Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shootist Jeff

Grumpy old man Pet Peeve #69

Its fucking pronounced "Butt-IN" with a hard "t".

It is NOT pronounced "Buh-un" you stupid fucking, lazy twats who call yourselves "journalists"!

Im waitn 4 news ppl 2 start publishing using abbvns as regular text in mainstream nwspprz common punctuation is alrdy 4fit in common riting as is spelign just look at the way about a 1/4 of posters write on this board lol

Vocally, more & more news "talent" pronounces "waiting" as "wait-in", etc. I learned early on, that our call letters were not "dubiyaemm-are-tee"... Now, get the hell off my lawn.

Just saying Everytime i read a headline article that says "insert celebrity SLAMMED by insert someone" a little bit of me dies inside.

I hate their use of grammar checkers that compel them to the use of the present tense on subjects in the past for fear of using a passive voice.

Im waitn 4 news ppl 2 start publishing using abbvns as regular text in mainstream nwspprz common punctuation is alrdy 4fit in common riting as is spelign just look at the way about a 1/4 of posters write on this board lol

Vocally, more & more news "talent" pronounces "waiting" as "wait-in", etc. I learned early on, that our call letters were not "dubiyaemm-are-tee"... Now, get the hell off my lawn.

dude only old people use text language anymore. My generation moved away from that shit as soon as T9 and limited message lengths went by the wayside.

The bigger issue with modern print journalism is when i can find grammar/typos in your article, you done fucked up in your career choice.

when fucking NPR reporters make more subject-verb mistakes than the local AM talkers

dude only old people use text language anymore. My generation moved away from that shit as soon as T9 and limited message lengths went by the wayside.

The bigger issue with modern print journalism is when i can find grammar/typos in your article, you done fucked up in your career choice.

Ha, yea..... I guess when the president uses something on a regular basis it has pretty much jumped the shark..... #deathtotwitter

Ha, yea..... I guess when the president uses something on a regular basis it has pretty much jumped the shark..... #deathtotwitter

i still have yet to grasp the reasoning for twitter's existence.

Oh, and WTF is a turban engine?

turb-eye-ne ??

what would you know?

eK specially

when the hell did they put a K in that word?

it is especially no fucking K

My Facebook feed seems to belie that claim, while you left out a capitalization and a comma as well. T9 must have been on its morning break. :)

.....the propulsion component of a hijacked airliner?

It's where you grab the end of a terrorist turban and pull start them!

Yeah, I know I'm going to hell for that one....

WL

My Facebook feed seems to belie that claim, while you left out a capitalization and a comma as well. T9 must have been on its morning break. :)

capitalization is done automagically for me in ms word and my phone, along whith autumatic spell check.... and i just don't give a shit.. but as far as stupid abbreviations that were done to deal with the number->letter crap and to get under the character limit.... they're dead, jim.

It's "Butt-on" Not "Butt-in".

I feel your pain.......but....take a breath.......and think happy things........ :)

For years I had this picture hanging in my office. Once in a while I'd just look at it and go to my happy place.

surf_print_stoners_bg.gif

I think we need snaggy to moderate this thread

I'm pushing on the 6-0 and I've become a recluse, I have sofaking much mental jewelry everything relates to quality of life. In my youth a boat was a small place, now The Planet is corrupt and broken...

all of these http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/pet-peeves-that-piss-everyone-off_us_56423c9fe4b0b24aee4c0989

+

?

emoji-3-c4dbb2394befa2bedcee7e5987dff4a3

. 404

Don't look at me, I'm hideous.

I'm pushing on the 6-0 and I've become a recluse, I have sofaking much mental jewelry everything relates to quality of life. In my youth a boat was a small place, now The Planet is corrupt and broken...

all of these http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/pet-peeves-that-piss-everyone-off_us_56423c9fe4b0b24aee4c0989

+

?

emoji-3-c4dbb2394befa2bedcee7e5987dff4a3

. 404

Don't look at me, I'm hideous.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/pet-peeves-that-piss-everyone-off_us_56423c9fe4b0b24aee4c0989

Missed one.....people who load the dishwasher with the tines of the fork down in the silverware basket !!

Missed one.....people who load the dishwasher with the tines of the fork down in the silverware basket !!

Hey, I resemble that remark! That way the tines of the fork don't get contaminated by your grubby paws when you pull them out.

Thanks for that.

One of our daughters says "butt-in". Every time she does I just look at her and wonder where the heck she picked that up.........I think she does it to tease me because I mentioned it once.

Kids........

Hey, I resemble that remark! That way the tines of the fork don't get contaminated by your grubby paws when you pull them out.

But they don't get an adequate wash/rinse that way! Wash yer hands before you grab them! :)

It is NOT pronounced "Buh-un" you stupid fucking, lazy twats who call yourselves "journalists"!

Heaven forbid we have a country with regional and cultural dialects and accents right? Everyone should speak with Standard Midwestern American Accent, because variation makes us old men grumpy ... except, whoops, looks like we're doing it "wrong" too; http://www.pbs.org/speak/seatosea/americanvarieties/midwest/

And you kids get your bikes off my lawn!

Americans expressing a concern for clear and correct pronunciation of the English language. :blink:

There IS hope for the world.

By the way JB - I believe what you are referring to is called the glottal stop. It's when speakers form their words in their throat instead of their mouth - their tongues rarely touch the back of their teeth.

Just lazy, sloppy speech. The English are the worst offenders nowadays, especially in the north. They are rapidly becoming virtually unintelligible to anyone who learned English anywhere else.

But they don't get an adequate wash/rinse that way! Wash yer hands before you grab them! :)

What are you, an animal? Lick that fork clean before you put it in the wash! ;o)

But they don't get an adequate wash/rinse that way! Wash yer hands before you grab them! :)What are you, an animal? Lick that fork clean before you put it in the wash! ;o):o

;)

Somethink and everythink...Maybe an Australian thing but fuck it annoys me.

Newk-YOO-ler...eight fuckin' years of it...

+1

And when did Meningococcal become a noun?

Americans expressing a concern for clear and correct pronunciation of the English language. :blink:

There IS hope for the world.

By the way JB - I believe what you are referring to is called the glottal stop. It's when speakers form their words in their throat instead of their mouth - their tongues rarely touch the back of their teeth.

Just lazy, sloppy speech. The English are the worst offenders nowadays, especially in the north. They are rapidly becoming virtually unintelligible to anyone who learned English anywhere else.

Check out that NPR piece that I linked in my earlier post, it suggests that the throat-versions are sometimes the correct ones. George Orwell goes into the evolution of pronunciation in his books, it seems that the "upper class" tendency to pronounce words in a certain way became the "correct" way, regardless that they often weren't correct at all, but rather an attempt to sound a bit less guttural, which was considered a trait of of the working class.

Or the working class tendency to "drop their aitches" was actually the original pronunciation, and the upper class added these affected hyper-inflected "aitch" sounds to words that didn't even originally have them. Once again, as spelling became standardized through the 1700s and 1800s, the "aitch" versions of words became the ones that made it into the dictionaries, regardless that they were phone as a 3-pence pound.

But yeah, it wasn't the working class folks who were publishing dictionaries.

Dropping aitches is an ancient anomaly now - it's deteriorated way beyond that. When I lived in England in the early 60's the Cockneys from the London Docklands and Glasgow dock rats had, by far, the most unintelligible speech in the country. BBC announcers set the standard for clear enunciation.

Now Cockney speech is nothing out of the ordinary and even Beeb announcers are becoming mumble mouthed. The entire country is heading towards speaking some kind of patois. Good ol' boy stock car racers are easier to understand.

The best illustration of it is to watch an old movie like an Ealing Studios comedy from the 50's and then watch something contemporary - the difference is stunning.

T'sa bleedin' shame init?

Dropping aitches is an ancient anomaly now - it's deteriorated way beyond that. When I lived in England in the early 60's the Cockneys from the London Docklands and Glasgow dock rats had, by far, the most unintelligible speech in the country. BBC announcers set the standard for clear enunciation.

Now Cockney speech is nothing out of the ordinary and even Beeb announcers are becoming mumble mouthed. The entire country is heading towards speaking some kind of patois. Good ol' boy stock car racers are easier to understand.

The best illustration of it is to watch an old movie like an Ealing Studios comedy from the 50's and then watch something contemporary - the difference is stunning.

"An Englishman's way of speaking absolutely classifies him,

The moment he talks, he makes some other Englishman despise him."

What about "off of". Why the redundant "of"?

eK specially

EKzactly!

And for the rest of you fucks, this threat is not about pronunciation choices like Potato/Potatoe, etc. Its about lazy fuckwads who can't pronounce normal words.

And get off my lawn!

No, its not. Click the little speaker butt-in in the link below. Besides, say that out loud..... Butt-on. Butt on. Who the fuck says Butt ON??? Well other than someone from Birmingham, england with a mouthful of peanut butter and a sock from Colorado.

A Butt ON is something you pass during a track relay.

eK specially

EKzactly!

And for the rest of you fucks, this threat is not about pronunciation choices like Potato/Potatoe, etc. Its about lazy fuckwads who can't pronounce normal words.

And get off my lawn!

So you are a peedent ?

I've met a bunch of Canadian engineers from Winterpeg who cannot pronounce this word correctly.

Someone please tell my father there isn't an R in Washington.

No, its not. Click the little speaker butt-in in the link below. Besides, say that out loud..... Butt-on. Butt on. Who the fuck says Butt ON??? Well other than someone from Birmingham, england with a mouthful of peanut butter and a sock from Colorado.

A Butt ON is something you pass during a track relay.

Button pronunciation

Did you notice that Mr. Left? JBSF is still privy to the secret that you don't actually exist. You are just a contraption I dreamed up with all of this time I have to post for two separate people.

Can you post an example from a YouTube video or something of this new demented Idiocracy-style patois?

The common refrain in the last couple decades was that the adorable accents of yore were on their way out, and the English speaking world was moving to a common accent, something between Australian and American, with even British schoolchildren developing an Aussie accent from growing up addicted to the Aussie television shows.

When my daughters were younger they used to watch a lot of those Aussie teen drama serials, I didn't understand the appeal. But back when they had an Alabama accent, and affected speech like the Aussie teens on the tv, the end result was the kind of accent that I'm sure Satan himself uses to lure sailors to their death when he wears the siren suit.

Me too! that way the tines of the fork, or the tip of the knife blade(cheap knife) doesn't end up under your fingernail with blood on the clean dishes!

My new pet peeve. Wine lovers. I have enjoyed the occasional glass (or bottle) of wine for 30 years. People I know who for the first 28 of those years would say yuck when offered a glass of nice wine. Now that wine is popular with all their friends they post on facebook every fucking day about how great wine is and how they are ha ha winos... fucking lemmings.

My new pet peeve. Wine lovers. I have enjoyed the occasional glass (or bottle) of wine for 30 years. People I know who for the first 28 of those years would say yuck when offered a glass of nice wine. Now that wine is popular with all their friends they post on facebook every fucking day about how great wine is and how they are ha ha winos... fucking lemmings.

I don't understand wine.

It kind of reminds me of whisky, but without the deliciousness.

Do they take the deliciousness out of wine and then use that to fortify the deliciousness of whisky? What's the appeal of that stuff?

Someone please tell my father there isn't an R in Washington.

Let me guess. He's from Indiana.

Can you post an example from a YouTube video or something of this new demented Idiocracy-style patois?

Check out any episode of Coronation Street.

I lived in England a couple of time for about 2 1/2 years total, my daughter and her family live there yet when my wife watches The Street I only get about one word in three. Subtitle are mandatory.

Food snobs

A Camry is NOT a Tie-yota

Veet Nyam

Eye thinks eyl take a pixture ov the aloo-nee-umm siding next to thuu chimbly.

Oregon - say Organ, not Or-A-Gon.

Eye thinks eyl take a pixture ov the aloo-nee-umm siding next to thuu chimbly.

aluminIum, bonnet & boot, Perspex.......

https://youtu.be/cHlQG-HXI8E

I lived in England a couple of time for about 2 1/2 years total, my daughter and her family live there yet when my wife watches The Street I only get about one word in three. Subtitle are mandatory.

I don't doubt your difficulty with whatever accent is that, but I find it easy enough to understand.

Seems incredibly boring however, the hardest part about following that would be staying awake for more than 2 minutes.

I don't doubt your difficulty with whatever accent is that, but I find it easy enough to understand.

Seems incredibly boring however, the hardest part about following that would be staying awake for more than 2 minutes.

It's not an accent, it's merely sloppy, lazy and semi-articulate speech.

It's supposed to be near Manchester in central England.

I'm surprised you can understand it - do you mean every word or that you can get the gist of what they are saying?

Hundred not hunnerd! ARGH!

it's "hunnit" my brutha ;)

"Center, Cessna 123 with you at 3500ft enroute to bumfuck via eastern bumfuck VOR with Oscar at our destination two hours away". Get with it Cessna, just tell them who you are and your altitude and shut the fuck up. The hell does "with you" mean anyway...

"Center, Cessna 123 with you at 3500ft enroute to bumfuck via eastern bumfuck VOR with Oscar at our destination two hours away". Get with it Cessna, just tell them who you are and your altitude and shut the fuck up. The hell does "with you" mean anyway...

sorry mustang. This is a grumpy old man pet peeve thread. I don't think you are age appropriate for this thread, you seem to have the grumpy part down though.

What is the age cut-off anyway......I know I qualify, just wondering...

That'd be Mustang+1, for a couple more decades at least

I don't have a problem with "with you" or "checking in" or similar. It denotes to a busy controller that he has someone new up on freq so he doesn't have to go looking for the strips.

What I have a problem with is the verbal diarrhea of useless info that follows. If the controller wants to know where I'm going, what airway I'm on (he can see it anyway) and such, he'll ask when he has the time. And if you've been handed over by another controller, the new guy likely knows anyway.

If I'm being handed over from one center to another, it would sound like "LA Center, Rocket 21, checking in, 10 point 5". The only exception to adding a bit of info would be if I popped up in his area with no notice, like taking off VFR from a non-controlled airfield or having popped up from a VR low level route. In that case, it might sound like this: "Salt Lake center, Rocket 21 with you, flight of 2 Eagles, 10 miles North of Cedar City VOR, thirty five hundred climbing VFR, Request". That way he can quickly find you on his scope. He doesn't care anything about where you're going or anything other than where you are and whether you are a factor to other traffic. All the rest can come later, which is why you add the word "request" on the end so he can deal with you in his own time when he can get to it.

It's not an accent, it's merely sloppy, lazy and semi-articulate speech.

It's supposed to be near Manchester in central England.

I'm surprised you can understand it - do you mean every word or that you can get the gist of what they are saying?

I understood almost all of it, except for a few words from the guy with his arm in the sling.

I have teenagers though, maybe my ears are used to lazy language for the next few years.

I think you're confusing accent with dialect.

A cumbrian "accent" is almost intelligible with a good ear..it's way older than "modern english" but I think some traces survive in your Cumberland regional accent/dialect.

I don't understand wine.

Its a warm up.

Get home from a long week at work. Bottle of wine, steak as you decompress and talk to family.

Then you are nicely relaxed for Whisky and Cigar as all the loud people bugger off and leave you to it.

There is absolutely nothing that complements a rare 2" thick porterhouse steak like a full bodied South Aus Shiraz.

And only a philistine would not finish the night with a nice smokey Islay whisky and cigar (Not sure I am able to mention my preferred cigars on an American forum.

These are not opinions, they are unequivical fact, not denied by anyone who has relevent experience. Ignorance, like virginity, can be cured.

I don't understand wine.

Do they take the deliciousness out of wine and then use that to fortify the deliciousness of whisky? What's the appeal of that stuff?

If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand.

I don't understand wine.

Its a warm up.

Get home from a long week at work. Bottle of wine, steak as you decompress and talk to family.

Then you are nicely relaxed for Whisky and Cigar as all the loud people bugger off and leave you to it.

There is absolutely nothing that complements a rare 2" thick porterhouse steak like a full bodied [b<South Aus Shiraz. [/b]

And only a philistine would not finish the night with a nice smokey Islay whisky and cigar (Not sure I am able to mention my preferred cigars on an American forum.

These are not opinions, they are unequivical fact, not denied by anyone who has relevent experience. Ignorance, like virginity, can be cured.

You just hit a nerve with that.

I joke, but they first time I had an Aussie shiraz was accidentally on my wife's birthday at a plain little place in NYC, I still remember my first glass, I couldn't even say that it was incredible, it was supermodel pussy, it was so good that I tried to smuggle out the empty bottle for the fear that I might not remember the name. It was nothing like any wine I ever had before that. Perfectly dry, any hint of sweetness was banished from that bottle.

Come to think of it, I started drinking more heavily after that, because I could never find the same kind at the liquor store, and every bottle of shiraz after that didn't taste as good, so I increasingly went to tequila and bourbon. It was like I was hunting for a lost first love and ended up banging a bunch of hoochies.

But that wasn't wine, that was dead nuts perfect.

I don't understand wine.

Its a warm up.

There is absolutely nothing that complements a rare 2" thick porterhouse steak like a full bodied [b<South Aus Shiraz. [/b]

I joke, but they first time I had an Aussie shiraz was accidentally on my wife's birthday at a plain little place in NYC, I still remember my first glass, I couldn't even say that it was incredible, it was supermodel pussy, it was so good that I tried to smuggle out the empty bottle for the fear that I might not remember the name. It was nothing like any wine I ever had before that. Perfectly dry, any hint of sweetness was banished from that bottle.

Come to think of it, I started drinking more heavily after that, because I could never find the same kind at the liquor store, and every bottle of shiraz after that didn't taste as good, so I increasingly went to tequila and bourbon. It was like I was hunting for a lost first love and ended up banging a bunch of hoochies.

The part that I bolded indicates that you have been drinking the wrong kind of wine. Step away from the 'two buck chuck' and there is hope maybe. A wine friend of mine summed it up well with 8 simple words. "Pull lots of corks, remember what you tasted." That is how you learn about wine.

I don't have a problem with "with you" or "checking in" or similar. It denotes to a busy controller that he has someone new up on freq so he doesn't have to go looking for the strips.

What I have a problem with is the verbal diarrhea of useless info that follows. If the controller wants to know where I'm going, what airway I'm on (he can see it anyway) and such, he'll ask when he has the time. And if you've been handed over by another controller, the new guy likely knows anyway.

If I'm being handed over from one center to another, it would sound like "LA Center, Rocket 21, checking in, 10 point 5". The only exception to adding a bit of info would be if I popped up in his area with no notice, like taking off VFR from a non-controlled airfield or having popped up from a VR low level route. In that case, it might sound like this: "Salt Lake center, Rocket 21 with you, flight of 2 Eagles, 10 miles North of Cedar City VOR, thirty five hundred climbing VFR, Request". That way he can quickly find you on his scope. He doesn't care anything about where you're going or anything other than where you are and whether you are a factor to other traffic. All the rest can come later, which is why you add the word "request" on the end so he can deal with you in his own time when he can get to it.

While i don't disagree with anything else in that SOP, i think the with you/checking in is still superfluous, especially when they're busy. Still nothing worse than the KVNC flight school and their foreign students that don't speaky english so well, and take for fucking ever to get their message out. I've had to do 360's outside the C / B airspace waiting for them to finish so i can get the fuck back home.

sorry mustang. This is a grumpy old man pet peeve thread. I don't think you are age appropriate for this thread, you seem to have the grumpy part down though.

yer goddamn right i do!

While i don't disagree with anything else in that SOP, i think the with you/checking in is still superfluous, especially when they're busy. Still nothing worse than the KVNC flight school and their foreign students that don't speaky english so well, and take for fucking ever to get their message out. I've had to do 360's outside the C / B airspace waiting for them to finish so i can get the fuck back home.

Get that damned rating and be done with it.

It's "Rocket one, request" and shut the fuck up until called.

I think you're confusing accent with dialect.

A cumbrian "accent" is almost intelligible with a good ear..it's way older than "modern english" but I think some traces survive in your Cumberland regional accent/dialect.

I had no trouble at all w/ the Cumbrian dialect (Sounds a lot like parts of New England), The other one was just mumbling, and something about sleeping on a couch.

Ahem. It is ESSPRESSO not EXPRESSO dammit! Thank you.

Irregardless of however one misspells or pronounces it, I imagine the baristas understand.

Irregardless of however one misspells or pronounces it, I imagine the baristas understand.

you mean the fucking counter help?

Barista sounded better than underemployed, college degreed hipster.

Justrynabe sensitive here.

Get that damned rating and be done with it.

It's "Rocket one, request" and shut the fuck up until called.

Which one? I have PPL+IR, working on CPL now, will get begin CFI when i finish CPL.

"regardless"..........please.............don't ask how I learned this one...........

:lol:

I don't understand wine.

Its a warm up.

The part that I bolded indicates that you have been drinking the wrong kind of wine. Step away from the 'two buck chuck' and there is hope maybe. A wine friend of mine summed it up well with 8 simple words. "Pull lots of corks, remember what you tasted." That is how you learn about wine.

That's mainly why I don't like wine, it has a trace of sweetness to it.

I do still aussie shiraz, but that's it, but I haven't found one that was as dry as that one I had so many years ago.

Whisky, rhum and tequila don't play that game. You have a rough idea of what's in store for you before you pour it. Wine is like "hey motherfucker, I might taste awesome and I might taste like Robitussin cough syrup, you have to buy me to find out."

I'm too old for that nonsense.