Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tornado_ALIVE

2017 F18 Australian Championship

The Pinkster Gin 2017 Australian F18 Championship will commence on Australia Day, Thursday the 26th January to Sunday 29th January. The event will be hosted by the Port Melboure Sailing Club.

Pinkster Gin are the event naming rights sponsor. I am sure a few gins will be enjoyed after racing.

Forward Sailing are again supporting the event this year with another sponsor to be announced shortly.

Entries so far total 33 boats with many due to enter in the next 2 weeks. We are expecting the largest fleet in the Australian class's history of approx 50 boats.

Competitor list so far

http://websites.sportstg.com/assoc_page.cgi?c=1-11554-0-0-0&sID=389257

Skipper Crew STATE

Peter Manley Stefan Ochsenbein ACT

Murray Makin Danielle Makin NSW

Lucy Nissen Ethan Micallef NSW

Christopher Brewin Richard Brewin NSW

Kyle Amadio Travis Thorn NSW

Alan Herbert Dean Nissen NSW

Grant ROGERS Natalie Rogers NSW

Gordon Beath Harry West QLD

Daniel Van Kerckhof Nathan Van Kerckhof QLD

David Morton Jacob Bainger SA

Simon Hallsworth Ben Clark SA

Peter Yates Ronnie Lane SA

Peter Jenkin Matthew Chatterton SA

Alexander Blacker Alexander Bath SA

Darren Flanagan Quentin Cook TAS

Rohan Hollingsworth Greg Hollingsworth TAS

Anthony Fleming Jason Smyth TAS

Jeremy Brookes Cameron Barwick VIC

Stephen Owens Philip Owens VIC

Mark Stichbury-Cooper Stephen Medwell VIC

Chris Boag Tom Salt VIC

Tayla Rietman Harrison Rietman VIC

Michael Burdack ANGUS BROOKES VIC

James Spencer James Waters VIC

James McDonald Adam Coe VIC

Christopher Caines Christopher Caines VIC

Brett Burvill Lachlan Gibson WA

Gavin Parker Mark Parker WA

Bevan Chrimes Ben Hillman WA

Ellis Simon Dion Alston WA

Gareth Brown Paul Raymond WA

Glenn Randall Brendan Smith WA

James Clark Max PUTTMA WA

33 boats officially entered. I know of at least the following who are still to enter.

- 9 x Vic boats

- 1 x NSW boat

- 1 x SQLD

- 1 x NZL

This gives us 45 boats. Not sure how many NSW, SQLD and NQLD boats are still to enter.

That's a shame, it would have been great to catch up again........ Unfortunately many of the Hobie and Nacra guys do their own class regattas @ low numbers and don't come to the F18 events. If they all played with the F18s I believe we would crack 60, possibly get close to 70 at the F18 Nationals.

I think the people who do their Manufacturer nationals are often being forced into it by when they can get leave. Then of course there is the loyalty many people feel after sailing with the same group of people for in many cases there whole life.

Yeah, it is a shame. race between 2 and 10 of your class..... Or race 45 to 55 boats, I would love to see the Nacra and Hobie guys sail with us. Some do.

I'm told there is some bad blood with some of the Hobie F18 guys due to past issues with the F18 association which keeps them away. But for me it is simply that my priority is to do regatta's with mates that I have been sailing against for over 30 years. Plus the F18 nationals dates just never seem to work for me.

I believe WA next year mate, should start planning.... It will be a cracker. Hopefully we can get a container across which will allow me to take some VERY back roads across :-o

Shame about the politics. A lot of new guys in the class that are not a part of that and would love to race their mates. Everyone should just get over it, come race and drink rum..... Or Gin this year :D

40 boats entered so far, expecting 45 plus. Biggest Nationals in the Australian class history, dispite many regulars who were unavailable this year. The class is in a strong position at the moment. 😃

Peter Manley Stefan Ochsenbein ACT

Murray Makin Danielle Makin NSW

Lucy Nissen Ethan Micallef NSW

Christopher Brewin Richard Brewin NSW

Kyle AMADIO Travis Thorn NSW

Alan Herbert Grant Maver NSW

Grant ROGERS Natalie Rogers NSW

Steven Brewin Andrew Williams NSW

Gordon Beath Harry West QLD

Daniel Van Kerckhof Nathan Van Kerckhof QLD

Colin Kean Ethan White QLD

David Morton Jacob Bainger SA

Simon Hallsworth Ben Clark SA

Peter Yates Ronnie Lane SA

Peter Jenkin Matthew Chatterton SA

Alexander Blacker Alexander Bath SA

Darren Flanagan Quentin Cook TAS

Rohan Hollingsworth Greg Hollingsworth TAS

Anthony Fleming Jason Smyth TAS

Jeremy Brookes Cameron Barwick VIC

Stephen Owens Philip Owens VIC

Mark Stichbury-Cooper Stephen Medwell VIC

Chris Boag Tom Salt VIC

Tayla Rietman Harrison Rietman VIC

Michael Burdack ANGUS BROOKES VIC

James Spencer James Waters VIC

Gary Haywood Malcolm Byrne VIC

James McDonald Adam Coe VIC

Christopher Caines Christopher Caines VIC

Richard Hampton Jonathan Shue VIC

Jonathan Bannister Rob Stillwell VIC

Richard Gough Campbell Weddell VIC

Brett Burvill Lachlan Gibson WA

Gavin Parker Mark Parker WA

Bevan Chrimes Ben Hillman WA

Ellis Simon Dion Alston WA

Gareth Brown Paul Raymond WA

Glenn Randall Brendan Smith WA

James Clark Max PUTTMA WA

Gavin Colby Kieran WA

Some crews to keep an eye on this year....

Brett Burvill / Lachlan Gibson - Windrush

Gavin Colby / Kieran - Windrush

Gavin Parker / Mark Parker - Windrush

Chris Boag / Tom Salt - Cirrus

Steve Brewin / Andrew Williams - Exploder

Chris Brewin / Richard Brewin - C2

Daniel Van Kerckhof / Nathan Van Kerckhof - C2

Micah Wilkinson / Olivia Mackay - C2 (New Zealand)

TA, no Infusion Mk. 2's on that list? Part of the Aussie class drama? In any event, very solid fleet size, sounds like a fun even regardless of what platform you're on!

Sam a big part of the cat scene on Australia is location based (largely due to manufacturer location) . Traditionally Nacras are strong in QLD and Northern NSW, Hobies pretty much across the country but strongest in NSW, Goodall boats in VIC and Windrushes in WA. You then get people with A cat history looking towards Goodalls as well as a traditional supplier. If you look at the two lists above the Windrushes on TA's second list are being sailed by WA crews (including Brett Burvill the builder). Chris Boag is the Cirrus agent, Steve Brewin has been working closely with Jacub from Exploder on his product development and the C2s are being sailed by people with Goodall/AHPC histories. So no politics there just location, loyalty and time allowances.

Sam a big part of the cat scene on Australia is location based (largely due to manufacturer location) . Traditionally Nacras are strong in QLD and Northern NSW, Hobies pretty much across the country but strongest in NSW, Goodall boats in VIC and Windrushes in WA. You then get people with A cat history looking towards Goodalls as well as a traditional supplier. If you look at the two lists above the Windrushes on TA's second list are being sailed by WA crews (including Brett Burvill the builder). Chris Boag is the Cirrus agent, Steve Brewin has been working closely with Jacub from Exploder on his product development and the C2s are being sailed by people with Goodall/AHPC histories. So no politics there just location, loyalty and time allowances.

Gotta take into account the after-market service provided too, Perth is very isolated, so having one of Brett's boats and being near him makes life a bit simpler than having a boat from... Oh and the Edge's are bloody quick and handle the Freo doctor really nicely.

Some crews to keep an eye on this year....

Brett Burvill / Lachlan Gibson - Windrush

Gavin Colby / Kieran - Windrush

Gavin Parker / Mark Parker - Windrush

Chris Boag / Tom Salt - Cirrus

Steve Brewin / Andrew Williams - Exploder

Chris Brewin / Richard Brewin - C2

Daniel Van Kerckhof / Nathan Van Kerckhof - C2

Micah Wilkinson / Olivia Mackay - C2 (New Zealand)

I would keep my eyes peeled for one of the other Windrushes as well, Clarky and Puttman.

The 2017 Pinkster Gin F18 Nationals kicked of today with two practice races. Approximately 26 boats were on the start line in with an 8 to 12 knots sea breeze in race one building to a 15 to 18 knot breeze in race two. With an outgoing tide against the wind, seas picked up a bit with quite short sharp chop, trademark Port Melbourne conditions to keep crews on their toes dispite the moderate breeze.

Tommorow will see the start of formal racing with 45 boats on the start line.

image_zpslipqffy7.jpeg

image_zpsbx9owtki.jpeg

Results after day 1.

Chris Boag and Tom Salt are sailing very well and leading the regatta on their Cirrus. Van Kerckhofs are in second and Kiwi team of Olivia McKay and Micah Wilkinson are in third. Brett Burvill OCS'ed in the first day and is back in the pack at least until a drop comes into play.

Today looks like we will see light winds of 5 to 10 knots, hopefully building to 15 if we are out late enough as the sea breeze fills in. Keep an eye on the Kiwis in the light. They weigh in at 135kg and are very quick.

image_zpsotpktrfm.jpeg

With a 10:30 start and a sea breeze trying to fill in, today was always going to be light and patchy. Conditions varied between 5 and 15 knots with a lot of holes and a bit of slop to ensure finding boat speed a challenge.

The Van Kerckhof brothers who finished 2nd last year were very slick today scoring 3 bullets and a second taking them to the top of the leader board, 13 points clear of the Kiwi team of Olivia and Micah.

Gavin Colby and Brett Burvill also had solid days moving up into 3rd and 4th respectively with Steve Brewin rounding out the top 5.

Tomorrow is scheduled for 3 races commencing at 10:30. Forecast is again a slow building sea breeze from the south which will see similar conditions to today.

Any scores for today T_A? I know, beggars can't be choosers!

Sounds like sailing well and playing the course properly were the name of the game today! Slop+light air is challenging for sure.

Sure was, quite a few positional changes. The Cirrus that dominated day 1 had a shocker yesterday dropping from 1st to 9th. We are also having a very poor regatta. Just not sailing well together as a team at the moment. We really want a good 20 knots and big waves.

Anyway, below are the results from yesterday.

image_zpsfawwbpxt.jpeg

Due to a light Northerly blowing in the morning and a forecast of a sea breeze, racing was postponed until about lunch time. With land temperatures rapidly rising and a light Northerly carrying it off shore, the sea breeze was bound to fill in quickly however no body expected it to arrive with such a punch.

With racing on the way, the wind quickly filled into 20knots plus. By the top mark, the wind increased to what would have been around the 30 knot mark and seas built up very short and sharp ensuring the bear aways will be interesting.

Several boats cartwheeled whilst turning the corner whilst others rounded with much effort and plenty of buried bows. The first downwind saw at least 12 boats cartwheel and the Exploder of Brewin/Williams snap their mast. About 6 spinnaker poles also broke from nose dives resulting in about 2/3rds of the fleet retiring.

Racing was postponed after this race with racing resuming at 3pm when the wind subsided to 15 to 18 knots.

The Van Kerckof brothers sailed consistently scoring 6, 6, 5 maintaining the lead at the conclusion of day 3. Brett Burvill was the biggest mover, scoring 2, 1, 2, moving up into 2nd place, 4 points from the lead and 6 points in front of the 3rd place Kiwi team.

Brewin / Williams returned to shore replacing their mast along with their mainsail, running a Stevie deck sweeper. In the second session, they finished 2nd and 1st, moving into 4th position.

Boag / Salt had their Cirrus wound up in the breeze, scoring a 1st in race one of the day. They developed so much of a lead on the first lap in the fresh conditions, they decided to err on the side of cation and not run the kite down wind on the second lap. Lap 3, they hoisted the kite again to ensure they were not run down by the rest of the fleet on the way home to a finish. Backing up this win with 2 third places has seen them jump back up the leader board rounding out the top 5.

Tomorrow, the final day is scheduled for an early 9.30 start. With another sea breeze forecast, morning breeze may be light and fickle.

What's the beach goss on Steve's deck sweeper? I'm sure people are talking but is it showing advantage in any conditions?

It was an old spare which was probably not the quickest, Stevie just sailed well as he normally does. He said he might make a good one at a later date.

Racing today started at 9.30 am in a light 5 to 10 knot southerly with the last two races scheduled. Race leaders, Daniel and Nathan Van Kerckhof were clinging to a narrow 4 point lead over the Windrush team of Brett Burvill and Lachlan Gibson. The Van Kerckhof brothers finished 2nd to Brett Burvill last year in a close fought series and they were determined to not be bridesmaids again this year.

Pre race, Daniel was spotted on the shore getting a very swollen foot strapped and swallowing pain killers for what is suspected as a possible broken foot. When asked, Daniel said it was not fount to stop him jumping on the boat and finishing off the regatta.

Race 11, the Van Kerckhof brothers after a bad start fought their way back to the fleet scoring 2nd behind the Kiwi team of Olivia and Micah with Burvill/Gibson coming third. This was enough to see the Van Kerckhof brothers win the 2017 Pinkster F18 Australian Championships.

Race 12, Burvill finished off a great series with a bullet, closely followed by the Van Kerckhof's

Final results were the NSW team, Daniel and Nathan Van Kerckhof in 1st, WA/Vic team of Brett Burvill and Lachlan Gibson in second, NZ team of Olivia MacKay and Micah Wilkinson in 3rd (also first female skipper). 4th were another WA team of James Clark and Max Puttman. 5th was NSW team of Steve Brewin and Andrew Williams.

1st Gen boat winner went to 14 year old Jack Challands and 18 year old Edward James after Ed bought the boat, his first F18 days before the event.

Youth winners were 15 year old Lachlan Hughes sailing with 18 year old Harrison Reitman. This team who also have not raced an F18 before finished 9th in a very hot fleet and in front of some very experienced F18 sailors. Very encouraging signs for the next generation of cat sailors coming through.

The Formula 18 Association along with the Port Melbourne Yacht Club and all sailors involved would like to thank the event sponsors as events like this do not happen without their assistance. We would like to thank, Pinkster Gin who have just entered the Australian market with their premium Gin. Many Gins were enjoyed after daily races along with many take home bottles bough once sailors had experienced the smooth refreshing taste of Pinkster Gin.

Victorian State Government who is a strong supporter of sport in this State also heavily supported this even.

We would also like to thank Forward Sailing and Off the Beach Marine who have been a regular supporter of sailing in Australia including the F18 class.

The 2017 event broke records being the largest National Fleet of F18s in the classes history. The event was also very relaxed and all competitors enjoyed the friendly whilst very competitive racing.

2018 Nationals will be held in Western Australia who have been strong supporters of the class for many years. The F18 class will also be putting in a bid for the 2020 F18 World Championships. If we are successful, it will be the second time the class has held a World Championship in Australia

Thanks for the reporting TA!!

Doesn't look like that particular decksweeper worked out in the light air...it's a sail shape I've been wanting to try for a while now but requires a fair bit of effort to get right...

Also sounds like the platforms are all pretty even, save perhaps the Cirrus R which is a well built boat and rocketship in breeze (it crushes in the carribean events!!) but getting it going in light air is a bit challenging!

Correct, the Cirrus was lighting quick in a breeze but they did struggle in the light. Not sure if it is the boat (which I suspect) or their new sails. The C2's and Edges proved to be the all round performers.

We did not have a good regatta,I injured my back training the weekend before and just couldn't make it through all 4 days of the event. A bit disapointing however am pumped for next year's Nats in Western Australia and also the prospects of the AUS Worlds. May even look at Florida in 2018.

I think its the Cirrus hull shape. The sails (Hydes or SI's) and rig have been proven before on other platforms and are capable of winning a world championship, though in the case of the Cirrus mast/SI sails developed on the Phantom, Alex Udin specifically targeted the middle and upper wind range, accepting a top 10 finish in lighter conditions (this is re-hash of interviews on the Phantom F18 design/build). Anyway, the Hyde sails/Infusion rig are a fast combination and I am sure the Hyde sails/Cirrus rig or SI sails/Cirrus rig aren't slowing them down. I've just never seen that platform get moving when its light, BCM have been doing some foil work perhaps to help bridge the gap, but even in the hands of top sailors it just sticks in the drifters.I think the problem is related to the concavity in the back end of the hull separating the flow and increasing drag in light air.

The Exploder seemed to go fairly well across the conditions but was perhaps hampered a bit by the rig failure and non-optimized decksweeper?

I missed that the Boag's were being sailed with Landy's...so much variation and testing!

The F18 class will also be putting in a bid for the 2020 F18 World Championships. If we are successful, it will be the second time the class has held a World Championship in Australia

Vincentia would be a good venue for a F18 worlds!

The club should talk to the F18 committee and place a submission.

Also, would love to work with the Hobie class to encourage their members to attend F18 regattas. I saw my first Wildcat up close at the regatta and was impressed with what I saw. Unfortunately without that exposure, F18 sailors looking for a new F18 will unlikely consider a Wildcat if they don't have an opportunity to view them or see how they perform.

Sam, I agree. I have sailed a lot against this Cirrus and I personally believe the Cirrus hull shape is a little sticky in light winds. If he performs well in the light, I believe it has more to do with them being exceptional sailors.

I also believe the C2 and Edge are the best all rounders with the Edge having a very slight advantage in heavy conditions and the C2 in lighter, sloppier conditions. That sail, they are pretty evenly matched.