• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Infinite

Coaching / Parent boat for sailing with kids on Opti

23 posts in this topic

I was curious if anyone can recommend a small Opti sized sailboat that can hold an adult but sail with and Opti. The goal would be to find a small sailboat that I could sail next to my kids when they are in their Opti. Ideally something bathtub like (non-self bailing) that look like an Opti for adults.

-H

Boston Whaler Squall..I modified the rig to a gunther rigged cut down penguin sail..

Spyc has a class of boats that are essentially adult optis I think... I forget what it's called though

170' yacht with 2 40' protectors.

because you want the best of everything for optikids

A Laser. Luff the sail to match speed. When junior is ready, put a 4.7 on it and buy yourself a new one.

when the kid has a kid you can both sail with the kid.

Then when the grandkid is ready, buy yourself a new Laser and pass the boats down

Then when the grandkid has a kid.....

El Toro?

Exactly

Big difference between "coaching" and "sailing with".your kids. For coaching, U are going to need much more speed than an opti on steroids. U need to be able to move fore and aft and port and starboard of the coached boat. Its easy to slow down a much faster boat to sail along side but to trail and then move along side (either P or S) and move ahead etc at will in another opti type tub.....not so much.

Sunfish works great for me and my 8 year old. Stable enough for me to help him right the Opti when he flipped (he did not believe an Opti could flip...). Easy for me to luff when sailing to his leeward so I can get him to stay on the wind. Fast enough to make it to the next mark early and coach him toward it. Works well and the price is right!

I know a guy who has been collecting old Bytes to teach his daughters and their friends to sail. I think they have about 4 of them. Dad uses the megabyte rig and leads the pack of around. Its a funny sight.

Came in expecting a helicopter parent looking for a Zodiac to spoon feed their kid from. Faith in humanity restored. Byte, while not looking or sailing like an Opti, is an excellent option because the kid can try it out in the lighter stuff and gives them a transitional boat to moving into something less stable. It's also the ideal boat for a child moving on to the 29er later on.

El Toro. Similar size. bigger rig. It has seats. They are raced by adults.

170' yacht with 2 40' protectors.

because you want the best of everything for optikids

This!

How about a mirror? They are slow and box shaped just like optis but big enough for an adult (and child if you want). Probably some going cheap just north of you

Lehman 12 may be a good option. They are cheap as chips around here

Love my Trinka 12 and looking forward to using it for the same application.

Love my Trinka 12 and looking forward to using it for the same application.

Good choice, we use our Trinka 12's (have 5) for adult sailing classes and opti training. Work well with 1.5 HP outboard motor too

post-2563-0-60130400-1484685593_thumb.jpg

post-2563-0-58388800-1484685603_thumb.jpg

How about a mirror? They are slow and box shaped just like optis but big enough for an adult (and child if you want). Probably some going cheap just north of you

+1 on the Mirror.

I was thinking an inflatable hull catamaran. Significantly faster is useful, low freeboard is useful, ability to raft up for repairs/tweaks, lunch/change of clothing etc is very useful, and if necessary should be able to fold up Oppy rig and tow it home.