• Announcements

    • Zapata

      Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

      Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
dachopper

Sydney to Hobart 2017

Recommended Posts

The 80' odd footer? Where is that one nowadays? Anyone know if WT had the Alfa mast still fitted around 2013/14? 

& who owns Rags 90? Is it still at SCM?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jack_sparrow said:

Yeah sure ChopChop...just like all DSS brain farts that forget about conditions in 8 out of 10 S2H's.

agreed -maybe 10% of Hobarts have any significant reaching - inevitably, it is just the stretch across the paddock, and then it'll be 35+ in big seas. You might also get some down around the corner, across Storm bay or up the river (not all three).

From that Maverick blurb: "... try and close the gap the more upwind oriented boats had got on us earlier in the race ..."..  hmmm

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, duncan (the other one) said:

agreed -maybe 10% of Hobarts have any significant reaching - inevitably, it is just the stretch across the paddock, and then it'll be 35+ in big seas. You might also get some down around the corner, across Storm bay or up the river (not all three).

From that Maverick blurb: "... try and close the gap the more upwind oriented boats had got on us earlier in the race ..."..  hmmm

 

They had less than 10% in the fastnet, and it was all they needed to overhaul both Kerr 46's.....upwind isn't their strong point for sure, but then again, you've got to bet on something.... banging the corners half a knot faster sure as hell sucks balls compared to 2-3 kts faster reaching, unless windward/leewards are your thing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, dachopper said:

They had less than 10% in the fastnet, and it was all they needed to overhaul both Kerr 46's.....upwind isn't their strong point for sure, but then again, you've got to bet on something.... banging the corners half a knot faster sure as hell sucks balls compared to 2-3 kts faster reaching, unless windward/leewards are your thing. 

Do keep up.

10% of races have maybe 20% (Bass Strait) of reaching.

You don't catch up over 500 miles of sailing behind your rating with a 100 mile sprint.

 

I'm not sure I'm impressed by a 49 footer having to overhaul a couple of 46'ers, either.  Upwind, LWL should win.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Gorn FRANTIC!! said:

Maverick is 46ft as well.

https://www.maverick49.com/new-blog/2016/4/19/our-bald-stats

 

so it is...  I had naively assumed the website name had something to do with the length.

Still -- a 'fast' 46 footer having to 'catch' other 46 footers is a bit absurd. They give the Ker's over 10% and beat one over the line by only 30min in a 3 day race.

 

http://www.rolexfastnetrace.com/results/2017/rfr-irc-zero02.html

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/09/2017 at 5:52 PM, SCANAS said:

Did they fit that mast GF? News articles from the time said they did but the last mast I saw on WT didn't look that tall? 

The original mast was off an AC boat IIRC?

I think the original mast was a One Australia spare. We all saw what was going to happen there

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The spare AC mast went into the 70 footer launched in the late 90s early 00s (?) Later stretched to 85ft & and painted that baby shit green colour.

The replacement for the 100 footer was the spare Alfa Romeo mast was bought for $1mil, cut in half so it would fit onboard the aircraft for express delivery down under from Europe. Bought to create media hype after the original was broken on the delivery from Melbourne to Sydney. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

While we are on the subject of big bills for big boats . . . . . . . Australian newspapers are reporting that Bell and his missus have kissed and made up. Maybe he figured out how much the divorce would cost.

On the other hand he still lives in an apartment and she still lives in their house so I'm not too sure.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, savoir said:

 

While we are on the subject of big bills for big boats . . . . . . . Australian newspapers are reporting that Bell and his missus have kissed and made up. Maybe he figured out how much the divorce would cost.

On the other hand he still lives in an apartment and she still lives in their house so I'm not too sure.

 

oh god, the Bell's - another story designed to create media hype

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oats slipped back into Sydney late lastnight.

read on the weekend how they ran her into a reef during Hammo race week - minor rudder damage and a roughed up bulb 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wildboats said:

oh god, the Bell's - another story designed to create media hype

 

It's a bit like Brad and Angelina go downunder.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, savoir said:
2 hours ago, Wildboats said:

oh god, the Bell's - another story designed to create media hype

 

It's a bit like Brad and Angelina go downunder.

 

dont wish that on us, we are only just getting over the Depp/Heard dog saga.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Well Heard also took out a restraining order then followed it up with a divorce. Could be a pattern.

At least she shielded the dogs from the ugly bits.

Maybe Bell's missus could pick up Elon Musk on the rebound ?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Wildboats said:

Oats slipped back into Sydney late lastnight.

read on the weekend how they ran her into a reef during Hammo race week - minor rudder damage and a roughed up bulb 

Yep heard that... Assuming that's a keel off and full engineers report... nice to own a boat yard.  I'm sure they do it blind folded these days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, savoir said:

 

Well Heard also took out a restraining order then followed it up with a divorce. Could be a pattern.

At least she shielded the dogs from the ugly bits.

Maybe Bell's missus could pick up Elon Musk on the rebound ?

 

Would he fund an AC tilt?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, PIL007 said:

Yep heard that... Assuming that's a keel off and full engineers report... nice to own a boat yard.  I'm sure they do it blind folded these days.

Intresting thing  about the keel repairs is that they pulled Oats out of the water after the southport race at Rivergate marina over night and removed and resealed the keel bolts. The crew said they hit the bottom coming in the the marina  berth. 

 

Pulpit 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dorade takes podium in first two events of Dorade Down Under campaign

The “Dorade Down Under” campaign is in full swing, and Dorade, the 86-year-old Sparkman and Stephens classic yacht, is proving yet again that age is just a number with the team taking podium finishes in the first two events of its five-race series off the southern coast of Australia.

http://www.sail-world.com/USA/Dorade-takes-podium-in-first-two-events-of-Dorade-Down-Under-campaign/157034

Doreade.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, southerncross said:

Dorade takes podium in first two events of Dorade Down Under campaign

The “Dorade Down Under” campaign is in full swing, and Dorade, the 86-year-old Sparkman and Stephens classic yacht, is proving yet again that age is just a number with the team taking podium finishes in the first two events of its five-race series off the southern coast of Australia.

 

australia-map.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Wildboats said:

forget coral bleaching, it's now coral freezing

S2H becomes like the Transpac sailing westward, not as cold.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rolex Sydney Hobart and Volvo Ocean Race winner offered for sale

One of the world’s top ocean racers, Giacomo also won the 2011/12 Volvo Ocean Race as Groupama 4, skippered by Franck Cammas.

She is the only racing yacht to have been a round the world race winner and then extended her racing career into a win in one of the worlds three classic offshore races. In between, Giacomo has won line honours and set records in most of the SW Pacific racing circuits.

Designed by Juan Kouyoumdjian and built by the top yard, Multiplast, in Vannes, France, the Frank Cammas skippered Volvo 70, won two legs of the 40,000nm round the world race, holding out a fast finishing Camper sailed by an Emirates Team New Zealand crew.

Her current owner Jim Delegat purchased the then Groupama 4 in 2013 and turned her into an offshore racer.

Renamed Giacomo, Delegat has raced the Volvo 70 in the major offshore races of the SW Pacific, being first to finish, winning on rating and setting several course records.

http://www.sail-world.com/USA/Rolex-Sydney-Hobart-and-Volvo-Ocean-Race-winner-offered-for-sale/157148

Large_GiacomoKurt Arrigo.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Pretty common I think, $7K is high but plenty of people wanting to tick this race off their bucket list. I personally wouldn't be happy doing any race with a boat full of customers...

Here's another, https://www.flyingfishonline.com.au/courses/sydney-hobart-campaign/

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DickDastardly said:

Unnecessary.  Looks like a TP52...

 

Probably easiest if you find some pics of the Pac 52 Bad Pak and imagine the name says Ichi Ban.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's AUD$7K, only US$5700  or €4700 Euro. Still, it's a lot of loot for a coastal race that screws up one's Christmas Holiday on a 36 year old plastic boat.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I enquired a few years ago. Was going to cost $15k including flights, wet weather gear, food etc on a Bene 47.7 didn't go ahead because:

a. You can buy a decent TS for that. 

b. Thought they'd back off pretty early so wouldn't get the full experience. 

Two years ago a Brisbane team offered a spot for charity & it went for 4 or 8k I can't recall. If you live in Sydney or Melbourne it's ok, but for Brisbane there's less boats doing it so less spots. Even for the Brisbane owners it's a bit of effort to get the 2000+ miles in etc Huge effort for the crazy WA'rs that do it!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SCANAS said:

I enquired a few years ago. Was going to cost $15k including flights, wet weather gear, food etc on a Bene 47.7 didn't go ahead because:

a. You can buy a decent TS for that. 

b. Thought they'd back off pretty early so wouldn't get the full experience. 

Two years ago a Brisbane team offered a spot for charity & it went for 4 or 8k I can't recall. If you live in Sydney or Melbourne it's ok, but for Brisbane there's less boats doing it so less spots. Even for the Brisbane owners it's a bit of effort to get the 2000+ miles in etc Huge effort for the crazy WA'rs that do it!

 

I'd want to ensure that there is a money back guarantee in case they don't complete the race and your "experience".

and if they did make that guarantee, then I would not want to sail on a boat who's skipper is worrying about refunding money more than safety....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Insurance. LB15 day rate. Survey - will add up & don't ask Lydia if the boat is then a workplace or we'll have to buy hard hats & steel caps too.

I keep telling Shaggy to save his light air wardrobe dollars & spend it on a light air foiling catamaran. Cmon Shaggy, I'm sure you want another trip to France. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, shaggybaxter said:

I'm thinking about doing an OATS. Bit of a cut'n'shut, whip a few carbon bits out of the Structures shed? 

Reckon we could sneak it in under PHS?

maxresdefault.jpg

 

 

Shaggy...lipstick on s pig.. stop fuckin around and go back to Europe and stump up for real race boat. Scanas and LB are probably already holding court and bagging the Pog behind your back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

:) 

I did JS, took me a while to work out the tickbox on the order said Cruiser/Racer, not Racer. 

Fucking French colloquialisms.

Nothing wrong with lipstick on a pig unless you're all precious over these things. 

Aim low early mate, much more fun.

 

.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hogged the wheel for a 'few' hours in the Gladstone when Shaggy was in bed 20-30kn shifty & gusty, wrong kite up but no room to run away & change, on the edge, big dives down. Easily the most fun I've had sailing. 

POGO is very well built & everything is laid out very well too. For a big powerful boat it's very easy on the body. 

When Shaggy is bored one day we'll have to do a 24hr run. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

It's not uncommon. IIRC back in the day (2005) Getaway Sailing used to charge $6k or $7k for the Sydney 38 "experience" and $12k or $15k for the Volvo 60. Both in AUD, so if you were earning greenbacks the cost wasn't too bad for a walk on/walk off Hobart ride with no responsibility.

It beat the hell outta spending 6 months training with 18 crew for 12 spots who started eyeballing each other mid-November and loudly accusing each other of humping the owner's daughter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Timmy Time said:

and loudly accusing each other of humping the owner's daughter.

Any photos?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, shaggybaxter said:

I'm thinking about doing an OATS. Bit of a cut'n'shut, whip a few carbon bits out of the Structures shed? 

Reckon we could sneak it in under PHS?

maxresdefault.jpg

 

 

I am not sitting out there on that fucking thing! I like the indoor cockpit though. Can we have one of them?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, DickDastardly said:

41 by some margin

Unless its Lydia's 38 of course. Just ask him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Next Level said:

and is one more seakindly than the other?

Depends on your definition of seakindly. Being Sydney yachts they both kindly let plenty of sea leak through the windows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/8/2017 at 7:47 AM, southerncross said:

Dorade takes podium in first two events of Dorade Down Under campaign

The “Dorade Down Under” campaign is in full swing, and Dorade, the 86-year-old Sparkman and Stephens classic yacht, is proving yet again that age is just a number with the team taking podium finishes in the first two events of its five-race series off the southern coast of Australia.

http://www.sail-world.com/USA/Dorade-takes-podium-in-first-two-events-of-Dorade-Down-Under-campaign/157034

Doreade.jpg

"Tactician Kevin Miller about Dorade taking third place in the 370-mile Brisbane to Keppel Race"

Fuck, talk it up! 3rd in PHS Div 2 is all they won and trust me. any fucktard can win that! I know - i have won it 4 times and sail world didn't mention us once. Cunts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/12/2017 at 3:51 PM, LB 15 said:

"Tactician Kevin Miller about Dorade taking third place in the 370-mile Brisbane to Keppel Race"

Fuck, talk it up! 3rd in PHS Div 2 is all they won and trust me. any fucktard can win that! I know - i have won it 4 times and sail world didn't mention us once. Cunts.

Thanks for the affirmation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/12/2017 at 10:01 AM, Timmy Time said:

It's not uncommon. IIRC back in the day (2005) Getaway Sailing used to charge $6k or $7k for the Sydney 38 "experience" and $12k or $15k for the Volvo 60. Both in AUD, so if you were earning greenbacks the cost wasn't too bad for a walk on/walk off Hobart ride with no responsibility.

It beat the hell outta spending 6 months training with 18 crew for 12 spots who started eyeballing each other mid-November and loudly accusing each other of humping the owner's daughter.

Do tell

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/12/2017 at 10:01 AM, Timmy Time said:

It's not uncommon. IIRC back in the day (2005) Getaway Sailing used to charge $6k or $7k for the Sydney 38 "experience" and $12k or $15k for the Volvo 60. Both in AUD, so if you were earning greenbacks the cost wasn't too bad for a walk on/walk off Hobart ride with no responsibility.

It beat the hell outta spending 6 months training with 18 crew for 12 spots who started eyeballing each other mid-November and loudly accusing each other of humping the owner's daughter.

Was she hot?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jack_sparrow said:

^^^ Clark and Croaky are mates so I doubt that....hitching a ride maybe..but why?

Croaky hasn't campaigned in the big league for a good few years and it's an itch that never goes away...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, angles said:

Croaky has chartered Comanche

Just him and the family for a couple of days cruising in Moreton Bay?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Moonduster said:

And you were really, really, really drunk?

She was really, really, really drunk!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/17/2017 at 8:29 PM, angles said:

Croaky has chartered Comanche

Clean has a post in a ACA thread saying that Jim Clark is out of sailing and sold Comanche.  Came in this thread looking for info to back up his post and saw this.

Whoever Croaky is, maybe he bought it?  Or if he is chartering it then he isn't chartering it from Clark.  

WetHog  :ph34r:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Latest goss is the boat does the race to Hobart as Comanche and gets handed over there. Possible? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Clark had always said the plan was to campaign the boat for a couple years, then sell it, so it’s not like this is totally unexpected if true. 

Edit:  and if it is sold, I’m glad it ended up in Aus to play with the other super maxis. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^^^^ selling after Hobart sure Monkey but bailing out before is a big deal and particularly when you have WOXI and BJ on the grid. 

If Croaky has stumped up to buy/lease it then he will keep this boats ownership lineage going having just married a young thing half his age.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jack_sparrow said:

^^^^ selling after Hobart sure Monkey but bailing out before is a big deal and particularly when you have WOXI and BJ on the grid. 

If Croaky has stumped up to buy/lease it then he will keep this boats ownership lineage going having just married a young thing half his age.

I agree it’s weird. But then again paying to have it designed and built, then rarely sailing on it is weird as well. Billionaires are an odd bunch. 

I’m just glad he shelled out the cash to build it, and hope it continues to get campaigned at the same level. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

Whatever that is supposed to mean? 

That Team Scallywag are upgrading to Comanche.

I'm not 100% convinced as the current Scallywag is in the shed prepping for a new keel. So why spend that money right before Hobart and then ditch the boat immediately afterwards? While spending money on the VOR at the same time?

Further rumours I've heard are that Team Scallywag are actually looking to add a 60-70' trimaran to their fleet, which given that Phaedo has gone to another well known Asia Pacific owner makes more sense. They'd then at least have Phaedo and the Orma 60 in New Zealand to play with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

... and Sean Langman who I understand is working on foils for his Orma sourced from TNZ.  Mind you that project has been going on for a year or so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Jason AUS said:

That Team Scallywag are upgrading to Comanche.

I'm not 100% convinced as the current Scallywag is in the shed prepping for a new keel. So why spend that money right before Hobart and then ditch the boat immediately afterwards? While spending money on the VOR at the same time?

Further rumours I've heard are that Team Scallywag are actually looking to add a 60-70' trimaran to their fleet, which given that Phaedo has gone to another well known Asia Pacific owner makes more sense. They'd then at least have Phaedo and the Orma 60 in New Zealand to play with.

If that's the case Comanche won't be in best hands IMO. Croaky runs a better campaign than the Scallywag team. I would love to have seen the Oats boys campaign the Dovell 100 and race against the Scallywag team on Oats and see what a difference it makes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Croaky is 72 according to Wikipedia. I wonder what the kids would think of him spending their inheritance! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, DickDastardly said:

Just to add to the rumour mill .... Comanche = new Giacomo

 

Farrrk, sounds like a circus to me...! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, terrafirma said:

Whatever that is supposed to mean? 

New Scallywag..... why continue to invest in a 100 that really hasn't meat expectations when you can buy Comanche and have the currently fastest 100 on the planet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SCANAS said:

Croaky is 72 according to Wikipedia. I wonder what the kids would think of him spending their inheritance! 

I don't recall a Mrs Croaky (until his recent child bride) or any kids?? Scan you and your man servant LB are the men on the ground ...any word of Earle Williams sniffing around Rivergate? Croaky has actually had asperations about doing some long distance record busting and was thinking about a large multi at one stage I recall. This rumour may have some legs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, WetHog said:

Clean has a post in a ACA thread saying that Jim Clark is out of sailing and sold Comanche.  Came in this thread looking for info to back up his post and saw this.

Whoever Croaky is, maybe he bought it?  Or if he is chartering it then he isn't chartering it from Clark.  

WetHog  :ph34r:

Because clean said so? Hey want to buy the Sydney harbour bridge? I can let it go for a fraction of the replacement cost.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FinnFish said:

Life Buoy, Brisbane to Keppel?

I only deal in facts - or rumours that I start. But I have heard that Harberg has bought it so big Gaz and the BJ boys can eat their lunch in the shade on the hard stand at Rivergate. Or play a game of cricket in the shade. Man that is a lot of boat when you see that big shitter out of the water.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jack_sparrow said:

I don't recall a Mrs Croaky (until his recent child bride) or any kids?? Scan you and your man servant LB are the men on the ground ...any word of Earle Williams sniffing around Rivergate? Croaky has actually had asperations about doing some long distance record busting and was thinking about a large multi at one stage I recall. This rumour may have some legs.

If I see anyone cutting a slot down the middle I will let you know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

looks like Jim Clarke is getting out of boats altogether, Hanuman & Athena are both for sale - does not mention the Indian:

Quote

Citing "big changes" in his life, the Netscape and Silicon Graphics founder and Silicon Valley icon is leaving behind his life at sea and selling his two prized sailing yachts, the 136-foot Hanuman and the 295-foot Athena. The 68-year-old Clark, a returnee to this year's World's Billionaires List due to some smart investments in Apple, says he's decided to sell his boats to settle down at his new home in New York with his 8-month-old daughter and wife, former Australian model Kristy Hinze.

full article c/- Forbes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

I don't recall a Mrs Croaky (until his recent child bride) or any kids?? Scan you and your man servant LB are the men on the ground ...any word of Earle Williams sniffing around Rivergate? Croaky has actually had asperations about doing some long distance record busting and was thinking about a large multi at one stage I recall. This rumour may have some legs.

I haven't heard any more rumours since it arrived. I'm sure it's for sale how many people have 10+ mill though? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, SCANAS said:

I haven't heard any more rumours since it arrived. I'm sure it's for sale how many people have 10+ mill though? 

 

Croaky is probably good for half a bill so 10+ mill just to charter/running costs for a while then maybe top up to buy won't scare him. May make good press with two petrol head owners (BJ/Harburg) going head to head.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Who'd know. Those net worth estimates never include liabilities.

I hope someone repaints it one colour. The colour scheme & graphics look like I designed after a night on bad mushrooms. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites