Spatial Ed

The Wall

Had a friend.  He was a contract sewer in the LA area.  His business used migrant workers.  Whether they were legal or not was of no consequence to him because there was no issue for him when ICE raided his facility.  The miscreants were simply sent back and he hired other migrant workers.  The migrants were always at fault and took the entire fall.  Sometimes someone did him a favour and leaked a date for a raid.  He let the workers know that they may wish to stay away on that date, but wouldn't let them know why.  If this is the way that business was actually done, I can see why the system is screwed.

On 4/9/2019 at 1:15 PM, Steam Flyer said:

The "hue and cry that we cannot deport everybody who is here illegally" is the fucking reality of the situation, as it exists on the ground.

Personally, I would like to abolish ICE because they are an exo-Constitutional Federal police force, that is poised to dictate to local police forces.... a poor way to fight crime, one; and two, abhorrent to belief in the US Constitution and the rights of US citizens.

Improving the immigration process, yes. Improving enforcement, yes..... otoh I don't see increasing the scourging of brown people as "improvement"

-DSK

Sounds like President Trump feels like the current policy is worth jettisoning.

• Like 1

Military Base Loses Funding for New School to Trump’s Border Wall

For almost two decades, families at Fort Campbell, the sprawling Army base along the Kentucky-Tennessee border, have borne the brunt of the country’s war efforts as a steady clip of troops with the 101st Airborne Division and from Special Operations units deployed to Afghanistan and Iraq.

This week, the families discovered that they would not get the new middle school they were expecting so that President Trump could build his border wall. The school is on the list of 127 projects, touching nearly every facet of American military life, that will be suspended to shift $3.6 billion to the wall.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/05/us/trump-border-wall-military-families.html

3 hours ago, Mid said:

Military Base Loses Funding for New School to Trump’s Border Wall

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/05/us/trump-border-wall-military-families.html

So the children of Service men and women will pay for the wall.

The Pentagon’s decision to divert $62.6 million from the construction of Fort Campbell’s middle school means that 552 students in sixth, seventh and eighth grades will continue to cram themselves in, 30 to a classroom in some cases, at the base’s aging Mahaffey Middle School. Teachers at Mahaffey will continue to use mobile carts to store their books, lesson plans and homework assignments because there is not enough classroom space. Students stuffed into makeshift classrooms-within-classrooms will continue to strain to figure out which lesson to listen to and which one to filter out.

Asked on the CBS program “Face the Nation” in February about the prospect that the Fort Campbell middle school could be sacrificed for the border wall, Senator Lindsey Graham, Republican of South Carolina, said the border came before education. “It’s better for the middle school kids in Kentucky to have a secure border,” Mr. Graham said. “We’ll get them the school they need, but right now we’ve got a national emergency on our hands.”

Gotta love a Republican.

"It's really virtually impenetrable," "20 mountain climbers could not climb this wall" This is the one that was hardest to climb" This wall cannot be climbed" Donald Trump

Smugglers are sawing through new sections of Trump's border wall

Source: WaPo

SAN DIEGO — Smuggling gangs in Mexico have repeatedly sawed through new sections of President Trump’s border wall in recent months by using commercially available power tools, opening gaps large enough for people and drug loads to pass through, according to U.S. agents and officials with knowledge of the damage.

The breaches have been made using a popular cordless household tool known as a reciprocating saw that retails at hardware stores for as little as $100. When fitted with specialized blades, the saws can slice through one of the barrier’s steel-and-concrete bollards in a matter of minutes, according to the agents, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak publicly about the barrier-defeating techniques.

After cutting through the base of a single bollard, smugglers can push the steel out of the way, allowing an adult to fit through the gap. Because the bollards are so tall — and are attached only to a panel at the very top — their length makes them easier to push aside once they have been cut and are left dangling, according to engineers consulted by The Washington Post.

The taxpayer-funded barrier — so far coming with a $10 billion price tag — was a central theme of Trump’s 2016 campaign, and he has made the project a physical symbol of his presidency, touting its construction progress in speeches, ads and tweets. Trump has increasingly boasted to crowds in recent weeks about the superlative properties of the barrier, calling it “virtually impenetrable” and likening the structure to a “Rolls-Royce” that border-crossers cannot get over, under or through.

Read more: https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/smugglers-are-sawing-through-new-sections-of-trumps-border-wall/2019/11/01/25bf8ce0-fa72-11e9-ac8c-8eced29ca6ef_story.html

34 minutes ago, badlatitude said:

"It's really virtually impenetrable," "20 mountain climbers could not climb this wall" This is the one that was hardest to climb" This wall cannot be climbed" Donald Trump

Smugglers are sawing through new sections of Trump's border wall

Source: WaPo

SAN DIEGO — Smuggling gangs in Mexico have repeatedly sawed through new sections of President Trump’s border wall in recent months by using commercially available power tools, opening gaps large enough for people and drug loads to pass through, according to U.S. agents and officials with knowledge of the damage.

The breaches have been made using a popular cordless household tool known as a reciprocating saw that retails at hardware stores for as little as $100. When fitted with specialized blades, the saws can slice through one of the barrier’s steel-and-concrete bollards in a matter of minutes, according to the agents, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak publicly about the barrier-defeating techniques.

After cutting through the base of a single bollard, smugglers can push the steel out of the way, allowing an adult to fit through the gap. Because the bollards are so tall — and are attached only to a panel at the very top — their length makes them easier to push aside once they have been cut and are left dangling, according to engineers consulted by The Washington Post.

The taxpayer-funded barrier — so far coming with a $10 billion price tag — was a central theme of Trump’s 2016 campaign, and he has made the project a physical symbol of his presidency, touting its construction progress in speeches, ads and tweets. Trump has increasingly boasted to crowds in recent weeks about the superlative properties of the barrier, calling it “virtually impenetrable” and likening the structure to a “Rolls-Royce” that border-crossers cannot get over, under or through.

Read more: https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/smugglers-are-sawing-through-new-sections-of-trumps-border-wall/2019/11/01/25bf8ce0-fa72-11e9-ac8c-8eced29ca6ef_story.html

I’m shocked!

The wall has been breached in just about every way that Trump said was impossible.  This would be pretty funny if it wasn't such a waste of tax dollars and if the people supporting Trump didn't still believe every word that comes out of his Putin cock holster.

4 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

I’m shocked!

Not me, this must be in the art of the deal. Trump gets someone to build an impenetrable wall, then when it is compromised, Trump sues, receives the cost of building it back, and the company becomes a pariah forever. Trump wins, the American people only care that he got the money back.

39 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

I’m shocked!

I’m shocked that Trump is so dumb as to use Rolls Royce and an example of something “virtually impenetrable.”  But on further reflection I guess I’m not shocked or even surprised.

^Doing a little Xmas shopping for my Latin friends...

makita-angle-grinders-xag03z-64_1000.jpg

On 3/20/2019 at 12:05 PM, MR.CLEAN said:
On 3/20/2019 at 11:56 AM, Dog said:

The ones I looked at said most drugs come through points of entry.

which ones

Well, not the Points of Exit ones.

Texas judge orders border wall fundraiser not to build

State District Judge Keno Vasquez on Tuesday issued a temporary restraining order against We Build the Wall, which raised $25 million after promising to build its own private barrier. Vasquez set a Dec. 17 hearing for We Build the Wall and its founder, Brian Kolfage, to appear in court in the South Texas city of Edinburg.

https://kutv.com/news/nation-world/texas-judge-orders-border-wall-fundraiser-not-to-build?fbclid=IwAR3sWIZKr3fROqfJpmsQSmmXHJ6Na99FC9vFERAeTPIhLiVcqMlM1EhJO7o

4 hours ago, Bus Driver said:

So much winning.  Anyone else getting tired of it?

Federal Court Rules Trump Border Wall Illegal

I'm not illegal!  You're illegal!

Though I'm supportive as usual when corporations like the Sierra Club and ACLU exercise their first amendment right to expre$$ themselves by filing lawsuits, the headline is Fake News, as their first paragraph shows.

A federal court today ruled that President Trump’s use of emergency powers to divert $3.6 billion in military construction funds for the border wall is unlawful. The ruling came in a lawsuit, Sierra Club v. Trump, filed by the American Civil Liberties Union on behalf of the Sierra Club and Southern Border Communities Coalition.

The wall isn't illegal, it's the Power of PANIC that is illegal, which is why I posted about it in the relevant thread.

In that thread, readers might also learn that

On 12/13/2019 at 5:52 AM, Plenipotentiary Tom said:

the judge's order doesn't prohibit the administration from using up to $2.5 billion in Department of Defense funding originally earmarked to support counter-drug activities.

It looks like the Power of Drug War PANIC remains unrestrained.

So it was only sorta good news, since only some of the Power of PANIC was restrained. Also, guns.

27 minutes ago, BravoBravo said:

border.jpg

Yes, that's called "projection". Also called "demonstrably bullshit".

4 hours ago, Ishmael said:
4 hours ago, BravoBravo said:

border.jpg

Yes, that's called "projection". Also called "demonstrably bullshit".

You do realize you are engaging with a guy who doesn't know the definition of "Satire", right?

2 hours ago, Bus Driver said:

You do realize you are engaging with a guy who doesn't know the definition of "Satire", right?

Sure he knows what a satire is.

91kPjcMGhGL._SY679_.jpg

A wall won't help.   Chinese illegals arrive in style.  

MIAMI — Dozens of Chinese nationals without proper papers have been smuggled from the Bahamas to South Florida by operators of luxury yachts who are charging them thousands of dollars each for the short Atlantic journey, according to federal criminal cases.

Sunseeker-Manhattan-63-Yacht.jpg

OIP.jpg

22 hours ago, Lark said:

A wall won't help.   Chinese illegals arrive in style.  

MIAMI — Dozens of Chinese nationals without proper papers have been smuggled from the Bahamas to South Florida by operators of luxury yachts who are charging them thousands of dollars each for the short Atlantic journey, according to federal criminal cases.

Sunseeker-Manhattan-63-Yacht.jpg

OIP.jpg

Those are "luxury yachts"?.... They look like Clorox bottles with sunglasses on.

25 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

Those are "luxury yachts"?.... They look like Clorox bottles with sunglasses on.

As is often the case, the article's author is ignorant.   He clearly doesn't know the thrill of watching a large rapidly approaching bow wave to make sure there is no danger of collision, followed by the brief thrill of bouncing around trying to keep the boom to leeward while watching one's sails repeatedly collapse.   I have a second amendment right to a acoustic homing torpedoes.    

24 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Blow me down. 
https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/480608-portion-of-newly-built-wall-on-mexico-border-collapses

That’s good work their boys. Trump Builders at it again. 

When you hire the best......

53 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Blow me down. 
https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/480608-portion-of-newly-built-wall-on-mexico-border-collapses

Record numbers of people are reported crossing the border—-from Texas to Mexico.  :lol:

Mexican building contractor says he could have built the wall in less time for less money and it would not have fallen over.

1 hour ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Blow me down. 

37 miles per hour?  Are you fucking kidding me?  

We’d be arguing over whether to set the 1.5 or 2.2. 

9 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

They should have at least reefed..

2 hours ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Blow me down. 

Good to see the illegals were smart enough to use a tunnel ,  so the PERFECT wall wouldn't fall on them:                                                                                                                      4,309-foot-long tunnel in San Diego is longest ever discovered along Southwest border

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/4309-foot-long-tunnel-in-san-diego-is-longest-ever-discovered-along-southwest-border/ar-BBZsDoE?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=mailsignout

3 minutes ago, garuda3 said:

Good to see the illegals were smart enough to use a tunnel ,  so the PERFECT wall wouldn't fall on them:                                                                                                                      4,309-foot-long tunnel in San Diego is longest ever discovered along Southwest border

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/4309-foot-long-tunnel-in-san-diego-is-longest-ever-discovered-along-southwest-border/ar-BBZsDoE?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=mailsignout

That’s a lot of work.  Better to just fly over. 

So in the first interview after this the reporter asked Trump what happened R-reporter T- uh, you know

R - This wall that was involved in this incident in California this week

T - The one that fell down? I'd like to point out that is not very typical

R - It's not?

T - No, there are a lot of these walls all over the world and very seldom does something like this happen and I don't want people thinking that these walls aren't safe

R - Was this wall safe?

T - Well I was thinking about the other ones

R - the ones that are safe?

T - yeah, the ones that don't fall over

(skipping a bunch of really good stuff as I am tired of typing....)

R - so why did this wall fall down?

T - well a wind hit it.

R - a wind hit it?

T - A wind hit the wall

R - a wind hit the wall? Is that unusual?

T - oh yeah, in the desert? A chance in a million.

The good news is it fell out of the environment.  Thank you and good night.

“CBP [Customs and Border Protection] will work with the construction contractor to mitigate the impact of high winds as construction continues,” Pitones said.:dono:

What are they going to do> Shoot the wind?

I keep coming back to "37 MPH" and how that was too much for this structure.  My guess is they did not even factor in wind load, as that is actually a ridiculously low windspeed for something to fail.

17 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

I keep coming back to "37 MPH" and how that was too much for this structure.  My guess is they did not even factor in wind load, as that is actually a ridiculously low windspeed for something to fail.

Rock Ridge Wall Company. 

11 hours ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Blow me down. 

The article says it fell because concrete was not yet cured. If true, it means temporary bracing meant to hold it still while the concrete cured was not up to holding it in that much wind.

16 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

Low for a permanent structure but maybe the temporary forms/braces/whatever were not wind rated or were rated to 30 or something.

1 minute ago, Plenipotentiary Tom said:

The article says it fell because concrete was not yet cured. If true, it means temporary bracing meant to hold it still while the concrete cured was not up to holding it in that much wind.

Low for a permanent structure but maybe the temporary forms/braces/whatever were not wind rated or were rated to 30 or something.

Does Mexico do warranty work?

16 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Does Mexico do warranty work?

Yes, except during siesta time.

Removing and replacing concrete wall foundations that are fucked up is probably and expensive and dirty process.

42 minutes ago, Plenipotentiary Tom said:

I am not an engineer, nor have I recently stayed in a Holiday Inn Express.  That said, doesn't it seem odd to throw up an enormous windbreak atop a foundation not ready to receive the wind load such a structure would be expected to bear?

At least the movie prop structure  in Rick Ridge stayed up until the Waco Kid squeezed off that shot. 

11 hours ago, Bus Driver said:

three-pigs-stick.jpg

ROFLMAO

1 hour ago, Bus Driver said:

I am not an engineer, nor have I recently stayed in a Holiday Inn Express.  That said, doesn't it seem odd to throw up an enormous windbreak atop a foundation not ready to receive the wind load such a structure would be expected to bear?

Depends what "expected to bear" means and over what time frame we're talking about. Here in FL, the powers that be are very stuck on making things resist 150 mph winds. So would that mean that temporary forms/braces should be able to withstand such a blast?

1 hour ago, Plenipotentiary Tom said:

Depends what "expected to bear" means and over what time frame we're talking about. Here in FL, the powers that be are very stuck on making things resist 150 mph winds. So would that mean that temporary forms/braces should be able to withstand such a blast?

As a concrete inspector ( past life) what I can remember , properly mixed concrete can cure to 80% design strenght any where from 2 to 8 days and 100% ( design ) at 28 days, So it sounds like it was a bad mix, probably added too much water after the mix was started, too make it easier to work with

Not debating what wind load they expected it to bear.  They poured the foundation, then threw up the wall (with bracing, we both assume), before the concrete foundation cured.  Does that sound like a reasonable way to build a security structure?

I would think there would be guidelines on how long before erecting the windbreak (I mean, wall) after the concrete pour.  You know.  To let the concrete cure, properly.

Shirley someone can figure out how long to wait, right?

(edit) Just saw garuda's response.  My comments are to be taken with the expectation the mix was done according to spec.  Maybe it wasn't?

1 minute ago, Bus Driver said:

Not debating what wind load they expected it to bear.  They poured the foundation, then threw up the wall (with bracing, we both assume), before the concrete foundation cured.  Does that sound like a reasonable way to build a security structure?

I would think there would be guidelines on how long before erecting the windbreak (I mean, wall) after the concrete pour.  You know.  To let the concrete cure, properly.

See my last post, working at nuclear power plants , forms/ braces would be removed in 8 days,  or earlier if we a 2day  strength break , was within design,

wonder if they used any concrete inspectors ? probably not

Undermined by the hundreds of tunnels underneath the foundation. That and lowest-bid contractors supervised by Trump campaign managers whose only goal is miles built before November.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, garuda3 said:

See my last post, working at nuclear power plants , forms/ braces would be removed in 8 days,  or earlier if we a 2day  strength break , was within design,

wonder if they used any concrete inspectors ? probably not

As soon as my post loaded, I saw yours.  I then edited my post to include a disclaimer about the specs you mentioned.

15 hours ago, Bus Driver said:

Reef the main, get the chicken chute up, and get me a beer.

• Like 1

Every pour I was ever part of that was structural - roads, foundations, footers etc required samples sent to a lab for testing. Get a fail? Bust it out and do it over again. 

But Trump knows walls better than anybody.

I just think it is funny.  Unlike when you hear those words from your spouse, I really do think it is funny, and my disposition is not about to turn in a far less agreeable direction in the next moment. 

4 hours ago, jerseyguy said:

Shit.  Fuck the reef.  Hoist the 1.5 and get everyone stacked up on the stern pulpit.

No sense in not setting the anchors while the mud is wet, but you don't set the structure up until the mud is set. That's a pretty simple concept.

Haste makes waste....

7 hours ago, d'ranger said:

Every pour I was ever part of that was structural - roads, foundations, footers etc required samples sent to a lab for testing. Get a fail? Bust it out and do it over again. 

But Trump knows walls better than anybody.

Wish I had a $$$ for all these I broke, oh I did:

20 hours ago, Bus Driver said:

That said, doesn't it seem odd to throw up an enormous windbreak atop a foundation not ready to receive the wind load such a structure would be expected to bear?

17 hours ago, Bus Driver said:

Not debating what wind load they expected it to bear. 

Sorry, I thought I saw something in your question about that subject.

22 hours ago, Bus Driver said:

That said, doesn't it seem odd to throw up an enormous windbreak atop a foundation not ready to receive the wind load such a structure would be expected to bear?

19 hours ago, Bus Driver said:

Not debating what wind load they expected it to bear. 

Sorry, I thought I saw something in your question about that subject.

If you don't edit my comment, I believe it is clear (at least to those not being an insufferable twat) that I was addressing the pour, not whether they designed it to withstand a 35 MPH wind or a 38 MPH wind.

19 hours ago, Bus Driver said:
21 hours ago, Plenipotentiary Tom said:

(edit) Just saw garuda's response.  My comments are to be taken with the expectation the mix was done according to spec.  Maybe it wasn't?

On 1/30/2020 at 10:09 AM, jerseyguy said:

Pit needs to play the vang aggressively if you want to stay upright.

Actually I’ve never hoisted a chicken chute. But I have chicken gybed offshore. It was blowing 40+ and the skipper wanted options and I remembered my dinghy lessons. Not exactly racerly but it did kinda save the day.