Gouvernail

2017 Centerboard Circuit of Texas

I'm out for both, but will be at Conroe for sure, see about the rest, now that I'm addicted to skiing again, will be April fore I'm ready for liguid water!

Looks like we're pretty done except if we want to do something before April 22nd. Austin Governor's cup is April 8th.

Bridge Too Far/Governor's cup - FEEDBACK NEEDED

Conroe Board Boat Regatta - April 22-23 (firm)

Rush Creek Spring Dinghyfest May 6-7 (firm)

Seabrook Summer Solstice June 17-18 (tentative)

Austin Centerboard September 16/17 (firm)

Rush Creek Dingyfest October 14-15 (firm)

Wurstfest November 4-5 (firm)

Looks like we're pretty done except if we want to do something before April 22nd. Austin Governor's cup is April 8th.

Bridge Too Far/Governor's cup - FEEDBACK NEEDED

Conroe Board Boat Regatta - April 22-23 (firm)

Rush Creek Spring Dinghyfest May 6-7 (firm)

Seabrook Summer Solstice June 17-18 (tentative)

Austin Centerboard September 16/17 (firm)

Rush Creek Dingyfest October 14-15 (firm)

Wurstfest November 4-5 (firm)

I agree Claire. I'll get with Harpoonette and if everyone is in agreement We will go ahead and get the schedule posted to the website. I'll see if I can get in touch with Seabrook and confirm Summer Solstice. My thoughts are count the best five of seven. We have two each in Houston, Dallas and Austin, then Wurstfest for our finish.

FM

Okay! I have been thinking. (Yes that smell :D ) Austin "Governor Cup" will be a nice two day racing warm up.

It will give us 6 race (firm) and one tentative at the Seabrook Summer Solstice.

"Bridge Too Far" is not inviting to me, but everyone is always invited to LCYC Monthly racing for good practices: March 19, April 9th, May 14, June 10, July 9, August 13, September 10, October 15 and November 12 (you can arrange to leave your boat at LCYC by contacting the Property Manager at 830-964-2314).

"CLeWLEsS" Syl

Okay! I have been thinking. (Yes that smell :D ) Austin "Governor Cup" will be a nice two day racing warm up.

It will give us 6 race (firm) and one tentative at the Seabrook Summer Solstice.

"Bridge Too Far" is not inviting to me, but everyone is always invited to LCYC Monthly racing for good practices: March 19, April 9th, May 14, June 10, July 9, August 13, September 10, October 15 and November 12 (you can arrange to leave your boat at LCYC by contacting the Property Manager at 830-964-2314).

"CLeWLEsS" Syl

Hi TwoGray,

I think the only thing tentative about Seabrook is the date, I hope. So seven events.

FM

Looks like this is the final schedule. Note the date change on Solstice.

Looks like we have 7 regattas. Maybe we score the highest place in 6 of them for the champion? I think we definitely need to keep and score our own times this year. Are we paying dues to someone?

Governor's cup - April 8-9

Conroe Board Boat Regatta - April 22-23

Rush Creek Spring Dinghyfest May 6-7

Seabrook Summer Solstice June 24-25

Austin Centerboard September 16/17

Rush Creek Dingyfest October 14-15

Wurstfest November 4-5

Great Schedule! Governor's Cup N.o.R. is out. Early registration includes a t-shirt, some meals and the venue. Now looking for Conroe Board Boat, nothing yet. Could someone post the link to the N.o.R. not to the Club. Thank you, "CLeWLEsS"

We are signed up too and we shall be camping and sailing Friday afternoon. Weeee! CLeWLEsS

Super fun regatta. Big air the first day. Puffy but fun the second day. Jenny did great and won. Theo, Adam and I took up second and Charles definitely went the fastest. I wish we had more boats but still a great time.

Mid 20s gusting into the low 30s by 1:30. Sat on the beach with my tail tucked between my legs. Theo and crew put on a good fight Saturday, then Claire with same crew were smoking fast veiwed from shore. Jenny was the usual Jenny, steady, calm, winning. Went out with Dave Klienman on his new Tri with just the jib and was amazed at how hard the gusts were blowing. Several J 80s ate it big time with spreaders in the water. Theo went swimming twice. I went to the start and scared the shit out of myself on the way back in thinking to mysel "no F--cking way". Speed puck read 17.3 in a gust that I swore threw me off but somehow remained aboard. But Austin is always fun even if the racing always sucks. Got to see friends that I hope to see many times this year. Conroe is next. As Derek says "It'll be epic!"

post-39147-0-15929800-1491867252_thumb.jpgSo excited! Towing the 7 down friday for warm up, with the Mini, see ya soon! Even cleaned and prepped the AC for next time, although Aero so much fun, have signed up for fall dinghy and wurstfest on one!

Seriously, if you miss this event you will be sorry, some really exciting stuff is gunna happen, as he said, be der!

CLeWLEsS will be there and ready to kick.....water, ass, butt, Centerboard, Chase boat guys but mostly the win, Fearless, Claire1000. Bring it on! Or not, we are registered, we are going ⛵️🙃

The registration page is not showing all the entrants for some reason I'm trying to fix. Jenny is signed up along with a couple other TCC boats. About seven or eight Sunfish and the Aero crowd is growing. We have three ex Laser world champs sailing the Aero 9. Charter trailer still has five boats left but they're going fast. If you don't want to sail the Johnson, come join the Aero fleet. It's going to be a blast. All classes paying nice trophies through third place. Come claim yours.

We told another class "no" becuase we didn't want too many boats and not be able to care for our core, The Texas Centerboard Circuit. The turnout for AYC two weeks ago and now Conroe is disapointing to say the least. What is happening to our sailors? It's going to be very difficult to get a start at most of the current clubs in the future if we can't show better numbers. Fact.

If you need help with Regatta network send me an email. SB.mathis256@gmailcom. I have been working with RN for 5 years. Just saying.

lindy911 Bad mistake to turn any boat group away.

AYC is a Big Boat, not a dingy regatta.

You and Derek are not sailing Portsmouth but are sailing a State Championship. Make the TCC a priority and you might have better participation. Although you are bound to get those who think portsmouth is stupid.

Claire Charter an Aero. Have fun.

lindy911 Bad mistake to turn any boat group away.

AYC is a Big Boat, not a dingy regatta.

You and Derek are not sailing Portsmouth but are sailing a State Championship. Make the TCC a priority and you might have better participation. Although you are bound to get those who think portsmouth is stupid.

Claire Charter an Aero. Have fun.

Dave,

I was in Austin along with Claire and Jenny to support TCC. Also, the Aero being my new ride, I felt compelled to sail with like boats in one design at Conroe this weekend. I will make most of the TCC events this year and support the group through my participation in those events.

The forecast for Conroe couldn't be more perfect for your sled. Why are you not coming? It's not the same without you. Besides, there are TWO 1/2 pound steak burgers with your name on them. Just say'n.

Lastly, the group we turned away had some unusual requirements that would take away from the TCC core. We couldn't accommodate both. Our choice is obvious.

Lindy

Big D is sailing my old MC scow at his club or he'd be der, and now that the secret is out, EVERYONE better be there this weekend, foiling Aero, all the way from OZ!,world's best sailors, epic!

We don't want JJ, he'll kill us again, although he might have a tough time with who all is coming dis time.

Okay TCC Sailors!

Are we gonna go sail at Rush Creek Yacht Club for the Dighnyfest.

CLeWLEsS is registered, driving from LCYC.

Be good and be safe, E&S

After my disaster at CYC, will be sailing my good old no hiking IC at spring ding, see y'all there!

Yippee! Now we need people from Seabrook, Conroe, Houston, Austin and Rush Creek naturally!

Big D with IC will be der!

Mini with IC will be der!

Rod's Aero is there for charter if anyone wants.

Claire and Theo if you want to stay here there is room for you two and the small child. Derek is staying here. I have one bedroom left for TCC'rs. Lindy? Let me know.

I wish I was going to make it up this weekend. My mast foot/step and gudeons just came in today yippee! Harpoonette has woman's clinic duties at AYC. Good luck everyone and hope you have wind!

FM

The Fishingmickey was  observed yesterday rolling about in his nifty new ride. It has a suitable trailer hitch for the red bellied boat and lots of space inside for gear. 

Pics or it didn't happen Fred. Certainly you have some of your work. 

On a side note. After a 70 minute race yesterday the winning margin was 1.6 seconds at the Spring Dingy regatta At Rush Creek. Was an hour and a half waiting on the water for wind but finished 3 more races today. 

Had an excellent time at rush creek. Rc did a good job and once the wind came in things were great. So fun seeing everyone and sailing. 

Enjoyed meeting all of you.  I and the kids had a blast.  How did Sunday afternoon wind up?  We had to get on the road after the first race.

Great meeting you and the cuties too. I sorta wish I had other to report but the wind got almost perfect after you left and we have three super awesome races. About as good as it gets. Maybe slightly light for my tastes but super blast. 

On 5/5/2017 at 10:28 PM, ortegakid said:

Wish you were coming,not the same without you. Hope to see y'all soon!

We will both be at Seabrook. Her regular crew is not available so I will be crewing for Harpoonette. This might be interesting....I think we will be OK though.

FM

Was surprised at how well Ellen & company can sail and to see a throw-out with only four races scored. We tied for 1st after the throw-out with Ellen winning with a last race bullet. Well done! And as fast as the Aero is in perfect wind, Claire was trying her best to run me over at every tack; she's fast on the J-18. It was fun watching the canoes jet off to the horizon. Great weekend with really good people. Thanks y'all.

Turns out I owe Mike time. So that makes sense. Happy with how I sailed upwind mostly. Banged that right corner too hard a few times. Never could get the boat going like I wanted it to downwind. 

Thanks to y'all also, had a great time until after first race in afternoon, went in and threw up! No excuse, still had a blast, sailed my giant freakin can't see nothing in front of me kite and didn't kill anyone, and didn't cap! Although some ah in mc scow gave me a hard time sailing through finish line with kite up. Will see all y'all soon I hope, best bunch of sailors anywhere! Pix will be up soon, will share!

I had a TON of weather helm.... broke the vang bail, and well, we lost the Cunningham somewhere in the boat.... so I "think" it was because I had a baggy sail (and I had the forestay setup pretty loose for the first day) but WOW... I have never had that kind of feedback from the tiller.   I am confident I can sail it faster with some tweaking.

Well I know nothing about your boat, but in that wind I had almost zero vang and zero Cunningham. On the Johnson and I think all other boats I've sailing helm is almost purely a function of jib trim vs main trim. Maybe yours is different but I would start there. Blown out sails slow you down but I wouldn't think the effect helm much except in some crazy cases. If you cute kiddo was trimming your jib that's most likely it. 

Also on a j22 forestay tension has everything to do with pointing ability in light air. And depowering in heavy air. But once it's set it is controlled with shroud tension settings. You don't adjust forestay until your played the shrouds to death and are getting out pointed.  The north and quantum tuning guides for J22s and J24s are excellent learning tools even if you aren't sailing one of them. 

I miss one design keelboats. Sigh.  If this UFO sucks maybe we will buy a J70. I was so stoked to see their circuit turnout at Austin  

Derek- I got a talking to from a sunfish for "screaming" into the finish line. I was going 10.3 kts so hardly screaming. I thought I gave him plenty of space and I could have turned down gently at any moment and been the leeward boat so not my people but I suspect I underestimated the intimidation factor of my pole. Note to self. The pole on my Johnson is intimidating. 

49 minutes ago, Claire1000 said:

Well I know nothing about your boat, but in that wind I had almost zero vang and zero Cunningham. On the Johnson and I think all other boats I've sailing helm is almost purely a function of jib trim vs main trim. Maybe yours is different but I would start there. Blown out sails slow you down but I wouldn't think the effect helm much except in some crazy cases. If you cute kiddo was trimming your jib that's most likely it. 

Yes, kiddo trim was a factor.... Sails not blown out - crisp Norths.  I still think I had 1. too much bend for the wind and the cut of the sail and 2. no outhaul, vang, or cunningham - seemed like I had way more draft forward than I usually have.  Just more stuff to fix though.

I think poor jib trimming is a pretty good trade off for sailing with your son and daughter! So awesome. 

And ya, we ordered a UFO. Will see if it ever comes. =-)  Sweet news on new sails! Sorry I assumed they were old like most of us had. Lately we've been classing it up with better sails in the circuit. 

Next up is Seabrook. I like this event (well, I like all of them) as it is run by a great club. Other than the channel boat wake, it's a good regatta with usually decent wind and turnout. Who's in?

Me.  I'm in.  This guy.  I'm going to pull Banner out of the garage, fix both dolly tires, put the new rigging on, and actually go sailing.

It is going to be glorious.

Actually, I lie.  I'm going to do all that for Turnback as well.  

We are looking at it seriously_/)  Need to contact the Club for camping permission (sun)

They are somewhat picky about that, so it depends who you talk to.  If you get a negative answer, let us know, and we'll ask again.  Louder.

As soon as the NoR is out, I will send a note to the Race Chair.  Thanks

We've never gotten an ok on camping there. They aren't really set up for it. 

We are a maybe on seabrook. 

Anyone else thinking about doing turnback?

Will be at Seabrook.  We are in Galveston on the west bay - about an hour away from Seabrook.  If they allow camping we may camp though.  Anyone is welcome to stay with us if they can tolerate 3 kids (or camp out in the yard :-) which may be more peaceful).  

Hmmmmm.... Turnback is same time as HCYC jamaican me crazy but looks more interesting... May bring the First 210 given the duration of it and being with kids...

I've never had an issue there with camping; have been doing it there for six+ years. The grass overflow lot is where we set up, usually right next to the truck.