• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
shaggybaxter

Surf to City 2017

15 posts in this topic

Our annual 1st race of the year is getting close, yahoo!

We'll be doing the offshore course, but I still think the inshore course is just as much fun.

Our goal is to improve on last year, and as we DNF'd last year it shouldn't be too hard 😊

29 I think registered in the offshore , don't have inshore in front of me, anybody know?

So, anybody going this year??

We have our secret weapon this year. I stole it from LB's office bookshelf.

image_zps66g9o7gs.jpeg

Purebred Mongrel (modified Hartley 16) is entered for inshore.

Still figuring out how I'll get the boat there and trailer to QCYC. Not sure if I'll tow or sail/motor.

Cheers

Mojo

Leave trailer and car at QCYC and sail down?

We're sailing down the inside course on the Friday Mojo, take the Friday off and come for a sail, there's always a fair few boats all heading down on the Friday.

Thursday being a public holiday this year doesn't hurt!

Putting some serious thought in to sailing down, depends a bit on the weather though. Will make a call on it closer to the date.

I love the look of your fat bottom Pogo. I'm building a smaller version at the moment. It's a new version of the 5.5m boats by Barry Colson. 2.5m wide. Built from foam/epoxy. Should be ready for Surf to City 2018.

Cheers

Mojo

https://www.facebook.com/Mojos-Boat-Shed-1070116019702480/

j12b0o.jpg

I might have about 30 less beers at SYC on the friday night this year. Early night with the book Shaggy stole of me.

Will that still mean a good two dozen? You will need them to read your book and get into the vibe !!

Maybe somebody here can clear this up for me.

This race is cat 3. So requires a 150N PFD with crotch strap and a harness attachment for tether.

If I wear a bowmans harness does that count as my tether attatchment and can I then have a PFD with no attachment point?

Weather is looking more promising this year. Light westerly at the start with 20ks from the SSE for the rest of the weekend. Should I bring my spin pole and S2 Shaggy?

Maybe somebody here can clear this up for me.

This race is cat 3. So requires a 150N PFD with crotch strap and a harness attachment for tether.

If I wear a bowmans harness does that count as my tether attatchment and can I then have a PFD with no attachment point?

As look as they are compatible and can be worn together yes.

Will that still mean a good two dozen? You will need them to read your book and get into the vibe !!

Oh at least.

??? Spinnaker pole ??

What is this spinnaker pole of which you speak?

Is that some sort of survey on sail selection?

??? Spinnaker pole ??

What is this spinnaker pole of which you speak?

Is that some sort of survey on sail selection?

Well played. That was a hoot Wednesday Shaggy cheers.

With a week out, I am praying to the weather gods for a southerly trend.

It looks like a good fleet, some 95 + yachts.

Predictwind grib for the start time on Saturday.

S2C_zpsqrue3atg.gif

And at 10pm Saturday night
S2C10pm_zpsfczjcqrh.gif

Well, another year out of the way, and suffice to say the weather this time of year held true to form, with very light winds for the majority of the race.

A really light air start caused some issues with two general recalls, before the fleet sorted itself out on the away to Point Lookout. We tried running the staysail but it really made no difference in the lighter airs.

Past point lookout we still had a beam reach so we thought we'd chance staying out and rhumb lining to Cape Moreton. With Scanas on the helm, we had a nice 15-20 kn Easterly fill in off the Moreton Island coast, enough for a great three sail reach up the coast,we hauled in a ton of boats that had gone in to the beach before we turned over the top of Moreton.

In the process of dropping the gennaker and setting the deeper angle kite at the turn, we had a wee snafu, the kite set taking some 20 mins and in the process losing a spinnaker sheet over the side.

Round the top mark for the run back into the bay, the snuffer decided to play up and again we lost time before finally giivng up and dropping the whole mess through the hatch. We then promptly ran into the obligatory light airs again, 4-5 knots just not enough to get any heel on the boat and we watched the hard fought gains melt away as the boats we'd passed just walked away.

With some new crew, now in the dark, bits of string as a temp spinnaker sheet stopping us trimming in the kite and the wind just seemingly going lighter, I girled out of resetting the aso and went for preservation, leaving the gennaker up rather than attempt to re-set the deeper angle aso, and promptly paid the price, we stuck to the water like glue for the run to Sandgate, watching the whole fleet pass us buy in VMG mode.

I need to get a bit more serious, lock in the regular crew for some training days to bed in the maneuvers if we are going to do well in these conditions. The next purchase methinks will be some light air wardrobe, having opted for heavier cloth initially not helping the cause, but aside form getting pantsed it was good fun none the less. No damage, no injuries, we live to fight another day.

Thanks to the crew , and thanks always to QCYC for their efforts. This was one of the qualifiers for the B2G race in Easter which was nice to put away. We'll be back next year.

SB

We did well to stay in touch in the 10 knot breeze at the start but the 2-5 knot squarer stuff at the end was brutal.

Thanks for the invite, the sandwich platter, the fruit platter, the cheese platter & everything else Shaggy.