dachopper

Sydney to Hobart 2017

21 minutes ago, LionessRacing said:

Seems to be consensus that it was a pretty flagrant and unnecessary foul. 

A lot of ego in Ricco's decision making there. When do they find out re the penalty?

• Like 1

Just now, Couta said:

Was that the most lame advert ever? I snored thru the second part - but what i saw showed some pickle fork on stalled foils, then a nosedive and a clown trapeezing thru the air....barely foiling and nuthin super. Bring back the 18's with the "beep" free audio for a larf!

Yep I thought exactly the same thing.  If they are the solution ... what was the problem?

1 minute ago, terrafirma said:

A lot of ego in Ricco's decision making there. When do they find out re the penalty?

DSQ - left it too late to take a turn

1 minute ago, random said:

Read that, but it was a port starboard whatever the rules say.

I posted it so people could read about the potential penalties.  Hopefully everyone agrees it's clear-cut that WOXI is in the wrong.  I can't imagine anyone arguing otherwise successfully.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, LionessRacing said:

Seems to be consensus that it was a pretty flagrant and unnecessary foul. 

With a rank amateur start and a blatant P/S infringement....Ricko's hair is gunna need some touching up before Hobart town interviews........

3 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

I posted it so people could read about the potential penalties.  Hopefully everyone agrees it's clear-cut that WOXI is in the wrong.  I can't imagine anyone arguing otherwise successfully.

So the rules do not provide for DSQ, just a time penalty?

That means that it is possible to get a largish time penalty and still finish in front of the boat you infringed?

Spectacular scenes & cool boats....we in the colonies are grateful for any coverage we can get.  And you blokes get to watch foilers on TV?  Sheet!  Oh well, back to the endless drivel of hot rod car rebuild shows.

Youtube is showing: This video contains content from the PGA European Tour, who has blocked it on copyright grounds. 

Does anyone have a working link for the replay?

Get it together CYCA!

2 minutes ago, random said:

So the rules do not provide for DSQ, just a time penalty?

That means that it is possible to get a largish time penalty and still finish in front of the boat you infringed?

Jury can still dsq if they think it's warranted. WOXI could have done penalty turns and still beaten Commanche at Hobart, so no different than time penalty. Penalty is likely harsher than doing turns. 

Richo has never gotten over the fact that WOXI is no longer the top dog in the biting order in the StH and drives the boat with a large chip on his shoulder.

2 minutes ago, eastern motors said:

Anywhere to watch the start replay?

I think a replay will show up on YouTube.

20 minutes ago, LeKa said:

From the limited footage shown, I think WO may be ok. 

I take it there may be something in the amended regs you are aware of, I only had a very quick look.

Replay of incident definitely edited.  Agree straight P&S incident. From what we saw Comanche altered course to avoid WOX11.

Still disgusted at not only 7 coverage but media in general....don't they know anything about the Volvo ???? :angry:

Just about rum time......

Cheers,

Jim B)

1 minute ago, southerncross said:

See above. Looks like it got blocked by a bunch of golf blokes. 

3 minutes ago, yoyoboy said:

Jesus wtf is so hard about getting your video up

3 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Tom Addis/BJ only one in fleet going right of the thumb line...good call providing the breeze backs to schedule.

what's a thumb line ? sounds sexy.

3 minutes ago, RKoch said:

Jury can still dsq if they think it's warranted.

20.1  A boat which is found after a protest hearing to have infringed
a rule of
Part 2
of the
RRS
after the Preparatory Signal and prior to the boat clearing
the relevant seamark
(Mark Z/ Mark Y)
, shall receive a time penalty of not less than 5 minutes added to the
boat’s elapsed time.

"Shall", it says shall, not may.   The complicates the point by using May in ...

22.1  The International Jury may apply a scoring or time penalty in lieu of disqualification for an
infringement of a rule or sailing instruction, in accordance with SI 20

4 minutes ago, yoyoboy said:

Yeah , what's up with that? Doesn't look like golf to me.? Worked for a while here

10 minutes ago, southerncross said:

It was up, i replayed the incident several times on it.

Maybe Channel 7 have to edit it to take out the incriminating footage taken from WO that I saw.

8 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Tom Addis/BJ only one in fleet going right of the thumb line...good call providing the breeze backs to schedule.

I noticed that too. It's not like there is no breeze in there, must be missing something here.

Dorade is even with Kialoa II, both a bit north of Bondi Beach, ahead of 30+ boats.

^^

current , traditionally out a bit wider .

18 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

Jesus wtf is so hard about getting your video up

Idiot YT copywrite checking. I once loaded up a video with a song from an Aussie artist and they blocked it because of a copywrite infringement of some obscure German artist. I sent in a request to reassess it and it quickly came back.

2 minutes ago, Ozee Adventure said:

I found this one incase its blocking

Thanks. This is showing up everywhere, it's the full replay that isn't available. 

Out of all WOXI's options leading into and during that sequence, isn't tacking directly in front of Comanche the worst possible option? If she had held the cross, whether she fouled or not, it would have not put the boats as close as they came. Comanche would have ducked her and protested. I feel like that would have been more forgiveable. Deliberately tacking there just looked bad. 

• Like 2

Thanks for the replay.  so wtf, they were crossing clearly and tacked in exactly the only place that was fucked up?

8 minutes ago, ~HHN92~ said:

I think if Comanche does not alter they plant the prod up Richo's backside...

born out by their wake , WOXI is foked

19 minutes ago, Ozee Adventure said:

I found this one incase its blocking

That looks bad for WOXI.

24 minutes ago, ~HHN92~ said:

I think if Comanche does not alter they plant the prod up Richo's backside...

If the owner was driving that probably would have happened. A dick move in a small boat, in a 100' fuckin  dangerous and one that Richo doesn't want to own, despite the consequences in the protest room. Hope the jury serve him up a lesson.

meanwhile change at the top

WOXI ,

LDV Comanche

Black Jack

21 minutes ago, Captain Jack Sparrow said:

Out of all WOXI's options leading into and during that sequence, isn't tacking directly in front of Comanche the worst possible option? If she had held the cross, whether she fouled or not, it would have not put the boats as close as they came. Comanche would have ducked her and protested. I feel like that would have been more forgiveable. Deliberately tacking there just looked bad. 

last thing WOXI should have done was tack .

Looked like Richo panicked and did what he should have done a couple of boat-lengths prior. I don't think there was any method in the madness. 

Don't these WOXI guys actually ever sail boat for boat?  Or is all about tablets and targets and sail cross overs.  It was simple boat-for-boat stuff.  There were no trees coming out of the front of Comanche's jib.  Ergo, not crossing.  So have a plan.  Big duck going the right way or tack early and go the wrong way. Instead, the WOXI brain trust froze and sailed on hope.  And then panicked.  Not an impressive look.  

Seems like Spithill just might have timed his tack away from BJ to force WOXI make a decision.  That might have come from just a few previous bits of experience, no?  Challenge the abilities of the boat speed guys to actually race their boat?

1 minute ago, ALL@SEA said:

Looked like Richo panicked and did what he should have done a couple of boat-lengths prior. I don't think there was any method in the madness. 

I got the same feeling.  Thought he had it until they called starboard and threw one in.

deleted , vid was crap , not as advertised

WOXI also hit a pretty bad wave in the tack. They might have got away ok if not for basically stopping during the tack, sea-state is super lumpy. 

Comanche is already avoiding before WOXI's jib fills on STBD(you can see the forestay dive down to leeward pretty dramatically when it does). Dead to rights. 

I wonder what the off watch conversation is like between Richo & Iain Murray? AC race director should really know better. 

4 minutes ago, ALL@SEA said:

Looked like Richo panicked

Why??.. he had ooddles of time to sort that tack knowing they were clear and has been driving big boats for a while. It was deliberate as fuck. Not even Witt would try that stunt.

• Like 1

did oats take their penalty turn ? dropped off majorly , unless tracker is off .

It looks to me that WO completes his tack which then means Com is then the give way boat (clear astern).  Com then luffs to keep clear.   The tack is complete when she is on the new course not when the sails are filled.  No incident.

• Like 2

Comanche in front now. went from 200 metres behind to 2 miles ahead of Oats in a short time? Not sure how this happened? Could Oats have done a penalty turn or has this been ruled out already?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, shaggybaxter said:

Was that possibly the worlds worst attempt at a maxi to maxi lee bow move? 

Not the worst, but pretty bad.  easy cross, no?

• Like 2

Could have passed clear ahead and got away with that one.

Did he fuck-up a slam-dunk, or just panic?

Just now, Sailbydate said:

Could have passed clear ahead and got away with that one.

Did he fuck-up a slam-dunk, or just panic?

Yep.  That’s the question.

looks like Honey has seen the light , LDV Comanche has flopped and heading out

3 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Why??.. he had ooddles of time to sort that tack knowing they were clear and has been driving big boats for a while. It was deliberate as fuck. Not even Witt would try that stunt.

Deliberately trying to achieve what? I know they've done plenty of racing, and Richo's history of match racing (I've sailed but never raced big boats, and never mach raced, so am happy to be educated), but that was a horrible looking tack. Not doing their turns indicates they had some sort of plan though. 

9 minutes ago, trt131 said:

It looks to me that WO completes his tack which then means Com is then the give way boat (clear astern).  Com then luffs to keep clear.   The tack is complete when she is on the new course not when the sails are filled.  No incident.

I agree. Pretty hard to win a protest if you hit another boats transom which they might have done had they not reacted. No foul. 

However please page Brass. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ALL@SEA said:

Deliberately trying to achieve what? I

Stopping Comanche in its tracks by looking to avoid a port starboard and which if they tacked early, Comanche was gone. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mid said:

looks like Honey has seen the light , LDV Comanche has flopped and heading out

belay that , heading back now ?

obviously a lose as WOXI has the lead again

17 minutes ago, trt131 said:

You forget Comanche was forced to dip before WOXI tacked.

5 minutes ago, Mid said:

belay that , heading back now ?

Wild Oats is the one that has changed course. Currently sailing around 140.

It feels strange that there is only on V70 in the race, but given that 2 V70 owners from last year moved up to maxi's, it's not really a disappointment.

2 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

You forget Comanche was forced to dip before WOXI tacked.

Com was not forced to dip, they chose to dip to block the lee bow tack.  A standard move, but it did not stop WO from completing her tack.

• Like 2

^^^

Puts Comanche back in front

28 minutes ago, SCANAS said:

I wonder what the off watch conversation is like between Richo & Iain Murray? AC race director should really know better. 

Bit late for that conversation. Assume the Big Fella happy no penalty turn was needed.

2 hours ago, random said:

I have watched that incident multiple times now and it looks more blatant each time.  WO is fucked.

I thought the pit bull changed course after WOXI had started to tack to make it look worse

No paint was swapped, protest dismissed

Comanche at 19 knots now perhaps the breeze has picked up a little? Can't see Chutzpah listed in the line honours list?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, trt131 said:

Com was not forced to dip, they chose to dip to block the lee bow tack.  A standard move, but it did not stop WO from completing her tack.

Trouble it is not a lee bow ending particularly for 100' of 25 tonnes plus.  

BJ has snookered themselves inshore

(b) A boat which is found after a protest hearing to have infringed a rule of Part 2 of the RRS after the Preparatory Signal and prior to the boat clearing the relevant seamark (Mark Z/ Mark Y), shall receive a time penalty of not less than 5 minutes added to the boat’s elapsed time. 

From the sailing instructions

WilD OAtS WiLL bE DIsQuALifieD

no they won’t, and ill be willing to bet my left but that the time to the boat behind WOXI will be less than the chosen time

8 minutes ago, Rushman said:

I thought the pit bull changed course after WOXI had started to tack to make it look worse

No paint was swapped, protest dismissed

Nice spin you put on that.  "I thought  ..." doesn't cut it in the room.

No paint is required to be swapped for a protest.

looks like the shift is happening, the indian up to 22.5 , the angle is helping for sure. Oats at 19.5 at similar angle, and BJ at 14.9 tight reaching .

20 minutes ago, trt131 said:

Comanche started to take avoiding action simultaneous with WOXI initiating their tack because JS knew WOXI couldnt keep clear.  Here is a screen cap of the tack and this is the moment where COM starts to duck WOXI to avoid a collision.  Only an Aussie homer would think this was clean

WOXIFoul.jpg

• Like 2

I hope that WO is not pinged for that move, I just want their arses kicked fair and square.

I don't know who's at fault but consider: 

Rags OCS in 2012 

Alive getting drinking water taken out to them. 

Scallywag missing that mark in HK 

10 minutes ago, Mid said:

BJ has snookered themselves inshore

Addis has them changing course on the right side as though he is drunk at the wheel and the rhumb line is an electric fence. Weird.

7 minutes ago, SCANAS said:

I don't know who's at fault but consider: 

Rags OCS in 2012 

Alive getting drinking water taken out to them. 

Scallywag missing that mark in HK 

So?  Does that mean it was not a P/S?

3 minutes ago, random said:

So?  Does that mean it was not a P/S?

It means the jury will be too scared to act. 

Just now, SCANAS said:

It means the jury will be too scared to act. 

Don't care as long as the infringed boat beats them by hours anyway.  Or will WO "break something" again?