd Fisher who also owned the Ragamuffin 52. The chinese protested them and won, and of course the crew on Ragamuffin were devastated and didn't agree. They had a very nice result in the race and found out about this during their celebration in Hobart. I'm pretty sure that Syd offered to repair the chinese boat for free if they dropped the protest - but they didn't. So they fixed the boat and went for a new go this December, only to break their mast...I guess no boat wanted to finish more than this chinese team.

I think the only way Mulits will end up in the S2H is not top down, but bottom up, where (or if) a strong local offshore racing fleet of smaller multis (cruiser racer types) has developed and a fair smattering of CYCA members are racing them.

Unfortunately there won't be much investment in multis' on the hope that they will eventually be included. Over time, these pesky baby boomers blocking the way will fall off the perch permitting some more progressive people to take ownership of the race. Until then ... well, there's always rum.

There was a broken mast....! The chinese team on Ark 323 (tp52 I think) broke it and finished the race under jury rig. It's a shame that the media doesn't pick up these stories, I believe that people would be intrigued by many of them. There are probably more stories than any of us know of.

Anyway, the chinese team tried to do the S2H in 2015, but met some bad weather during the delivery to Sydney and lost their bowman overboard. He was never found (afaik). The team decided to still do the race, sort of in his honour. Then they crashed with Ragamuffin 52 almost on the start line and had to retire. The boat was brought to Sydney City Marina, owned by Syd Fisher who also owned the Ragamuffin 52. The chinese protested them and won, and of course the crew on Ragamuffin were devastated and didn't agree. They had a very nice result in the race and found out about this during their celebration in Hobart. I'm pretty sure that Syd offered to repair the chinese boat for free if they dropped the protest - but they didn't. So they fixed the boat and went for a new go this December, only to break their mast...I guess no boat wanted to finish more than this chinese team.

Part of me hopes that Syd was halfway up their mast with a hacksaw late at night as revenge for fucking with his boat's result.

Part of me hopes that Syd was halfway up their mast with a hacksaw late at night as revenge for fucking with his boat's result.

I'm sure he'd love to do that if he was a bit more athletic.

After rounding our mark off Porto Cervo, we bore away into the Maddalena channel and finally we got the elusive call, 'Deploy the foil!' We hoisted a jib-top and started shaking reefs. For the following two hours, we blasted through one of the most spectacular racecourses in the world, affectionately known as 'Bomb Alley', with the sun rising in a perfect background. We topped out at 21.8 kts and the boat felt stable and capable of more. We later heard that Rambler 88's max speed was 22 kts...say no more.

boom broke basically above vang

:ph34r:

Which is technically incorrect,

The Vang is used for gaff rigged yachts.

Source: http://www.dictionary.com/browse/vang

Are you sure about it. Which yacht we are talking?

In general.. it's bull shit.

Top rigged yachts are rulling since a lot of time.

Top four yachts: Perpentual Loyal, Scallywag, SQS and WOXI.

Are they gaff rigged?

Says something...

Do you have one example where the boom breaks above the vang where it is proved to be technically correct?

Like to hear from you "Trim on"...

post-17796-0-99211200-1485700767_thumb.jpg

post-17796-0-37156500-1485700803_thumb.jpg

post-17796-0-89154800-1485700824_thumb.jpg

post-17796-0-97087000-1485700843_thumb.jpg

Are they gaff rigged?

Says something...

Do you have one example where the boom breaks above the vang where it is proved to be technically correct?

Perpentual Loyal 6.jpg

Scallywag 2.jpg

cqs 3.jpg

Alt_Bob Oatleywith wine in handalong with family and friends salutes Wild Oats XI.jpg

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/vang

A vang may be for a gaff technically and historically, but a "boom vang" is surprisingly meant for the boom.

Are they gaff rigged?

Says something...

Perpentual Loyal 6.jpg

Scallywag 2.jpg

cqs 3.jpg

Alt_Bob Oatleywith wine in handalong with family and friends salutes Wild Oats XI.jpg

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/vang

A vang may be for a gaff technically and historically, but a "boom vang" is surprisingly meant for the boom.

Explain please,.. one thing completely differtent:

Have you seen the final between Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal?

At the australian open.

It's top adience. Some thing the Ac is too lame for.

post-17796-0-66075500-1485705355_thumb.jpg

Are they gaff rigged?

Says something...

attachicon.gifPerpentual Loyal 6.jpg

attachicon.gifScallywag 2.jpg

attachicon.gifcqs 3.jpg

attachicon.gifAlt_Bob Oatleywith wine in handalong with family and friends salutes Wild Oats XI.jpg

Shut up, you fucking insane muppet.

Are they gaff rigged?

Says something...

attachicon.gifPerpentual Loyal 6.jpg

attachicon.gifScallywag 2.jpg

attachicon.gifcqs 3.jpg

attachicon.gifAlt_Bob Oatleywith wine in handalong with family and friends salutes Wild Oats XI.jpg

Shut up, you fucking insane muppet.

Nicely put. 😊

After rounding our mark off Porto Cervo, we bore away into the Maddalena channel and finally we got the elusive call, 'Deploy the foil!' We hoisted a jib-top and started shaking reefs. For the following two hours, we blasted through one of the most spectacular racecourses in the world, affectionately known as 'Bomb Alley', with the sun rising in a perfect background. We topped out at 21.8 kts and the boat felt stable and capable of more. We later heard that Rambler 88's max speed was 22 kts...say no more.

Say no more... except for the fact that rambler went through several hours prior in different breeze... Top Speed is never a good indicator, averages win races. Get a clue.

Sometimes I wonder if you've ever been on a boat. Of course they all have vangs.

Sometimes I wonder if you've ever been on a boat. Of course they all have vangs.

No they don't. Because of their wide traveler tracks, few multihulls have vangs...

Say no more... except for the fact that rambler went through several hours prior in different breeze... Top Speed is never a good indicator, averages win races. Get a clue.

+1

No they don't. Because of their wide traveler tracks, few multihulls have vangs...

Maybe you could name those multis that made it to Hobart?

Very funny!

Bottom up, try the massive multihull entry list for the Pittwater to Surfers (Coffs) race - a big fat 0

Bottom up, try the massive multihull entry list for the Pittwater to Surfers (Coffs) race - a big fat 0

Same with the Keppel race. Only one Multi has entered since we invited them 3 years ago.

Same with the Keppel race. Only one Multi has entered since we invited them 3 years ago.

yeh - but but.. - oh.. wait.

Other than Sean Langman (and his crew) , there are no CYCA members racing multis that I know of.

And it isn't happening any time soon.

What's the goss on RAGS 90' who owns it now? Seems like it would make a good race for Ludde. & Loyal, Bell would have been crazy not to take best offer after the record? 

Grapevine tells me Comanche has an interesting shipping itinerary... 

This S2H promo has just hit the deck. Comanche, WOXI and Black Jack will be an arm wrestle. The Indian pretty chuffed after just smoking the Transpac record.

To finish first, first you have to finish...B)

54 minutes ago, PIL007 said:

Announcement due after southport...... Multi division is expected for the Hobart......

Elvis Presley is being celebrated as first entrant

8 minutes ago, DickDastardly said:

Now that's just bull shit Dick.........   It's actually DouG LorD on his FirE ArroW

and the singlehanded division will be announced the week afterwards.

And in a move designed to encourage more women to participate in their offshore classic, CYCA will soon announce that all entrants must have at least two bona fide women on board for every seven men. All women will be physically checked to ensure there's no funny business. Applicants for the role of Sex Veracity Checkers are requested to go to Watsons Bay. The physical checks will take place at CYCA New Beach Rd, Rushcutters Bay but the end of the queue for applicants is currently at Watsons Bay.

Defibrillator to Scallywag, defibrillator to Scallywag...

Unfortunately Scallywag are busy this year but they will lobby for the rule to be optional for overseas entrants.

8 hours ago, PIL007 said:

Announcement due after southport...... Multi division is expected for the Hobart......

7 hours ago, DickDastardly said:

4 hours ago, DtM said:

and the singlehanded division will be announced the week afterwards.

The rumour around the CYCA is that Elvis will be racing a multi solo in the 2017 S2H

4 hours ago, Last Post said:

And in a move designed to encourage more women to participate in their offshore classic, CYCA will soon announce that all entrants must have at least two bona fide women on board for every seven men. All women will be physically checked to ensure there's no funny business. Applicants for the role of Sex Veracity Checkers are requested to go to Watsons Bay. The physical checks will take place at CYCA New Beach Rd, Rushcutters Bay but the end of the queue for applicants is currently at Watsons Bay.

Defibrillator to Scallywag, defibrillator to Scallywag...

Also there must be at least one crew member from the LGBTQI community as part of the crew

4 hours ago, hoppy said:

The rumour around the CYCA is that Elvis will be racing a multi solo in the 2017 S2H

And 30% of him is female

10 hours ago, SCANAS said:

Comanche on the move. Next stop Brisbane. 

Wow, that'd be an epic trip, 4000Nm.

Did WOXI sail home from there or get a lift?

Not sure about WOXI but Rags (Scallywag) sailed there and back.

Rags100 sailed there & back

WOXI was shipped there & sailed back IIRC

On 7/18/2017 at 9:03 PM, SCANAS said:

Comanche on the move. Next stop Brisbane. 

It will need to take Pilot at the fairway buoy. 

On 7/19/2017 at 7:56 AM, Ockaroo said:

Wow, that'd be an epic trip, 4000Nm.

Did WOXI sail home from there or get a lift?

40ft-45ft boats were regularly sailed from Australia to Hawaii for Clipper &  Kenwood Cups back in the day. Way too costly to ship them. Return trips were legendary. (RIP Budgerigar)