nomadic5953

IOR Mystery boat

My buddy and I recently picked up a 42-44ft IOR boat in SC for the price of parts. One of the catches was the previous owner knew almost nothing about it and the HIN (pcqgwm010879) revealed it was made by Philippines Custom Yachts International? Another page shows a John M. Weis being associated with the company, unfortunately I then found an obituary for a man with the same name with a love of sailing and family in the Philippines....

So here we are with what I assume is an IOR 2 toner thathas been painted blue. I'd really love to know the designer, more about the company, etc.

Assuming we can't solve this mystery, what is the best way to get the boat measured etc so we can get ratings for it and race this old log.

Not much to go on. Is there a sail #? Is original name written on any safety gear? 42' is about 2-tonner....44' is starting to get too big for 2-tonner. I'd say the boat is about 1980 for age, better picture of transom and stern sections might give clue to designer.

It looks like a fun project, should sail wel.

Unfortunately I haven't seen it. My partner inspected the boat. I'm heading down to SC in the next couple of weeks and I'm going to take better photos and look at sail numbers. I found out my 1/2 toner has a custom keel from its sail numbers. So I'm hoping for similar results. It has a crap ton of junk sails in the bow.

Not much to go on. Is there a sail #? Is original name written on any safety gear? 42' is about 2-tonner....44' is starting to get too big for 2-tonner. I'd say the boat is about 1980 for age, better picture of transom and stern sections might give clue to designer.

It looks like a fun project, should sail wel.

Good guess on the age.

Type: Recreational

Year Built: 1980 in Manila

Gross Tonnage: 21

Net Tonnage: 19

Length: 42.2

Breadth: 14.2

Depth: 7.3

Measured By: Unspecified

Hailing Port: Mount Desert Island Maine

Owner: Carroll Harris

Contact At: 2 Kavanaugh Place

Bar Harbor Maine 4609

Propulsion: Sail

Hull: FRP (Fiberglass)

Hull Configuration: Monohull

Hull Shape: Sail (distinct Keel)

Ship Builder: Philippine Custom Yachts

No skeg.

No dagger boards.

No winch farm.

Clean flush deck.

Wider ass end.

No deck mooring cleats.

No toe rail.

Check stays.

No bumps.

Max beam at the rail.

Nice find!

That's an OLD Race boat...

What's in your wallet?

The deck layout is common for the era, so can't tell much by that. From what I can see of the hull, it looks Doug Peterson....pretty similar to the Serendipity 43 of the same timeframe.

Nothing turns up on Google for the builder. You might try emailing the Manila Yacht Club, and asking if a long-time member can remember the builder and perhaps even the boat and original owner. As there were plenty of US and Australian custom builders at the time, I suspect the original owner was probably Asian and the boat ended up on the US east coast over time.

RK is probably right about the Peterson 42 or 43. more detail pic of the keel and rudder might help. The HIN indicates its Hull # 1 (and possibly only) by that Manufacturer.

You might try Googling "Maria Mercedes Foundation: in Bristol Maine and contacting them.

And don't let us have all the fun, research is half the fun of having an old IOR boat. There is a mountain of stuff out on the web and if you're in Maine, the ice won't be out for another 6 months!!!

Thanks for the responses.

I'll follow up with that previous owner "Harris" and see if He has any info. Id imagine a race boat like this has left a paper trail.

No skeg.

No dagger boards.

No winch farm.

Clean flush deck.

Wider ass end.

No deck mooring cleats.

No toe rail.

Check stays.

No bumps.

Max beam at the rail.

Nice find!

What's in your wallet?

We actually have the toe rail for it. Is your vote to keep it off for the sake of the crew?

No skeg.

No dagger boards.

No winch farm.

Clean flush deck.

Wider ass end.

No deck mooring cleats.

No toe rail.

Check stays.

No bumps.

Max beam at the rail.

Nice find!

What's in your wallet?

We actually have the toe rail for it. Is your vote to keep it off for the sake of the crew?
Put it on if you want to keep your crew aboard.

Bringing it back to GMORA?

Which boat do you have here now?

Have a few boats, but the other IOR boat is a Chance 32/28. The boats actually going to Key West.

post-120352-0-72538500-1483229388_thumb.jpg

emailing the MYC will not help. now i remember the builders here at that time. there was Stu Pervis, Dennis Murphy, and the second best con-artist/swindler the philippines has seen, Jim MacFarren. Philippines Custom Yachts International aka Ocean Composite Yachts, and several other names was run by MacFarren. MacFarren would quote Harken quality and deliver Lewmar and Schafer deck gear. it has been a while but i remember his last build in which he started the build and then half way through, collected the final payment and fled the country.

now, looking at the stern, this does not look like a Peterson. maybe a Soverel or Mull. the turn down right about where the Back Stay Cylinder is looks more Soverel. but i could be wrong.

No skeg.

No dagger boards.

No winch farm.

Clean flush deck.

Wider ass end.

No deck mooring cleats.

No toe rail.

Check stays.

No bumps.

Max beam at the rail.

Nice find!

What's in your wallet?

Toe rail is required from bow to mast. Check offshore req's for details.

No skeg.

No dagger boards.

No winch farm.

Clean flush deck.

Wider ass end.

No deck mooring cleats.

No toe rail.

Check stays.

No bumps.

Max beam at the rail.

Nice find!

What's in your wallet?

We am were already planning on reinstalling it. I figured the only reason someone wouldn't want it is for can racing with people who have sensitive bottoms. The Toe rail is going back on. It was removed for painting; apparently.

No skeg.

No dagger boards.

No winch farm.

Clean flush deck.

Wider ass end.

No deck mooring cleats.

No toe rail.

Check stays.

No bumps.

Max beam at the rail.

Nice find!

What's in your wallet?

There's always a workaround. An SC70 I sailed on had an extra lifeline about two inches off deck. Speaking from experience, it's useless,but met the rules.

No skeg.

No dagger boards.

No winch farm.

Clean flush deck.

Wider ass end.

No deck mooring cleats.

No toe rail.

Check stays.

No bumps.

Max beam at the rail.

Nice find!

What's in your wallet?

No, :P

Now Fuck Off...

emailing the MYC will not help. now i remember the builders here at that time. there was Stu Pervis, Dennis Murphy, and the second best con-artist/swindler the philippines has seen, Jim MacFarren. Philippines Custom Yachts International aka Ocean Composite Yachts, and several other names was run by MacFarren. MacFarren would quote Harken quality and deliver Lewmar and Schafer deck gear. it has been a while but i remember his last build in which he started the build and then half way through, collected the final payment and fled the country.

now, looking at the stern, this does not look like a Peterson. maybe a Soverel or Mull. the turn down right about where the Back Stay Cylinder is looks more Soverel. but i could be wrong.

Good eye. I had to zoom way in b/c most of the lower transom is cut out of pic. The turndown is a little Soverelish, as is the rocker fwd. But I doubt a Manila builder would be building a Soverel design in 1980. Couldn't find any mention of a 42' IOR boat in his designs during that time. Locura 1 during that time was 39', Locura 2 43' was 1983. Both tiller-steered, cockpit of boat in OP was a wheel from the get-go. Only Soverel designs I'm aware of not built by Soverel were the 27 and some 33s that were built by Tartan. So we're back to a mystery boat.

How was missing toerail fastened? Doesn't sound like it was very secure if it was off for painting. Wire strung along deck was only for hulls built before 1994.

My guess is German Frers. The clipped transom was typical, and it looks like a hydraulic drive into the keel which was also typical. I am surprised by the build date, i would have put that design iteration at 76 or 77, although the deck/cockpit layout is more post 79 fastnet.

My guess is German Frers. The clipped transom was typical, and it looks like a hydraulic drive into the keel which was also typical. I am surprised by the build date, i would have put that design iteration at 76 or 77, although the deck/cockpit layout is more post 79 fastnet.

I considered Frers, but he didn't put that much rocker forward. Knuckle is pretty close to WL. Deck layout and transom width had me guessing 1980ish. Probably did originally have a winch farm, now looks like halyards have stoppers and winches removed.

Not Frers. He tended to round his transom corners and never put a knuckle in the transom itself.

Looks like a bastardized one way off built in asia on the cheap to me...... Is it just me or the picture? The keel looks on the small side for a boat above 40 feet? How much does a builder save if he leaves out a 1,000 lbs of lead?

From a conversation with my friend. ~"it's so similar to ron holland designs, and many of his designs don't show up on his design list, like Imp the Holland 40.

The stern, how it rounds down at the tip, is a strong ron holland feature. He did it on his swans as well as imp."~

post-120352-0-90922900-1483295161_thumb.jpg

post-120352-0-90922900-1483295161_thumb.jpg

Yes, but the upper transom corners stay in the plane of the transom - Holland pushed his corners forward before it common. (rating cheat)

A pic of the hull just around the rudder would determine thr N/M possibility. They have a distinct crease there.

These are more photos I received of the boat. They aren't of the under water sections some of you would like to see, but the boat is in the water and these were the most recent photos taken by my buddy . I'm thinking the travel lift photo was possibly from when it was still in Maine.

I'm hoping to be down to the boat in the next 2 weeks hauling out dropping the rig and preparing for over the road transport.

I'll post photos of the entire boat once I'm there and it's hauled.

Ok guys this thread is showing my age. If my mind is still working I remember back in 1980 I raced in the Kenwood cup in Honolulu at least I think it was Called the kenwood cup. The reason I remember is I had just left the US Navy after stationed in Pearl Harbor and the Philippines. If I remember correctly there where a couple of boats that where from down under Built in The Philippines. they then went on to the SORC, Admirals Cup and Sardinia Cup. The boat is not a Mark Soverel. I would almost guess its a Ron Holland with that stern and deck. I dont think Frers had the curved in stern at the bottom at that time. The PI was building a lot of boats for AU and NZ even for some from Singapore. Call Ron Holland he has a Website. He will Know whos it is if its not his.

+ 1

I was thinking first Peterson, now Holland Maybe. By location of the build.

if you can ventilo...

Fuck Off

These are more photos I received of the boat. They aren't of the under water sections some of you would like to see, but the boat is in the water and these were the most recent photos taken by my buddy . I'm thinking the travel lift photo was possibly from when it was still in Maine.

I'm hoping to be down to the boat in the next 2 weeks hauling out dropping the rig and preparing for over the road transport.

I'll post photos of the entire boat once I'm there and it's hauled.

post-120352-0-25402100-1483329305_thumb.jpg

post-120352-0-29942300-1483329335_thumb.jpg

post-120352-0-46701300-1483329359_thumb.jpg

post-120352-0-20072000-1483329476_thumb.jpg

Just received another piece. Sail number is 29069. Which according to US sailing was assigned by the HYRC (Hawaii) does anyone have a way to look up the sail number in a database? Nothings popping up on google. Seems like us sailing keeps a data base, but I don't know how you access it.

post-120352-0-22754400-1483374369_thumb.jpg

post-120352-0-22754400-1483374369_thumb.jpg

How was missing toerail fastened? Doesn't sound like it was very secure if it was off for painting. Wire strung along deck was only for hulls built before 1994.

I haven't looked yet, but I'm imagining it's through bolted along the Deck Hull flange.

Bingo! Sail # was a big help... I started looking through IOR master file (ordered by rating) starting at 2-ton and working upwards. Found it at 33.7 foot rating. The boat is Priority One, designed by Gary Mull.

I think the 29xxx series numbers were issued to Hawaii boats...somebody out there may remember the boat and owner.

Bingo! Sail # was a big help... I started looking through IOR master file (ordered by rating) starting at 2-ton and working upwards. Found it at 33.7 foot rating. The boat is Priority One, designed by Gary Mull.

Is that the only info you have access to? Obviously huge help just wondering if there's any other measurement data etc. I contacted us sailing and they're looking through their stuff too.

I can give you rig dimensions and the measurement certificate number. The rest of data would be meaningless except to IOR nerds.

P is 49.14

E is 14.28

I is 56.93

J is 18.24

IOR measurement certificate # is 17639

• Like 1

Got a bit intrigued so did some more poking around. With little success.

Any year for that certificate? Priority One did not enter the '80 or '82 Clipper (Kenwood) cups, so if it was sailing out of Honolulu, it was not being raced seriously (unlikely) or not in that time frame.

Mull web sites have little mention of one-off boats, so no help there.

Any year for that certificate? Priority One did not enter the '80 or '82 Clipper (Kenwood) cups, so if it was sailing out of Honolulu, it was not being raced seriously (unlikely) or not in that time frame.

My list is the most recent cert as of 1986. It doesn't give the date of each cert...my dads boat is listed and it was last measured in 1973.

I get the vibe that OP's boat wasn't a full-on Grand Prix effort, like Kenwood Cup, Trans PAC, etc. Perhaps more of a budget program for club level+ racing. Might have even had some family cruising in mind...have to see the interior and get some details on construction. Might be C-flex and polyester or something similarly inexpensive.

Boat does appear to be a one-off. My list organizes boats by class (like Heritage 1T), and then a separate listing for custom boats, where I found this.

My list is the most recent cert as of 1986. It doesn't give the date of each cert...my dads boat is listed and it was last measured in 1973.

I get the vibe that OP's boat wasn't a full-on Grand Prix effort, like Kenwood Cup, Trans PAC, etc. Perhaps more of a budget program for club level+ racing. Might have even had some family cruising in mind...have to see the interior and get some details on construction. Might be C-flex and polyester or something similarly inexpensive.

Boat does appear to be a one-off. My list organizes boats by class (like Heritage 1T), and then a separate listing for custom boats, where I found this.

The boat is supposedly a foam core fiberglass sandwich. Not sure what type of resin.

I was there (HI) in that time period and do not remember that boat at all.

I was there (HI) in that time period and do not remember that boat at all.

yah, I tend to forget stuff too when I'm HI :)

Well, I lived there & was working in a rigging shop, so I should remember a new custom boat in town. The sailing world is very small out there

It was named Priority One at its last IOR certificate date, which is unknown. Could have had another name prior. But it is a custom 42' Mull that rated a bit over 2-ton. Can't be too many around, I'm sure somebody remembers.

Slight thread drift but a wooden Mull about the same length sailed for NZ at the Clipper Cup. Called Solara. Then marketed in NZ as a cruiser racer called the Chico 40. A few had a stretched transom to 45. So even if not the same builder, the design might be the same.

I ran across this boat in Key West on the hard in stock Island. Anyone got anymore information on it? Owner? Hello?

On 10/01/2017 at 8:48 AM, Jono said:

Slight thread drift but a wooden Mull about the same length sailed for NZ at the Clipper Cup. Called Solara. Then marketed in NZ as a cruiser racer called the Chico 40. A few had a stretched transom to 45. So even if not the same builder, the design might be the same.

These ones are also blue. Hull certainly looks pretty close both above and below WL.

https://www.hibiscusmarinecoatings.co.nz/About/History.html

Navy-367-135.jpg

On 1/1/2017 at 10:15 AM, George Hackett said:

I agree - Mull did that little turn down on the bottom of the transom and so did Ron Holland.

Edit - It is a mull? 

Looks a bit like Ed Dubois Uin na Mara and Vanguard?

Figured I'd throw an update on here as a few people have inquired about its status and one Hobie33 owner even spotted it at Robbies boat yard where it is laid up.

Spring 2017-Now (Spring 2018)

• Inspected Rig and found some issues with the spreaders. They look repairable and will be sent out to be inspected and rewelded. 
  • Keel hull joint is very suspect and while we initially were just going to clean it up and fare it back in to sail it lightly around Keywest, we've since decided it would be more prudent to drop the keel and inspect the keel bolts/ replace if necessary.
  •  The helm was extremely stiff on our delivery from myrtle beach to Charleston which we both assumed was due to bearing/bushing issues. we also decided we want this boat to be tiller driven to simplify it even further. the rudder is very obviously saturated/flooded and it appears someone had already attempted to reglass it along the trailing edge as I'm assuming it was starting to split. we plan to salvage this rudder be re-pouring foam and re-glassing the out side. We are also going to have a rudder head/ tillerhead made up to complete the conversion to tiller from wheel.
  • The interior is being thoroughly cleaned and painted and turned into a very basic 3 stateroom layout. we will build out the forepeak into a Vberth and relocate the head to the STB side of the Engine which is currently more or less a large open line locker.
  • We secured a furling unit from a wrecked Irma boat and plan to modify this to work with boat. we plan to install new standing rigging and possibly chain plates anyway.
  • more inspections of the hull core in areas where blistering has occurred will be done as well. but very little delamination has been found upon or initial inspection with the only major spot looking like damage from a boat yard stand taking too much wait on the Aft stb section.
  •  

The current plan is to have the boat up and ready for departure to the Caribbean for the 2019-2020 winter.

I'm going to try and keep updating hopefully once a week as Tyler is working on the project pretty aggressively now.

cheers,

Kyle

adiosrudder.jpg

On ‎1‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 2:25 PM, longy said:

A pic of the hull just around the rudder would determine thr N/M possibility. They have a distinct crease there.

adiosaft.jpg

On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 2:13 AM, LB 15 said:

I agree - Mull did that little turn down on the bottom of the transom and so did Ron Holland.

Edit - It is a mull? 

yeah, we confirmed it is a mull design

I think the alignment is a little off:blink:... interesting enough we got stuck in the ICW a couple of times with the 7.3ft draft on our way to Charleston. There was enough friction when we were on the keel that the rpms of the engine were limited by the friction between the keel and shaft... another reason we are dropping the keel and inspected the structure as well as the keel bolts. The dream is to eventually install a sail drive style electric drive, but for now we'll keep the 4cyl Yanmar and straighten everything out.

20170221_120141.jpg

On 12/31/2016 at 9:23 AM, nomadic5953 said:

It has a crap ton of junk sails in the bow.

All IOR warhorses do.

So I can tell you EVERYTHING about this boat.  It was abandoned in a scrap yard in 1995, I picked it up and put about 150k, and about 10,000 hours into it.  It was basically a Dead boat.  We replaced a lot of rotting core, replaced most of the hardware, awlgripped the whole thing.   Pilots Point Marina did most of the work with me.  We put a brand new Yanmar in it and redid the mast and put all new lines on the boat.  I got married on the thing, we sailed away from Harwichport in 1998.  It had a beautiful white awlgripped hull that was flawless.  I have all of the blue prints, the record, the build certificate, etc.  We had a half hull made.  The original boat was BRIGHT ORANGE.  I had the boat documented so you should still have the coast guard certificate.  I usually donate my boats to charity when I am done with them, the most recent ones went to the Merchant Marine Acadamy.  Anyhow, this one went to troubled youths in Maine.  The guy obviously destroyed what was once a bristol yacht, so SAD people do this.  Anyhow, I am attaching some photos of the old girl for you.  I used to single hand her.  The boat was so balanced it would just said herself.  Anyhow, my cell is 617-699-9570, and my email is jdonnelly87@gmail.com.  I have family in SC, if that is where is today.  I am so happy she is in good hands again!

20181007_105104[1].jpg

20181007_105051[1].jpg

• Like 2

Great story you certainly put some work into it that's for sure..!

On 10/8/2018 at 1:59 AM, johnmdonnelly said:

So I can tell you EVERYTHING about this boat.  It was abandoned in a scrap yard in 1995, I picked it up and put about 150k, and about 10,000 hours into it.  It was basically a Dead boat.  We replaced a lot of rotting core, replaced most of the hardware, awlgripped the whole thing.   Pilots Point Marina did most of the work with me.  We put a brand new Yanmar in it and redid the mast and put all new lines on the boat.  I got married on the thing, we sailed away from Harwichport in 1998.  It had a beautiful white awlgripped hull that was flawless.  I have all of the blue prints, the record, the build certificate, etc.  We had a half hull made.  The original boat was BRIGHT ORANGE.  I had the boat documented so you should still have the coast guard certificate.  I usually donate my boats to charity when I am done with them, the most recent ones went to the Merchant Marine Acadamy.  Anyhow, this one went to troubled youths in Maine.  The guy obviously destroyed what was once a bristol yacht, so SAD people do this.  Anyhow, I am attaching some photos of the old girl for you.  I used to single hand her.  The boat was so balanced it would just said herself.  Anyhow, my cell is 617-699-9570, and my email is jdonnelly87@gmail.com.  I have family in SC, if that is where is today.  I am so happy she is in good hands again!

20181007_105104[1].jpg

20181007_105051[1].jpg

On 10/8/2018 at 12:59 AM, johnmdonnelly said:

20181007_105104[1].jpg

20181007_105051[1].jpg

Fuck I love this place!

• Like 4

How cool is that! No place like Anarchy to track down old war horses and their sailors/owners. Great story with a satisfying ending. Is Choate in City of Industry? 

• Like 1

WTF 42000 lb. ! That’s a big hole in the water these days....

42000 pounds of water Equals : 24.92 cubic yards of water (yd3 - cu yd) 

So that’s where all the waves come from behind the old IOR machines at speed. 

On 10/29/2018 at 1:50 PM, DRIFTW00D said:

WTF 42000 lb. ! That’s a big hole in the water these days....

42000 pounds of water Equals : 24.92 cubic yards of water (yd3 - cu yd) 

So that’s where all the waves come from behind the old IOR machines at speed. 

Nope, the waves come from the water rushing back into the void of the trough created!

On 10/28/2018 at 8:57 PM, Mudsailor said:

Driftwood......Tonnage does NOT equal the weight of the boat, it's basically a measure of the internal volume of the hull

Yep...originally an estimate of how many "tuns" or barrels can theoretically be stuffed inside.  Now a non-linear number.  Used for estimating taxation, cargo capacity, and, in times of national emergency, how useful the vessel might be in getting guys of the beaches of Calais and back to Dover.

Becomes an absurd measure when applied to small boats.  

13 hours ago, Left Shift said:
On 10/29/2018 at 3:57 AM, Mudsailor said:

Driftwood......Tonnage does NOT equal the weight of the boat, it's basically a measure of the internal volume of the hull

Yep...originally an estimate of how many "tuns" or barrels can theoretically be stuffed inside.  Now a non-linear number.  Used for estimating taxation, cargo capacity, and, in times of national emergency, how useful the vessel might be in getting guys of the beaches of Calais and back to Dover.

Becomes an absurd measure when applied to small boats. 

Had a client importing a yacht from outside the EU into Ireland. He wanted to register it as a commercial vessel so he could get some tax advantages run charters. Part of the registration requirement was to give the gross tonnage number for the vessel.

Could we find it? Could the Revenue authorities tell us how? Fuck, no. The best we could do was an estimate from a marine surveyor.

On 10/6/2018 at 10:34 PM, johnmdonnelly said:

This is my old boat, do you want to sell it to me???  jdonnelly87@gmail.com

On 10/7/2018 at 10:59 AM, johnmdonnelly said:

20181007_105104[1].jpg

20181007_105051[1].jpg

On 11/27/2018 at 2:36 PM, johnmdonnelly said:

teratoo2.jpg.570321d3f479e90794359e33db51e82a.jpgteratoo.thumb.jpg.b0d23d2f9164a70a1f01ba0f8f6c8f9e.jpg

Ran across these today.

This is awesome! So glad to hear more about the boat. Im actually visiting KeyWest where the boat is located working on some projects.

The boat unfortunatly had to be put on the back burner for a bit while some other priorities were tended to. So we are really just getting going after almost 2 years of having the boat. A surge of work started in the spring , but Tyler got pulled away again for the summer. Still shooting to be launching after hurricane season in 2019

Currently working on rebuilding the rudder and putting deck hardware back on that was removed for the transport from SC. Ill post photos of thr rudder project next.

Look forward to chatting with you soon and learning more about her.

Kyle