Gouvernail

2017 Centerboard Circuit of Texas

What are we doing this year people. Theo and I are trying to figure out if we are buying a UFO, Aero (probably not), crewing for someone else, what?

I would like to offer my UFO to TCC sailors for testing here at LCYC.

I haven't heard when it will arrive, but when it does we should have a foiling play day.

Maybe we can convince John to bring his Moth.

We can also play with the S9s - 4 of them here now.

Charlie

I very much believe in foilers as the next generation of racing, but I wonder how we could possibly race foilers and non-foilers. Might we have two fleets within TCC?

I plan to foil this year, I'm just not completely sure how yet :)

I very much believe in foilers as the next generation of racing, but I wonder how we could possibly race foilers and non-foilers. Might we have two fleets within TCC?

Once upon a time, people wondered this about multihulls. In anything other than an extremely packed racecourse, it has apparently presented a non-issue. What's interesting about foilers like the UFO is that they access a huge amount of their performance at such a low end of the wind range when they take off. The performance gains on windspeed are decidedly non-linear. It's the first boat I've had where you go from having a fun displacement boat to going double the wind speed when the wind climbs to a steady 8. Down below that wind speed you aren't epic but you're at least relaxed, thanks to the boat's immense stability.

On an unrelated note, I used to ignore this thread, but for the occasional canoe-related comment from Ortega or Big D. It's been a real pleasure to get to know more of this fleet. I'm looking forward to doing some flight school work down in Rush Creek in a few months.

DRC

I think the TCC is pretty obviously about to either die or go through an evolution. Obviously I want the second. What that evolution is I don't know. Foilers? Aero fleet? Both? Both could work. Two starts if needed. When Bartlet flies around it's never caused us an issue. The canoes are way faster and it's an interesting turtle and hare journey around the course. My love is one design but if we buy one of these foilers I think we all learned watching the americas cup that boat speed is way second to boathandling and whether you are in the water or not. If Daren builds one it will seemingly be sorta close for us to compete with in my head.

Howdy Everyone,

Jen and I talked this weekend about the TCC. We both want to keep it going. It gives us a chance to race our boats and others to come play with us.. We're going to be looking at a schedule here soon and I need to get Lindy and Harpoonette together so we can work out the web site details. Right now our thoughts are to keep it simple and 6-9 events. I will be trying to get in touch with Stillhouse sailing club and see if the Bridge Too Far is a go this year. That was about as far as we got. I'd love to hear input from everyone.

Best regards,

Fishingmickey

Sounds great to me. We are in as usual. Happy to host on lake Waco for a long distance if needed Let me know how we can help. Got a new main without holes. Ha!

Would love to team up with the aeros if they want. Cause well, I like those people.

I'd say let's just stick with the usual.

Bridge Too Far (we can start ourselves and time ourselves if we can't get ahold of them)

AYC Opening Day

Conroe

Rush Creek Dinghy Fest (I have mixed emotions here, but don't want to leave the Dallas folks out)

Turnback

Summer Solstice

Austin Centerboard

Wurstfest

My disdain of Rush Creek has subsided since the last boondoggle. I'd be up for a Dallas adventure again, assuming it isn't a conflict.

I guess we need to get the dates as soon as possible so our calendars don't fill up. With Kaylee's sailing schedule and GBCA events.. I am likely to be pretty busy this year.

I can't recall if the RCYC "boondogle" was the Spring or Fall edition. Anyone?

The schedule listed looks great from a "Three Bears" perspective. Just about right.

Whenever I get the UFO, my plan is, like Charlie, to have a coming out sail day, mine at RCYC. I don't see why UFOs can't sail with the normal fleet because, as Clarie points out, it's unlikely any of the newb foilers will have cracked the code to get the boat around the course with any sense of alacrity for the first year. Fun? Heck yes. Screw ups? Massive, but that's okay. It's going to be a blast!

This would give us 7 races. Do we want 2 in October? Any races in September instead?

Bridge Too Far - March 25 (tentative on their club)

Conroe Board Boat Regatta - April 8-9 (date guessed)

Turnback May 27-28 (firm)

Summer Solstice June 17-18 (date guessed)

Rush Creek Dingyfest October 14-15 (firm)

Austin Centerboard October 21-22 (date guessed)

Wurstfest November 4-5 (date guessed)

Deleted AYC opening day, people can go if they want? Other considerations

Rush Creek Spring DinghyFest May 6-7.

Fort Worth is a great boat club, says they are hosting Leukemia Cup this year TBD.

Canyon is a favorite for everyone, they are July 2. HYC June 23.

I also agree time has healed my Rush Creek wounds, so I'd go back. Our UFO should be here in May-ish and I suspect we will flounder around significantly and just try to stay out of the way. Will maybe keep the Johnson for light wind days or if the UFO proves to be too hard for us to sail.

I'd be willing to drive to Houston another time as well. Just depends on who wants to participate with what I guess.

Oh wow! Love the replies!

I talked with Harpoonette this evening. She is going to see if she can find out the date for the Jan. AYC board meeting and get the dates for the Centerboard regatta down. It has usually been in September. We both think it is likely that Turnback this year will be the full course again with the lake being full.

It would be nice to have both Spring and Fall dinghyfests on the schedule to insure at least a couple of events in the Dallas area. One thing that makes me a little leery Claire is Leukemia Cup events have a tendency to be pretty pricey entry fee wise. If FWBC had something maybe a little bit more dinghy specific perhaps that would be a good fit. Let's keep the conversation going and get a schedule figured out for 2017.

Fishingmickey

All sounds good to me. Someone add in spring dinghy fest and the Austin dates when you have em.

And I agree luekemia is pricey but I'm ok with it. Not up to me though.

WELL, finally some new input, have not been watching for a while as it's FRIGGIN winter, but glad to hear everyone will be around again next year. Big D and I are going skiing(snowbird, alta. etc), hope I remember how!

Love all you nuts and will be happy to sail anywhere, anytime, like the ideas so far. I will NEVER sell Stella, so wave when you go by and I'm upside down, but love to try me a UFO also. It will be an interesting year!

Spring Dinghyfest is in May, same as Turnback. So I'm leaving it off the draft schedule unless someone says they want to do two in May or people say they would rather do Rush Creek Spring than Turnback. I think everyone really likes Turnback though. Leaving Ft. Worth off because I don't think they are dinghy focused and the location is bad for the Houston folks? June HYC too close to Solstice and we normally don't plan a race in July.

So if the Austin race is in Sept, that would work pretty well? Any other suggestions?

Turnback May 27-28 (firm)

Seabrook Summer Solstice June 17-18 (date guessed)

Austin Centerboard October 21-22 (date guessed, may also be September)

If Leukemia Cup pricing is truly an issue, please let me know!

We will NOT lose participants due to entry fees - I promise!

I don't think he's referring to LCYC's Dr Branch Leukemia Cup in July. Maybe Houston YC's or Fort Worth Boat Club's. 'Cuz $30 solo or $40 with a crew is pretty cheap.

I believe the Branch race fell off TCC's schedule after a couple really light air years. In those conditions, the distance race is brutal in a dinghy with the horrible motorboat and PWC wakes and chop toward the West end of the lake.

In the FWIW department, FWBC is making a push to get dinghies back. Our Laser fleet has been blasted with invitations to the FWBC Annual Regatta which is to be held April 21-23. Haven't sailed there since the early 90s in J-24s, so I don't know the dinghy outlook there. But I know for the first time in a long time, there is interest in getting dinghies over there.

We personally have plans July 4th weekends normally, so that's why it doesn't work for us. If others want to do LCYC July speak up.

Also, I would love to go to FWBC, love that club, so let's keep an eye on their calendar and see what shows up? Would y'all like to look at that instead of Conroe? Surprised Mike hasn't chimed in on what dates they are doing stuff down there. My vote would be stick with Conroe if there's something happening because they have camping and Ft. Worth doesn't.

Hi all, To explain my comment regarding the Luke cup being pricey . It was two or three years back maybe more and It was at one of the Dallas clubs. Entry fee was $105 for single handed and more for double handed. I am in agreement with True North regarding frequency of events.

FM

P.S. I'm not a fan of trying to sail on Canyon fourth of July weekend. Motor boat traffic is just/has been plain horrendous.

Luke cup was at White Rock for a while and was great fun but pricey, but great food and drinks, heck even Jobson came and spoke one year. I'd be in for SD before turnback as ls not so much fun on a canoe for two days, BTF is fun unless nuking. Keep at it, we'll figure somethin good out.

White rock not hosting Luke cup according to website. Agree turn back is a very long uncomfortable way if there's no wind. So maybe we switch that to rush creek more dinghy focused?

Swapped Turnback for RCYC Dinghyfest. This would put us Dallas twice and Austin once. Austin is easier for me (selfish) and we've had better turn outs there (non selfish), so is there another Austin we can consider and choose one of the Dallas this year and then if it doesn't suck expand to two next year if people want? I guess wait and see the fall date Austin has? Do they have a spring that would be good?

DRAFT SCHEDULE

Rush Creek Spring Dinghyfest May 6-7 (firm)

Seabrook Summer Solstice June 17-18 (date guessed)

Among other things, I have a very large head and can be hard to fit. But I found my old windsurfing helmet. The innards are in good shape. Will try on my wetsuits tonight.

I have no idea how to read sailflow conditions for foiling. Pretty light.

First and foremost, my apologies for the debacle that was 2016. I may have bit off a bit more than I should have and then ignored the suggestions of the membership. Will be a happy participant this year on the Aero 9.

Conroe has the TCC on the schedule for April 8&9 Spring Fling Regatta. This race will also serve as the Aero Texas State Chanpionships, Laser District 15 Circuit stop and the Sunfish regional World Qualifier.

For those that have not attended this regatta, we have plenty of camping space with a renovated clubhouse. Hope to have 50 boats this year.

Happy New Year, ya'll!

Mike

No prob Mike. Leading anything is hard. Look forward to the April race. Can you update the website still? Or give us the login?

For scoring this year, I propose we just use the results from the regattas (and try to work with them to get them right). If you don't show you get a 10. Lowest score wins. One race thrown out? TOTALLY OPEN TO SUGGESTIONS.

Is someone reaching out to Stillhouse?

DRAFT SCHEDULE

Conroe Board Boat Regatta - April 8-9 (firm)

Seabrook Summer Solstice June 17-18 (date guessed, Claire facebooked them asking)

Austin Centerboard October 21-22 (date guessed, may also be September, Jenni/Mike asking)

Darin is going to buy his own. Come on man. Race me. Race me. Race me. I mean if your crazy printing thing works out that fine too, but if not...I think these boats are easily flipable $ wise.

DRAFT SCHEDULE

Seabrook Summer Solstice June 17-18 (date guessed, Claire facebooked them asking)

Austin Centerboard October 21-22 (date guessed, may also be September, Jenni/Mike asking)

Wurstfest November 4-5 (firm)

Curious why everyone wants to go so fast and leave the rest of the fleet. No matter how fast a "sailboat" gets, it'll still be slow. We had 15 Aeros at Wurstfest and had a blast. It truly was a test of the best sailor. Jeff Jones is fast, if you all didn't already know.

I'm hoping the fleet will eventually evolve and keep up. I had a blast just tinkering with your boat after the races. But for us, we just wanted to do something different. New skills rather than polishing the old ones. I hope both types of boat thinking succeed. But for the same amount of money the opportunity to foil was just something we had to try.

It will be a banner year, a banner year I say. If KO has another Aero charter I'm in, other wise, will be on Stella as usual, if we ever have a light wind regatta, might just get to ring that victory bell.

No prob Mike. Leading anything is hard. Look forward to the April race. Can you update the website still? Or give us the login?

For scoring this year, I propose we just use the results from the regattas (and try to work with them to get them right). If you don't show you get a 10. Lowest score wins. One race thrown out? TOTALLY OPEN TO SUGGESTIONS.

Is someone reaching out to Stillhouse?

DRAFT SCHEDULE

Hi Claire,

I have been in contact with Stillhouse. No word yet on B2F.

FM

First and foremost, my apologies for the debacle that was 2016. I may have bit off a bit more than I should have and then ignored the suggestions of the membership. Will be a happy participant this year on the Aero 9.

Conroe has the TCC on the schedule for April 8&9 Spring Fling Regatta. This race will also serve as the Aero Texas State Chanpionships, Laser District 15 Circuit stop and the Sunfish regional World Qualifier.

For those that have not attended this regatta, we have plenty of camping space with a renovated clubhouse. Hope to have 50 boats this year.

Happy New Year, ya'll!

Mike

Happy New Mike! If you can just get the web site information to Harponette via email that'll work. My fishing and sailing schedules don't hardly collide at all except...Conroe.

FM

I'll worry about our handicap when 1)boat is made 2) makes it to Texas 3) we learn how to get off the dock 4) we are able to make it around a race course

Until then watch out, we got a new main for the Johnson that doesn't have holes in it. Ha.

I'd say a fair handicap for the UFO is the fleet starts on Saturday and the UFO starts on Sunday...

I will forward the website details and account to Jenny.

I disagree. Obviously I'm trying to keep my expectations low, but we don't even know what wind is needed. Will it drift competitively? Cause that's what we did last year all year. So who knows at all.

That said, check out fulcrum on Facebook. That crazy guy is sailing and got it to 25. Burr. Glad he's beating the hell out of it.

Are Aeros in TCC in 2017? If they're out and sail in their own fleet, what's the worry about the UFO? If they're in TCC, what's the worry about the UFO?

Regardless of the handicap one applies to the UFO, it is extremely unlikely that a Texas UFO guy or gal is going to win a TCC regatta. None of the people whom I know are buying UFOs have tons of experience in sailing this kind of boat -- I sure as hell don't. I sailed one once, and it was one HELL of a lot of fun. And it will be even more fun trying to make my way around a course, "try" being the operant word.

Anyway, it's going to be fun.

As we all know in TCC, when JB is up and foiling he wins by a day, when he's displacing he's slow. It will be a while before a UFO wins, but it will sure be fun watching, and that's half the fun. When y'all get them and figure out where the beer holder goes, let me know...

It's probably best to determine a local UFO rating as you go, essentially as a means of subsidizing a learning curve. I'm sure everybody would find that as a fair handout to people taking on a new adventure. If I told you the rating of the boat we designed the polars to resemble, it would probably take some of the fun out of it. re: Claire's comment on drifting, it's certainly no straight-board A-cat in a drifter but there's a real game to be played with reefing the foils in those conditions and popping the sterns out. The canoes will rule the day in 5 knots, as usual.

DRC

I have no idea what those above words mean. I do not anticipate being much of a threat.

We may just race the Johnson and bring the with

for us to all play with. We have no clue or no plan. If we do race and y'all think we are winning by unfair handicap that's fine. Will adjust. If y'all don't want us on the course, or the pros don't, that's ok too. Just want to sail and hang. Barnett seems to have done the balance quite well, never heard anyone gripe about him, and hope to do it that way.

I hope the aeros will come and play as much as possible until they are big enough to have their own fleet.

Are Aeros in TCC in 2017? If they're out and sail in their own fleet, what's the worry about the UFO? If they're in TCC, what's the worry about the UFO?

Regardless of the handicap one applies to the UFO, it is extremely unlikely that a Texas UFO guy or gal is going to win a TCC regatta. None of the people whom I know are buying UFOs have tons of experience in sailing this kind of boat -- I sure as hell don't. I sailed one once, and it was one HELL of a lot of fun. And it will be even more fun trying to make my way around a course, "try" being the operant word.

Anyway, it's going to be fun.

Trying covers most of us TN! Especially Tortuga.

FM

I'd say a fair handicap for the UFO is the fleet starts on Saturday and the UFO starts on Sunday...

I will forward the website details and account to Jenny.

Thanks Lindy, I'll pass the message along tonight.

Regattas with foilers:

DRC is right about the handicaps I think.

We've had several regattas with catamaran foilers racing with displacement cats down here over the last few years. JB even sailed his Moth against the F18s once. As ortgegakid mentioned, the foilers were either dead slow or blindingly fast - pretty tough to assign a fair handicap to boats like that, regardless of handicap system. Keep your race data - if we get enough data points we will eventually get a fair handicap.

We are fortunate here that the organizing authorities are gracious enough to allow the foilers to register with provisional handicaps.

This is especially important until foilers become more mainstream - we need to be seen out on the water sailing with the other boats.

DRC: was that you skippering the UFO in the blizzard video? Brrrrr!

Charlie

Maybe I just like the term flyer and that's why we went this route. I used to be a pilot and Theis and aerospace engineer. So like a plane but way cheaper.

I'm looking forward to this year. I was thinking about Handicap for the UFO. My thoughts are you have to use some kind of wind rating system. Under 5 maybe 80-85 non-foiling, 6-10mph 70 for sometimes foiling and above 10 60-65 full on foiling.

FM

I'm sailing my Sky-Ski with 22 meter Naish kite, ya think it rate a 50? Amazed that someone has not brought one to a regatta, maybe not allowed?

Just kidding, can't wait for sailing together time!

Heading out early Wednesday morning to West Palm Beach, Florida for the Aero Mid-Winters. Truck is ready. Boat is ready. All my gear is ready. Hope to learn a lot from this regatta. I will be flying the TCC flag.

Hello, my name is Clay Poulson and I am the President of the US Fireball class.

Right now our class is looking for a location to hold our 2017 National Championship in the fall. September, October, or into November would be ideal.

Texas would be a good location as it is a fairly equal drive for our western and eastern fleets.

We do have several boats in Texas and I myself have raced a Fireball in Austin 6 years ago.

If you folks would be interested in having us that would be great. We could probably only muster around 8-12 boats so not quite enough for a stand alone regatta. We would be willing to race with any other club boats or one design classes.

Please let me know if there is a regatta that might work.

Howdy! I can't speak for any of the clubs, but any of our fall races would probably be a good fit imho. 8-12 boats wouldn't change anything up for these folks as they are all bigger clubs and those races have decent turn outs of 6-8 on our end normally plus the club boats. And I would love to have y'all around for a circuit race.

Rush Creek Dingyfest October 14-15

Wurstfest November 4-5

What about the President Cup at AYC, I believe they change the date. Jennie may know more about this. "Clewless"

Welcome to the monkey house, TwoGray.

Please note that this is not an official SA welcome and that I am not willing to do so, as I recognize the exact spot from where your avatar photo was taken and may know your wife and/or girlfriend.

Hello, my name is Clay Poulson and I am the President of the US Fireball class.

Right now our class is looking for a location to hold our 2017 National Championship in the fall. September, October, or into November would be ideal.

Texas would be a good location as it is a fairly equal drive for our western and eastern fleets.

We do have several boats in Texas and I myself have raced a Fireball in Austin 6 years ago.

If you folks would be interested in having us that would be great. We could probably only muster around 8-12 boats so not quite enough for a stand alone regatta. We would be willing to race with any other club boats or one design classes.

Please let me know if there is a regatta that might work.

Hi Clay,

I'd have to agree with Charlie, Wurstfest regatta would be a fine choice. Excellent venue and there is the Wurstfest itself for evening entertainment.

FM

DRAFT SCHEDULE

Conroe Board Boat Regatta - April 22-23 (firm, updated date)

Seabrook Summer Solstice June 17-18 (tentative)

Austin Centerboard October 21-22 (tentative, may also be September)

Hopefully sometime in May. Dave Clark is hopefully coming down end of May to teach us 3 Texans how to sail them. Then we can better share with others that want to try.

DRAFT SCHEDULE

Conroe Board Boat Regatta - April 22-23 (firm, updated date)

Seabrook Summer Solstice June 17-18 (tentative)

Austin Centerboard October 21-22 (tentative, may also be September)

Hi all,

I have been in contact with Stillhouse. Currently as it stands if we decide to do it.. We would be doing it on our own. We'd have to keep our own time and I'm not sure there would be any support boats if trouble was to occur or the wind died like a couple of years ago. Let me know your thoughts as to should we or shouldn't we. Austin Yacht Club had their January board meeting and I should be getting the details of this years schedule soon. I will post them when available.

Regards,

FM

Keep us informed, am in for Conroe, sailing an Aero 7. Will see about BTF, have had some not such great times there, if ya know what I mean.