Gouvernail

2017 Centerboard Circuit of Texas

I agree Darren, but with him on it it's still a 71. And lets sail, am ready for next year!

And let's all ski together this year!

5 hours ago, duwke said:

Unfortunately, I don't have the time to do an analysis of any kind on your rating, but the boats you picked seem very different (18 seconds).  I get it though, there aren't many other boats like yours.

Having raced against quite a few variations of boats, I can tell you my opinion.  In the light wind, you should be 81 or lower.  You are just as fast upwind and can tack faster than the weta.  Downwind, you are faster.  

Agreed, in heavier wind, you would have a disadvantage because of your weight and height.. but that is a light wind machine, since we sail in light wind 90% of the time, it is unfair for your rating to be an "always win"

Secondly, I would have suggested coming in with a lower rating rather than a higher.  Then, based on results, come up with reasoning to raise your rating.

But those are my opinions, and you know what they say about opinions...

That is why I sue what the Devotti One uses as it is the closest thing to the Evo.

100%....  I will be happy with any rating. We can actually go to the other side of the spectrum and see how it works on a real low number. It was fun to be there with ya'll so I will do whatever it takes to keep it sustainable and for others joining the VX Evo enjoy fair racing.

I agree about the light air. The boat is designed for heavier sailors than me (148 lbs) and even then. So if you add all that, I will have quite an advantage in the light stuff, could not agree more. The tacks and gybes are certainly painless when compared to WETAs, Skiffs, IC and probably the Moth if the wind is not stable, so that's another advantage point. Downwind the Evo will be very , very fast in all conditions, though, so that's a hard one to figure out.

On ‎11‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 9:36 AM, duwke said:

Agreed, that IC with the kite up is an impressive sight.  You looked great out there.

And congrats Holo Nui for his second place finish on the last race.  He beat me scratch and I should be giving him some time.

Last, the Evo rating is silly talk.  The NS 14 was rated 86 and the VX Evo 85?  What? 

Careful about rating sailors.    Rod's nowhere near an average sailor

Agreed. Trying to figure that handicap with him sailing is like figuring a golf par with Palmer playing. I watched Rod make smooth rounding after smooth rounding as he lapped me. 

1 hour ago, Claire1000 said:

Agreed. Trying to figure that handicap with him sailing is like figuring a golf par with Palmer playing. I watched Rod make smooth rounding after smooth rounding as he lapped me. 

My advice...  jump in in that fleet purchase.  Rumor has it there will be a preset weight range limit per said size to keep things even (no little-rod racing in a B sail) 

And several clinics to help everyone with a boat improve and get up to speed.  Buy a boat, get a coach. Or several.  

I think the issue is a rating based on the characteristics of the boat.  The VX Evo appears to be much more light air optimized than a D-One, which is 1.5 feet shorter and weighs only 10# less than Evo.  If, as Sushi suggests, the boat fleets out, the rating is moot; however, if it stays in PN, a more realistic rating is required in my opinion.  That takes time to develop.

Same as ufo, whose rating will take time to develop. The PN for ufo at Wurstfest was 65, I believe, which is a moth rating.  The ufo is not ever going to match a moth rating,  nor is it designed to be anywhere near as fast and it sure won’t get there in a non-foiling state.  Add into that the fact that all Texas ufo sailors are rank beginners in a new dimension of sailing, and the rating of 65 becomes even more farcical.    But you have to start somewhere.  I suggest that the Evo try a lower rating at next regatta to find its happy place.

9 hours ago, sushi said:

My advice...  jump in in that fleet purchase.  Rumor has it there will be a preset weight range limit per said size to keep things even (no little-rod racing in a B sail) 

And several clinics to help everyone with a boat improve and get up to speed.  Buy a boat, get a coach. Or several.  

Preset weight range?  

The VX Evo looks like a fun boat but, at 6'1" and 155 I believe I would have a hard time keeping it upright.  Thoughts?  It would fly with the wind though.

22 minutes ago, Holo Nui said:

Preset weight range?  

The VX Evo looks like a fun boat but, at 6'1" and 155 I believe I would have a hard time keeping it upright.  Thoughts?  It would fly with the wind though.

The thought is for one design racing (sorry TCC folks, your still screwed) you'd have a bottom end weight for each sail size.  Just using arbitrary numbers -1) If your under 160 lbs you cant race in an A or B sail, if your under 180 lbs you cant race in an A sail.    That keeps light people from picking larger sails when the wind is light.  

To me from a racing perspective the idea of having three rig sizes is to make racing between different weight ranges more equitable.      For handicap racing you could hit someone who's sailing outside their OD sail size like rod did at wurstfest.  Rod would have been slower in a C sail, or even faster in an A sail.

Being that light, and that tall you'd have a crushing advantage.  You'd be in a C sail and have more leverage.  

my .o2

7 minutes ago, sushi said:

Being that light, and that tall you'd have a crushing advantage.  You'd be in a C sail and have more leverage.  

my .o2

In light winds yes, anything else and I might end up swimming to windward.  

1 minute ago, Holo Nui said:

In light winds yes, anything else and I might end up swimming to windward.  

I think rod's been out in some reasonable breeze, in a B sail to boot.  Wonder how he manages?

Thanks for explanation on weight range.  I would like to try Evo sometime.  

38 minutes ago, sushi said:

I think rod's been out in some reasonable breeze, in a B sail to boot.  Wonder how he manages?

Thank you guys. 

Holo Nui, I wish I as 155 lbs  6' 1". With that height, boy would I be quick upwind!! ;)  Seriously though, 155 lbs is light for sure, however the B sail is a good all around up to probably 13 knots, then a C sail is the way to go. Let me put it this way: with my weight and height and I am at full hike on a Sunfish in 11 knots of TWS. on the Aero 7 at 8 knots. On a Laser Full Rig at 8 knots and on the EVO. So the bottom line is that no matter what, I will be hiking very early unless I move on to Laser Radial.  The B sails is 100 sq ft. It is not small, but the bending characteristics of the mast do help depower quite a bit. Again, I have not been sailing the boat enough to know her behavior in anything beyond 12 knots yet, but the feedback from the fleet in Savannah  / Beaufort is that almost everybody is using the B sail and most of them are under 200 lbs.  They do need to move to the C sail (90 sq ft) to be more competitive, but is not that you will be blown if you don't. Again, it is a big main, but also a wide boat, with hard chines and lots of form stability.

We are shaping how to make it fair across the board, just like Sushi mentioned. The best part is that it is only one rig for everyone, only change will be the main size.

7 minutes ago, Holo Nui said:

Thanks for explanation on weight range.  I would like to try Evo sometime.  

Anytime you are in Dallas. Come to Rush Creek for a beer and some sailing! 

I will prepare the demo schedule and shared with everybody.

3 minutes ago, Rodfavela said:

Anytime you are in Dallas. Come to Rush Creek for a beer and some sailing! 

I will prepare the demo schedule and shared with everybody.

Rod, I've seen your name on North U posters and think you are hired to coach pretty often.   Do you think you'd be willing to run some free clinics on the evo for folks who jump into the fleet?  Maybe some at Rush creek but also some at other clubs?    I think from a fleet building perspective helping everyone improve and learn is really important.   I'll bring the beer.

15 minutes ago, sushi said:

Rod, I've seen your name on North U posters and think you are hired to coach pretty often.   Do you think you'd be willing to run some free clinics on the evo for folks who jump into the fleet?  Maybe some at Rush creek but also some at other clubs?    I think from a fleet building perspective helping everyone improve and learn is really important.   I'll bring the beer.

Absolutely yes. Even if we can get the crowd together in a more central location for everyone in the TCC I will be happy to pack the boat and take it there and spend a weekend of clinic/demo. You touched a great point Sushi: the main objective is get everyone to have access to the same information and support. You know how we go about that with he VX One Completely open book and getting everybody up to speed as practicable.  

Some beers, hot dogs (or Sushi from the local gas station) and a good weekend of learning and sailing, will be very fun and rewarding for all of us as a fleet. I know we are into something good with the VX Evo.

I'm so going to try it sometime, as with my MXray background will be a fun comparo, like a vw to f1, but will report all fairly. Nothing I have sailed was as fun as my completely modded mx in 20-25, not to windward of course.

1 hour ago, ortegakid said:

I'm so going to try it sometime, as with my MXray background will be a fun comparo, like a vw to f1, but will report all fairly. Nothing I have sailed was as fun as my completely modded mx in 20-25, not to windward of course.

The evo?  In Dallas?  I wanna go 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, sushi said:

Ah we are committed to the fangled foiler. It’s super fun so far. But if we get tired of having to bail on light wind days who knows. I could see ya buying a man evo in a few years maybe. 

On 11/15/2017 at 9:08 AM, Holo Nui said:

Thanks Rod, keep us informed on Fleet purchase.  

Holo,

here is a promo for "Spring Batch" of ten boats at this price. Here it goes:

7781d137-47fa-4bb9-99fe-a232f89f1f0d.jpgJoin the VX family with the introductory price of $14,990 including (savings of more than $1,800):
• Race ready VX Evo hull, carbon fiber mast and boom and fitted hardware
• North Sails "B" Mainsail (100 sq. Ft).
• Spinnaker (120 sq. ft).
• Top Cover.
• Road trailer.
• Trolly.

FOB Vela Sailing Supply, Inc. in Rockwall, TX

Delivery on spring 2018

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, duwke said:

Ortega, some great photos of you in here:

_MG_6680-600x400.jpg

still one of the coolest looking boats on the water.  

@ rod, get me a quick sail so I can tell my wife I actually tried it...  then send an order form.

• Like 1

Thx Duwke, Sushi, wish they had some with big kite up, hard to prove you did it without photographic evidence! Only taken me six years to learn.

AND GREAT ONES OF ALL Y'ALL!

Awesome picture ortegakid.  I was going through some this morning.  I love the one of me rounding windward and my roller furler gets jammed and the kite only half way deploys.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sushi said:

still one of the coolest looking boats on the water.  

@ rod, get me a quick sail so I can tell my wife I actually tried it...  then send an order form.

Working on it.

Spring Fling at Conroe Yacht Club will be April 28th & 29th. We'll have TCC, Texas State Championships for RS Aero and the Texas Sunfish qualifier. Make your plans early. Plenty of free camping, dinner and keg Saturday evening, breakfast Sunday morning and a ton more. This years trophies are awesome. See you all there.

Can we get a UFO start too?  Sounds like at least three of us are in, but I suspect all five might show up.  

Should be enough VX EVO's there to make a traditional 5-boat fleet but I say "keep'em all together", including the Aeros'.  TCC Style throw-down!