• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wristwister

I'm considering buying ONE new sail ...

37 posts in this topic

Here's the deal, I've got this old beater Columbia 26 I use for farting around and beer can races. It's not the kind of boat I would consider spending real money on. I typically race with inexperienced or shorthanded crew, so I'm typically not in a position to fly my symmetric. My big genny is in pretty sad shape and is doing me no favors in light wind. My main's in decent shape, and the #2 and #3 are also pretty decent, so I'm OK for heavier winds. However, most of my sailing and racing seems to be in very light winds (Seattle area).

I'm considering buying one and only one new sail for the old tub. Given a blown out genny and infrequency of flying the symmetric, what one sail would you all suggest? I'm leaning toward a big drifter. Seems like a simple solution I could fly on all tacks (right?). But will that screw my upwind performance? Should I consider a new 150 genny instead? Or perhaps a good assymetric, then use my #2 for upwind tacks?

What say you?

Buy some time and give it more thought

Buy the Genoa, and keep your eyes open for a deal on a used a-sail if that's what you want. It won't be faster than a symmetrical chute (probably slower) and it'll probably be a pita jibing with a masthead rig. With just a little practice you can fly a symmetrical chute double-handed in light air on your boat, and three-up in moderate air. I'd go that route.

If you buy a drifter, you'll end up carrying the sail in higher wind than it was built for, since you'll be reluctant to change short handed. The sail will quickly become blown out. An all-purpose Genoa is going to hold up much better.

any thought to taking the time penalty and getting a 165% genoa?

Nothing goes upwind like $. Get a proper Genoa, find a used kite, they are easier to recur to fit

Yes, best investment is the Genoa, you spend a lot more time upwind than downwind and this is the sail that will pull you through.

Not sure about hte size of it, but choose a sailmaker that knows the boat and lives nearby so he can measure, follow-up and help with the tuning.

If you're planning on spending a lot of time in the Southern Ocean, you should go for the blast reacher.

Thanks guys. Well, it seems pretty unanimous, you all think a big new genny is the way I should go. Boat show is coming up and I plan to spend a day with the local sail makers discussing. I'll take your advice into consideration.

Unless main is really, really decent....i.e. Pretty good, and you are only going to buy one sail, I'd go for a new main. It's the only sail you use all the time...upwind, reaching, downwind. Every other sail only gets used "sometimes"

Talk to Vince at ullman in Anacortes. He'll take care of ya.

Genoa. Mains can be re-cut battens added etc etc . But new Genoas are the cats meow. I'm buying at least one this year as well .

DAN- I vote for a new mainsail. That Soling logo is cool but you can't fool me! That boat is a Columbia 26 and needs a proper main with Columbia's logo!

Here's the deal, I've got this old beater Columbia 26 I use for farting around and beer can races. It's not the kind of boat I would consider spending real money on. I typically race with inexperienced or shorthanded crew, so I'm typically not in a position to fly my symmetric. My big genny is in pretty sad shape and is doing me no favors in light wind. My main's in decent shape, and the #2 and #3 are also pretty decent, so I'm OK for heavier winds. However, most of my sailing and racing seems to be in very light winds (Seattle area).

I'm considering buying one and only one new sail for the old tub. Given a blown out genny and infrequency of flying the symmetric, what one sail would you all suggest? I'm leaning toward a big drifter. Seems like a simple solution I could fly on all tacks (right?). But will that screw my upwind performance? Should I consider a new 150 genny instead? Or perhaps a good assymetric, then use my #2 for upwind tacks?

What say you?

I'd say you answered your own question...

I assume you have the Tripp designed Mark II with fin keel

Sailed on one many years ago. Pretty quick reaching and okay running but upwind not so much - but we had a pretty blown out genoa and it came with a roller reefing main, which limits the batten choices.

Being more of a CCA design, it is not endowed with a lot of sail area, but I've seen one tricked out with things like an elliptical rudder and possibly a bumped rig that was quite competitive in PHRF.

Genoa is the obvious one new sail - and get rid of the roller reefing (assuming your Columbia has roller reefing as well) and see what a saii maker can tweak to improve the main

Here's the deal, I've got this old beater Columbia 26 I use for farting around and beer can races.

Nothing goes upwind like $. Get a proper Genoa, find a used kite, they are easier to recur to fit

Yea, I just spent $$$ on a new main, # 1 and #2, and have an new spin on order.

Sailboat Racing = $$$ if you want to win

I expect to win (everything) this year as I am replacing the inventory of 3 to 4 years old sails (as boat was purchased) .......................This weekend, 1,1,2 = we won with a brand new #2, the new main has been used about 5 times...........................I cannot wait for the new .6 Spin. Ullman is doing the job..........................YEA

DAN- I vote for a new mainsail. That Soling logo is cool but you can't fool me! That boat is a Columbia 26 and needs a proper main with Columbia's logo!

Nah, I get a kick out of confusing people with that Soling logo. Plus that main is in decent shape and fits well.

Code zero for upwind in drifters

A sail make at the boat show also recommended a code zero. Sounds interesting, but how close hauled can you go with a code zero?

I think you should buy me a new main.

A sail make at the boat show also recommended a code zero. Sounds interesting, but how close hauled can you go with a code zero?

Depends on the zero, you want a big genny for the best compromise. We have a zero on our non overlapping boat and it's a weapon in light reachy and somewhat upwind stuff but we can't carry higher than 50 or so AWA. Talk to vince at Ullman and he will set you up with a nice new genoa.

it sounds like the sailmaker is a moron and unfamiliar with your boat. A Code 0 isn't going to replace a Genoa on a masthead boat, and the window where it works better than a Genoa is going to be pretty small. Run away from that sailmaker, they're feeding you a line of bullshit.

I think you should buy me a new main.

For the win! :D

Getting back to the OP's actual question- it's an older boat with very low intrinsic value. My suggestion would be to aggressively shop for a 2nd-hand 155 genny. It's a masthead boat, but not one of those fancy ones with lots of rig control and high pointing capability. It's not going to return -any- of the money you spend on it, other than in the form of increased fun. This particular boat is very much genoa-driven.

How much money would you spend throwing an epic party? A social event that leaves naked people sleeping on the lawn, and all your friends, family, and co-workers, will make into a buzzword for at least a few years? Don't spend more than that on new sails for a racing boat. It's strictly for fun, except that it won't make you a hero to anybody except your regular crew (and probably not them either).

BTW spend an afternoon longboarding your hull & keel, next time you do a haul-out. That will pay dividends at least as big, and costs you nothing except time & labor.

FB- Doug

You have a nice boat.

Dont skimp. Life is short. G Now + M sometime later.

So you are racing typicallu in very light winds and don't use the kite with such a small boat? Kite would help you much more than any new sail. Spend you time learning how to use the kite alone or with just one person you can trust instead of thinking which sails to buy.

There seems to be several Columbia 26's. Is this the boat you have: http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=467

Thanks for keeping the comments coming guys. As I said in my original post, I've got several decent headsails in my inventory, including a crispy #2 that's, like, a 140% or so. It's my big #1 (~170%) that's in pretty rough shape, and due to predominantly light wind sailing that's the one that gets hoisted most often. I do have a good symmetric for downwind runs, and when the crew is up for it we hoist that. Yes, I've flown that spinny with inexperienced crew and even single handed, but in short crowded races that's not advisable. The reason I was originally thinking along the lines of drifter/genneker/assym/code 0 is simplicity of rigging and launching. That #2 does pretty well close hauled in light air. We need something to catch the wind downwind and maybe on reaches. But I do hear what you're all saying about possibly going with a new 170 genny or some such thing.

Joekim, it's this one: http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=605

Steam Flyer, I hear what you're saying about spending half the worth of the boat on a sail. I plan on keeping this boat for a while and the sail would be worth it to me, but I'm also keeping my eyes peeled for a used sail that would do the trick. And yes, she's about due foe a haul out and bottom paint and I understand the value of that.

Obviously you need a new Genoa. But if you can afford it, why not also throw in a little wind seeker? If you usually sail in very very light winds, this little cloth can be a real weapon :)

That stock pic on sailboat data is Sweet!!!! holy bloopers batman...

NORBowGirl, I had to look up windseeker to see what you're talking about. Interestingly, I have one of these for my other sailboat, although it's labeled as a "tall boy". I've tried that sail as an accessory to the spinnaker, and determined that in general the benefit wasn't worth the hassle. But I haven't tried it on it's own reaching in very light air. Throwing up a narrow blade of a sail in lieu of a monster genny in light air seems counterintuitive, but after reading up on how it works it makes sense. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll play around with the tallboy/windseeker on the Tartan and see if I think such a sail would have a place on the C26.

NORBowGirl, I had to look up windseeker to see what you're talking about. Interestingly, I have one of these for my other sailboat, although it's labeled as a "tall boy". I've tried that sail as an accessory to the spinnaker, and determined that in general the benefit wasn't worth the hassle. But I haven't tried it on it's own reaching in very light air. Throwing up a narrow blade of a sail in lieu of a monster genny in light air seems counterintuitive, but after reading up on how it works it makes sense. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll play around with the tallboy/windseeker on the Tartan and see if I think such a sail would have a place on the C26.

We used one when there was no wind at all, and most times it magically found some wind, made us get going and ready to replace it with either jib or spinnaker. Hence the name I guess :) Other boats in the fleet were left behind. Now I almost cry if I'm on a boat without it and the wind is gone. It was so little and thin, can't be very expenive. Ours was using the forestay.

If you want to accessorize your spinnaker you should probably buy a staysail instead. Also small and cheap but made for more wind :) a lot of fun for the crew to play with and they will have more tasks. Also fun for the bow team 😀

I would prioritize sails in this order if I had every regular sail in place:

1) windseeker if conditions are mostly light

2) jib top if conditions are windy and lots of reaching

3) staysail for downwind

If I get them all I'm a very happy camper and know that we can handle every condition :)

AP genoa is the call. You will use it in most of the wind range up-wind and reaching, and wing-and-wing downwind, too.

Figure out how to use your tallboy in the super-light stuff, when there isn't enough wind to fill the genny. If it has a low clew, you might want to have your sail maker raise it a bit, so it's easier to set the lead.

If you decide to abandon your s-kite, the next sail would be an A-1 kite for reaching and running in light air.

I'd get a new 150 and a used symmetric. It seems like used symmetric kites are little easier to come by. Under 15knots, double handing with a symmetric shouldn't be too difficult on 26ft boat and will would probably be easier to race with from a tactical perspective (more forgiving with deeper apparent wind angles). For sail makers in Seattle, Ballard sails have a pretty good reputation. Not sure about ulman sails. A friend with 40.7 who went with them recently did not have the best experience.

We have a new Ullman upwind inventory. It is absolutely bomber and fast, you will not be disappointed. PM me and I can send you the right way.

We used one when there was no wind at all, and most times it magically found some wind, made us get going and ready to replace it with either jib or spinnaker. Hence the name I guess :) Other boats in the fleet were left behind. Now I almost cry if I'm on a boat without it and the wind is gone. It was so little and thin, can't be very expenive. Ours was using the forestay.

If you want to accessorize your spinnaker you should probably buy a staysail instead. Also small and cheap but made for more wind :) a lot of fun for the crew to play with and they will have more tasks. Also fun for the bow team

I would prioritize sails in this order if I had every regular sail in place:

1) windseeker if conditions are mostly light

2) jib top if conditions are windy and lots of reaching

3) staysail for downwind

If I get them all I'm a very happy camper and know that we can handle every condition :)

If one is on a budget, 1) and 3) can be combined.

A Dazy Staysail can be used quite effectively as a windseeker.

There is more to life than just being really, really good-looking.

huh?