• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

Watched NBC coverage of the Canadian GP because the regular Sky coverage was on one of the "extra" TSN channels that we don't get - truly awful, announcers are not well-versed in F1, frequent and endless commercials.  Next time I won't bother recording it and will just find a download. 

Ocon was shafted by his team not telling Perez to let him by.  It would have been interesting to see if Ocon could have got by Ricciardo.

yeah, nbc coverage is bad. I didn't feel like waiting for the sky broadcast to appear and every time I do I curse the terrible nbc coverage.

easy day for lewis and merc but a great save by seb. and poor alonso. I can't believe they even bother showing up at this point. 

Max & Alonso seem to be chasing the "No Luck But Bad Luck" trophy this season.  AKA The Webber Cup.

Ate two bowls of his Wheaties yesterday.  If you looked at the onboard of the start, Lewis & Bottas didn't have a bad start but another 100' of straightaway and Max would've drove around them like they were standing still.

Not sure how many guys stuck around for the post race pitlane walk, but Brundle actually looked in pain discussing McClaren & Alonso.

"I don't want to say 'crisis', but how can you not.  This is MCCLAREN, and we're talking about the last place team, who's talking about fighting for 9th would be good result".

So the only question is really which engine will they go with next season, the empty Mercedes supplier spot now that Manor folded, or Renault, which would still be a step up.  There's actually a closer risk of McClaren getting close to folding if they can't turn shit around in the next two seasons, they are bleeding THAT many millions over the last three seasons with Honda.

9 hours ago, dash34 said:

Watched NBC coverage of the Canadian GP because the regular Sky coverage was on one of the "extra" TSN channels that we don't get - truly awful, announcers are not well-versed in F1, frequent and endless commercials.  Next time I won't bother recording it and will just find a download. 

Ocon was shafted by his team not telling Perez to let him by.  It would have been interesting to see if Ocon could have got by Ricciardo.

how can you call a former F1 Head mechanic and a former F1 driver as not well versed in F1?  

46 minutes ago, WCB said:

how can you call a former F1 Head mechanic and a former F1 driver as not well versed in F1?  

The last time I watch a US channel's coverage of F1, there had to be atleast 20mins of Peter Windsor talking about signing Danica Patrick to race F1.

Peter Windsor was "well versed", but man watching the coverage of that race scarred me for life.

46 minutes ago, WCB said:

matchett and hobbs aren't bad but the other two are idiots. 

14 hours ago, WCB said:

Not well versed in current F1.  They haven't done their homework.  My understanding is that they don't travel with the F1 circuit, and just comment on the feed.  They are only on the ground for races in Canada , Monaco and the US GP.  There is no way they have the access to people and information that the Sky coverage does.  

30 minutes ago, derelicte said:

silly season time: mac to drop honda for merc next season. canda failure was the final straw.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/40244642

Well that's just about the worst kept secret in F1 right now.  But it's not as if they can just drop a new engine in and go, the whole car is designed as a package from the ground up so really the earlier they can sign a new engine contract the earlier they can start on next years car.  McClaren really is going to be tight on money, first losing the $100Mil from Honda that isn't even keeping them afloat, THEN having to go out of pocket atleast $20Mil for a top shelf Merc customer engine without a title sponsor after already been hemorrhaging cash for three years...

Not sure if you guys caught any of drama around Lewis after he made a few comments about the quality of Indycar drivers, but that was fun over the weekend.

The build-up to Montreal started with Hamilton firing shots at the IndyCar series, questioning the quality of competition.

“I looked at the times and, frankly, for his first ever qualifying for Fernando to be fifth — what does that say about Indy?” the Mercedes driver told France’s L’Equipe.

If Hamilton was looking for a reaction, he certainly got one. The best zinger going to Tony Kanaan, who said:

“The guy (Hamilton) competed in a two-car world championship last year and was second, so I don’t think he can say much.”

Ouch.

http://www.planetf1.com/news/pit-chat-lewis-hamilton-likes-nickelback/

1022.6666666666666x767__origin__0x0_qG6i

10 hours ago, dash34 said:

Not well versed in current F1.  They haven't done their homework.  My understanding is that they don't travel with the F1 circuit, and just comment on the feed.  They are only on the ground for races in Canada , Monaco and the US GP.  There is no way they have the access to people and information that the Sky coverage does.  

Actually, they have one of the best guys in the business on the ground at every single F1, Will Buxton.  He has great relationships with all of the teams and drivers and great insight too.  He also hosts an F1 Extra show on the inside and behind the scenes.  

The interview Will did with Perez was unreal.  Asked the questions everyone was thinking.  I kept waiting for Perez to punch him....

Maybe the dullest race ever.  Nice drive by SV and a picnic up front for LH.

MS

16 hours ago, Mr. Squirrel said:

The interview Will did with Perez was unreal.  Asked the questions everyone was thinking.  I kept waiting for Perez to punch him....

Maybe the dullest race ever.  Nice drive by SV and a picnic up front for LH.

MS

Dullest race ever?  Really?

Not the most exciting Canadian GP ever...but dullest?  You mainlining Adderall these days?

Will is a little exitable but brings a nice vibe and theres no substitute for enthusiasm. id be happier without diffy and with bob varscha back. Hobbes and matchett are fine. Diffy is starting to talk much less. Hobbes and matchett during practice sessions are actually quite funny.

I don't mind Bob Varsha, but that could  be nostalgia from when IndyCar actually mattered before all the CART/Indy nonsense.  I still think the '95 (could be '96) Indycar race at Cleveland was one of the best open wheel races, in any series, ever.

I looked forward to the cleveland race every year. Portland as well and the other road courses back then. I watched indycar more than f1 back then. The racing was better. It was tragic what happened but its coming back now for me at least though the fuel strategy deal can be a race killer. Watching zanardi come on the scene and bring such energy and raw talent was a high point for me in all the years ive watched racing. That airport course at cleveland though had such a wide first turn it made numerous lines possible. It was a hoot. 

40 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Vettel's getting bitchy. 

Going to be way more than bitchy when they finish.

that was one crazy race. I think seb is lucky he only got a 10 sec stop and go. rear ending lewis was one thing that I could see as accidental, but pulling along side and intentionally hitting him was piss poor imo. felt bad for stroll at the end but still a great drive by the rookie, and mac finally has some points!

crazy race.

21 minutes ago, derelicte said:

that was one crazy race. I think seb is lucky he only got a 10 sec stop and go. rear ending lewis was one thing that I could see as accidental, but pulling along side and intentionally hitting him was piss poor imo. felt bad for stroll at the end but still a great drive by the rookie, and mac finally has some points!

crazy race.

Agree but we have seen Lewis pull the "brake check" and other aggressive blocks  more than once.  I suspect the stewards put a bit  of "Lewis asked for it" in the determination of how much of a penalty to give Seb. OTOH, Seb is all about "they can't do that to me" when he's pretty quick with a block or dive bomb.  Giving up a sure podium won't sit well in Maranello. We'll see Seb and Lewis take each other out by season's end.  A bit glad Lewis could not catch up to Seb in the last 10 laps.  He was not going to get that pass. 

Do we need tracks like Baku?  Very hard to pass.  A car eater due to the narrow streets and no runoff.  14 classified finishers including Kimi who retired late so 7 actual retirements of 20 cars. 

Vettel is an arrogant prick and may have just thrown the championship away. If he had not "hit" LH he would have won the event putting him a race ahead. I'm tifosi first driver second, very pissed with Seb.

vettel should have been blak-flagged. period.

From the race winner which sums it up .....

"Seb probably sometimes doesn't think before he acts," Ricciardo told BBC Sport.

"It's probably driven through passion and hunger. He's kind of just got to put a lid on it sometimes."

"I respect Seb a lot for his grit and his love for the sport, which turns into a lot of passion and sometimes aggression. I respect and like that about him.

"But today you have seen… whether it's over the radio, sometimes he will just go crazy. It is probably – what's the word? – spur of the moment? There's a better word."

"Look, whether Lewis slowed down or not, he has every right to dictate the pace. He's the leader, and it was too early for him to accelerate.

"You're not going to make the restart out of Turn 15. Seb was probably just a little bit over-excited."

Vettel can be better than schumacher. He wasnt in baku. regardless of the team building schumacher did at ferrari and the excellent drives I watched his entire f1 career and he was a thug. The teutonic thug was my nickname for him. When he failed to wreck villineuve and wrecked himself instead I was ecstatic. I dont care how many championships he won he showed his true colors on many occasions and they were lacking in integrity good manners. Vettel displayed the same kind of entitlement and bullying schumacher did this weekend. He has a choice to make about how he is remembered. Frankly alonso in the same equipment this weekend would have done much better than vettel. Kimi was on form but robbed by bottas. Really interesting race overall. These guys are so good in close quarters considering the performance envelope those cars enjoy. Hidden in all the carnage was phenomenal car control and consistency.  I could really do without the amount of radio chatter on nbc though. I think it detracts. Lance strohl! On the podium, very nice. 

This race really separates the confident cool headed operators from the hot headed one lap wonders. Poor lewis with the bolster fiasco. He was stellar and proved his worth for sure. He is really in the zone now and I would have to pick him for the title if the equipment is close. His quali lap for pole was almost legendary. 4/10s on everyone. 

7 hours ago, Chris in Santa Cruz, CA said:

"good manners" & champion - contraditio in se! nobody gets to be any champion, least of all in F! if he's the "after you, sir!" type

...quoting correctly isn't my strong point...

23 hours ago, Innocent Bystander said:

Agree but we have seen Lewis pull the "brake check" and other aggressive blocks  more than once.  I suspect the stewards put a bit  of "Lewis asked for it" in the determination of how much of a penalty to give Seb. OTOH, Seb is all about "they can't do that to me" when he's pretty quick with a block or dive bomb. 

I read the the stewards looked at Merc telemetry and found that LH did not do a brake check 

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-hamilton-vettel-baku-brake-testing-923425/

After the first restart  LH nearly overtook the safety car before it hit the saftey car line.  So LH team told him to allow for a larger gap between him and safety car so as not to overtake...which he seemed to heed.

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2017/06/27/why-hamilton-had-to-slow-the-field-more-during-that-controversial-restart/

20 minutes ago, Marcjsmith said:

I read the the stewards looked at Merc telemetry and found that LH did not do a brake check 

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-hamilton-vettel-baku-brake-testing-923425/

After the first restart  LH nearly overtook the safety car before it hit the saftey car line.  So LH team told him to allow for a larger gap between him and safety car so as not to overtake...which he seemed to heed.

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2017/06/27/why-hamilton-had-to-slow-the-field-more-during-that-controversial-restart/

Yeah.  I see that in the after action stuff. 

11 hours ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

Post race Seb saying he didn't mean to do that is a load of BS - I don't get how he only gets away with a meaningless 3 point hit for deliberately hitting another car.

...like hamilton with braking when he should have been accelarating so the guy behind him ruins his front...

i've seen people being black-flagged for much less than what seb did.

5 hours ago, tane said:

...like hamilton with braking when he should have been accelarating so the guy behind him ruins his front...

Tane, look above in the thread, the telemetry which was reviewed by the stewards said he didn't brake.  Seb just thought that he was going to accelerate when Ham didn't.  It's no surprise really, Seb takes responsibility to none of his actions.  When he dives inside at turn one he screams on the radio that somebody turned in on him and when he's the outside car he screams that somebody dove inside on him and it was an unsafe move.  He's a child.

1 hour ago, derelicte said:

apparently the fia is now going to re-review the incident. 

http://www.crash.net/f1/news/261775/1/vettel-road-rage-incident-to-be-reviewed-again.html

but knowing how the fia treats ferrari, I doubt anything will come of it.

Maybe another 2 points or a 5-10 grid spot penalty.  Doubt they will add a retroactive time penalty or anything else that would change points as they stand. 

I tell you, when schumacher made the feint move like an imminent collision to intimidate other drivers to flinch and avoid a part of the game it marginalized the sport. Sad but real. Its like flopping to draw a penalty kick in soccer. Might win you the event but its shameful behavior. Lot of it in the indy car race last weekend too. Hold your line and take your fate like a man. If you think winning no matter what if you can get away with it is good, then dont be sad when you get fucked by whomever agrees with your ethos.

10 hours ago, Chris in Santa Cruz, CA said:

I tell you, when schumacher made the feint move like an imminent collision to intimidate other drivers to flinch and avoid a part of the game it marginalized the sport. Sad but real. Its like flopping to draw a penalty kick in soccer. Might win you the event but its shameful behavior. Lot of it in the indy car race last weekend too. Hold your line and take your fate like a man. If you think winning no matter what if you can get away with it is good, then dont be sad when you get fucked by whomever agrees with your ethos.

You mean like the "Dial Down" in sailing.  Used to be called hunting, but I guess it was too accurate a description so they tamed it down.  Every sport has it, even ours.  If SV had given LH room and opportunity to avoid him, it would have been OK.

1 hour ago, captnjoe said:

You mean like the "Dial Down" in sailing.  Used to be called hunting, but I guess it was too accurate a description so they tamed it down.  Every sport has it, even ours.  If SV had given LH room and opportunity to avoid him, it would have been OK.

To put it in sailing terms, Seb had no rights so a dial down would draw a penalty. It did. 

these guys are the (top of the very top)³, higheststrung racehorses, destilled from all the racedrivers in the world, sifted, & sifted again & again, with a competitive instinct none of us can really comprehend (not to speak of their driving skills!) - they gotta be allowed some leeway. you can't expect Clydesdales/carthorses (to remain in the "horse-analogy")

& maybe all those Gs aren't all that good for their brains either...

What Seb did deserved more penalty. Can you imagine if this happens in a kids carting race? Pretty sure the kid would get a 1 race ban, minimum. The FIA now have a problem on their hands with regard to future similar incidents, and the precedent this sets.

And let's stop with the Hammy fan boi ism saying he brake-checked Seb; I'm pretty sure the stewards can read telemetry data.

As for Seb vs Schumi - Seb is generally a decent guy who can drive well but sometimes gets a red mist over his visor. His reaction was emotional and instant. Schumi was way more calculating, and executed his overly-aggressive maneuvers to a plan. Seb's behavior is forgivable, if warranting further penalty, while Schumi's wasn't.

On 6/13/2017 at 0:44 AM, theJoker said:

Can someone buy me an F1 racer please? How do I become a professional race car driver?

One should have a supernatural driving skill to be an F1 racer.

8 hours ago, Nice! said:

What Seb did deserved more penalty. Can you imagine if this happens in a kids carting race? Pretty sure the kid would get a 1 race ban, minimum. The FIA now have a problem on their hands with regard to future similar incidents, and the precedent this sets.

And let's stop with the Hammy fan boi ism saying he brake-checked Seb; I'm pretty sure the stewards can read telemetry data.

As for Seb vs Schumi - Seb is generally a decent guy who can drive well but sometimes gets a red mist over his visor. His reaction was emotional and instant. Schumi was way more calculating, and executed his overly-aggressive maneuvers to a plan. Seb's behavior is forgivable, if warranting further penalty, while Schumi's wasn't.

1)  Agreed, and I'm a diehard Tifosi.  But Liberty wants some ROI on the $6Bil they have invested, and this title fight is great for ratings.  The real nonsense is going to happen when a #2 driver "Pulls A Sebbo".  How many times has that already happened?  How bad do you want a ride next season?

2)  And you've never known a German to bend the rules...oh wait...shit, d'oh!

3)  Schumi was infamous for being the latest of the 1st turn late breakers.  But atleast he always went through Options A-D before crashing on the last pass of the last race of the season, Plan H(ill).  Plan V(illeneuve) didn't quite work out so well so he only played  that one once :D.

21 minutes ago, cardinals69 said:

One should have a supernatural driving skill to be an F1 racer.

Or an uncle that runs a nationalized oil industry and has an extra $7Mil in the PR budget to buy you a seat.  Worked for Crashdonaldo for a few seasons.  :D

22 hours ago, Dilligaf0220 said:

1)  Agreed, and I'm a diehard Tifosi.  But Liberty wants some ROI on the $6Bil they have invested, and this title fight is great for ratings.  The real nonsense is going to happen when a #2 driver "Pulls A Sebbo".  How many times has that already happened?  How bad do you want a ride next season?

2)  And you've never known a German to bend the rules...oh wait...shit, d'oh!

3)  Schumi was infamous for being the latest of the 1st turn late breakers.  But atleast he always went through Options A-D before crashing on the last pass of the last race of the season, Plan H(ill).  Plan V(illeneuve) didn't quite work out so well so he only played  that one once :D.

Or an uncle that runs a nationalized oil industry and has an extra $7Mil in the PR budget to buy you a seat.  Worked for Crashdonaldo for a few seasons.  :D

I agree with you!

1 hour ago, cardinals69 said:

I agree with you!

Did you ever hear the story of Schumi piling up a loaner Ferrari on the Autobahn...with Gerhard Burger in the passenger seat?

He rear ended a truckload of cigarettes...that ofcourse were...Rothman's.

According to Gerhard..."I thought we were going to miss him, it was tight.  But then Michael just started muttering "Damon...Damon..."  then he swerved right into him!

On Wednesday, July 05, 2017 at 1:18 PM, Nice! said:

What Seb did dessved more penlty. Can you imagstatementhis happens inmina kids carting race? Pretty sure the kid would get a 1 race ban, minimum. The FIA now have a problem on their hands with regard to future similar incidents, and the precedent this sets.

All of this well said. Totally agree with the seb vs schu comparison. Also agree with the precedent statemnt. NASCAR floundered for years IN shamefull waters playing with let em race vagueness. Guys walking on the track throwing helmets and trying to punch guys IN the car. Tony stewart ended up killing a guy with his sprint car misjudging his INtimidation fuck you burnout next to a fool walking on the track. F1 IS the pinnacle of the sport. No room for sebs head butt move.

Just now, Dilligaf0220 said:

in Did you ever hear the stitry of Schumi piling up a loaner Ferrari on the Autobahn...with Gerhard Burger in the passenger seat?

He rear ended a truckload of cigarettes...that ofcourse were...Rothman's.

According to Gerhard..."I thought we were going to miss him, it was tight.  But then Michael just started muttering "Damon...Damon..."  then he swerved right into him!

Poor gerhard. I think he was IN one of the first mclaren f1s when ron dennis totalled IT at suzuka.

10 minutes ago, Chris in Santa Cruz, CA said:

Poor gerhard. I think he was IN one of the first mclaren f1s when ron dennis totalled IT at suzuka.

Lol the first two seat F1 car...nah wasn't Gerhard but an "unidentified friend of the team", lol.  Gawd I remember that,  The other Finn put the second one through it's paces, gimme a sec...

Edit -- Gah I can't post it, but there's an extended version of Mika taking the second two seat McClaren out with his wife to prove that it was safe...lol in the snow in Finland.  Best I can find on YouTube....

2 hours ago, Chris in Santa Cruz, CA said:

Literally doing a promo with one of the first mclaren f1 road cars ron dennis totalled it at suzuka with berger and mr bean in it.

Oooooohhhhhh the ROAD F1....Lol yeah that was fun.

Eddie Irvine had the best quote about those three seaters, something along the lines of "Yeah, I have a threeseater super car going from LA to Vegas, with two supermodels.  I think sweeeeeet.  The reality is I'm dodging coppers for two hours while they're talking about shoes behind my head...."

Eddie got screwed.  He could actually drive almost as fast as his mouth, lol.

24 minutes ago, suider said:

Nah, Seb. He didn't jump- he just drove away from ya! VB77

Bottas had 2/10ths of a second reaction time to the lights, no Jump Start!

Magic start!  Moved early, but.......

FIA statement:

An FIA spokesman said that any movement observed on Bottas' car between the five lights being on and them going out was within this allowed limit – which is why the Finn was not deemed to have done anything wrong.

"In today's instance, Valtteri Bottas did not exceed this (very small) limit before the start was given," said the spokesman.

"Simply put: he made an exceptionally accurate and fortuitous judgement call, anticipating the moment the lights went out with great precision.

"Any movement prior to the moment the lights went out was within the tolerances allowed."

On 6/13/2017 at 10:23 PM, Dilligaf0220 said:

Well that's just about the worst kept secret in F1 right now.  But it's not as if they can just drop a new engine in and go, the whole car is designed as a package from the ground up so really the earlier they can sign a new engine contract the earlier they can start on next years car.  McClaren really is going to be tight on money, first losing the $100Mil from Honda that isn't even keeping them afloat, THEN having to go out of pocket atleast $20Mil for a top shelf Merc customer engine without a title sponsor after already been hemorrhaging cash for three years...

Not sure if you guys caught any of drama around Lewis after he made a few comments about the quality of Indycar drivers, but that was fun over the weekend.

http://www.planetf1.com/news/pit-chat-lewis-hamilton-likes-nickelback/

1022.6666666666666x767__origin__0x0_qG6i

Hahaha Nice one!

I thought the end would get a little more exciting. it was a pretty boring race. great start by vb, too. man max and fernando can't catch a break. that sucked for both of them.

Lucky or extremely good (or both).  Apparently .0199 is considered jumping the start.  He was measured at .201 and the movement was "within limits" so a clean start by .002 seconds. 

11 hours ago, Innocent Bystander said:

Lucky or extremely good (or both).  Apparently .0199 is considered jumping the start.  He was measured at .201 and the movement was "within limits" so a clean start by .002 seconds. 

Good point Innocent Bystander!

8 hours ago, Chris in Santa Cruz, CA said:

My name is not einstein but some of the math being bandied about here seems suspect nonetheless. 

Thumbs and phones.  AIUI, FIA considers less than .02 sec  (not .2) not humanly possible and will call a jump start below that on reaction time.  .02 or slower is considered possible and will not get called. 

3 hours ago, Innocent Bystander said:

Thumbs and phones.  AIUI, FIA considers less than .02 sec  (not .2) not humanly possible and will call a jump start below that on reaction time.  .02 or slower is considered possible and will not get called. 

What he said, FIA allows two HUNDRETHS of a second, not two TENTHS.  Should be pointed out that (small) movement is allowed before the LAST start light comes on.  Sometimes you'll cars creeping in between the first & last start light, mostly from clutch adjustment, but the car has to be stationary inbetween the LAST start light coming on and lights out.

And just incase nobody has seen what an F1 clutch actually looks like...

Clutch.png

Approx 10cm, total movement fully open to fully closed, 4mm.  Around 5/32 of an inch.

Controlled by a manual on the wheel, that you have to time to 0.02 of a second.

46 minutes ago, cardinals69 said:

Any idea how much is the actual figure of an F1 driver?

There's no "bought" seats in F1 this season...salaries depend on the driver.  Highest is...Alonso at $40Mil (that might ease his pain a little), lowest is Wehrlein at Sauber $150k.

Honourable Mention goes to Valtieri Bottas as the Best Bang For The Buck driver as a championship contender for "only" $8.5Mil.

LH in imperious form in Quali.

Nothing like a little moisture to mix it up early. JB upstaged DC in the post race interviews I wonder if that was planned?

Perfect weekend for Lewis. Now just 1 point behind Vettel.

yep. merc got it right this weekend with a little bad luck from ferrari. too bad as kimi was looking racy. must be contract negotiations time.

really entertaining race from 2nd back.

On 7/17/2017 at 8:13 PM, derelicte said:

yep. merc got it right this weekend with a little bad luck from ferrari. too bad as kimi was looking racy. must be contract negotiations time.

really entertaining race from 2nd back.

I absolutely agree with it!

On 7/13/2017 at 8:53 PM, Dilligaf0220 said:

There's no "bought" seats in F1 this season...

Lance Stroll's dad Lawrence says you owe him $80 million. Or $50. Or $110. But I've not seen anything suggesting he's anything other than a pay driver and he's done well with some points finishes. One look at the deference to his dad in the pit should confirm this, and a consideration of what it takes to finance testing in an old Williams F1 car at Montreal should reinforce this.

11 hours ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

Lance Stroll's dad Lawrence says you owe him $80 million. Or $50. Or $110. But I've not seen anything suggesting he's anything other than a pay driver and he's done well with some points finishes. One look at the deference to his dad in the pit should confirm this, and a consideration of what it takes to finance testing in an old Williams F1 car at Montreal should reinforce this.

Lol $80Mil would probably buy the whole Williams team.

Daddy Stroll has been an F1 pitlane fixture for decades, being the ex-CEO and part owner of the holding company that owns Hilfiger & Pepe Jeans along with working for numerous other luxury clothing brands that have been big sponsors in F1, not to mention owning the Ferrari and Maserati dealership in Montreal.  He spent a metric FUCK TONNE of money GETTING his son's butt into an F1 seat (including outright buying the F3 team Lance won his Euro championship in).  But Lance did win the F3 Euro championship and was signed by Williams before any other sponsorship deals with Daddy Stroll was signed.

Lance is just that rare combination in a race driver of having the talent, AND being filthy rich.

3 hours ago, Chris in Santa Cruz, CA said:

Kind of sad really. The end of an era for sure. Did bianchi miss the yellow flag memo I forget. Id be curious whether the halo as specd would have saved bianchis life. He went in pretty darn hard.

As I recall, they determined that the Halo would not have changed the outcome in any way. Basically, Bianchi stopped. His brain didn't.  The damage was largely inside his skull. Severe Diffuse Axonal Injury due to the deceleration. 

19 hours ago, Henley Hornbrook said:

I just hope they do not go with the Indy Car covered wheels.

Ditto!

4 hours ago, Innocent Bystander said:

But he deserves Max nipping on his heels

absolutely!