• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

80 would be really something. This number will only be based on how many show up for the first warning, not how many actually end up registering as a high water mark but then falling away before paying the entry fee, changing their minds due to work, family, etc. 51, though I'd love to be low on that of course.

Wait... you want us to actually show up? I thought entering was enough! I don't know if I'll be allowed to return to CA after visiting FL. ;-)

Well, we're halfway to 50 after just a few days, so that's a good start. And there's only one boat from the home club signed up. If the 5-7 Vipers that are within 40 minutes of the venue sign up, that'll take us comfortably over 30. All before the Class has been emailed to mention that registration is open, which will happen in a few days.

I am not a Viper owner..... but I congratulate the success of a class that has grown while not allowing paid sailors in your national championships. Well done.

Any pics of Fort Walton? Novel location.

and......Elon Musk???

I am not a Viper owner..... but I congratulate the success of a class that has grown while not allowing paid sailors in your national championships. Well done.

Any pics of Fort Walton? Novel location.

and......Elon Musk???

Racing area is behind a low barrier island for flat water, with pretty reliable seabreeze. Gorgeous white sand beaches. The host club, Fort Walton YC is very laid back and has loads of space. It's about a 5 minute sail from the dock to the racing area. Local knowledge: beware of the bushwackers.

I hope we're going to see attendance in the 60's.

We are extremely pleased to announce that The Beacon Group ( http://www.beacongroupconsulting.com/ ) has stepped forward to become Title Sponsor for the 2017 Beacon Group Viper 640 North American Championship. Stay tuned for a more formal press release in the near future. The team at The Beacon group is excited to have partnered with the Viper 640 Class Association for such an amazing event.

53 boats signed up so far......

March 2nd, 2017
(Portland, ME) – The Beacon Group is proud to announce their partnership with the Viper 640 International Class Association, as the title sponsor of the 2017 Viper 640 North American Championship to be held in Fort Walton Beach, Florida. The Beacon Group is a pioneer in the world of growth strategy consulting. For over fifteen years, the firm has provided guidance to Fortune 500 corporations on their global organic and inorganic growth strategies and tactics. With a strict focus on providing clients with actionable growth strategies and tactics, The Beacon Group is committed to achieving top-line growth outputs designed to have a direct impact on their client’s profitability. Headquartered in Portland, Maine, The Beacon Group has defined its role as a premier counselor on issues of innovation, disruption, international, adjacent, and emerging market growth.

The Beacon Group’s founder, Cliff Farrah, is passionate about three things; his family, his company and sailing. “Top level One Design racing is what I seek, and the Viper 640 Class embodies the wonderful competition of world class professional and Corinthian racing, and a growing, thriving racing community. I'm particularly excited but the recent recognition as a World Class by World Sailing, the international governing body of the sport of sailing. We are proud to serve as the title sponsor for what promises to be the largest gathering of Viper 640 sailboats in the world. We look forward to being a part of this great event.”

For more information about the 2017 Beacon Group Viper 640 North American Championship visit the event website at the Yacht Scoring website: https://yachtscoring.com/emenu.cfm?eID=2996.

And looking at the results going down right now in Miami, you get a feel for how competitive and how international the Masters category is getting in this class.

Go John Dane! in second place at 66 years young, former Olympic representative in Star Class for USA.

In third place Bill Abbott at 62 years young, former Olympic representative in the Soling Class for Canada.

In sixth place Lawrence Crispin from the UK..... Laser World champion in 1985!

Seventh Nick Amendola (remember Entourage in the Melges 24 and Etchells class)

In eighth from Cork, Ireland, Tony O Leary , captain of the Irish team that won the Admirals cup in 2014.

Very cool.

And looking at the results going down right now in Miami, you get a feel for how competitive and how international the Masters category is getting in this class.

Go John Dane! in second place at 66 years young, former Olympic representative in Star Class for USA.

In third place Bill Abbott at 62 years young, former Olympic representative in the Soling Class for Canada.

In sixth place Lawrence Crispin from the UK..... Laser World champion in 1985!

Seventh Nick Amendola (remember Entourage in the Melges 24 and Etchells class)

In eighth from Cork, Ireland, Tony O Leary , captain of the Irish team that won the Admirals cup in 2014.

Very cool.

Very cool indeed. If we have a masters' class, it should aggregate all crew members though, no? Something like Master classification requires total crew age/n > 45 where n is the number of sailors on board.

Agree strongly. Whatever number people want to set for either average age of crew, or minimum age for each crew, etc., is fine with me, but it can't just be an older driver with two young bucks hiking hard and pulling all the lines.

Agree strongly. Whatever number people want to set for either average age of crew, or minimum age for each crew, etc., is fine with me, but it can't just be an older driver with two young bucks hiking hard and pulling all the lines.

That's not going to work into Mambo's plans... :o

That's not going to work into Mambo's plans... :o

Good thing there's more than one Masters eligible team in the standings...and in the class officer ranks.

I don't know about age of master at 45, maybe 50? I turn 45 this year, and am not emotionally stable enough to describe myself as a Master (let the jokes roll in...).

At 63 Viper 640's as of this morning: https://yachtscoring.com/current_event_entries.cfm?eID=2996 for the 2017 Beacon Group Viper 640 North American Championship.

Don't forget the Marlow Ropes Warm up the Sunday before : https://yachtscoring.com/emenu.cfm?eID=4085

Ft Walton Destin beach area is awesome. The sailing area is protected and close to the club. This should be an great regatta. As for Masters John Dane can make a bathtub fast with only a bar of soap and wash cloth as crew. He will be gunning for the overall win, not the Masters title.

Hello all Viper sailors!

We are at 63 early entries for the 2017 Beacon Group Viper North American Championship. This is a record for the Viper Class, and we hope to hit over seventy in the coming months. This is a reminder to get your early entry fees in before the end of April deadline for early entry discounts. Please check your status at: https://yachtscoring.com/emenu.cfm?eID=2996

Also keep in mind the pre-event, 2017 Marlow Ropes Viper 640 NAC Warmup Regatta : https://yachtscoring.com/emenu.cfm?eID=4085

We are organizing a North Sails Viper Clinic For Tuesday, October 24th. The only fee to register for the clinic is a smile.

Two more sponsors stepped up to the plate. We would like to thank SpinSheet Magazine and the Mississippi Brewing Company for joining the 2017 Beacon Group Viper North American Championship team. Thank you.

Don't Forget Facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/Viper640NorthAmericanChampionships

This is going to be GREAT!

Thank you,
The 2017 Beacon Group Viper 640 North American Championship Committee

Let me know if any boats come onto the marker. after regatta.    BTW Hoof.  O lost all your numbers,  again. :(

Boats have been rolling in for the past few days.  The regatta peaked at 77 entries.  Of course the usual attrition began, after Irma, Maria, life, work etc.  Looking like 58-60 Vipers on the line for the big event this week.  The Marlow Ropes Warm Up regatta on Sunday had over 20 Vipers out blasting around in 15-24 knots throughout an incredible Sunday afternoon.  Monday found lots of Vipers going through the measurement/inspection process.  North Sails had a free one day Viper Seminar on Monday as well.  The Fort Walton Yacht Club manager came in on his day off to open up the bar in the afternoon for the sailors to partake in some adult beverages.   A few brand new Vipers were sold and came in containers just in time for the 2017 Beacon Group Viper 640 North American Championships.  The Aussies shipped over four Vipers and have somehow taken over the key to the trophy cabinet in the bar. An inflatable 'Roo and  the Australian National Flag have found a home behind some silver.  

13 hours ago, hoofhearted said:

The Aussies shipped over four Vipers and have somehow taken over the key to the trophy cabinet in the bar. An inflatable 'Roo and  the Australian National Flag have found a home behind some silver.  

That ViperRoo is a well traveled marsupial. He was seen in Bermuda last year and in Riva Del Garda, Italy the year before that. Be careful, when he gets a few drinks inside him, he gets horny.

And this breaking news.......Jonesy is back! 

There is a pool starting on who we are going to posting bail for first Jonesy or John Parks. Tough choice.  Two shy retiring types. Do we bet on Texas or West Australia? My money is on Jonesy going home with a Tattoo that he cant explain to his wife.

Breeze was on today in practice. Eagan brothers are going like shit off a shovel.  Several fast boats from the Gulf. There are going to be a lot of new faces at the front of the class from the Gulf. "Patched Up" from Mumblehead were showing that Caribbean Pastel Yellow is a fast color.  Zeke (current World Champ) and Brad (Multiple NA Champ) of course will be serious contenders. So will Geoff "Boomslang" Fargo who was top Corinthian at the Worlds.  Rod Beurteaux from Australia, Beardsley/Rhame from Larchmont, Nick Amendola from Naples and Nickerson/Solomon from FIS always do well.  But in all honesty I would have a really hard time picking a top ten because there are so many new teams and they are up to speed. But if you feel the need to have a side bet outside of the Jonesy Tattoo pool, the Bros' Eagan were fast today.

Awesome sailing......huge bay with low lying coastal islands ......white sand beaches......and today breeze 12-18 with flat water....super fast and flat upwind. Who knew there was this incredible spot? Why havent I sailed here before?

Results are up after Day One.  https://yachtscoring.com/emenu.cfm?eID=2996

Four Races, North breeze, quite shifty, breeze strength up and down from great planning conditions to low soaking deep  with the chute up.  

Lots of video and photos on the event Facebook page : www.facebook.com/Viper640NorthAmericanChampionships/

It was a long afternoon on the water yesterday.

First start was 12.00 noon and last start was at 5.20pm and we finished with sun low in the horizon. In the last race with the low sun bouncing off the waves it got challenging to see the puffs and shifts.  But what a day!!!!  It was a solid 12-16 all day with some light spots in race 2 and 3 and a couple of harder puffs scattered around the day.   The main feature of the day was getting in the right place for big prolonged 20 degree shifts.  

Our best race was Race One where we got into a threesome with Tom Loutrel and Brothers Eagan  by getting left of center up the first beat and then taking the first lefty back all the way to hard right sailing the initial header to get into a beefed up rightie that had been sitting at the top of the course. The top three boats had separation from the immediate following  pack and we traded places for the rest of the race until at the final windward mark rounding in second we brushed the offset with our chute during the hoist, spun and dropped to fourth.     Tom sailed an outstanding race and got the bullet. Literally a bullet!   At the end of the day during the cookout at the club, the winner of each race was awarded a bullet on a leather neck string.  Only in the South!   Dont ask me which caliber, we didnt get one.

In Race Two the right shift did not materialize and we were left stranded top right watching a long line of boats coming out of the left with pressure.  Mental note,....the strong puffs were coming increasingly out of the left.  It was good to see our class president, Steve Chapman from Canada rounding with the top pack but he was in tough company accompanied by Eagans, Zeke Horowitz, John Dane and Tom. We, however, had chosen cheaper seats with at least 20 boats ahead of us. Hey, the company was good and the racing was close and fun.  We had a much better second windward leg, banking on those left pressure shifts and we gained on boats that overstood too far to the left and those to the right. A top ten was possible. The leaders were gone but there was a complete shake up in our group on the downwind leg as the pressure filled from behind and we finished at the leading edge (by inches) of a large pack of 10 boats.....7th phew.

Race Three : No Comment!  This fleet does not forgive getting tangled at the start.  The boat speed within the fleet is very level. Zeke had given a chalk talk on Tuesday to the fleet on Tuesday and everyone had taken note. We figured Zeke must have been feeling a bit rueful because he was back with us and finding a lane was hard.  Again hats off to Eagans....and Brad Boston who was lightening fast upwind.....Tom AGAIN! and Lee Eikel( accompanied by noted SailXer Madness Max) got the result they deserved.

Race Four:  Again, unbelievable beautiful conditions.  This is a simply phenomenal place to sail. Who would have thought we could get such great sailing as the sun sets.  Z flag to get the fleet away before it was dark. The Bros' collected a 20% penalty, Tom finally had a poor start and discovered the wonderful company of the Peleton and how few passing lanes there really are.  We were solid and finished top ten. Zeke finally collected his first bullet.....yeah literally a bullet........ and when the dust settled...suddenly, inconspicuously  with a score line of 5s and 6s and a 15th, there is a guy called Patrick Ryan from Metaire, Louisiana in 4th overall.    Whoop whoop Patrick....first major Viper regatta and leading Corinthian.

Fat Lady hasnt even begun to tune her vocal chords. Three more long days to go.  See ya out there!

22728640_1630082450389662_6523983365817094250_n.jpg

I havent been close to a key board last couple of days so here is a quick synopsis.

Thursday:  One Day - One Race- One Big Decision - One Team pulled away from the leaders.

The breeze hovered around below minimums for a couple of hours. The fleet rafted up,  bantered and told stories.

The RC finally broke up the on-the-water partying and sounded a warning in 4-6 knots. In the final minute the breeze bent left. Zeke, Brad, and the Brothers punched out and immediately tacked onto port to take the left lifted tack......and so did we on Mambo Kings. But not Tommy Loutrel.....Tom was on a different game plan and he sailed the headed tack towards the left.  About a third of the way up the leg, it was one of those punch in the gut moments when looking over our collective shoulders on the right, we saw the left start to wind up in a huge second winding-up on the left. And the only boat in the top five in the standings in the left group was Tom Loutrel. Tom is based in Charleston (shout out for CRW here!) and I guess in Charleston Harbor they learn that the first lefty is never the last lefty.  We hung tough on the right waiting for something, anything to get back on. It was suicide trying to go back. We eked out what we could on the right in clean air but the half of the fleet that went left was over the horizon.

We had a competent second weather leg and ended up better than most that had gone right....Zeke was just behind us in 13th, Brad Boston was 18th and the Brothers were an uncharacteristic 19th.  If you were not left on the first beat you were in double digits. Congrats to Henry Amthor for collecting one of the .306 rounds of ammunition. Tom was 2nd!

Go the cumulative results on yachtscoring   https://www.yachtscoring.com/event_results_cumulative.cfm?eID=2996  Look at the results of race 5 in the top 5 boats.   The regatta is nowhere near over....but it was an important call and Tom called it.

Thursday evening was a late one.FWYC bar does an excellent job of demonstrating Southern hospitality.    The whole Gulf sailing crowd are just a great bunch of people ....and they sail fast as well

(The Aussies pulled ahead of the Texans when security was called to the local Publix Supermarket. Video evidence to follow).

Friday was a physical day. Four Races. Long Courses. Awesome breeze 12-18 from SE over the sand bar.   Just sleigh rides down wind and good tactical races upwind. Im sounding like a broken record but this is a great spot. Tom strings together another consistent day with 4,4, 3,3.  Brad Boston and Brothers Eagan each scored 11 points to Tom's 14 points.....but it is getting tougher to reel in Tom now. I dont want to jinx Tom by making any predictions. Tomorrow is a whole 'nother day.  Tom would be a very popular and deserving winner but we aint going to jinx it at this stage. It aint easy out there.

Mambo, 

Hush your mouth! FWYC is the top secret winter training base for the A-Class.  Flat water, sea breeze, and a yacht club that goes out of their way to make you feel like a local.

Have you made it to Tommy’s for breakfast yet?

MK

1 hour ago, lamorak said:

Mambo, 

Hush your mouth! FWYC is the top secret winter training base for the A-Class.  Flat water, sea breeze, and a yacht club that goes out of their way to make you feel like a local.

Have you made it to Tommy’s for breakfast yet?

MK

Well in the Viper Class your secret is out bro'.   Maybe we keep it to the Vipers and A Cats and refer to it as Location 51?

We live for breakfast. We will check out Tommys.

We ate at Sealand last night. Vietnamese chef who was rescued at sea by a Sealand container ship and cooks up an astonishingly good shrimp and grits. I had the Amberjack fresh off the boat.

52 minutes ago, hoofhearted said:

You are looking at Bow 58 True Grit 1000 sailed by John Dane former Olympian, 67 years young, punching off the pin, leading the charge in the Masters category and top ten overall.......and wicked sense of humor.  The boat name refers to a tech cttee rule that only allows us to polish a local defect on our boats with 1000, we are not allowed to sand out print through with 400.  JD is a stand up guy who does the right thing when his speed shop makes a mistake. Honored to sail alongside this man.

47 minutes ago, hoofhearted said:

THIS DID NOT END WELL  for any of these boats that went right on what looked like a big left shift.  This group was led right by the "talent"........but it looked really ugly about 10 minutes later.

13 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

How about a story Mambo

What happened in Publix stays in Publix.

We might be able to release a tape.  But right now I gotta go racing.

The Fat Lady has sung.

The Eagan Brothers took home the big silver.

Brad Boston in second

Tom Loutrel in third

Zeke Horwitz in fourth

Mambo Kings in fifth.

Masters North American Champion is David Nickerson and Moise Solomon

Ladies Champion - Mary Ewenson

Tom and his team are true sportsmen and rightfully proud of their podium but the last race was a tough way to end the regatta. They collected a Z flag penalty which knocked them from first to third overall.

Marcus and Andrew were deserving winners (and you will notice my early pick) as they had already taken a Z flag penalty earlier in the regatta.....so the Brothers won this the old fashioned way....on the water.    

The top 4 teams after 11 races were separated by 7 points.  I have only one word for those four teams and that is Respect!

It was a great time. I will be saying good bye to a lot of friends when I pull out of Fort Walton tomorrow.

Special thanks has got to go to Mr. and Mrs. Hoofhearted. They pulled off a once-in-a-decade fun event.

The Aussies are packing up their container.  It wouldnt have been the same without them.
22853268_1632716136792960_4481072349088362237_n.jpg.8815ccee5d33299839263cc6c7c9ddaa.jpg

We will be seeing them again in Perth in February

I spent Sunday down at the club at Location 51 packing boats onto tilted trailers for containers to Perth. The Aussies are heading home and a bunch of us are sending our boats to Perth for the World Championship in February.

viper_world_logo.jpg.2fd084f7b285a69096f112ced2d98140.jpg

Here's looking forward to the Doctor!

fang.jpg.2f4b2b06fdc5c8f56c3fffc4d0ad00d8.jpg

Marcus Eagan Wins 2017 Viper 640 North American Championship

Ft. Walton Yacht Club, Ft. Walton, FL

October 27, 2017

After three days of close, competitive racing, Charleston, SC, sailors Tom Loutrel, John Bowden and Karl Schutte held a fragile eight point lead in the fifty-four boat fleet having finished in the top four for all except one of the preceding nine races. The top four boats at that point were separated by only 13 points in a fleet that kept turning itself inside out. Loutrel held the lead throughout the first three days and credited his success to having stayed in the pressure and in phase as the winds had osculated unpredictably.

Going into Saturday’s final two races, only 13 points separated the top four teams: Loutrel; Marcus Eagan in second, sailing for Mississippi’s Bay Waveland Yacht Club with his brother Andrew and Jackson Benvenutti; Brad Boston from Sarnia, ON, sailing with Lee Shuckerow and Dave Shriner; and last year’s Viper Worlds and NAs Champ Zeke Horowitz from Annapolis, MD, sailing with Ian Coleman and Luke Lawrence. It was anyone’s Championship to win.

Loutrel’s winning ways began to fade as he finished ninth in the penultimate race. Horowitz won that race with Boston third and Eagan fourth narrowing the gap between the top four to ten points. With the winds shifting to the southwest and increasing to the high teens, a general recall was signaled for the first attempt to start the final race. Loutrel was over early with the Z Flag flying earning him a penalty that would cost him the Championship. Horowitz had also won the final race, but he was still one point over Loutrel keeping Zeke and team off this year’s podium. Boston scored another third moving him ahead of Loutrel but it was Eagan’s fourth place finish that earned him the Championship in the final race.

Eagan noted, “What a great regatta and we’re thrilled to have won. I really like sailing the Viper 640. It has great tuning capabilities and is physical enough to know you’re really sailing. And the competition in this Championship was excellent with great event management, stellar conditions, and wonderful people to compete against. I look forward to doing more Viper racing.”

• Like 1

I love how the presser makes it sound so civilized.

The last race was hand to hand combat!

There were only 7 points separating the top four going into the last race and when the race started , for the first time in the regatta,  those four boats were all in the top five together going around the course. They were like gladiators going at it tack for tack and gybe for gybe.......finding pressure, getting inside the lift uphill and outside the lift downhill... tactics and boatspeed at the same time in downhill sleigh ride conditions.

It was EPIC!

Then when the race was over, nobody knew for sure who had won.  We thought for sure Tom and his team had won but then word started to get out that they had collected a Z flag in the previous general recall. When we got back to the dock, confusion reigned. The scores were delayed. The OA and the PRO and the PC were cloistered in a room. Zeke had no idea "We won the last race Man, that is all I can tell you".  Brad was his usual laid back self " We left it all out on the water....we just have to see how it all comes out. Whatever the finish order, that was epic racing"

Then the PRO came out .....

Tom finished the last race second across the line but collected an 11 point Z flag penalty in a general recall giving him 13 points in the last race. Heartbreaking at first, but the other top boats were the first to shake his hand and slap his back in commiseration..so I think he realized he had sailed one hellva regatta and the top three on the podium were all winners.

The Eagans score also carried an 11 point Z flag penalty that they could not discard so the point difference between Eagans and Tom was the same , before and after Z flag penalties.

And by the way.....there were close battles like this going on all over the finishing order.

IT was one for the history books. Location 51 really delivered.

I grew up at that club. Sailed that bay nearly every day, had a little sunfish then a P-19 instead of a bicycle. The wind's always there and you can run you boat  up on the beach pretty much anywhere. No reefs, clear water, great fishing, there's a miles of untouched coast and wicked river system that feeds into to it to explore.  Have since sailed to Australia, Perth is great sailing too & Sydney harbor is stunning, but "F-dub"  has to be the best spot for a regatta that I can think of. 

2 hours ago, UnderwaterA5 said:

I grew up at that club. Sailed that bay nearly every day, had a little sunfish then a P-19 instead of a bicycle. The wind's always there and you can run you boat  up on the beach pretty much anywhere. No reefs, clear water, great fishing, there's a miles of untouched coast and wicked river system that feeds into to it to explore.  Have since sailed to Australia, Perth is great sailing too & Sydney harbor is stunning, but "F-dub"  has to be the best spot for a regatta that I can think of. 

Must have been a great place to grow up as a kid. 

There are at least two from Location 51 who are going to Perth. Jump in your jeep and drive across to say Hi. ;)