ladymarmalade

Radio controlled sailing

1 minute ago, SloopJohnB said:

My new boat the lime green one, thats 3 Kantun 2's at club.

Is it faster?

21 minutes ago, SloopJohnB said:

Faster than what, beat 48 all day, beat 00 twice but he beat me more.

Faster than your old boat against your usual competition in the club.

Edit: Where is that water?  Looks ideal.

Hard to say as it's been in the water twice, still time to learn how to sail her, at this stage I am probably about the same with the old V8.

Wattle Farm Ponds in Auckland.

The best sailing water in Auckland, but I could be biased as I am the commodore.;) 

http://www.wattlefarmsailing.nz/

4 hours ago, SloopJohnB said:

Hard to say as it's been in the water twice, still time to learn how to sail her, at this stage I am probably about the same with the old V8.

Wattle Farm Ponds in Auckland.

The best sailing water in Auckland, but I could be biased as I am the commodore.;) 

http://www.wattlefarmsailing.nz/

Couldn't see on the photo, did you get the rigs and sails with the boat? 

Yes complete sail away setup, 2 A rigs, 1 b & C rigs.

I will have to update my profile picture.

We are looking at group of us coming across in Feb, there 7 Kiwis in Hobart earlier this year.

The club are organizing the NZ Nationals (19 -22 Oct) at this stage there are 3 ozzies and 1 yank entered.

Whats the eta for your boat?

1 hour ago, SloopJohnB said:

We are looking at group of us coming across in Feb, there 7 Kiwis in Hobart earlier this year.

The club are organizing the NZ Nationals (19 -22 Oct) at this stage there are 3 ozzies and 1 yank entered.

Whats the eta for your boat?

We have our Qld States here the week after your Nationals.  My boat should be here Oct/Nov, hopefully. 

How long did your order take?   I like your idea of the extra A-rig.

Just now, SloopJohnB said:

Ordered it late Jan but placed the order for the second A rig mid Feb.

So you saw Paul Jones perform with his and wanted one?  At least his didn't sink.

On 6/28/2018 at 11:57 PM, Connor.kainalu said:

Can anyone help me figure out a spinnaker system?

Friends used to use a cordless screwdriver motor for the spinnaker halyard on his AC boat.  You need something that goes and goes and goes - in both directions.

MS

Here is a link to the regatta report from the just completed UK IOM Nationals at Fleetwood, Lancs. - 84 boats - winds from light to 30kts.

https://gbriom.com/2018/08/29/fleetwood-delivers-2018-iom-nationals-report/

And take a look at the link near the bottom of the page to the Damian Ackroyd photos - especially pages 2 and 3 for some wild C rig action.

John

On 2/18/2017 at 2:26 AM, musicman said:

Fun little A sail test with one of the 2M AC boats.

Hello - would like to go back to an earlier part of the thread regarding sail laminates for rc boats.  I am now making my own sails for my multihulls and am looking for a lightweight scrim that can take a bit of a hammering.  75micron mylar drafting film is no good for my needs.. If anyone can help me with sourcing material this would be much appreciated.  Many thanks

FB Cover 2.jpg

B rig pocket luff s.jpg

• Like 1

On 11/27/2017 at 1:58 PM, Bent Sailor said:

So, and correct me if I'm wrong, it's the "thrill of competition" that makes RC boats cool then? Which is cool and all. Just not my thing and I can say "thanks but no thanks" to an offer from an acquaintance on one of the boats. Competition isn't that big a thrill for me and I have enough expensive hobbies! :) 

Not just competition!  Can be speed too:

https://www.youtube.com/attribution_link?a=roJ78HKWr6Y&u=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DjMw_wfGhVq4%26feature%3Dshare

4.jpg

That thing is cool. As I've just graduated yacht design school, I'm kind of interested in design in something like that. 

I was out watching yesterday.  The cool front that blew in Saturday night made for some unstable winds from the NW.  NW is a bad direction for the venue since BASS PRO shops casts a huge shadow over the course.  This morning i drove over the bridge to work and the wind looked a lot better out of the SW with decent waves.  I wanted to race, but work seemed to get in the way this week.  

I got a new to me Soling yesterday, so I can race with the local fleet (the DF 95 is a little unfair in some conditions with a mixed fleet). Along with the 36-600 rebuild my fleet is starting to look better. 

20181121_222620.jpg

20181121_221827.jpg

20181121_222620.jpg

Good call to just sail whatever the locals are sailing.

The 95's are about to go big-time here next year.  We might see you at a Worlds one day!

Meanwhile I just received a new Kantun 2 IOM.  Nice.

On 11/22/2018 at 2:09 PM, willp14335 said:

I got a new to me Soling yesterday, so I can race with the local fleet (the DF 95 is a little unfair in some conditions with a mixed fleet). Along with the 36-600 rebuild my fleet is starting to look better. 

20181121_222620.jpg

20181121_221827.jpg

20181121_222620.jpg

I see the ballast bulb missing on the NW. Also saw your post on RC Groups about a new bulb. What weight bulb was it? 4 lbs? 

The bulb was 1.4 kg, so about 3 lbs. The Northwind is a light boat at 5.4ish lbs total. I think customs might have taken the bulb, it went into a box to ship internationally and didn't come out again. I'm pretty sure lead is not supposed to get shipped as it is technically poisonous. 

I took the Soling out for the first time today. It is a fun boat to sail in a different way than the 95 and made some impressive wakes in the puffs. It weighs as much as my other two boats combined. 

imagejpeg_3.jpg

20181123_162321~01.jpg

imagejpeg_2.jpg

imagejpeg_1.jpg

4 hours ago, willp14335 said:

I'm pretty sure lead is not supposed to get shipped as it is technically poisonous.

You need to confirm that because there is a lot of parts and boats shipped to the states, with bulbs.

Might be something else, just a stuff-up maybe.

On 11/24/2018 at 8:58 PM, random said:

You need to confirm that because there is a lot of parts and boats shipped to the states, with bulbs.

Might be something else, just a stuff-up maybe.

You'd think customs would have left a note if they went into the case and broke something like that off to confiscate it.

He shipped his boats in a rigid golf bag case, on a partial pallet shipment with all his other gear and goods from school. So it entered the US on a container ship. It's hard to picture a customs officer at a container port caring about a three pound lead keel enough to open a golf bag case.

Unless the golf case drew attention because it had a bunch of weird electrical bits in it that didn't look anything like golf clubs on an X-ray. But you'd think they still would have left a note.

The bulb was on the keel when the boat got packed into the case in the UK, it managed to get snapped off and disappear from a closed case en route to the PNW somehow.

I shipped a lead bulb from Sailect in england to my home in the usa.  no problem.  had one shipped from another vendor in asia...  received no problem. 

probably all about declarations...  maybe  I don't know..  they just had the DF globals in texas  which resulted in some over seas travel... no matter what, it sucks...

Will,  if you need some lead  let me know I can send a slub your way.  I can pour about 3-4 lbs in a single shot, but with no mold for the bulb shape  it would be a short fat cyclinder

there was a guy in texas making bulbs for the victoria  not sure if that will get close enough to a sailable weight or not, probably not.

marko's bulb calculator tool

http://www.onemetre.net/design/bulbcalc/bulbcalc.htm

also here is a thread on rc group about making a laminated lead bulb http://www.rcsailing.net/forum1/showthread.php?5879-Ac100/page2

use markos bulb calc  and buying a small sheet of lead

might give you some ideas

btw enjoy the soling... its been one of my faves for a few years 

thumbnail-10.jpg

SA-ers.  I'm looking to quickly get into a V6 DF65.  Who do you like for a supplier and is the stock radio/controller adequate?  Feel free to PM if preferred.  Already consulted Mr Google etc.  Hoping for experienced guidance from SA.  Thanks a bunch.

not sure about the stock radio.  i would go with the skyfly i6 radio... or spend the money on a spektrum dx6 if you plan on getting more involved  with other boats.

I'm an RC Newb. I've been racing and playing with an RC Laser a lot this summer. We have a good 7 to 12 boats racing weekly in the winter. I'm climbing from awful to mid fleet. 

I have a question about rules. We have a one turn penalty for fouls. Let's say rule 10 at a start. I foul. Accept it. I'm now told by competitors that I "have no rights" (as he fouls me) until I do my turn in the midst of a fleet at a start. I would foul others if I immediately turned. Is this true in RC racing? Am I an obstruction at that time? We had some fouls at the top mark and boats immediately did their turns in between the mark and offset. That was a hot mess. I'd love to see that in any keelboat race. Luckily the Laser can take a beating. 

My interpretation is that I do need to exonerate myself ASAP. I need to do my turn when clear. Or 'a seaman's like manner' compared to 18. Not create chaos and fouling more boats. Am I correct? It's not like I'm trying to take advantage (if any) of the foul and doing the turn when it suits me. I'm generally just looking to take a clearing tack and turn. 

You are correct - and the application of rule 44.2 is the same as in full sized (Appendix E 4.3  modifies 44.1, but not 44.2).

You have to start to get clear as soon as possible. Rule 22.2  and the obligation to keep clear of other boats only applies when you are clearly starting to take your penalty - until then you have all the benefits and obligations, the same as any other boat that is racing. Just because you 'owe' the fleet a penalty does not make you into an obstruction or a sitting duck..

There is a thread for RC racing rules questions ( follow the link and scroll to the bottom)

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?1834314-Questions-about-the-Racing-Rules-of-Sailing-(RRS)

As a newcomer to RC racing, you may find my web site on rules and tactics for RC sailing of benefit.

https://sites.google.com/site/johnsrcsailingrulesandtactics/

John

• Like 1

Thank you for the clarification and links John. I think our Fleet is going to continue to grow. I'm going to save your .pdfs with credit. 

-Kevin

Please don't save the pdfs. Instead, share the link and go to the web site as needed. The problem with saving the pdfs is that they may become out of date as the rules change, or if I find a error in an item and fix it.

John

1 hour ago, John Ball said:

Please don't save the pdfs. Instead, share the link and go to the web site as needed. The problem with saving the pdfs is that they may become out of date as the rules change, or if I find a error in an item and fix it.

The deal is, web sites come and go with unsettling regularity. The more offsite places data is archived, the better. Yes, keeping it up to date is an issue, but even if some versions are outdated, having a trail of changes is not a bad thing and hopefully, anyway, each copy will have a date/revision number as part of the document.

Splitting hairs here. i'll keep John's docs dated and use them appropriately. I'm pretty sure they'll still be relevant after 2020.   

21 hours ago, JBOATTROUBLEMAKER said:

I can’t say I understand the sport but to each his own...

They are inexpensive cheap to keep and you don't need crew.If you fuck up it's on you not the crew.

On 2/12/2019 at 3:58 PM, JBOATTROUBLEMAKER said:

I can’t say I understand the sport but to each his own...

• new racing jib AND boom, $100 or less
  • moorage: free
  • insurance: free
  • one weekend regatta: I've done 30 races, that's 240 mark roundings = dramatically accelerated learning curve (regatta fee was $25 including lunch provided both days)

I could go on. And yes, I race keelboats too.

I really enjoyed racing the IOM except for one or two skippers that had no idea of the rules of sailing but had the loadest voices. You learnt quickly to spot them an stand away from the BS. Good value sailing but I enjoy being on the boat more than watching.

10 hours ago, Crazy Horse said:

I really enjoyed racing the IOM except for one or two skippers that had no idea of the rules of sailing but had the loadest voices. You learnt quickly to spot them an stand away from the BS. Good value sailing but I enjoy being on the boat more than watching.

Just like the big boats. Staying away from the Trouble makers is usually faster

Just brought 6 Dragonforce 65 for the club, assembly line set up in the workshop, 2 made it to the pond on Saturday.903364608_DF65-4.thumb.jpg.ac73a48a4e182a4501b5b8244b67f2e1.jpg1348626778_DF65-3.thumb.jpg.737040c90e5d0c22f27b0b24c85e8a76.jpg684449648_DF65-2.thumb.jpg.55354b2ece597832e6a01b2689f44e7c.jpg2018573569_DF65-1.thumb.jpg.f677f1117cfa8a76e725ca9e3f18e503.jpg 

I haven't read the whole thread so apologies if any of this said before. I'm a real noobie with this.

I was visiting an umpire friend in Auckland and a couple of evenings went with him to race his model boats. It is a design based on a cruiser racer in appearance and designed by a 'big boat' designer but in one design it almost doesn't matter. He lent me his 'spare' which is identical to his first one.

It was chuffing awesome, even to watch. My buddy is pretty good and many of the races we bracketed the fleet with him up front and me bringing up the rear.

We both race real boats (and umpire them too) so I though being used to often be 'out of the boat' being viewed would be an advantage but no.

On top of all the same wind reading etc etc of a big boat(no I won't fall into the trap of calling the big boats 'real boats') the additional challenge of depth perception when rounding a top mark 100m away plus having to remember to reverse helm controls when the boat is coming towards you really meant I had to concentrate.

Superb fun and a great bunch of guys down there in Auckland - ihad a blast.

Will I do it again?  Certainly will, it was excellent and I finally understand how model boat racers get so enthusiastic about their sport.

See ya on the water 

SS

• Like 1

On 4/6/2019 at 11:22 PM, shanghaisailor said:

I haven't read the whole thread so apologies if any of this said before. I'm a real noobie with this.

I was visiting an umpire friend in Auckland and a couple of evenings went with him to race his model boats. It is a design based on a cruiser racer in appearance and designed by a 'big boat' designer but in one design it almost doesn't matter. He lent me his 'spare' which is identical to his first one.

It was chuffing awesome, even to watch. My buddy is pretty good and many of the races we bracketed the fleet with him up front and me bringing up the rear.

We both race real boats (and umpire them too) so I though being used to often be 'out of the boat' being viewed would be an advantage but no.

On top of all the same wind reading etc etc of a big boat(no I won't fall into the trap of calling the big boats 'real boats') the additional challenge of depth perception when rounding a top mark 100m away plus having to remember to reverse helm controls when the boat is coming towards you really meant I had to concentrate.

Superb fun and a great bunch of guys down there in Auckland - ihad a blast.

Will I do it again?  Certainly will, it was excellent and I finally understand how model boat racers get so enthusiastic about their sport.

See ya on the water 

SS

Perhaps you should buy a couple of the Dragon Force65's from radiosailing.net. I personally sail an IOM but the DF65 looks a cheap way to test the sport.

I'm replacing the standing rig and sheets on a friend's older Nirvana.. what types of lines has anyone upgraded to on a boat like this? It seems to be all whipping twine really. Just don't want to use anything waxed so the rig holds setting. 2 shrouds/forestay and backstay. People have used 0.6mm spectra. Thoughts? It's a cute boat. I'll post a pic later. 

8 minutes ago, kevlar said:

I'm replacing the standing rig and sheets on a friend's older Nirvana.. what types of lines has anyone upgraded to on a boat like this? It seems to be all whipping twine really. Just don't want to use anything waxed so the rig holds setting. 2 shrouds/forestay and backstay. People have used 0.6mm spectra. Thoughts? It's a cute boat. I'll post a pic later. 

I use spectra on mine power pro 20lb test.Any good tackle shop will have it and it comes in different colors 

8 minutes ago, ROADKILL666 said:

I use spectra on mine power pro 20lb test.Any good tackle shop will have it and it comes in different colors 

It's not too thin? I'm not worried about the load. Just don't want to have to tie on the settings. Maybe I'm putting too much thought into this? I have some black robeline whip twine that would look pretty sexy. 

I use 100lb braided fishing line on my CR914.  A dab of superglue on the knots will keep them from slipping.

100 lb is overkill. For a Nirvana 40 lb fishing spectra is more than enough, although you might use 80 lb for the backstay.

If you want to be super OCD, cut a bunch of lengths 1-2 meters long, stick them in a sock, and boil them in water for 10 minutes. This will reduce the amount that the spectra will expand/shrink as it gets wet/dries out.

Agree with the dab of CA glue on every knot.

15 hours ago, lamorak said:

I use 100lb braided fishing line on my CR914.  A dab of superglue on the knots will keep them from slipping.

I don't even use 100lb on my soling 50 but i do use ca on every knot

for my soling and IOM I use 65lb seven strand wire. for the standing rigging.  and 65lb spectra for the running rigging.

Northern Maritime Model Society (Wattle Farm) held a 1day DF65 Fun Regatta yesterday.

There were DF65's and 1 RG65 on the pond yesterday......and that's what all we had......no wind. icon_cry.gif

The old saying....."it's never like this" is true as normally the breeze does come in by the afternoon. icon_wtf.gif

We started of with a chat session by Graeme Perry from Kapiti talking about set the rigs up pity there was no breeze to test the settings.

We got 4 races away with the boys from Wattle using the club boats filled the 1st 3 places, a set of sails sponsored by Karl Stachel of Power Sails was give to Cliff Dixon (Papamoa). Just goes to show good IOM skippers can sail other boats. 10 in the first 13 places.  icon_wink.gif

The 5th race was the "Rum Race" with Mark winning the bottle, and then gave it to the 4 boys from Kapiti....I believe it do not survive the night at Taupo. icon_redface.gif

Results.JPG

5.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Outside Assistance

5 Outside assistance.jpg

So I just skimmed Appendix E (Radio Sailing Racing Rules) and didn't see any changes to propulsion rules. I guess it would therefore be illegal to pump the main in no breeze under 42.2(a)? Would that work?

4 hours ago, SloopJohnB said:

Northern Maritime Model Society (Wattle Farm) held a 1day DF65 Fun Regatta yesterday.

There were DF65's and 1 RG65 on the pond yesterday......and that's what all we had......no wind. icon_cry.gif

The old saying....."it's never like this" is true as normally the breeze does come in by the afternoon. icon_wtf.gif

We started of with a chat session by Graeme Perry from Kapiti talking about set the rigs up pity there was no breeze to test the settings.

We got 4 races away with the boys from Wattle using the club boats filled the 1st 3 places, a set of sails sponsored by Karl Stachel of Power Sails was give to Cliff Dixon (Papamoa). Just goes to show good IOM skippers can sail other boats. 10 in the first 13 places.  icon_wink.gif

The 5th race was the "Rum Race" with Mark winning the bottle, and then gave it to the 4 boys from Kapiti....I believe it do not survive the night at Taupo. icon_redface.gif

Results.JPG

5.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Outside Assistance

5 Outside assistance.jpg

Bottom cleaning service is late again!   Trying to get it done on the way out to the start.

- Stumbling

On 4/7/2019 at 1:22 PM, shanghaisailor said:

I finally understand how model boat racers get so enthusiastic about their sport

Good to see you enjoyed it.

Most of the classes are not 'model' boats, not being models or scaled versions of any boat.  The international One Metre (IOM) is an example of that, an RC yacht designed from scratch.

Experience in manned yachts is an advantage as many of the top RC skippers are also successful in manned yachts.  I have learned more about sail trim and boat tuning on these boats as the results of a rig tweek are immediate.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, SF Woody Sailor said:

So I just skimmed Appendix E (Radio Sailing Racing Rules) and didn't see any changes to propulsion rules. I guess it would therefore be illegal to pump the main in no breeze under 42.2(a)? Would that work?

Correct, it would be a breach of 42.2(a).

And probably NO, it would not work anyway as there is no wind energy to move the sail off the center line for you to sheet in quickly for propulsion.

John

18 hours ago, random said:

Good to see you enjoyed it.

Most of the classes are not 'model' boats, not being models or scaled versions of any boat.  The international One Metre (IOM) is an example of that, an RC yacht designed from scratch.

Experience in manned yachts is an advantage as many of the top RC skippers are also successful in manned yachts.  I have learned more about sail trim and boat tuning on these boats as the results of a rig tweek are immediate.

I stand corrected Random. You are of course correct. I have a Seawind (not used for many years) and used to have a Marblehead (35 years ago) both or which are NOT models but specific radio controlled designs. In fact the Marblehead was converted from what I think many called a 'pond racer'. Set the rudder & sails and she originally steered with a wind vane.

41 minutes ago, shanghaisailor said:

I stand corrected Random. You are of course correct. I have a Seawind (not used for many years) and used to have a Marblehead (35 years ago) both or which are NOT models but specific radio controlled designs. In fact the Marblehead was converted from what I think many called a 'pond racer'. Set the rudder & sails and she originally steered with a wind vane.

Sadly, many clubs still have 'model' in their names, it does them a disservice I feel.

The growth in the sport is at the budget end, the DF65's and 95's.  I find the 65 too small but each to their own.  My last IOM cost me +$5,000 (I don't really want to add it up, could be 6.5 with all the kit).  A DF95 cost $500 and is one-design. 

The IOM is not 10 times nicer to sail but it is much more civilised, as you would expect.  The challenge is to educate the first time sailors on RRS.  As you may have noticed, everything happens faster in RC races, more incidents to reconcile.  Your judging experience would be valued!

1 hour ago, random said:

Sadly, many clubs still have 'model' in their names, it does them a disservice I feel.

The growth in the sport is at the budget end, the DF65's and 95's.  I find the 65 too small but each to their own.  My last IOM cost me +$5,000 (I don't really want to add it up, could be 6.5 with all the kit).  A DF95 cost $500 and is one-design. 

The IOM is not 10 times nicer to sail but it is much more civilised, as you would expect.  The challenge is to educate the first time sailors on RRS.  As you may have noticed, everything happens faster in RC races, more incidents to reconcile.  Your judging experience would be valued!

When I was given a 'shot' in Auckland there wasn't just me but also an IU/IJ with AC experience - people got away with nothing.

I am actually considering buying a couple of matched boats and getting people sail them in a match so I can practice my high speed umpiring skills. You are right, just when you think Oppie Team Racing is a challenge to make calls on given their speed of turn you discover it is nothing compared to how quickly RC boats can spin.

We sailed the American Marblehead Class NCR a few weeks ago, results are on the Marblehead Class website.

www.americanmarbleheadclass.org

DF65 Sailing

Heading to Kapiti this weekend 19th & 20th October for a 2 day regatta for the DF65's. For you all no Kiwi's it 700 km south of Auckland, so it's a packed lunch drive.

Skippers coming from Wellington, Hawkes Bay, Tauranga and Auckland.

I will so be taking my DF95 down to have sail with 5 boats from Kapiti Radio Yacht Club, it will be the first time in the water for it. :thumbup:

https://kapitradioya...ti-radio-y-club

Here's my 2 girls.

DF65 & 95.jpg

Here's me at Tauranga Club Champs a couple of weeks ago, 42 skippers, I finished 12 overall, 1st in the 70 plus skippers and 1st in the older generation boats.

#21 & Tauranga.jpg

• Like 2

Quick RRS Appendix E/Rule 18 question. Two RC Lasers on opposite gibes approaching the bottom mark. One port inside (me), one starboard just outside. Heavy overlap, tough to judge since the course was lateral to the dock. Wind was at my back.

My understanding is that the port boat is still entitled to room at the mark, just cannot take starboard away from the mark. Am I correct? I'm not sure. 

So when does 18 turn on and off vs 10 in RC sailing? Single lee mark. Not a gate. 

We ended up getting hooked up and both DNF. No arguments or hard feelings about it. Just curious as I'm still a newb to RC racing. 

For your question on R 18 and Appendix E, there is no difference between big boats and RC, except that the zone is 4 lengths, instead of three. But yes, judging an overlap from a distance can be a challenge.

For a downwind mark, if port is inside and overlapped, then stbd has to give mark room and yes, stbd can limit how wide port is able to go.

You may find my articles on sailing rules and tactics for RC of interest, and for your question see Chapter 5 Bonus item.

https://sites.google.com/site/johnsrcsailingrulesandtactics/

John,

On 10/16/2019 at 6:20 PM, SloopJohnB said:

DF65 Sailing

Heading to Kapiti this weekend 19th & 20th October for a 2 day regatta for the DF65's. For you all no Kiwi's it 700 km south of Auckland, so it's a packed lunch drive.

Skippers coming from Wellington, Hawkes Bay, Tauranga and Auckland.

I will so be taking my DF95 down to have sail with 5 boats from Kapiti Radio Yacht Club, it will be the first time in the water for it. :thumbup:

https://kapitradioya...ti-radio-y-club

Here's my 2 girls.

DF65 & 95.jpg

Was a stand in judge for the NA's in this class here in Charleston yesterday.  What a lot of fun!  This is on my list of future toys.

Do these RC models ever get stranded?  Dead battery / electric problem / no wind / stuck on something?

How do you get them back if you don't have a boat a person can fit in?

--Kevin

2 hours ago, tiz said:

Do these RC models ever get stranded?  Dead battery / electric problem / no wind / stuck on something?

How do you get them back if you don't have a boat a person can fit in?

--Kevin

At our club we've had all of these issues.  We've been able to rescue the disabled boat with an rc tugboat or we've managed to push the disabled boat with other sailboats. If the boat can't be rescued you can just wait for it to drift to shore. If you're sailing by yourself on a large body of water it could be possible for you to lose your boat but not likely.

Ok.  Hip boots not happening.  I'm considering making a pvc-tube RC rescue boat I saw on youtube.   Not sure I want to drop $150 on that just yet.  Have see some cheapo RC boats that could push a pvc rescue frame to go get the disabled sailboat.  Those are around $80.  Very new to this. But my local pond ends in a waterfall.....

May run a line across the pond upstream of the waterfall for now.

--Kevin 

depending on how far out the boat is.  a tennis ball attached to a fishing pole  and cast out  and try to get the ball snagged on the rigging or the keel or the rudder. and then reel it in.

Ive sunk one boat, which I recovered, and had to go swimming for an Ec 12 that just died, no wind and controls.  it was summer time so not that bad.

I have a rescue boat as well.  it had hooks on the side to capture a shroud or a back stay.  but I also have a long drag line with a floating ball on the end about 20 feet long.  so I can motor up to a boat and then do a couple loops around it and drag it back in once the line snags on the keel.

Coming home to my marina one day in my big sailboat. I spot a RC sailboat happily sailing toward the opposite shore about a mile away. I brought it aboard and started motoring towards the breakwater. A guy was there waving and jumping up and down. He had been sailing from the floating breakwater and lost control of his boat. About a mile across to Bainbridge Island where it could have run aground, but it is a 30 mile drive without a chase boat.

GW, that is awesome.

Reviewing this thread is making me want to get my Victoria running again. It was easy to ignore it stored in the attic, but no attic at the new house so it is on 'display' in the shop. Need a new battery pack I think...all my old Ni-MH cells and charger I am sure are no longer any good. To get the itch going again I might just go get a 30 pack of AA alkalines.

vicky_53.jpg