• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
dachopper

Sydney to Hobart 2017

1 minute ago, SYDE said:

I would be surprised if this did not go to the room.  Which is a pity. 

If the penalty is only 5 minutes it won't matter oats will win by over that

5 mins is the minimum penalty isn't it. Can't the jury award more?

The tack didn't give any advantage to WOXI they would have been better off crossing. Hurt Comanche by 10 seconds? 

When is a tack considered complete?

Shit way to loose or win a race. If the move got WOXI ahead I'd understand but it had no bearing on the result. 

I think I'd like to be the team who walks in with AC race director Iain Murray. 

EPIC!

1 minute ago, SCANAS said:

I think I'd like to be the team who walks in with AC race director Iain Murray. 

EPIC!

And AS performance director :)

• Like 1

If WOXI loses in the room then they have no one to blame but themselves...the rules govern us all and I've been tossed from a distance race for what seemed like an inconsequential dispute. The public visibility of the maxi's in this race does not excuse them from the RRS

• Like 1

Just now, ASP said:

If WOXI loses in the room then they have no one to blame but themselves...the rules govern us all and I've been tossed from a distance race for what what seemed like an inconsequential dispute. The public visibility of the maxi's in this race does not excuse them from the RRS

My gut feeling says it won't matter, cant see any penalty being more than 5 minutes and oats is way ahead now

Just now, Vitamin C said:

My gut feeling says it won't matter, cant see any penalty being more than 5 minutes and oats is way ahead now

Read the thread and the rules. The penalty would not be any LESS than 5 min. 

Sailor Girl just said the wind is definitely from the west but both of them are on starboard, cracked sheets. Sounds like the nor-easterly is filling in again. Both in the middle in the tide. Should have stuck to the east. But as it's a match race then..

1 minute ago, Battleship said:

Would be a classy move for Comanche to withdraw the protest ( rather win on the water).

Would be classy for VOXI to follow the starboard rule when it matters.  

If you want a laugh for Aussies put it on ABC News 24 they’ve dragged some old pissed bloke Patrick into the studio from a long customs house lunch to commentate the finish. I’m sure he’s about 2 bottles of red in. Tipping the ABC weren’t ready for an early record finish. It’s commical. 

4 minutes ago, Battleship said:

Would be a classy move for Comanche to withdraw the protest ( rather win on the water).

LOL happens all the time the Americas Cup, why not in the S2H 

12 hours ago, LionessRacing said:

That boat has had a good record. Whether in the past it was  against less worthy competitors, better sailed, or gifted with her optimum conditions to perform her singular “trick”you could debate. 

Today, she’s just not competitive. Dorade, Kialoa et al get the credit for being classics, doing well decades after their design. 

WOXI is simply obsolete.  And her value is falling swiftly as Comanche sets up the angle. 

Are you feeling stupid for making this post? 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Battleship said:

Would be classy move for WOXI to retire after finish.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, SCANAS said:

When is a tack considered complete?

From Rule 13 " After a boat passes head to wind, she shall keep clear of other boats until she is on a close-hauled course." Note close-hauled is a course and has nothing to do with sails and sheeting.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Battleship said:

maybe so,  but it also a classy move to not impede the starboard tack yacht holding its course with an aggressively close tack. I think it will come down to the skipper.  What will he want to be remembered for?   And what past do the skippers have with each other?  

1 minute ago, forss said:

Would be classy move for WOXI to retire after finish.

Took a whole 5 seconds off Comanche. 

7 minutes ago, Battleship said:

If WOXI wins by less than the time they might have lost doing a 360 or whatever to cover their arse, then C should still protest, otherwise maybe they should drop it.  

From the sailing instructions...

Rolex Sydney Hobart Yacht Race 2017
Sailing Instructions
20. ALTERNATIVE PENALTIES
(Amends RRS 44, 63.1 and 64)
20.1 BEFORE CLEARING TURNING MARKS Z/Y.
(a) For an infringement of Part 2 of the RRS that occurs after the Preparatory Signal and 
prior to the boat clearing the relevant seamark (Mark Z/ Mark Y), the Two Turns Penalty 
under RRS 44.2 shall apply.
(b) A boat which is found after a protest hearing to have infringed a rule of Part 2 of the 
RRS after the Preparatory Signal and prior to the boat clearing the relevant seamark 
(Mark Z/ Mark Y), shall receive a time penalty of not less than 5 minutes added to the 
boat’s elapsed time.................

____'___'_______'

Was the foul committed prior to the turning mark? If so Oats needed to the turns ASAP! No 5 minute penalty prior to the turning marks! Oats should be DSQed! I hope it goes to the room!

How do you read this ???? 

4 minutes ago, SYDE said:

maybe so,  but it also a classy move to not impede the starboard tack yacht holding its course with an aggressively close tack. I think it will come down to the skipper.  What will he want to be remembered for?   And what past do the skippers have with each other?  

Absolutely, a complete dick move by Richo, just looks a bit like sour grapes to win in the room after such an epic race.

I honestly thought the Big C had it in the bag respect to the old RP shitter to come back.

4 minutes ago, DFL1010 said:

Daft thing is that had WOXI taken a penalty at the time, they'd still be in the lead, without the sword of Damocles. 

More fool WOXI

Tough

8 minutes ago, SCANAS said:

Took a whole 5 seconds off Comanche. 

They took a whole lot more than 5 seconds off Comanche. 

13 minutes ago, Flippin Out said:

If you want a laugh for Aussies put it on ABC News 24 they’ve dragged some old pissed bloke Patrick into the studio from a long customs house lunch to commentate the finish. I’m sure he’s about 2 bottles of red in. Tipping the ABC weren’t ready for an early record finish. It’s commical. 

Patrick Bollen perchance ?

This will be probably be WOIX's greatest win. Race record and beating the best Maxi's in the world. (assuming it happens)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, hoppy said:

This will be probably be WOIX's greatest win. Race record and beating the best Maxi's in the world. (assuming it happens)

And possibly DSQ'd. EPIC!

For all you WO haters- suck shit. Whatever the outcome of the protest that is the greatest Hobart LH boat in history. 

• Like 3

While we wait this out with both boats in the creek with WOXI in front, little breeze and the outgoing tide now starting to rush and around 6 1/2 miles to the finish. Anchors will now be deployed on deck.

So while we wait this out.

There have been a barrage of references to the International Jury (IJ) that determine the Indians protest over WOXI's "le Bow Fuck", and by the Sailing Instructions (SI's)  a potential time penalty against WOXI of not less than 5 minutes, and where disqualification cannot be discounted. That has all come about because WOXI elected to not do two (2) 360 degree turns. Do your own calculation for Richo not having done that. What a dick some will no doubt say.

First who is the IJ? They are body nominated by the Race Organiser (RO), via the RO's Race Committee (RC) to Australian Sailing, an affiliate of World Sailing (WS) for approval. Once approved the decisions of the IJ are final and there is no appeal

This process should not be confused with WS sanctioned events like the VOR, AC etc where WS nominate their own IJ with the IJ having the support of a Investigating Officer(s). The IJ for the S2H are currently sitting in Hobart downing coloured drinks by the hotel pool.

Second, there is debate that if Comanche do get over the line first, then they will drop their protest. 

What everyone forgets is that if that was to occur, then the RC with the video evidence of the incident, have no option but to then refer it to the IJ, on account of its impact on placings, particularly LH's for boats like BJ etc, potential 3rd party Rule 69's about bringing the sport into disrepute etc. 

If the RC didn't lodge that protest having regard for the above they would be run out of town.

So who makes up the approved and sanctioned  IJ for this event? They are as follows;

To be continued..I have to grab a cup of tea.

Just now, LB 15 said:

For all you WO haters- suck shit. Whatever the outcome of the protest that is the greatest Hobart LH boat in history. 

I think your being sarcastic but Welcome to the fanboy Club. As Abbo is MIA you can be member no2. 

2 minutes ago, Munter said:

ABC showing WOXI with most crew up on the bow to lift the stern and shy reaching on port. 

Live feed stacked on the rail. 

3 minutes ago, SCANAS said:

I think your being sarcastic but Welcome to the fanboy Club. As Abbo is MIA you can be member no2. 

Yep I am a fan of history- she has shown she is the greatest offshore maxi in history. Fuck your tall poppy syndrome and applaud a great performance. The BJ boys sailed well but now they know what A grade looks like. 

Well sailed WOXI.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Mid said:

Ricko be spewing he didn, t do turns :P

So you know better than him? Stop making an ignorant cunt of yourself Dick wit. They can take all the trophys away but the truth remains. The are about to win there 8th Hobart race.

Just now, LB 15 said:

Yep I am a fan of history- she has shown she is the greatest offshore maxi in history. Fuck your tall poppy syndrome and applaud a great performance. The BJ boys sailed well but now they know what A grade looks like. 

Well sailed WOXI.

I'm WOXI fanboy number 1 so you'll have to settle for number 2. 

Excellent effort by WOXI. This race has proved to all the haters the mods worked & Richards is world class. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SCANAS said:

Excellent effort by WOXI. This race has proved to all the haters the mods worked & Richards is world class. 

It's a bloody good boat but to reduce their success to richards is a bit short-sighted. All the boys on that boat deserve to be there.

Just now, ASP said:

It's a bloody good boat but to reduce their success to richards is a bit short-sighted. All the boys on that boat deserve to be there.

Of course but all you hear on here is that Richo's got no idea. Should step down. Hasn't won anything lately. Etc. 

• Like 1

I don't have a horse in this race, but I'd like to thank all the young tarts smashing back Pocketwatch sauv and pinot gris every weekend that has allowed this immense yacht program to happen.

Patrick talking about "undressing the boat " !!!

And in a piece of huge insight, the protest could go either way!

37 minutes ago, Flippin Out said:

I haven't seen that moron for years...did Bob give him the run of the cellar?

4 minutes ago, ease the sheet said:

Lb.

Next you'll be waxing lyrically about lance and US postal....

Did US Postal have powered winches too?

1 minute ago, LeKa said:

I think the sea played an important part of this race.....................................................

The sea was angry that day my friend. Like an old man trying to send back soup at a deli. 

1 minute ago, Flippin Out said:

You he’s on now again. My ears are bleeding. 

Arrgh! next minute he will be writing for Afloat magazine. Oh, hang on...

5 minutes ago, SCANAS said:

Of course but all you hear on here is that Richo's got no idea. Should step down. Hasn't won anything lately. Etc. 

Scan your balls must be close to exploding? Have you warned search and rescue people in your postcode.?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SCANAS said:

Excellent effort by WOXI. This race has proved to all the haters the mods worked & Richards is a world class jackass

Fixed

Just now, jack_sparrow said:

Scan your balls must be close to exploding? Have you warned search and rescue people in your postcode.?

Everything is down what's happening?