Debating between a J27 and Evelyn 32. I like the thought of less crew and SLIGHT reduction in sail costs/lines for the J27 but can't convince myself that it would be a better choice over the Evelyn.

Cost for the two boats I'm looking at are similar to identical and come with a fully loaded sail inventory that sounds comparable as well.

Any thoughts on the two boats? Has anyone sailed both frequently or regularly? Would be doing PHRF club racing and distance races.

Thanks in advance!

The sail program for the 27 will be MUCH less money annually vs the 32.

You also need to race the 32 with 7-8 people.

The 32 is a great boat (I owned one for 8 years) but not a good choice if you're not very handy.

They were not the most robustly built boats and many have not aged very well, so if you're not ready and able to do your own work it can expensive very quickly....

If you have any specific 32 questions feel free to PM me.

Good luck.

John

Like musicman, I owned an E32-2 for awhile, too. Sort of wish I still had it (especially after Ben turbo'ed it). Great boat. (and btw, musicman built a couple of great sails for it, an Assy and 3 if I remember correctly).

While I had the E32-2, I occasionally crewed on some friends J27. I love those boats, think they are one of the Johnstone's best designs. But the FUN FACTOR on the E32-2 was like an order of magnitude higher. I mean, I can't see a J27 doing 10-12 kn except on a big wave or off a cliff. Pretty routine on an E32-2, in breeze over 20. And pretty stable with the deep barn door rudder. We never had a problem getting it to track DW in big breeze....a shy reach was another matter.

Once on a lark 2 friends and I triple-handed the E32-2 in a heavy air race. Yeah, we were on our ear most of the time, but DW it was all worth it. Point is, you CAN sail it with less crew, but you are not going to be fast, so personnel management is a bit of an issue.

And John is spot-on about needing to be handy...you WILL need to fix stuff, but you will with the J27 too, if it's wet.

Not sure how you feel about below decks, but while the E32-2 doesn't have much headroom, it does have some. It's like a 2000 square foot loft compared to a room at La Quinta vs the J27. I wouldn't say it's a fun boat to cruise, but it would be a lot more livable than the 27. Feel free to PM me too, although John is the authority....I was just some hack sailing an E32-2...John did OK at KWRW :-)

Like musicman, I owned an E32-2 for awhile, too. Sort of wish I still had it (especially after Ben turbo'ed it). Great boat. (and btw, musicman built a couple of great sails for it, an Assy and 3 if I remember correctly).

While I had the E32-2, I occasionally crewed on some friends J27. I love those boats, think they are one of the Johnstone's best designs. But the FUN FACTOR on the E32-2 was like an order of magnitude higher. I mean, I can't see a J27 doing 10-12 kn except on a big wave or off a cliff. Pretty routine on an E32-2, in breeze over 20. And pretty stable with the deep barn door rudder. We never had a problem getting it to track DW in big breeze....a shy reach was another matter.

Once on a lark 2 friends and I triple-handed the E32-2 in a heavy air race. Yeah, we were on our ear most of the time, but DW it was all worth it. Point is, you CAN sail it with less crew, but you are not going to be fast, so personnel management is a bit of an issue.

And John is spot-on about needing to be handy...you WILL need to fix stuff, but you will with the J27 too, if it's wet.

Not sure how you feel about below decks, but while the E32-2 doesn't have much headroom, it does have some. It's like a 2000 square foot loft compared to a room at La Quinta vs the J27. I wouldn't say it's a fun boat to cruise, but it would be a lot more livable than the 27. Feel free to PM me too, although John is the authority....I was just some hack sailing an E32-2...John did OK at KWRW :-)

My record on the 27 is 14 knots in about 25 knots of air...best speed I've ever had verified is 19 knots downwind under kite in 30 knots. The fact is the boat will do it and then some.

The E32-2 "Eve" (Of Destruction) was in our club for a while...wickedly fast and a nice looking boat. Being bigger it will go faster, require more crew and more time/money to maintain, repair and campaign...in orders of magnitude. Both boats suffer from core issues which need repairing; just the way they built them back in the day.

The 27 is a simpler boat...but it all comes down to personal choice

All good input! My biggest concern with the 27 is that I'm afraid it will not get us to where we want to be rating and length wise. Where we sail our PHRF split for the fleet we're targeting is consistently mid-80's to high-120s.. all 30' and larger.. a the 27 would put us 1) slow boat and 2) short boat... not where I personally think we'd be.

How much higher sail costs are we talking with the E32? Maintenance wise, with both these boats it appears we lucked out as both have been professionally re-cored at winches, organizers, etc. and the E32 has had the bulkheads, mast step, and keel sump professionally replaced/re-enforced.

When you consider the size of the fore triangles:

E 32

I 38

J 12.7

J 27

I 30

J 10.5

You're looking at much bigger headsails & spinnakers on the E 32. Also consider that if on a tight budget you can get away with one genoa on the 27, no way this will work on the 32 (being masthead).

With all that said based on your class split issues the 32 would be the better choice.

The 32 really is a great boat, loved mine & had some of the best times of my sailing career racing "Remedy".

Agree with musicman about the headsails.

We carried a #1Lite, #1Heavy, #2, #3 and I wouldn't have minded having something else, too, with a higher clew like a JT, as most of the races we did were RLC (Random Leg Courses) and sometimes in waves. Same thing with kites, we had a VMG, a reacher, an AP and a 1.5, plus the A-sail that musicman made.

So yes, it's a great boat if you like switching gears and keeping your bow crew awake. Luckily for us "Phoenix" sold the boat to us with a top notch inventory (and we promptly abused the hell out of it)....so factor that in when you are looking, a fairly recent suite of newish sails will be a bonus, as I am sure you already know, but bears repeating particularly with the E32-2.

One other thing: run your hand down the topside skin under the chainplates all the way down to the turn of the bilge. Any bulges you feel (or see if the lighting is right) mean the bottom of the bulkhead is wet--not always discernible through the tabbing when you are having a look-see, although a good surveyor will surely see it.

All good input! My biggest concern with the 27 is that I'm afraid it will not get us to where we want to be rating and length wise. Where we sail our PHRF split for the fleet we're targeting is consistently mid-80's to high-120s.. all 30' and larger.. a the 27 would put us 1) slow boat and 2) short boat... not where I personally think we'd be.

Have you considered other boats, say Olson 30? With a PHRF rating of 96-99 and a 30' length it falls right in with your requirements.

Had my 27 20 years, very fast in all conditions, squarehead main is great addition. regularly 8-10 in medium air, maxed out 17 in big waves, nice thing is huge barn door off back gives great control Mains are almost same size on both, but foretriangles pretly different. 27 built to last, and very raceable with 4.

I have a 32-2. It is a wonderful, fun, responsive, fast boat.

As Musicman said, they were not built great, so either find one with the keel sump job done, or figure on doing that mod.

Musicman was a great resource for me when I rebuilt my sump and did some other interior mods. Now my boat is strong, stiff, and super enjoyable to sail.

J 27 is great as well. I have a few customers with them. Much smaller boat and the sails are cheaper. I would say the E32 is more fun to sail.

Feel free to send me a PM as well for any further info.

I own a loft here in seattle, and the sail program for the E32 is definitely a little more involved than the J27.

Cheers, TDA

post-3792-0-64105300-1485917991_thumb.jpg

As Musicman said, they were not built great, so either find one with the keel sump job done, or figure on doing that mod.

Musicman was a great resource for me when I rebuilt my sump and did some other interior mods. Now my boat is strong, stiff, and super enjoyable to sail.

J 27 is great as well. I have a few customers with them. Much smaller boat and the sails are cheaper. I would say the E32 is more fun to sail.

I own a loft here in seattle, and the sail program for the E32 is definitely a little more involved than the J27.

Cheers, TDA

You guys kicked ass that day. Are you flying the tack of the kite inside the pulpit?

We had a J27 for 7 years and loved it. Now have a Frers 33. Everything is MUCH MORE expensive with the 33 and I would expect no different with a 32 footer. The Evelyn is a Masthead rig vs the J27 a fractional rig. J27 headsails will be FAR cheaper as a result. With a 32 foot Masthead rig you will probably want at least three headsails vs only 2 for the J27. A 155 genoa on the J27 runs under $3000 CAD vs on a 32 or 33 ft boat at least $5000 CAD and probably more.

The other thing I would consider is that the 32 is likely better for distance and offshore conditions than the 27. Our 27 was a great boat but a wet ride. Not sure about the Evelyn. Typical J27 crew is 5 or 6.

Good luck. They both seem to be great boats

We had a J27 for 7 years and loved it. Now have a Frers 33. Everything is MUCH MORE expensive with the 33 and I would expect no different with a 32 footer. The Evelyn is a Masthead rig vs the J27 a fractional rig. J27 headsails will be FAR cheaper as a result. With a 32 foot Masthead rig you will probably want at least three headsails vs only 2 for the J27. A 155 genoa on the J27 runs under $3000 CAD vs on a 32 or 33 ft boat at least $5000 CAD and probably more.

The other thing I would consider is that the 32 is likely better for distance and offshore conditions than the 27. Our 27 was a great boat but a wet ride. Not sure about the Evelyn. Typical J27 crew is 5 or 6.

Good luck. They both seem to be great boats

I raced on a frers 33 from 1991 to 2000 the thing sucked downwind when it was blowing + 20 and the one I was on had a tiller, then my friend upgraded to a freres 36. The 36 is much better downwind when it's windy if we put the chute up in over 20 because I'm the second youngest at age 46. We got one + 70, three 60s, two 50s and two 40s and we are all big boned(average weight 240). I looked at the Nutcase website, both boats and repairs look good.

Cheers, TDA

You guys kicked ass that day. Are you flying the tack of the kite inside the pulpit?

Yeah, we were reaching hard, Tacked inside pulpit. Shortly after, we put the pole on and puller her back as the breeze went aft.

The E32-2 is a killer boat distance racing. We are able to hang with much bigger boats in the moderate breeze.

Debating between a J27 and Evelyn 32. I like the thought of less crew and SLIGHT reduction in sail costs/lines for the J27 but can't convince myself that it would be a better choice over the Evelyn.

Cost for the two boats I'm looking at are similar to identical and come with a fully loaded sail inventory that sounds comparable as well.

Any thoughts on the two boats? Has anyone sailed both frequently or regularly? Would be doing PHRF club racing and distance races.

Thanks in advance!

So? Did you buy a boat??

I've got an E32 that I'm resurrecting, new clean deck layout, nice sail wardrobe, open transom! Interested? Transom is done, the rest is in progress. Hope to have it done by mid summer. On a trailer in North Carolina.

I've got an E32 that I'm resurrecting, new clean deck layout, nice sail wardrobe, open transom! Interested? Transom is done, the rest is in progress. Hope to have it done by mid summer. On a trailer in North Carolina.

cool! Lets see some pics.

Make sure to get after the keel sump.

I also have the old green boat 'Leanne' from Annapolis.  Deck is soft and keel sump was soft, but addressed.  Gonna get cut up and parted out unless someone wants it.  Has a couple sails and nice rig with lots of extras.  I only need $3k for it as is.  Still a complete boat!

IMG_0871.JPG

IMG_0872.JPG