• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
dachopper

Sydney to Hobart 2017

That's awesome, does that mean that they also used less diesel than previous trips?

How many L/100nm does WO get? 

9 minutes ago, SCANAS said:

Currently looking for expired flares for a nudie run! 

Scan run over to LB's joint first...he is accredited RYA and will show you how to carry out the fine detail of putting a parachute flare up your bot bot, pulling the wick..but you still live to be Shaggy's coffee boy.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gorn FRANTIC!! said:

Jimmy chalks up yet another 2nd place for 2017.

Not bad for the guy who has Lost more Americas cup races than anyone in history - What has he ever won

I'm not a Comanche or WOX1 supporter, but it would give me a platinum strength erection if Richo went into the the pressers saying they were late for the start in order to give Comanche a head start. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, DFL1010 said:

Counter-argument would be it'd be a classy move for WO to retire after seeing the footage. 

Completely agree DFL1010. If they feel they have wronged and I quote from the RRS Basic Principles "when competitors break a rule they will promptly take a penalty, which may be to retire".

We are not talking about a boat having a slightly wrong certificate here, or failing to sign a declaration,

38 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

While we wait this out with both boats in the creek with WOXI in front, little breeze and the outgoing tide now starting to rush and around 6 1/2 miles to the finish. Anchors will now be deployed on deck.

So while we wait this out.

There have been a barrage of references to the International Jury (IJ) that determine the Indians protest over WOXI's "le Bow Fuck", and by the Sailing Instructions (SI's)  a potential time penalty against WOXI of not less than 5 minutes, and where disqualification cannot be discounted. That has all come about because WOXI elected to not do two (2) 360 degree turns. Do your own calculation for Richo not having done that. What a dick some will no doubt say.

First who is the IJ? They are body nominated by the Race Organiser (RO), via the RO's Race Committee (RC) to Australian Sailing, an affiliate of World Sailing (WS) for approval. Once approved the decisions of the IJ are final and there is no appeal

This process should not be confused with WS sanctioned events like the VOR, AC etc where WS nominate their own IJ with the IJ having the support of a Investigating Officer(s). The IJ for the S2H are currently sitting in Hobart downing coloured drinks by the hotel pool.

Second, there is debate that if Comanche do get over the line first, then they will drop their protest. 

What everyone forgets is that if that was to occur, then the RC with the video evidence of the incident, have no option but to then refer it to the IJ, on account of its impact on placings, particularly LH's for boats like BJ etc, potential 3rd party Rule 69's about bringing the sport into disrepute etc. 

If the RC didn't lodge that protest having regard for the above they would be run out of town.

So who makes up the approved and sanctioned  IJ for this event? They are as follows;

To be continued..I have to grab a cup of tea.

we are talking potentially of a Part 2 infringement with no attempt to exonerate. I think, if they are found against then a 5 minute penalty would be very soft.

Having said that the RSHYR has an extremely competent jury chairman so the only thing I am certain of right now is that should it go to the room then both boats will get a fair hearing.

• Like 1

Looking at Comanche from behind on the RSH-FB live feed seems like her bottom is really sticking. Can't she produce more heel to reduce wetted surface?

Just now, Yo....v said:

Not bad for the guy who has Lost more Americas cup races than anyone in history - What has he ever won

You need to get your priorities in order..I can hear from here your ewe bleeting it's guts out looking for her daily service. Sort things out mate.

Nice job WO taking advantage of her edge in the river to go around Comanche. Now to see how the protest works out. Great race by both boats, hate to see it go to the room but you take the risk and have to possibly pay the price.

Windward Passage had the same thing happen in the '69 Transpac, first to finish, new record, and win taken away for barging a Cal 2-30 at the start.

Between TV and all internet sources, I can't figure out if Comanche has finished or not and if they did, how long after WOIX :ph34r:

2 minutes ago, hoppy said:

Between TV and all internet sources, I can't figure out if Comanche has finished or not and if they did, how long after WOIX :ph34r:

Same!!!!!! Can see they have finished. Just need the Gap

3 minutes ago, hoppy said:

Comanche finished at approximately 10.18 local time.

Race committee must have better things to do tonight or summink...

Wild Oats .1 of a nm to go...  ffs.

8 hours ago, Wess said:

WO ain't dead yet.

8 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

That depends how many WO lads and how much money they outlayed on a Comanche LH and Record double. 

Race rigging and betting is rampart in Oz sailing didn't you know  ;-)

8 hours ago, RKoch said:

They've been a pretty steady 9 miles behind so far. C would have to park in Storm Bay for WO to have a chance at passing them in the River.

You were saying....:P

Of course the jury room may still speak but on the water where it matters.... well.... Jimmy sure is on a losing streak!! 

Tenpin Bollen is the perfect example of why the ABC needs more funding....

Wheel him back into a cupboard with a bottle of anything, I'm sick of yelling "shut the fuck up" at my t.v.

• Like 1

This protest  is a storm in a tea cup, what most peeps fail to observe is that the Pit Bull did not maintain his course. he bore away a minute to 30 secs out and therefore did not give WO11 room and opportunity to keep clear, or in the old parlance he was "hunting" and setting  himself  a tactical advantage to have boat speed to point up after Oats had completed their tack and BTW Oats had completed their tack before Pit Bull was overlapped, .. International Jury will dismiss this... as fluff. Not BTW that I am an Oats or Pit Bull fan ... send it Kearney Alex and Jim ... altho Huey is not not loving small boats this year.

So, according to the race standings above, WO XI was 52 seconds ahead of Comanche?

1 minute ago, Apparent Lee said:

he bore away a minute to 30 secs out and therefore did not give WO11 room and opportunity to keep clear,

how much notice does Mark Richards need - an email the day before?

• Like 2

Ok...so for the maxi's the S2H is an overnighter....good job, well done, collect your paycheques and bonuses.....Now we wait to see who the real race winners are. Go Chutzpah!!

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, shanghaisailor said:

Completely agree DFL1010. If they feel they have wronged and I quote from the RRS Basic Principles "when competitors break a rule they will promptly take a penalty, which may be to retire".

We are not talking about a boat having a slightly wrong certificate here, or failing to sign a declaration,

we are talking potentially of a Part 2 infringement with no attempt to exonerate. I think, if they are found against then a 5 minute penalty would be very soft.

Having said that the RSHYR has an extremely competent jury chairman so the only thing I am certain of right now is that should it go to the room then both boats will get a fair hearing.

Shang reading between your reserved lines you understand but many don't that this is a quite pivotal moment in sailing in terms of rules and appropriate penalties. 

The last time I can remember something like this was the outcome of the 2013 AC Oracle cheating debacle. That turned out to put World Sailing and the IJ process on its arse. Some still argue today not enough.

This is going to be a very interesting 24 hours coming up. The pressure on all the parties on and off the water is now imense.

I'm glad not to be them.

• Like 1

Just now, monosailor said:

Question is, if a time penalty is given is it applied to overall or corrected time? DSQ seems out of the question 

Overall, then will affect corrected.

4 minutes ago, HILLY said:

Tenpin Bollen is the perfect example of why the ABC needs more funding....

Wheel him back into a cupboard with a bottle of anything, I'm sick of yelling "shut the fuck up" at my t.v.

Fuck he's starting to struggle, think its past his bedtime. Feel sorry for the chick hosting, she knows more than he does. Digging his Astor t-shirt from the 1924 collection. Just shut the fuck up you crusty old piss wreak

1 minute ago, jack_sparrow said:

Shang reading between your reserved lines you understand but many don't that this is a quite pivotal moment in sailing in terms of rules and appropriate penalties. 

The last time I can remember something like this was the outcome of the 2013 AC Oracle cheating debacle. That turned out to put World Sailing and the IJ process on its arse. Some still argue today not enough.

This is going to be a very interesting 24 hours coming up. The pressure on all the parties on and off the water is now imense.

I'm glad not to be them.

If found guilty - Not doing a penalty at the time should incur a significantly higher penalty.....

So standings now have Comanche first..... and neither boat finished

Wake me up when it's sorted please :)

12 minutes ago, Boatbeard said:

So, according to the race standings above, WO XI was 52 seconds ahead of Comanche?

It was much more than that. WO was docked ( but only just ) when C finished.

Richo is telling reporters that C should withdraw its protest.

On 12/24/2017 at 9:39 PM, SCANAS said:

I always cheer for WOXI, I've always liked the look of the RP boats & WOIX, WOX & WOXI even poor old Q, are all fantastic looking boats. My ex worked for them for a while & she never said a bad word about them. 

You have to admire their dedication, having all the boats built, the money changing hands. Billionaire's get a hard time for dodging tax ( boo hoo right ) but the stimulus they put into the economy, not just in sailing, is massive. I also admire Bob & Mark Richards business acumen. Richards is obviously very loyal & grateful for their support, you can't buy that, you have to earn it. You can amble up to Richards & he will engage in a conversation. He must get sick of that, but always does. 

Bj obviously helping out with some parts this time & Oatleys have always done the same, masts, keels etc etc

They sometimes get a bashing for only doing this race but that's not true, transpac, 2 x maxi worlds, admirals cup,  pitwater, Coffs, Keppel, Hammo its always great to see a massive yacht like that come past. You can hear their winches from 500m away! Not WOXI but here's a video off Shaggy's POGO - you get the idea. 

I would have liked to see them keep it original & not do the latest cut & shut, seems to me that trying to beat / enhance its chances V Comanches strongest point was pretty silly. But I guess they have decades of data to back up a typical Hobart race, weather wise. 

Id say the ratio of guys with grey hair is also pretty high on WOXI for a top team and you can't forget Bob telling Roger Hickman not to bother with the 2nd payment for Wildoats/rose. 

Lost my $20 on BJ

Had a win on WOXI though  

• Like 1

If Comanche was Swedish, they'd say "fuck the protest. We want to go and drink beer." And if they were Norwegian, they'd not let anything stop them from protesting. If Danish, they'd turn up drunk in the hearing. 

• Like 9

image.thumb.png.b91a3efe8ece4fe97102c935025ddb5e.pngThe timers are still running, so nobody has finished yet or has a protest been held or what?

I just listened to Richo's interview which essentially was he said this is an ocean race where we keep boats safe and it is not a round the bouy/AC event and Comanche were wankers protesting his "le Bow Fuck". Then followed up with gratutious praise.

The guy doesn't get it and thinks he is bullet proof. He should be sodomised.

• Like 1

Fuck it, I'll find out in the morning if any times are taken at all for this race...

And now the whole standings etc. has crashed anyway, not available until three hours after the start.  I need more beer to put up with that.

Edited by Boatbeard
Added some.

1 minute ago, Boatbeard said:

image.thumb.png.b91a3efe8ece4fe97102c935025ddb5e.pngThe timers are still running, so nobody has finished yet or has a protest been held or what?

Maybe they want to keep it running to see who gets to the Customs House first for official piss and punch on ceremony?

• Like 1

Channel 24/ABC with Bollon is hilarious...he has fallen over..is pissed and can't put more than three words together. He is now paying Bob back for giving him the run of the cellar for all these years saying Comanche attacked WOXI and the incident and subsequent protest all came about from Spital aggression.

51 minutes ago, SCANAS said:

LB & Lydia your club RQ just posted that Comanche won Line Honours. 

My club? Fuck that place! 

1 minute ago, SCANAS said:

No way WOXI took 5 minutes out of Comanche. They won on the water. Case closed. 

Has to go to the room otherwise it gives the message that it's ok to be a cunt on the water.

Difficult for the jury to decide the penalty if the protest is upheld though.

1 hour ago, hoppy said:

Are you feeling stupid for making this post? 

Nope.

Pooched the start,  flagrant unnecessary foul going out of harbor while sailed by longstanding crew & skipper  

Got thoroughly dominated offshore by a boat sailed by a new owner in his first race with her. 

Might still get lucky in fluky light winds on occasion. 

Might get a gift from the PC on her fouls. 

Clearly has a coterie of fanboys.

Boat is obsolete.

Old News. 

• Like 2

Anyway, lots of boats out there still going hard, and still putting my sights on Maluka as why not.  Real boat doing it displacement all the way.  Respect.

14 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

You get the S2H Rabbit award

unnamed (3).gif

Not bad for sitting my ass for 2 days and drinking beer ... you may apologize after the protest hearing or, I will wear rabbit ears to the CYCA Awards evening in April ... you're welcome.

51 minutes ago, SCANAS said:

LB & Lydia your club RQ just posted that Comanche won Line Honours. 

My club? Fuck that place! 

Just now, LionessRacing said:

Nope.

Pooched the start,  flagrant unnecessary foul going out of harbor while sailed by longstanding crew & skipper  

Got thoroughly dominated offshore by a boat sailed by a new owner in his first race with her. 

Might still get lucky in fluky light winds on occasion. 

Might get a gift from the PC on her fouls. 

Clearly has a coterie of fanboys.

Boat is obsolete. WANKER OF THE DAY COMMENT.

Old News. 

Mark Richards has steered the Oatley family’s Wild Oats XI to her ninth Rolex Sydney Hobart line honours victory after a protracted battle with Jim Cooney’s LDV Comanche on Tasmania’s River Derwent this evening, reclaiming the race record Anthony Bell’s Perpetual LOYAL took from her last year.

Wild Oats XI smashed last year’s record of one day 13hrs 31mins 20secs by after crossing the Castray Esplanade finish line at 21:48:50 this evening, in the new time of one day 8hrs 48mins 50secs, taking 4hrs 42mins 30secs of Perpetual LOYAL’s time.

This is a record ninth line honours for Wild Oats and a third record – nobody in the history of the race has achieved this honour before. 

But will she hold on to line honours? LDV Comanche is flying the protest flag she raised after an incident after the start and then advised in the first sked she would be protesting Wild Oats XI. LDV Comanche must file her protest within six hours of finishing.

But in the meantime, Richards and his 20 crew members were celebrating their victory to huge cheers at the dock in Hobart tonight, spraying Champagne Mumm over each other as the huge crowd waited for LDV Comanche to also finish.

The J.H. Illingworth Trophy looked set to be in the hands of Jim Cooney, who recently purchased the 2015 boat dubbed the ‘aircraft carrier’ due to her girth. Boat and crew revelled in the strong north-easterly wind, but in the end, Wild Oats XI held her ground and showed her superiority in the extremely light breeze both boats found on rounding Tasman Island that at times stopped both yachts in their tracks.

11 minutes ago, NORBowGirl said:

If Comanche was Swedish, they'd say "fuck the protest. We want to go and drink beer." And if they were Norwegian, they'd not let anything stop them from protesting. If Danish, they'd turn up drunk in the hearing. 

I guess it depends on the Swede. Some are quite hot tempered, like this one guy, I remember from back in the dinghy days, who jumped into a competitors boat and punched him in the head, just because the guy had tacked on him close to the finish line 

I give up waiting for the CYCA to update their standings to show the finish times and set the initial targets for the handicap positions.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Couta said:

Ok...so for the maxi's the S2H is an overnighter....good job, well done, collect your paycheques and bonuses.....Now we wait to see who the real race winners are. Go Chutzpah!!

Richo will put the crew on an hourly rate now, use the savings to tip the jury. fucking cheat, no question.

9 minutes ago, Tropical Madness said:

Hold the phone... 27 minutes behind!

Yeah. I timed Comanche 26 minutes 55 seconds or so after Woxi. Looked like the breeze died right out not long after woxi crossed the line. 

3 minutes ago, honestjohn said:

Richo will put the crew on an hourly rate now, use the savings to tip the jury. fucking cheat, no question.

Stop it. He's won 20 Rolex's sold his business & is the CEO, best mates with a billionaire. He's not worried. 

5 minutes ago, SCANAS said:

Stop it. He's won 20 Rolex's sold his business & is the CEO, best mates with a billionaire. He's not worried. 

needs to buy channel 7 get control of the video, he'll win for sure then!

22 minutes ago, SCANAS said:

No way WOXI took 5 minutes out of Comanche. They won on the water. Case closed. 

WOXI won sailing over the water Scan. Anyone who suggests otherwise is a dumb cunt. However there are rules and a rule has been broken. Richo's excuse in interviews stepping off the boat is probably the most self-serving unapologetic shit I have ever witnessed in this sport and maybe more. 

Love where our sport is going where say 8yo Opti and impressionable sailors looking for hero's think Richo's view of rule respect is where they should head. We reap what we sow. 

Fucking appalling.

• Like 10

1 minute ago, honestjohn said:

needs to buy channel 7 get control of the video, he'll win for sure then!

Do any non sailors & non Audi drivers give a shit though? 

1 minute ago, jack_sparrow said:

WOXI won sailing over the water Scan. Anyone who suggests otherwise is a dumb cunt. However there are rules and a rule has been broken. Richo's excuse in interviews stepping off the boat is probably the most self-serving unapologetic shit I have ever witnessed in this sport and maybe more. 

Love where our sport is going where say 8yo Opti and impressionable sailors looking for hero's think Richo's view of rule respect is where they should head. We reap what we sow. 

Fucking appalling.

Yeah pretty stupid to open his mouth really. Probabky should of caught Comanches dock lines & disappeared down below for a quick chat with Cooney. 

2 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Fucking appalling.

Amen

Pretty lightweight jury including 3 NJs.

Very badly worded SI.

Not sure it open to jury to say Oats still in line honours winner but will be penalized time wise as it says places are vacated.

Also, a lot will turn on the declaration as to the rights.

Seems you have to go for gold, that is say no infringement and if you lose in the room you go DSQ.

If you acknowledge in the declaration you get a penalty.

The time difference should be irrelevant as if there is a breach there is a breach.

So everyone go and read the SI as they are unusual.

And I also guess I am one of the few here who ever had to go to the Hobart jury room!

23 minutes ago, SCANAS said:

Comanche should withdraw the protest. Clear win on the water. 

It is never a clear win on the water if you infringed and do not take the penalty.

No different to from using oversize sails to win on the water.

You are just a cheat.

• Like 5