• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
dachopper

Sydney to Hobart 2017

21 minutes ago, duncan (the other one) said:

FIFY.

Haha

100 foot of maxi yacht - what could possibly go wrong 

15 hours ago, Jason AUS said:

Have much experience with that in your family, do you?

You beat me to it,  classy LB, really classy. 

:huh:

On 7/18/2017 at 5:59 PM, DtM said:

Not sure about WOXI but Rags (Scallywag) sailed there and back.

Plenty of boats sailed to Hawaii and back.

Two of the smaller Ragamuffins, one called Mary Muffin at the time, the first Impetuous, the Davidson Sweet Caroline. Two were sold over there, Bondi Tram and one of Jim Hardy's boats (whose name I forget but it had a pale blue hull).

News flash 

Arrived today the big Indian to Brisbane at Rivergate marina.

Oats and Black Jack still coming from finish of Sydney to Gold Coast and will be here later on today as well. 

Pulpit

IMG_1107.JPG

Yes SW are named as an entry for the Hobart and looking at the Volvo schedule I'm presuming Witt is working on a crew and programme now? Will be interesting to see who ends up running the boat etc. What's the deal on the new keel? 

Can someone please get a pic of the big three in Brisbane River, first time we've seen Black Jack 100, Wild Oats XI and Comanche together!

2 hours ago, terrafirma said:

Yes SW are named as an entry for the Hobart and looking at the Volvo schedule I'm presuming Witt is working on a crew and programme now? Will be interesting to see who ends up running the boat etc. What's the deal on the new keel? 

New keel has been cast, is now being milled.

Mark Richards will need to get his act together for the start this year. He was terrible last year. Don't shout he told the crew "Then a minute later he shouted the whole way out the heads and gave Iain Murray a spray for the call on the start at the pin end all on National TV" 

3 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Terra give him a break... just one swallow doesn't make a summer. 

Depends on how you look at it Jack? Did they finish the Hobart last year.? Karma waits for nobody....

On Monday, July 31, 2017 at 1:42 PM, pulpit said:

News flash 

Arrived today the big Indian to Brisbane at Rivergate marina.

Oats and Black Jack still coming from finish of Sydney to Gold Coast and will be here later on today as well. 

Pulpit

IMG_1107.JPG

Does anyone know if Comanche is still located at Rivergate Marina. I've got a short stop over on Tuesday and would like to go have a look at her.

3 hours ago, Doug2 said:

Does anyone know if Comanche is still located at Rivergate Marina. I've got a short stop over on Tuesday and would like to go have a look at her.

Yes she is still at Rivergate 

she is now on the hard stand for the next few months I'm told. 

Pulpit 

On 8/2/2017 at 4:49 PM, jack_sparrow said:

Terra give him a break... just one swallow doesn't make a summer. 

Especially not at the Glory Hole.

Anyone know why the CYCA does not include a 2 handed class in the S2H? or even the S2GC for that matter?

In the year leading up to a Melbourne 2 Osaka I'm sure a good portion of the M2O would want to enter the S2H and even the S2CG. At least one M2O entrant did the S2GC fully crewed and is now doing the B2K 2 handed.

1 minute ago, hoppy said:

Anyone know why the CYCA does not include a 2 handed class in the S2H? or even the S2GC for that matter?

In the year leading up to a Melbourne 2 Osaka I'm sure a good portion of the M2O would want to enter the S2H and even the S2CG. At least one M2O entrant did the S2GC fully crewed and is now doing the B2K 2 handed.

Seems logical to base a M2O boat out of Melbourne and do the Melbourne-Hobart West Coaster which has allowed two-handers to race for more than twenty years.

Hint: They're a little bit precious and protective of the integrity of "their" race in Sydney, apparently its harder.

23 hours ago, Last Post said:

Seems logical to base a M2O boat out of Melbourne and do the Melbourne-Hobart West Coaster which has allowed two-handers to race for more than twenty years.

Hint: They're a little bit precious and protective of the integrity of "their" race in Sydney, apparently its harder.

Good to know that that the westie is 2-hander but that seems very logical since it and the M2O are run by the ORCV. I thought Victoria had the reputation of the worst nanny state in Aus, but I guess the CYCA leads in the sailing world. I don't get why the S2H is a cat 1 rather than cat 2, after all in is mostly costal more so than the Fastnet is.

S2H perhaps needs 3 start times, multihull first, then the main fleet and finally the 2 handed. SSB optional if sat phone is fitted.

14 hours ago, Timmy Time said:

Can't confirm that, but l did speak to a friend down under who said Loyal was in Woollich last week being surveyed for sale.

Not sure that's relevant, wouldn't have expected AB would be in the market for something 5x more expensive right now...unless of course he was looking for somewhere to park a pile of cash for some reason...

49 minutes ago, DickDastardly said:

Not sure that's relevant, wouldn't have expected AB would be in the market for something 5x more expensive right now...unless of course he was looking for somewhere to park a pile of cash for some reason...

Somehow I dont think buying a Supermaxi is a way of parking cash, more of a way of losing it

4 minutes ago, Bill E Goat said:

Somehow I dont think buying a Supermaxi is a way of parking cash, more of a way of losing it

I'll grant you that but I doubt he'd want his toys chained to the dock in the current circumstances, wouldn't it be a bit unlikely he'd be buying a shiny new one?  But what do I know? He's a structurer by trade so perhaps he can but a new one and have it positioned safe from claims...

That said he never spent much on Loyal, just the bare minimum $ to do Hobart each season and the very occasonal race between so stepping up to the big Indian would be a stretch I'd imagine.

21 hours ago, Timmy Time said:

Can't confirm that, but l did speak to a friend down under who said Loyal was in Woollich last week being surveyed for sale.

Yep, def sold.

I'm guessing Bell will keep a low profile until the divorce is over. He won't want the missus' lawyers to see him splashing money around.

AB seems to have plenty of cash tied to docks - The $15M powerboat was parked at the boat show in sydney last week

I wonder if Langmen has bought Loyal? Kinda crazy shit he's known for. I'd say he probably would have made a move on RAGS100' when it went up if he was buying a supermaxi. 

He's gotta be sick of the old girl by now & like Harburg age wise probably wants to win one. 

Is Rags90 still at SCM? Who owns that these days. 

2 hours ago, Wildboats said:

AB seems to have plenty of cash tied to docks - The $15M powerboat was parked at the boat show in sydney last week

Problems of the 1%

Given what was spent on building Comanche I don't see any of the Australian buyers having that sort of coin. If Comanche was for sale she would be best off as the new Wild Oats.! 

Well, what's it worth. Sandy said they knocked back $5m for WOXI (indicating he thought it was a lot of money) wouldn't think it was worth double WOXI? Maybe if you imagine it'll stay current for a while (still got those J boards to fit yo!)

Can't see Oatleys buying one, you'd think WOX would be first to go. If C was sold to one of the Sydney players it'd be in Sydney. She's just enjoying some cheaper dockage up here I reckon. 

Comanche is the ideal boat for our Queensland races. You could put a boxing tent in the cockpit.

5 hours ago, SCANAS said:

Well, what's it worth. Sandy said they knocked back $5m for WOXI (indicating he thought it was a lot of money) wouldn't think it was worth double WOXI? Maybe if you imagine it'll stay current for a while (still got those J boards to fit yo!)

Can't see Oatleys buying one, you'd think WOX would be first to go. If C was sold to one of the Sydney players it'd be in Sydney. She's just enjoying some cheaper dockage up here I reckon. 

Comanche isn't for sale. 

The boat captain is a Queenslander and has come home for a few weeks before heading off to sail the J class before coming back in November to take the boat down to Sydney for the Hobart. 

Yes it's cheaper to leave the boat up here in Brisbane than in Sydney so what's your point. A program like this what's a few $1000 dollar in the overall running costs. With a boat that draws 6.8 m there isn't many places to be able to hard stand a boat like this anyway and Brisbane is a port of entry for boats coming from overseas. 

As as far as WOXI, why would the Oatley's want to up grade her. She is paid for and is still one of the fastest 100 footers around. Why change her, still plenty of life left in the old girl. 

Pulpit 

Not sure why you quoted me? You reiterated everything I said. ie it's just here for a rest, not for sale & oatleys would be unlikely to buy, were I was referring to terra's post. 

8 hours ago, pulpit said:

As as far as WOXI, why would the Oatley's want to up grade her. She is paid for and is still one of the fastest 100 footers around. Why change her, still plenty of life left in the old girl. 

Pulpit 

They may not want to "upgrade" i.e, switch to an newer boat, but as far as the Oatley's and upgrading go, that's exactly what they've been doing all these years with WOXI. There may be plenty of life left in her, but she has needed major work to stay on top of the game, and the current crop of threats to her are serious programs. Must be nice to finally have some competition. 

19 hours ago, LB 15 said:

Comanche is the ideal boat for our Queensland races. You could put a boxing tent in the cockpit.

With such a wide deck, just imagine how many backpackers you could fit on board if it was sailing out of Airlie.

Time to fess up

Me, Timmy Time, Jason from Aust. and Dick Dastardly have bought Loyal and the big Indian and are joining them together to enter the Sydney to Hobart in the newly formed multihull division...... I may even ditch DD and Timmy Time to be eligible for the two handed multi div.... (Jason's Idea)

Oats and BJ may follow suit.....  

On 8/9/2017 at 2:33 PM, SCANAS said:

Easily worth 2 x Wild Oats value. They spent $45 million on building Comanche and she is breaking all the records now. She is still young in design compared to Oats. I would think Comanche is worth over $10 Million on the 2nd hand market especially after shattering the Transpac and Transatlantic records and she has enormous sponsorship potential. 

1 hour ago, terrafirma said:

Easily worth 2 x Wild Oats value. They spent $45 million on building Comanche and she is breaking all the records now. She is still young in design compared to Oats. I would think Comanche is worth over $10 Million on the 2nd hand market especially after shattering the Transpac and Transatlantic records and she has enormous sponsorship potential. 

Owner: Jim Clark

Event: 2014 Rolex Sydney Hobart Yacht Race

Boat: Comanche

Cost: $15 million

Estimated cost of campaign: $40 million

Finished: Second

Clark's PR asked for the $40m article to be corrected. They said $15m but I guess you can assume a by more. Richards said spending $2m was smart when new build was $15-$20m 

17 minutes ago, Gorn FRANTIC!! said:

Just heard the plans and background of the new owner, Jesus Christ do I shake my head.

Please tell us it's Langmen & he some crazy idea about a donor boat & a foiling 100' that will do 40+. 

If they still had the tooling usinf Loyal's hardware on another Rambler 88 hull would be good value for money. 

3 hours ago, PIL007 said:

Time to fess up

Me, Timmy Time, Jason from Aust. and Dick Dastardly have bought Loyal and the big Indian and are joining them together to enter the Sydney to Hobart in the newly formed multihull division...... I may even ditch DD and Timmy Time to be eligible for the two handed multi div.... (Jason's Idea)

You asshole!! This is how you dump me from the program?? You coulda called me!

1 hour ago, Gorn FRANTIC!! said:

Just heard the plans and background of the new owner, Jesus Christ do I shake my head.

Care to share who?

28 minutes ago, Gorn FRANTIC!! said:

Don't know who, family cruising is apparently one of the plans but.

Cruising on Comanche? A rich bloke on drugs...The only proof a Comanche sale could be on the cards would be Jim Clark said too hard, too long and too much to come back to Australia? And yet they are back this year so the story has possibility if nobody can deliver anything other than hearsay? If the boat didn't cost $40 Million and was closer to $15 Million then somebody will be interested. First in gets best value IMO. 

2 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

These 100' trucks are the end of an era and destined for landfill...someone will stump up for the next generation shortly, it will be crazy and it won't be cheap.

So do we have a queue of new owners waiting to build the next generation? Fill me in Jack? If was in the market and there was a boat going cheap it would be the Big Indian. And who is ordering the next generation and what will they be? Saves me a lot of thread dead mate..! Cheers...............

35 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

Cruising on Comanche? A rich bloke on drugs...The only proof a Comanche sale could be on the cards would be Jim Clark said too hard, too long and too much to come back to Australia? And yet they are back this year so the story has possibility if nobody can deliver anything other than hearsay? If the boat didn't cost $40 Million and was closer to $15 Million then somebody will be interested. First in gets best value IMO. 

Loyal, not Comanche.

Maybe the Oatleys should buy the Big Injun and burn it to thin out the competition for their own one-trick pony?

7 hours ago, Last Post said:

Maybe the Oatleys should buy the Big Injun and burn it to thin out the competition for their own one-trick pony?

Isn't it time a Victorian owner stepped up to the plate instead of just sailing around a pond.

12 hours ago, Timmy Time said:

Crew dumping protocol down here is done this way Timmy...

13 hours ago, Timmy Time said:

16 hours ago, PIL007 said:

Time to fess up

Asshole!  I thought we had a deal...!

We're cutting WOXI up the middle and splicing in bits of Loyal, then bolting on the Indian's rig...

Nah,  A much better sorted boat and the S2H record holder and defending champ !!

But as we all know it is not the cost of the boat but the campaigning costs that kill you.

9 hours ago, trt131 said:

Isn't it time a Victorian owner stepped up to the plate instead of just sailing around a pond.

We're still getting over Wharro.

4 hours ago, dachopper said:

What did Lahana sell for.....$500K or so..... so loyal $600-700?

:)

Advertised for 660k started with a 5 according to our ex-resident expert Abbo. 

Loyal would be 1+?

From Nic Douglas, someone must know who has bought what

"Comanche is currently in Brisbane (being refitted with rumours of a sale), Perpetual Loyal has been sold (waiting to hear where this has gone) ."

3 hours ago, Bill E Goat said:

From Nic Douglas, someone must know who has bought what

"Comanche is currently in Brisbane (being refitted with rumours of a sale), Perpetual Loyal has been sold (waiting to hear where this has gone) ."

RKO

She should be giving US the scoop. Jim Clark has entered Comanche so I doubt it's sold. Just having a slightly cheaper rest than it would in Sydney. 

1 hour ago, SCANAS said:

She should be giving US the scoop. Jim Clark has entered Comanche so I doubt it's sold. Just having a slightly cheaper rest than it would in Sydney. 

As mentioned up-thread, Comanche's Boat Boss is a Brisvegas lad so that may have a bit to do with her current location. I doubt Jim Clark would be too stretched even by Sydney waterfront industry prices.

On 8/21/2017 at 3:16 PM, SCANAS said:

I'm all over It like a fat kid on cake LP. 

All over it like a cheap suit mate?

BLACK JACK 100'

WOXI

COMANCHE

LOYAL

SCALLYWAG

LEOPARD

RIO 

CQS

WILD THING 

2 hours ago, SCANAS said:

BLACK JACK 100'

WOXI

COMANCHE

LOYAL

SCALLYWAG

LEOPARD

RIO 

CQS

WILD THING 

Is that all of the 100ft maxis? 

All but Leopard are or have been Australian owned. Clearly the S2H seems to give Aussies greater motivation to own a 100 footer than other nationalities.