dachopper

Sydney to Hobart 2017

So the three main models are reasonably consistent up until early on 29th then all are very different.

Early this morning you wanted to be a small class 2 boat (Smuggler, Patrice) to get the best of it.

Not sure the First 40s will go fast enough to Maria.

Still a tough call,

People in this thread seem to often forget that doing the Hobart and not winning is still better than not doing it at all. Owners and their crews are following their dreams and giving it a go. It's a great challenge to get to the start line and the race provides a test for boats and crews.

For those of you doing the great race - good luck and see you at the Customs House.

For those of you not doing it - have an enjoyable break.

For the haters and armchair experts - ***chuckle***

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Slingsby skippering Infotrack....owner pretty keen on nabbing turning mark honours.

What’s the prize for that? 

Yep dunc, writers keep the world turning. Lisa Ratcliff (husband was on Mercedes in 98 and finished) and freelance journo/writer has got a ride on Kialoa II.

7 minutes ago, sunseeker said:

What’s the prize for that? 

Award for pissing Richo and the Big Fella off big time. For WOXI it is the "At least we made it this far Prize".

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, FromTheRail said:

Chutzpah moving up, now at 51/1 from 91/1

meaningless.

I'm with sugarscoop  - Calzone in that speed/length bracket.

EDIT: ok - they're not anywhere near each other.  Chutzpah should do good, but there's some hot 40's/46's which will worry them.

4 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

The Australian today. 8 page Sports liftout, 4 of them devoted to the 100 footers. That must be a record.

2 minutes ago, SCANAS said:

Jack is home for Xmas?

He is above ground again. His mother needed the basement for the Christmas guests. 

25 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

The Australian today. 8 page Sports liftout, 4 of them devoted to the 100 footers. That must be a record.

Actually no and the most diverse I have read in a long time. Some good stuff there.

I'd have to give up my life as a rodeo clown Jack. I'm damn good at putting on my makeup these days. 

LB I sensed a dusturbance in the force! 

2 hours ago, FromTheRail said:

Chutzpah moving up, now at 51/1 from 91/1

There are a lot of better boats ahead of them for handicap so $51 is about right. The favourite is at $5.50. Anything can happen though so they are a chance just like 50% of the fleet.

TP's, Beau Geste (?), Comanche, Info,  Wizard and BJ will all do well in heavy downwind.

What the real questions are for handicap: how to they rate (eg, I'd toss out the indian on rating), and who will arrive in the river at the right time.

Forecasts are saying the slower 45 and below will see a southerly (or sorts) on the Tassie coast.

It might be more of a Cookson 50 or 46-50 footer / Chutzpah race if they can turn the corner before that change comes through. There's some much better odds in that range of boats - a few quiet achievers who aren't on the media radar.

Here's midday on the 28th according to ECMWF, BOM is similar, but GFS has Northerlies until the 30th.

28th-midday-ECMWF.png.3409554f99a3119f2834c441d821e5e0.png

There's some well sailed mid 40's boats too. Smuggler, Concubine, Indian, Patrice. 

I'm going to go for Mascalzone Latino on for overall honors. 

Yeah around 50 (or maybe a bigger downwind flyer like a V70) will take the cake. I think on latest, it could be a race record. dream run down the straight to the corner...

42 minutes ago, Tropical Madness said:

Yeah around 50 (or maybe a bigger downwind flyer like a V70) will take the cake.

Except there are no V70's in it. WOX  the RP66 seems to have slipped off everyone's Tattersalls radar.

Looking like BJ weather early on and then like Wild Oats 2nd stage. If Comanche is anywhere near these 2 or in front it should get to Storm Bay 1st and then who knows what happens from there? Fascinating a race as I can remember.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

Fascinating a race as I can remember.

And it hasn't even started yet.

35 minutes ago, SCANAS said:

Shame Scallywag can't do it. 

Would have been good if croakey or sean langman could have had it here in time to charter it. Would be interesting to see that boat sailed properly to see if it can shake up the other maxis. 

• Like 1

I think they sail it well they just do some interesting routing. 

29 minutes ago, Sugarscoop said:

Would have been good if croakey or sean langman could have had it here in time to charter it. Would be interesting to see that boat sailed properly to see if it can shake up the other maxis. 

+1 

Good to see the new CEO is as in touch as the last one.

Of course what are the chances that no crew member or family member has not put some money on Ichi.

Lastly, this thread fucks most of us as well.

I better fess up now.

20 minutes ago, duncan (the other one) said:

AS can bite my shiny metal arse.

They have made up their own rules based on WS 37.4.1

AS.thumb.png.2186505ee3541072fa4b7cecee36c6bf.png

I’d guess that is as much from WS as it is AS.

Both organizations can go suck Trumps shit encrusted cock.

Betting is going to happen. If a sailor throws a race for money, his peers will run him out of the sport for life with no help needed or wanted by WS or AS.

As for family members betting, well fuck you WS, like how exactly do you have jurisdiction over them?

This is pretty funny, the banner on the Sportsbet site is a 470 from the 2011 ISAF worlds in Perth.

Given the bookies give odds that mostly reflect the money placed by the punters, ICHI 52 leads the handicap betting.

Interesting no-one has placed much money on Brucey boy and Chutzpah given the odds at present.

43 minutes ago, sunseeker said:

As for family members betting, well fuck you WS, like how exactly do you have jurisdiction over them?

exactly. AS made that bit up themselves and it would not hold up in anything but a kangaroo court.

I just backed Comanche for first out the heads at $2.25. Easy money.

It's $2.10 for line honours after two days of sailing.

Sav $2.25 easy money...is that a knock on your door I hear and some blokes in white trampling your roses out the front and a Swat team out the back??? escape man while you can....your arse will perish in pwison.

• Like 1

“It is important that we work together on this issue to ensure our sport retains the good reputation as an ethical and honourable sport. To that end, if we can provide any additional guidance on this issue, please don't hesitate to let me know.

Thanks in advance for your support on this matter.”

Interesting last sentence from that letter. A.S. being part of W.S. may like to open a can of worms and answer some questions posed here as to anti corruption in OUR sport!

https://isafcorruption.wordpress.com/

Meanwhile using your/our, Appendix 5. Betting and anti corruption code,

http://www.sailing.org/tools/documents/2017AntiBettingCorruptionCodeRegulation37-[21730].pdf

I would like to draw your attention to rule 37.1

If you found the need to send out this letter, then are you aware of any “infringements”, as betting has been allowed on the S to H for a number of years. Have you informed the C.E.O. of W.S. of any violation as per 37.5 or do you believe that this year will be a cheat free race, do you believe that previous races have been subject to cheating for gambling gain?

If yes, then why haven't members been informed of any investigations / results.

Full disclosure, we, (naughty, naughty gambling syndicate of 4 with a $50 buy in), won on Loyal last year. Anthony Bell was rumoured to have told his crew to “Drive it like you stole it”, was this bad...

We will be placing a bet this year, because you extensive list in 37.2.2 does not mention “mates”.

I am however concerned that 37.2.4 may make redundant, the speculator of a jug or 10 of bundy or beer, obsolete,

THANKS FOR TAKING THAT FUN OUT OF THE SPORT!!

Oh, against the spirit of xmas, I will not infringe 37.4.4 b, by asking any of my friends competing “HOW ARE YOU?” because if they say something to the words of “fine”, then that could be reason to back them..

Good luck to all competitors in all races everywhere this holiday period!!

But think twice before you have that jug bet..

• Like 2

Heading up to Woolwich tomorrow morning to sneak a peak at Oats and the indian.  Any other recommendations for marinas to check out with a few of the other big boats?

Took a quick stroll around CYCA this afternoon and will be back tomorrow.  Dorade has a great parking spot right in front of the club.  Chutzpah, Ichi Ban, and a few others are a short walk down the same dock.

6 hours ago, SCANAS said:

Shame Scallywag can't do it. 

...with a bit of planning, Witty could have pulled it off!  ...it's christmas break in the VOrace  :rolleyes:

What's the word on Wild Oats?

Last I saw Oats was still racing.  Test sail went well earlier this week, and they were at the pressers today.  They talk about the lighting strike around 7 minutes in.

Credit to Nic (Adventures of a Sailor Girl):

Edited by fargoford
add content

3 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Sav $2.25 easy money...is that a knock on your door I hear and some blokes in white trampling your roses out the front and a Swat team out the back??? escape man while you can....your arse will perish in pwison.

Anything over 7 knots and Comanche will be first out.

That doesn't mean it will win line honours.

I always cheer for WOXI, I've always liked the look of the RP boats & WOIX, WOX & WOXI even poor old Q, are all fantastic looking boats. My ex worked for them for a while & she never said a bad word about them. 

You have to admire their dedication, having all the boats built, the money changing hands. Billionaire's get a hard time for dodging tax ( boo hoo right ) but the stimulus they put into the economy, not just in sailing, is massive. I also admire Bob & Mark Richards business acumen. Richards is obviously very loyal & grateful for their support, you can't buy that, you have to earn it. You can amble up to Richards & he will engage in a conversation. He must get sick of that, but always does. 

Bj obviously helping out with some parts this time & Oatleys have always done the same, masts, keels etc etc

They sometimes get a bashing for only doing this race but that's not true, transpac, 2 x maxi worlds, admirals cup,  pitwater, Coffs, Keppel, Hammo its always great to see a massive yacht like that come past. You can hear their winches from 500m away! Not WOXI but here's a video off Shaggy's POGO - you get the idea. 

I would have liked to see them keep it original & not do the latest cut & shut, seems to me that trying to beat / enhance its chances V Comanches strongest point was pretty silly. But I guess they have decades of data to back up a typical Hobart race, weather wise. 

Id say the ratio of guys with grey hair is also pretty high on WOXI for a top team and you can't forget Bob telling Roger Hickman not to bother with the 2nd payment for Wildoats/rose. 

On 12/21/2017 at 5:41 PM, lydia said:

Clearly you are just a newbie fuckwit.

And of course your own boat has a much better Hobart record.

Lydia address me as  Skipper Fuckwit thank you, and next time you are on watch while I am driving into a southerly, you will be at the front on the rail, and BTW yes the boats I have sailed to Hobart do have a better record. Smoke that c##t face.

• Downvote 2

3 hours ago, fargoford said:

Last I saw Oats was still racing.  Test sail went well earlier this week, and they were at the pressers today.  They talk about the lighting strike around 7 minutes in.

Credit to Nic (Adventures of a Sailor Girl):

Clearly Christian Beck doesn't care about the re sale value of his boat? Ricco his usual self, Mark Bradford speaks so well. Pity the conditions weren't a bit different reckon Infotrack would be up there but Comanche is king in the breeze. Ricco eluded to now knowing how much better the Big Indian is in the lighter conditions, we'll find out soon. Comanche will need to get her 25 x degree heal up early to stay anywhere the VMG kings. Reckon these conditions in the second half will suit Wild Oats XI.

I'd say it'll be Comanche's weather. Flying all the pro's in seems a bit like someone else taking your boat out for a spin & inviting you to come though. Drop in the ocean i know. 

Rio 100

Scallywag

CQS

RAGS 90

La' Bête (Alfa 90) 

Bring em all back!

Chutzpah got 2nd overall. Lydia asked if his own boat had a better record in the Hobart. So which boat does / did Apparentlee own that came 1st overall?

Would somebody be so kind to provide the VPN link to the live broadcast of the race start? Thanks and Merry Christmas!

Almost time. Still behind Commanche for line honors. I hope WOXI is sorted out after the lightning strike and is pushing the other maxis to the finish. Dorade  still my sentimental pick for Tattersall.

4 hours ago, hoppy said:

It is a shame Scallywag could not race and for a laugh it would have been good if CQS was here also.

...clearly lazy, or those boys could jump on a jet to Sydney, change their fowlies and get-er DONE!!  :)

11 hours ago, duncan (the other one) said:

exactly. AS made that bit up themselves and it would not hold up in anything but a kangaroo court.

Unfortunately, WS and the MNA’s do run kangaroo courts. But let them fuck with someone’s eligibility to sail and then take them into a real court. 

7 hours ago, Apparent Lee said:

Lydia address me as  Skipper Fuckwit thank you, and next time you are on watch while I am driving into a southerly, you will be at the front on the rail, and BTW yes the boats I have sailed to Hobart do have a better record. Smoke that c##t face.

And there you have it, no mention of owning the boat, paying for the boat with his own money or making all the decisions about the boat or doing it for 30 something years through seven boats.

As I said, newbie fuckwit.

Is there a book on the bar fights? The BB boys have strengthened their line up adding BG to the card. And Sugar Ray W will be all fired up. 

1 minute ago, LB 15 said:

Is there a book on the bar fights? The BB boys have strengthened their line up adding BG to the card. And Sugar Ray W will be all fired up. 

LB. As you know Hobart is a historical and beautiful port city full of civilized people.

Fine wine, fine food and a very friendly local constabulary.

Unlike Central Queensland!

I just hope the crew of Beach Ball are ok. Not one of them have posted on face book for nearly 4 hours now. Are ladbrokes running a book on the most attention whoreing trophy?

11 hours ago, hoppy said:

Forget who you think will win the maxi battle, who would you like to see win

BJ simply because of the purity of design - still same same boat that rolled out of McC way back when (arselift not withstanding).

Always had a soft spot for SpamblerTrack MoneyLoyal as well, never really filled her potential as a VOR100 but last year showed what the package was capable of. 

13 hours ago, fargoford said:

Heading up to Woolwich tomorrow morning to sneak a peak at Oats and the indian.  Any other recommendations for marinas to check out with a few of the other big boats?

Took a quick stroll around CYCA this afternoon and will be back tomorrow.  Dorade has a great parking spot right in front of the club.  Chutzpah, Ichi Ban, and a few others are a short walk down the same dock.

the Ichi Ban on the CYCA marina is the 60 not the TP52 doing the race.

Any theories on how Black Jack will fare VMG running against the other big boys? She's got less righting moment and sail area than WOXI, let alone the other two 100's. But she's also much lighter. I remember many being surprised when WOXI went lower and (significantly) faster than Loyal (Infotrack) in big breeze the first time those two matched up. Trying to run deep in a lot of breeze Black Jack may be able to hang on to the more powerful boats.

26 minutes ago, Captain Jack Sparrow said:

Any theories on how Black Jack will fare VMG running against the other big boys? She's got less righting moment and sail area than WOXI, let alone the other two 100's. But she's also much lighter. I remember many being surprised when WOXI went lower and (significantly) faster than Loyal (Infotrack) in big breeze the first time those two matched up. Trying to run deep in a lot of breeze Black Jack may be able to hang on to the more powerful boats.

Agree.  BJ is over a ton lighter than WOXI and with the shorter fin and tricky bulb will have a lot less drag

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Captain Jack Sparrow said:

much better against the Indian and InfoSpeedLoyalRambler..  a little less so against WO.

Mr Addis on BJ says as much himself.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=sydney+hobart

BJ will be first to put a reef in though. WOXI has a finer bow shouldn't nosedive / pitch as much as BJ. 

31 minutes ago, SCANAS said:

BJ will be first to put a reef in though. WOXI has a finer bow shouldn't nosedive / pitch as much as BJ. 

Wouldn't a more voluminous bow be less prone to nosediving? Also BJ has less draft and doesn't she have a slightly shorter rig? 

I'm not sure about the height difference on the rigs, shorter keel & slightly smaller bulb. WOXI is onto their 3rd rig though (replaced one after Maxi's & upgraded to a new one again later ) so have to be a lighter than the original even if it was 1-2m taller. 

12 hours ago, SCANAS said:

I'd say it'll be Comanche's weather. Flying all the pro's in seems a bit like someone else taking your boat out for a spin & inviting you to come though. Drop in the ocean i know. 

Rio 100

Scallywag

CQS

RAGS 90

La' Bête (Alfa 90) 

Bring em all back!

SCANAS

In your list of other good boats you forgot to add 2 boats 

If we added the Leopard 100 and Wild Thing to the mix how good would that of been.

Just what think what Warro would of come up with. Wild Oats and a lightening strike, Rob Mundle needs a lesson in PR from Warro or the late Ian “Stripy” Grant. They know how to come up with a great story and keep it going to get he media spot light. 

Pulpit 

• Like 1

Yes forgot about those two. Leopard is pretty quick. Wild Thing - any word, Still in a shed in Europe?

42 minutes ago, SCANAS said:

I'm not sure about the height difference on the rigs, shorter keel & slightly smaller bulb. WOXI is onto their 3rd rig though (replaced one after Maxi's & upgraded to a new one again later ) so have to be a lighter than the original even if it was 1-2m taller. 

Ah good point. I forgot that the latest rig saved a huge amount of weight. Over 100kg IIRC. 

EDIT: apparently around 250kg saved in the new mast.  

http://www.yachtingworld.com/yachts-and-gear/wild-oats-xi-63434

2 minutes ago, SCANAS said:

Yes forgot about those two. Leopard is pretty quick. Wild Thing - any word, Still in a shed in Europe?

I’m told she is still in Europe and one owner is trying to piss off the other owner. 

I don’t think we will see her back in Oz in the near future. 

Pulpit

1 minute ago, pulpit said:

I’m told she is still in Europe and one owner is trying to piss off the other owner. 

I don’t think we will see her back in Oz in the near future. 

Pulpit

Price still own it?

I thought Price funded the 2012 mods & ended up with the boat for himself after he missed out on the sponsorship oppurtunites from not making the 2012 race. I noticed a year or so back that Price was in court in Brisbane & some of his businesses had been deregistered for GST. Not to say that is always a sign of wrongdoing but ... 

I went to the official Syd2Hb race site and I could not find a link to watch the start live.

I really want to watch it on the new 4K tele.

Do I just have to wait for the count down and they'll show it??

1 hour ago, Meat Wad said:

I went to the official Syd2Hb race site and I could not find a link to watch the start live.

I really want to watch it on the new 4K tele.

Do I just have to wait for the count down and they'll show it??

Best you'll get via TV is 1080 not 4k. Via online I think it's usually 720P. If you want to watch highlights via 4K punch in Crosbie Lorimer and they usually record in 4k.

meatwad, good luck...Not much even being filmed in 4K yet. But thanks for buying one of those TV's to bring the price down for the masses in a few years!