• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

it's finally here - the official start of the season!

lewis is up .5 seconds after fp2. says car is a night and day difference from testing. we'll know more tomorrow after qualy. can't wait!

• Practice 2: Friday, March 24, 1 a.m.-2:30 a.m. ET (NBCSN)

Practice 3: Friday, March 24, 11 p.m.-12 a.m. ET (digital only)

Qualifying: Saturday, March 25, 2 a.m.-3:30 a.m. ET (NBCSN)

Race: Sunday, March 26, 12 a.m.-3:30 a.m. ET (NBCSN)

lewis is up .5 seconds after fp2. says car is a night and day difference from testing. we'll know more tomorrow after qualy. can't wait!

Another predictable Mercedes quote. "It's a lot better. Ow than it was 2 weeks ago. Of course we weren't sandbagging.

Seems RB hasn't joined all the cool kids with T wings although ferrari's looks like it was built last night and bolted to the shark fin this AM and Hass' has more moves than Shakira over the bumps.

Another predictable Mercedes quote. "It's a lot better. Ow than it was 2 weeks ago. Of course we weren't sandbagging.

Seems RB hasn't joined all the cool kids with T wings although ferrari's looks like it was built last night and bolted to the shark fin this AM and Hass' has more moves than Shakira over the bumps.

Too late to edit. Just started watching FP2?: Haas has removed the T wings. I guess somebody figured out that High Cycle Fatigue was going to take out the shark fin if they let it keep flopping. Either that or Charlie called it a moveable appendage.

After 18 years away in Europe I moved back to my old house in Albert Park, 500m from the gate 3 entrance and have taken the family to the track each day.

Here is an interview I did with my 10 week old daughter about what she thinks of the F1 cars noise.

The 17 year old 2 seater V10 Minardi that has been doing laps sounds so much better.

How 'bout Ferrari for the win! Seems like we'll have some major challenges to Mercedes. Vettel, Hamilton, Bottas, Raikkonen...this could make for a very interesting season! I just hope the cars stay together, plenty failures today.

I sure hope it was an honest mistake by mercedes cause there seemed to be no reason to bring hamilton in when they did. Then they brought vettel in when they should have left him out until hamilton got past verstappen. I didnt understand any of it. Still a good race.

I sure hope it was an honest mistake by mercedes cause there seemed to be no reason to bring hamilton in when they did. Then they brought vettel in when they should have left him out until hamilton got past verstappen. I didnt understand any of it. Still a good race.

I am not sure Mercedes really knows about tactics , they have been 2 seconds a lap faster over the past few years. It would be like racing a TP--52 in a fleet of Farr-40's with no handicap.

I am not sure Mercedes really knows about tactics , they have been 2 seconds a lap faster over the past few years. It would be like racing a TP--52 in a fleet of Farr-40's with no handicap.

except that within the team the last couple years you had two groups trying desperately to beat the other and track position was critical even in the intra team battles. It felt manufactured to me but its early days. Could be everyones rusty.

Nice to see Red on the top step of the podium again

LH said he had to come in as he was out of grip. Post race he said they planned lap 19 and he came in at 18.

Post race body language was interesting... last year there would have been dummies being spit and toys thrown out of the pram. It was refreshing to see genuine congrats to the winner as if LH and Merc are looking forward to the battle. Felt the Race was pretty Blah. Not much on track action aside from the pit stop intrigue. Incredible drive from Alonso to almost get a point from the Honda POS

Yeah the post race atmosphere was quite good but I would not expect it to last when the standing are tight or someone crashes someone else out.

Bummer for DR.

Good day for Ferrari and a good day for Ferrari is a good day for F1. Hamilton had to drive the tires off the Merc to stay ahead of Seb. Merc will defiantly need to up their strategy game, some they have not had to do for a while.

All good things.

Shame about DR. Word is that Hamilton couldn't keep the ultras working but they had 30% "tread" remaining when they came off. Seb took his to 0% remaining and they worked the entire time so there seems to be a bit of technique to getting the useful life out of them. Drivers are all saying the "not follow gap" is up to 1.5 or 2 seconds with the increased aero. Who would have thought? Add in bigger cars and Baku, Monaco, Albert park and perhaps a few others (Toronto except for DRS on the straights?).

Ferrari keeps up the pace as the season progresses and Monza will be a crazy place the first weekend of September. Really good to hear Seb thanking the team in Italian and to hear the enthusiasm as the team sang their anthem. Forza Ferrari.

I'm thinking that Ferrari was possibly looking to the end of the stint/race to be sure that the tires had as many good laps left as possible , to give Seb the maximum advantage. Nail in the coffin....

I'm thinking that Ferrari was possibly looking to the end of the stint/race to be sure that the tires had as many good laps left as possible , to give Seb the maximum advantage. Nail in the coffin....

except when they brought seb in hamilton was stuck behind verstappen and seb pulled like a second a lap or more for two laps and hamilton was stuck, so hes pulling time and like my sons said it didnt matter but it was really close. Maybe the thought was they could not go one lap with hamilton on fresh tires in clear air so they called it when they thought the math worked.

The start was better than expected. Grojean had a heartbreak and was very positive in the press pit, really has turned into a top notch team driver. Bottas looked like he had the pace to take it to hamilton and played 2nd driver since it was so close to the end. Kimi was a mystery being so far off his teammate. Perhaps ferrari rolled the dice with vettel and had kimi at a lower power setting to ensure they finished one driver at least.

except when they brought seb in hamilton was stuck behind verstappen and seb pulled like a second a lap or more for two laps and hamilton was stuck, so hes pulling time and like my sons said it didnt matter but it was really close. Maybe the thought was they could not go one lap with hamilton on fresh tires in clear air so they called it when they thought the math worked.

The start was better than expected. Grojean had a heartbreak and was very positive in the press pit, really has turned into a top notch team driver. Bottas looked like he had the pace to take it to hamilton and played 2nd driver since it was so close to the end. Kimi was a mystery being so far off his teammate. Perhaps ferrari rolled the dice with vettel and had kimi at a lower power setting to ensure they finished one driver at least.

I saw an interview with KR where he said he struggled with understeer on the Ultra Softs. Much like LH and VB, KR seemed to like his car better on the Soft tires as shown by setting fastest lap on the penultimate lap.

VB was never going to be allowed to pass LH. He stopped later so had better tires, while LH was in cruise control once SV gapped him after the stops.

It appears SV did a better job of getting his Ultra Softs into their optimal window and keeping them there. He pushed LH early on hard enough to make LH drive the tires off and then with a little luck was able to come out in front of MV and LH.

It will be interesting to see how long it takes for Merc to adapt to the new tires.

MS

great win for seb and ferrari!

I think once again merc's strategy (or lack thereof) cost lewis a win. even the sky broadcasters knew the over cut was the way to go. their computers would have told them he would come out behind max. seemed dumb to me.

hopefully we'll see more of seb on the top step and this just isn't another one of merc's gimmes.

great win for seb and ferrari!

I think once again merc's strategy (or lack thereof) cost lewis a win. even the sky broadcasters knew the over cut was the way to go. their computers would have told them he would come out behind max. seemed dumb to me.

hopefully we'll see more of seb on the top step and this just isn't another one of merc's gimmes.

I'm a bit worried about what we saw in Australia. Merc was 1.2-2.0 sec/lap faster than Max and could not pass. Tires are going to make for a number of 1 or at most 2 stop races. With 6 cars (assuming RBR) fast enough to protect a lead (and SFI looking pretty racey), are we going to have a season where creating a gap and team racing tactics to come out in front after the last pit stop decides the race? No on track passing for positions 1-6 unless the straights allow an on the fly DRS pass.

Is it going to be a season of parades with pit stop strategy deciding who wins?

certainly a bit worrying, but perhaps when we get to tracks with a long enough straight we will see the full effect of slip streaming and DRS and that will give enough overspeed to effect a pass. With all the aero grip these guys now have parabolica and eau rouge should be epic this year

certainly a bit worrying, but perhaps when we get to tracks with a long enough straight we will see the full effect of slip streaming and DRS and that will give enough overspeed to effect a pass. With all the aero grip these guys now have parabolica and eau rouge should be epic this year

I am cautiously optimistic that Eau Rouge is going to be flat out and awesome.

MS

Not much running so far leading up to FP3. Should be interesting to see who gets the best handle on the car with no long runs on full fuel.

MS

As a Bottas fan I was a little disappointed in the safety car spin, that's for sure.

But some better racing than Australia, I thought...

Max was crying like a baby over bad air from the car in front that he was not even that close to, while Ricciardo, who was right on his tail, didn't say boo! Grow up and grow a pair, Verstappen!

Max was crying like a baby over bad air from the car in front that he was not even that close to, while Ricciardo, who was right on his tail, didn't say boo! Grow up and grow a pair, Verstappen!

Yup, it sounded like Max went to the Sebastian Vettel school of F1 whining.

Some good racing. Clearly the RB's still lack a lot of power when compared to the Ferraris and Mercs. Seems Merc's chassis is better than Ferrari but hats off to Maranello for huge gains with the new design. Once Hamilton was out front and pulling away from DR, the win became a mater of maintaining the gap and making sure Vettel didn't get bot tires and a clear track.

Disappointed in Bottas both for the spin and for not being able to climb back up and fight for the podium.

Verstappen passed nine cars on the first lap and went from 16th to 3rd..i think he probably has a better idea of the problems with passing than the F1 keyboard drivers here....

Verstappen passed nine cars on the first lap and went from 16th to 3rd..i think he probably has a better idea of the problems with passing than the F1 keyboard drivers here....

After last year's race in Brazil, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt when he talks about passing.

More racing in this 2.45 minutes than the last 2.45 seasons of F1!

Brilliant, two of my favourite cars going at it!

Awesome footage, thanks for sharing!! I imported and sold classic Minis for about ten years as a hobby, until I sold the one I would have loved to have kept forever, because I needed the dough for college for our daughter. It was a '72 Cooper S, Mk III Resto-Mod with a built up motor, 5 speed transmission, and tricked out suspension. I had the guy in the UK who built it customize with biscuit leather interior, burled walnut dash with 9-clock magnolia Smiths gauges. Had blast doing Solo One laps at Blackhawk Race Track outside of Chicago, at Mini Meet East meets West, where I got 4rd place in class. Another Mini Meet at Watkins Glen with a different car, we got to drive the old track on the streets that were close off from the public, and a mate talked the track workers to let us on for some really fast parade laps on the Nascar track the next day. Good times. In that video, it is amazing how well the Mini handle the Alfa which had tires that looked to be twice the width of the minis......

Probably a bit of both but he was quick at Mclaren too. His final lap in Quali had a pretty scruffy 2nd sector compared to normal which is why Bottas pulled it out. Great to see LH genuinely pleased for Bottas.

Just watched the GP2 Race (F2) at Bahrain... Holy cow that was some great racing. Kid called Leclerc pits from an 8 second lead with 12 laps to go and drove through the field to win it on the last lap. He was 24 seconds out of the lead with 12 laps to go !!!!

I think the top 6 or so drivers are extremely close in raw talent wit differences. Lewis is precise and very controlled as areVettel and Ricciardo. Kimi is quick when everything is dialed in but doesn't seem to be able to deal with off an off car. Max has incredible instincts and reactions but isn't quite sure when 10/10's becomes 1.5 yet. Botha's is quickly proving to be very quick as well.

Between the top 6 or so, results seem to be the car, tactics and occasionally how the dice fall. Imagine Alonso in a competent car again and I'd love to see JB as a Mercedes guest driver at Silverstone. He "deserves" to stand on the top step their once.

Good race management by Ferrari. Lewis was unlucky but drove a great race. If VB does not know who is #1 at Merc, he does now...

Another disappointing drive by Kimi IMO. Time to hang it up Iceman, you've lost the taste for victory.

It was at least a fairly exciting race for the beginning anyway. I feel for VB- doesn't happen often, but the pit crew effed his stop up royally (which then also hurt Lewis). It is at least good to see 'happy Vettel' back after the last couple of years.

FIRST POLE!

PA2127412.0036.jpg

Valtteri, your tyres are the wrong PSI, move over for Lewis plzkthx...

3rd...FinnMode engaged.

bottas-bahrain-f1-2017-podium-foto-xpb-8

For a few brief hours, F1 saw something it hadn't seen before,....A Finnish driver that could smile.

It was fun while it lasted.

considering how "good" is williams' car this season, massa had a decent race imho.

but with the lack of points from stroll, they will certainly fall from 4th place team to 6th or 7th, unless massa plays some miracle during the season.

Damn, forgot to set the DVR!!! Can I stream it from somewhere else than Comcast Xfininty

Finally got caught up with the last two races. seems like seb and ferrari actually will be a challenge to merc this season. nice!

Seb will win another championship, Lewis will screw over another teammate, and Kimi won't give a fuck at Ferrari.

Y'know, the more things change...

I'm kinda rooting for Alonso in May, it's been the most excited I've seen him in years.

(He's skipping Monaco for a McClaren badged Honda/Andretti ride at Indy)

And another front row lock out.

Except this time it's Ferrari!!

Yep. Great Q-3. First time in a long time that Hamilton was not part of the top 3 interview. Ricciardo sounded resigned to fighting with Williams for "best of the rest".

Currently watching the Sochi Procession. Seeing some pretty low flying Helo's right over the track getting action shots. Surely their Rotorwash must be affecting the cars. Wonder why no one is mentioning

Currently watching the Sochi Procession. Seeing some pretty low flying Helo's right over the track getting action shots. Surely their Rotorwash must be affecting the cars. Wonder why no one is mentioning

They're not over the track, it's about 100 feet beyond the corner when it's low and starts to climb. I had the same though so I watched to see where it really was. Apparently the pilot likes that move.

That was an awesome race. I really enjoyed it. Both teams were pushing the equipment. Vettel was really making bottas earn it and then what do you know bottas' old teammate who came out of retirement to take his seat and keep williams with a top driver holds up vettel. He probably mumbled in his helmet, " I never really liked you very much.". Bottas eqrned his win. Immense pressure. Vettel had the fire in his belly.

I was wondering about that as well? Perhaps they weren't as low as it looked? Great first win for Botas!! Classy guy! And great effort by Vettel! Lewis equipment not up to the task, it appears?

Looks like Ferrari paid the penalty for all that downforce in the run to the first corner after the start.

nice drive by valtteri for the wins congrats to him!

seb definitely is motivated this season and kimi decided to race too. merc only has a 1 point lead in the wcc. I thought they would walk away with it again because kimi is so inconsistent, but perhaps I was wrong? I hope so!

I also thought the heli was really low on that one shot where they flew over the crowd but I was more concerned for the spectators, not the cars.

Vettle's chase wasn't as dramatic as the announcers tried to make it. Other than the passes on the first lap, it was essentially a procession. Bottas lost his rhythm and the lockup allowed Seb to close up but there is only one place well matched cars can pass and that's coming into turn 1.

Let's see. Better aero, larger "no follow" zones and long lasting tires with little fall off. Cars are faster but races are very much turning into parades after lap 1.

I disagree. This is the first race this year that has not had a lotof passing. Massa made it almost impossible for SV to have a go at Botas in the end. My guess is helping the merc in a merc powered car and ex team mate was the reason. I also think Seb was OK with it as LH being a few cars back meant a good points haul, win or no win.

Not exciting but still a good race.

I disagree. This is the first race this year that has not had a lotof passing. Massa made it almost impossible for SV to have a go at Botas in the end. My guess is helping the merc in a merc powered car and ex team mate was the reason. I also think Seb was OK with it as LH being a few cars back meant a good points haul, win or no win.

Not exciting but still a good race.

Not seeing all this passing you speak of. A pass between McLaren and Sauber doesn't do much for the quality of racing. In 4 races, one pass for a podium position and that was Bottas on lap 1 in Sochi. In race 1-3, the top step was won strictly on pit strategy.

I believe it. those photos don't show the guys with the backup guns or anything else behind the main guys. and they aren't even refueling!

I really think longer pit stops would make the races more interesting. When the lead car goes through a pit stop and comes out in the lead again, it's just a parade.

Pit stop time differential is 20-24 sec depending on the track. A great stop is "in the box" for 2.5 sec. A bad one is 4 sec. As long as the stops are all within a second of each other and the delays consistent and predictable, a longer stop just means a bigger lead required to stay out front but as long as folks at the front are all on a similar strategy (1 stop or 2 stop), all will experience the same delays. Issue is at the front is that you can catch up but very hard to pass. Got to be very close for a following car to "pass in the pits."

Yes, a great race, but for poor tire strategy, it would have been Vettel's win.

3 minutes ago, silent bob said:

PArt of what I meant by Liberty exercising some marketing leverage. The Gnome didn't give a shit for physical attendees unless they ponied up $6K for the Paddock Club or were a celebrity. That kid will dream F-1 and be a Tifosi for the rest of his life. 

4 hours ago, Innocent Bystander said:

PArt of what I meant by Liberty exercising some marketing leverage. The Gnome didn't give a shit for physical attendees unless they ponied up $6K for the Paddock Club or were a celebrity. That kid will dream F-1 and be a Tifosi for the rest of his life. 

When they first showed that kid crying, I was thinking that someone needed to get him some swag or something to turn that moment around.  They really handled that well.  

And that was a fun race to watch.  Hard fought is right.  

That was a great race. Too bad for ferrari though. 

That kid was great. great job ferrari pr person that brought that kid into the ferrari tent. well done!

Haven't been following it here at work, but my Italian mate, Pasquale just called to tell me that his beloved Prancing Horse drivers have locked up P1 and P2, and Lewis is 7th??  Could be an exciting race!!

Lewis is 14th is he not?! 

He'll earn his his stripes if he even gets top 5. Kimi's race to lose now. Bottas was beat into 3rd by 0.002 seconds!!

Kimi reckons the team fucked him, on the pit timing, to favor Seb.  Interesting race, surprised there were no serious wrecks until towards the end.  Monaco usually has them in the first half or even sooner.

Kimi was not maintaining the gap in front of Seb and normal practice is leading car pits first. Seb then laid down some blistering laps once he had clear air. Sucks for Kimi but drive faster  

Same as what happened to Max. 

2 hours ago, Major Tom said:

Alonso leading  Indy 500 after 50 laps!

If Alonso didn't have bad luck with Honda he would have no luck at all

5 hours ago, Major Tom said:

If Alonso didn't have bad luck with Honda he would have no luck at all

I was almost starting to think he was going to pull off his only fairy tale finish of the year.

Good on Sato & Andretti.

It just occurred to me, I don't recall seeing Bernie Ecclestone there?  Was I asleep at the switch, or is he backing away, since selling out?

35 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

It just occurred to me, I don't recall seeing Bernie Ecclestone there?  Was I asleep at the switch, or is he backing away, since selling out?

Bernie was there, just laying low.

2013-397220-bernie-ecclestone-with-jerem

If this keeps up they're going to need some new bells in Maranello by the end of the season .

The harsh reality for the Iceman is that they need to put Vettel in the Champions seat at the end of the season

7 hours ago, dorado said:

If this keeps up they're going to need some new bells in Maranello by the end of the season .

The harsh reality for the Iceman is that they need to put Vettel in the Champions seat at the end of the season

I thought at first, that it was the team, that threw Kimi under the bus.  Upon further reflection, if Seb had not done those blistering fast laps, after the Finn went in for tires, Kimi would have exited ahead of him.