Gouvernail

2017 Centerboard Circuit of Texas

Offered.  A full room in fact.

My fiberglass guy just started Charles' amma repair this morning, so it'll be tight, but he thinks he'll have it done.  I'm probably going to wait a few more days to see how it goes, but more than likely Banner will be there.

Looks like the race is next weekend 23-24. I drafted it this weekend before it was posted. That right? 

If so I'll be in Bermuda. Theo may still come. Anyone got a baby sitter? 

On 6/13/2017 at 2:03 PM, Claire1000 said:

Looks like the race is next weekend 23-24. I drafted it this weekend before it was posted. That right? 

If so I'll be in Bermuda. Theo may still come. Anyone got a baby sitter? 

Are you going to watch the cup???

You so suck you bitch!! :) And why isn't Theo going with you??

I love you too Dave. 

Theo is continuing to make a good campaign for dad of the year, as he's watching Ellie while I sneak off with my girls. 

1 hour ago, Claire1000 said:

I love you too Dave. 

Theo is continuing to make a good campaign for dad of the year, as he's watching Ellie while I sneak off with my girls. 

What a great dad!!

Whelp, looks like I'm going to miss Seabrook.  There has been a collusion of boat repairs, the non-storm Cindy, and an outbreak of influenza that will keep me from racing.  All seem to be somewhat under control, but I don't think I'll be able to make the line.  Looks like light attendance from TCC anyhow.  We'll probably stop by to say howdy.

Alas with our deepest regrets Harpoonette and I will not be able to make Seabrook either.  This is the first time either of us has missed Summer Solstice in a long time. They are closing on her parents house on the 29th and there is still much to do. Harpoonette and I will be doing that (cleaning house) this weekend. Y'all will be in our thoughts.

FM

A short delay on Saturday due to weather yielded to 8 mph WSW breeze that shifted north during the 1st race. Steady 8-10 for the balance of the four races run with a dip to almost nothing a couple of times. Flat water made for great sailing on day one with about 12 Lasers, 9 Portsmouth and a few Sunfish. The TCC had a very light (read one boat) turnout. Sad, as the regatta was well run and fun. Breakfast, lunch and good BBQ for dinner satiated even the biggest appetite and the cold beer on Saturday afternoon was welcomed by most.

With temps in the mid-80s, cloud cover most of both days and no rain, this has to be the most weather friendly Summer Solstice Regattas I've been to. Sunday the wind pumped up a bit out of the NE creating a good chop with surf-able waves. We raced W-L both days with some being twice around as the breeze developed. I hate dead downwind legs in a dinghy, especially with a tweaked knee, but again learned a lot by chasing Ash around all weekend. 

Heading to Portsmouth, RI for the Aero North Americans in two weeks. Hope you all find time to sail. Better than that, hope you all find time to sail the next TCC regatta. See you then.

Thank You Mike for the report.  Ellen couldn't make it and I chicken out because of the lack of experience between my replacement Skipper and I.  We are planning to do all the other TCC nevertheless, and looking forward to it. Calendar already marked for Austin, Rush Creek and Canyon.

I was there and did not realize someone else from TCC was there or I would have asked .... how do you join the TCC?

Good morning!  Texascenterboard.org   Welcome and bring a friend too.  The next race is at Austin Yacht Club Sept 16&17.  See you there or before here at LCYC, we have Monthly series that all are welcome - second Sunday each month.  This weekend we have the Leukimia Cup with a long distance race and buoy races.  On July 4th, we have a long distance race.  Once more, welcome!  The frog name "CLeWLEsS"

Hey, duwke, are you still playing with Fusion 360?  I made a thing but the bow wave looks like, well, see for yourself.

339iukg.png

Could use some advice before I CNC it.

It looks like you have outpaced me with Fusion 360.  I got frustrated with them and have't looked at it since, so I'm sorry to say that I won't be much help.

True North.. when is your, actually have it at your house date?

Not sure.  Should be shipping soon, though.  The hold up was the shipping boxes.   I will let you know when I have something firm!!

I'm trying to decide if I want to sail with foils for Austin. How are we going to determine PN numbers for the Aero with foils and the UFO (or any other foiler for that matter)?

We don't have a boat so not that worried till it happens. If we do get one, no idea. Figure we will start with a wasp or moth or whatever has a rating and take a wild guess from there? Goal will be to make it around course. 

PN  numbers:  the foiling cats like the S9 have numbers that are surprisingly slow due to displacement sailing characteristics.  Not enough racing data to do wind adjustments - yet.

This is an issue that the Race Committees are ill equipped to handle.  At LCYC we looked at the SCHRS handicap for the S9 and  compared that to existing older boats.  The S9 fits in as just a bit slower than a Hobie 18 and a bit faster than a Hobie 17.    On the race course, in displacement mode sailing with the foils removed, this proved to be amazingly accurate.  Again, no foiling-speed race data is yet available.  

I suggest boat-to-boat comparisons with skippers of known ability to determine a preliminary number for the UFO and the F-Aero (I made that up).

Example: at Wurstfest, if the fleet has determined that the UFO with a good skipper is about equal to a well-sailed Laser, just register the UFO with a Laser rating.

If the F-Aero sails like a Weta - that will work, too.

The RC can work with this within the Regatta Network  program if they know this well in advance of the race itself.   Please don't depend on the RC to work this out at registration or after the racing starts - somebody on the RC or some competitor always gets PO'd.  Usually both.  (Like the Aeros last year.)  This issue will likely take a few years to work itself out - will require a little tolerance by everyone.

Anyway, I will be happy to be liaison between the Fleet and the WF RC if you wish.

Sorry for the lengthy post.

Charlie

I nominate Darin to figure this out. He seems to be underemployed and likes using his brain. 

I agree with Charlie. After paitience is applied, we sorta learn the boats, then we can look at and debate our skills levels in known handicap boats and take a starting swag at it. 

Darin sailing regularly is is a little faster than theo

Darin and Theo pretty close when sailing sorta the same oftenness

Then I think Mike 

Then me somewhere 

Then Dave and Charles who are still learning their boats 

Mikey normally in the mix there but seems to be a lot of variation with wind? 

Jenny normally wins and we can look at that too but lots of boat variation there but she's probably by far the most consistent sailor out of our group so that's helpful

The canoes...your guess as good as mine

that should get us within 20 points  ha  

Let the wild insults fly-

Theo and I hope to have our boat mid August sent to upstate NY so we can plan on vacation then ship it back down here!

Geeze I think I must have sorta insulted everyone at least a little and yet no replies? 

Darin I am obviously just jealous of your work hours. Everyone else that's just my rough rememberance of where we finish. Could be totally wrong? 

Still no UFO but hoping to have it by austin. 

Hah. I'm not offended, just jealous. I can't wait to see it. Janna is slowly accepting that Banner will need to be sold. Slowly.

Charlie,

The Aero charter trailer will again be at Wurstfest. I would assume we'll have enough boats in both 7 and 9 rigs to constitute separate fleets. I think it doubtful that the 5 rigs will have sufficient numbers so they'll have to compete for an overall trophy with the rest of the boats. To me, it makes sense to keep times for all boats for an overall and then have 1st through whatever for 7s and 9s. Not sure of the DPN for the 5 at the moment but will find out and report back.

For you future foilers out there; it's a lot harder than what you might think. 

Cool! I'm bringing the foils for my Aero but won't be racing with them. We will have some fun blasting around after the races though! Should be interesting to see how the UFO and foiling Aero compare.

Charlie got his but went to the high country to escape the heat. Brig got his but was missing a few parts so I believe is waiting on those. No word on ours yet but he cashed our check so we are thinking soon. Haven't discussed shipping details yet so we don't think it's imminent. Hoping to get it and have enough time to learn how to put it in the water so we don't drift into the committee boat at austin. 

If our boat arrives and stuff and anyone is interested we may take that Friday off so anyone can come early and play with it before the regatta. 

My missing pieces should arrive today at my house (I am out of town, presently).  If so, I hope to splash the boat this weekend.  

Any regatta out of Dallas is iffy for me due to life constraints.  Still possible, though remote, that I can make Austin.  Regardless, I will be a train wreck until I learn the boat.  But what fun to learn!

13 hours ago, Charlie P Mayer said:

Would someone please send me the Austin regatta details?

Thank you!

Charlie

I don't see any SI's up yet or really much except the calendar says Sept. 16th is when it starts. Usually Sunfish, Laser and Portsmouth fleets.

For those who have recently been to Palacios to sail on their bay.... they have had about 20 inches of rain all across the area from I-10 to the bay. No way you could even get there right now. 

Bring sunscreen and something to do while waiting for the wind to fill In by Monday afternoon 

If I sail I will have a cooler with margaritas pre made 

11 hours ago, Gouvernail said:

Bring sunscreen and something to do while waiting for the wind to fill In by Monday afternoon 

If I sail I will have a cooler with margaritas pre made 

Sunday morning looks light but Saturday looks like a nice 10-15 day.

Theo and I  are signed up for austin in a chartered FJ. We are hopefully bringing some Baylor students and hopefully not getting too beat up on by some juniors. 

Also, the club is totally cool with non member adults chartering their FJs for I think $40. So if anyone else is boatless come on! 

Harpoonette and I will be there. I'll be crewing for her (fingers crossed). We have cabin #6 reserved for Saturday night. Looking forward to seeing everyone again!

Fishingmickey

14 hours ago, DaveK said:

Sunday morning looks light but Saturday looks like a nice 10-15 day.

The forecast has been improving a little every day. It could be fabulous conditions 

Mike (or anyone else with a cabin) would it be okay if we use it from 12-1:30 or so for Ellie (baby) to take a nap? My cousin who is 22 will be there baby sitting. 

10 hours ago, Claire1000 said:

Mike (or anyone else with a cabin) would it be okay if we use it from 12-1:30 or so for Ellie (baby) to take a nap? My cousin who is 22 will be there baby sitting. 

No problem at all Claire! We only have it for Saturday but your more then welcome to use it Saturday.

FM

Great races!  Obviously lighter than I would have liked, but it met my expectation.  I was also happy to see that the RC posted the results with corrected times, etc.  This is the first time I've actually seen the results posted from AYC, with scoring.  Kudos to a well run race.

Claire, sorry you didn't make the second day.  It was lighter than Sat, with a few times we all bobbed, but mostly enough to move.  

My furler decided it was done racing the last leg of the last race, so I got to sail in with my screecher dragging in the water.  But otherwise, it was great from the weta's perspective.

I hope you are feeling better.

Super bummed we missed Sunday. Glad y'all got races off  and good stuff from AYC!

If anyone knows the 4 juniors that set their tent tragically near ours...please contribute apologizing to them for us. It was a long night of terrible noises from me and therefore a screaming baby. 

23 hours ago, Claire1000 said:

Super bummed we missed Sunday. Glad y'all got races off  and good stuff from AYC!

If anyone knows the 4 juniors that set their tent tragically near ours...please contribute apologizing to them for us. It was a long night of terrible noises from me and therefore a screaming baby. 

Glad you made it down! Next time you should just take my house and stay there. That way your cousin can hang out and watch tv all day. I'm never there anyways since I stay at Tina's condo on the weekends.

Thanks for the offer. We normally like camping and spending time at the club. You guys have a gem of a place run by such good folks. But if we ever need it for sure! 

Vic Manning stayed late Saturday night so we could watch the UT / USC game. Made us all popcorn and we got to sit in the A/C which was a nice change from what was on the other side of the door. My new friends made me a rum and ginger beer that was exceptional. Claire, sorry that you got sick, missed seeing you all Sunday. I was fine so whatever it was you got, luckily I didn't.

The regatta was one of the best run at AYC since I've been going there. Portsmouth numbers were not right at first but they corrected them right away with no BS. Very well run starts and I really like the horn system on the RC boat. I started out slow but by the end of the first day was right on the heels of the leaders and was doing much better than the 6th place OA finish might indicate. A couple of lucky breaks and I would have been in the plastic. HOOD at HYC this weekend then on to Rush Creek. Couple of Capri 22 races thrown in plus our fall John Hallett Memorial Regatta in October makes this time of year hard to find time to mow the grass.

Can't wait to see you guys again!

Hike and ease. Hike and ease.

Mike, glad to read that they corrected you PNR.  The omit our 1.3 correction, so our finish is not right. Sorry to read Claire was sick, E or I are also fine. Be good and be safe, we see y'all at the Rush Creek Regatta.  CLeWLEsS 

Thank you for caring!  We have a furling jib that adds 1.0 so it should read 97.3.  After recalculating, it look like we gain few second and one point overall in the standing (4th race) making us even with Jenny with 37 points.  Will not raise dirt for that.  We know we are good, we don't need a trophy.

Who is coming to Rush Creek Yacht Club?  The NOR and registration are live. 

Conroe Yacht Club has it's fall big regatta, The John Hallett Memorial Regatta, this coming weekend and as race commodore I need to be there. I get to spend the weekend driving a Catalina 22. Joy of joys. Wish I could be at Rush Creek sailing with you all. Have fun and try to not run anybody over.

I signed up for Wurstfest Portsmouth Dinghy with my RS700. Looks like a UFO is signed up in that race as well. That will be fun to watch!!

Yep, the UFO group will have the co-designer and pres of the manufacturer there, too.  He will be the guy flying all the time, assuming adequate air.  The rest of us?  Not so much, but that's okay.  Am looking forward to seeing your boat in person.

Charlie- after my experience “racing” last weekend I wonder if a WL course could be avoided for us? Probably not, but won’t be fun for anyone to wait on us that long. 

Hi everybody!  David Clark, famed UFO sailor and builder, will be arriving for Wurstfest on Wednesday, November 1. 

It would be nice if we could show him some of our Texas hospitality.  Perhaps Gruene Hall on Wednesday afternoon?

Wurstfest Thursday night?  Dave, would you like to see a big Texas barbecue place (Salt Lick)?

Dave will have a short UFO seminar at LCYC on Friday night - is 7:00 a good time for everyone?

I think Dave is also interested in some LBJ history.  Canyon Lake is only about 50 miles from the LBJ ranch.

Mr. Dave, let us know what you would like to see, please.

Red Tuna, DTA, TwoGray, DaveK, TN, Claire 1000: please join me in showing Dave around this part of Texas?

Need a few details put away before WF I this weekend:

1) All 15 of us need to start together, and sail the same course, for your CbCoT scoring, correct?

2) Would you like us to use wind-adjusted scoring, or base DPN?

Looks like the only Fleet within a Fleet is the UFOs.  1 more Weta and they will have a Fleet, too (RT - you listening?).

The Aeros are on another course - we don't know their status vis-a-vis the CbCoT - do they need to come over to our course?

FYI:  UFOs are rated at 65 - just a number to start a data base.  (Don't think we can sail to that number this weekend - well, maybe Dave.)

There will be multiple skippers on the three UFOs - changing out race-to-race - training race, fun race, whatever you wish to call it.

Are you other 12 skippers okay with this?

Thank you,

Charlie

Yep. Not sure how that will work if you want the weta to be scored. I volunteer to poorly sail your boat. 

I suspect the UFOs will be as big a threat as we were at rush creek....

I personally don't have an issue with the Aero fleet sailing with the DPN group. Not sure if we'll fleet out or not. And again, personally, I'd like to see triangles. No WL courses. Boring.

lindy911:  we moved the Aeros to another course to help smooth out the number of boats per course.  I think we have 91 total boats registered now for WFI - 5 courses. 

Courses:  we do encourage interaction between the RC and the competitors.  Please consider that the PRO receives a lot of conflicting requests.

I assume that all Aeros need to start together and sail the same course as in years past - is that still correct?

Charlie

On a completely diff subject, anyone in Texas have a old FD rudder? Am preparing for next year don't ya know.

Howdy y'all,

Man am I gonna hate to miss this one. Harpoonette will be there, I will be at Lake Fork for four days trying to win the kayak bass fishing championship of the universe. Standings have been updated on the TCC site. I'll be thinking of y'all, hoping you have wind and I don't. I'll be back next year with the Contender.

Good luck and sail fast!

Fishingmickey

p.s. I'm not a 100% certain but if your dues haven't been paid I don't think your shown in the standings.

Omfg, I’m coming! Last minute change of plans has allowed me to be there, see y’all soon. Yellow carbon fiber tooth pick will be there

On 10/31/2017 at 9:28 AM, Claire1000 said:

I will pay for triangles....

Hmmmm. I'm the PRO on your course. Buy me a beer under the tent and I'll see what I can do. Actually,  SI's have triangle, w/l combinations for your course. You can still buy me a beer.

15 hours ago, Fishingmickey said:

Howdy y'all,

Man am I gonna hate to miss this one. Harpoonette will be there, I will be at Lake Fork for four days trying to win the kayak bass fishing championship of the universe. Standings have been updated on the TCC site. I'll be thinking of y'all, hoping you have wind and I don't. I'll be back next year with the Contender.

Good luck and sail fast!

Fishingmickey

p.s. I'm not a 100% certain but if your dues haven't been paid I don't think your shown in the standings.

So I guess paying the web hosting for the TCC website of roughly ten times the annual dues, doesn't qualify me to be counted. Thanks! 

Great seeing everyone. And congrats to the circuit winners. Thanks for putting up with us on the UFOs. Learned a ton.

And I certainly vote Mike gets his dues waived for hosting the website.

Great stuff Claire! Had great time sailing with all y’all. One of my best regattas, no caps, even sailed through the line with massive vision blocker up! Congrats to all, the evo is now rated 69!

It was great to meet some of you this weekend at the Regatta and as an added bonus, nothing broke. 

Ortegakid, I saw you charging the line yesterday with the kite out, very impressive.  

Agreed, that IC with the kite up is an impressive sight.  You looked great out there.

And congrats Holo Nui for his second place finish on the last race.  He beat me scratch and I should be giving him some time.

Last, the Evo rating is silly talk.  The NS 14 was rated 86 and the VX Evo 85?  What? 

Duwke thanks for the tips out there.  It was great to have another Weta on the lake.  

The VX Evo was fast and sailed very well.