Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grande Mastere Dreade

sammiches, what you got

interesting pic, I've had quite a few... but not all, whatcha got that's good and how do you make it...

one of my favs is listers triple egg chili chutney variations..

389252.jpg

However I did once make a grilled sandwich on multigrain wheat with leftover pulled pork with bbq sauce slaw mustard and cheese that got rave reviews but we were in the cabin for lunch after skiing the morning and we would have eaten the pork on toast and probably been just as happy.

A properly made rueben is impossible to beat. No contest.

I agree, but I make a version called a Rachel that is made with turkey instead of corn beef.

I really like a cheesesteak too. But the best were in Philadelphia and I don't travel there anymore.😞

I agree, but I make a version called a Rachel that is made with turkey instead of corn beef.

I really like a cheesesteak too. But the best were in Philadelphia and I don't travel there anymore.

you know, im going to make both ruebens at the superbowl party I am having. I like the turkey idea. You use sliced turkey breast from the deli or cook the breast yourself?

We got one of those paninni press thingees.....we make some bad ass sammies......often out of whatever is leftover.....and bacon. Always bacon......

Yeah im thinking for the rachel I might swap the corned beef and kraut for the turkey some bacon and avacado slices and keep the swiss and the russian dressing.

do you have to stick with heavier breads and rolls with the press or can you put softer bread in it without turning it to wafers?

Fucking shoot me now, I have turned into a middleaged lonely woman from melbourne

Next you'll tell us you're thinking of being a librarian..........shhhhhhhhhhhhh

Thin bread isn't the best. In that case, try it in the waffle maker....I'm not kidding.....

I have the waffle maker but its too new and the safety switches it off too early so it sucks for waffles. Might work better for sandwiches. Thanks.

You're a guy, open it up and wire your way around the safety features!

I have the waffle maker but its too new and the safety switches it off too early so it sucks for waffles. Might work better for sandwiches. Thanks.

Yeah, just superglue the thermal breaker in the closed position. Back it up with some duct tape just in case.

Hobot, thats the reason I still have it but I didnt want the firemen to get on my case for disabling the safety feature. Funny I bought this huge electric skillet to deep fry chicken and it had the same thing. It would click off at 340f even though the control dial went to 450. I took it back and fried the chicken to perfection in my lodge logic cast iron skillet on the stove.

heres my favorite quote from the inlaws about a sandwich. Falk is driving like a madman running away from bad guys in a south american country and telling alan arkin who is jumping out of his skinabout a sandwich before he comes up on a herd of pigs crossing the road.

Next time we're in Tejada Shel don't let me forget, they make a chicken sandwich down here...they serve on a hard roll, they heat it up...with oragne juice you know grande...a big one or pineapple juice and coffee. Do you take coffee Shel? Expresso with the beautiful foam...OH JEEZ PIGS!

I really like a cheesesteak too. But the best were in Philadelphia and I don't travel there anymore.

you know, im going to make both ruebens at the superbowl party I am having. I like the turkey idea. You use sliced turkey breast from the deli or cook the breast yourself?

I just use sliced deli turkey breast. Usually put a couple slices on. Rye bread is good, but often make it with whole wheat bread. I have tried the panninni press, but that seems to smash it. I usually just fry it both sides on the griddle like a grilled cheese.

Yeah im thinking for the rachel I might swap the corned beef and kraut for the turkey some bacon and avacado slices and keep the swiss and the russian dressing.

do you have to stick with heavier breads and rolls with the press or can you put softer bread in it without turning it to wafers?

Your variation sounds good. The cool thing is that you do any variation you want. I had been using turkey for a long time before I read somewhere that it was called a Rachel.A Rachel can also have Cole slaw instead of saurkraut.

Hairpie sandwich.

Furburger? Ah, the good old days, when there was lush pubic hair everywhere. Ptah.

interesting pic, I've had quite a few... but not all, whatcha got that's good and how do you make it...

389252.jpg

Apparently this was put together by someone who has never had a Montreal smoked meat sandwich. Kicks the crap out of all the above.

Yeah, I might agree.

A BBLT - extra bacon - on sourdough bread with avocado (BBLAT) is pretty damn good too in the summer.

Good reuben with a pickle though. It sometimes can't be beat in the winter months unless there's a cheesy Italian beef with au jus going head to head.

That's a decision nobody should have to make.

When I travel by train, the big stations always have several shops that sell some nice sandwiches. Small baguettes with all manner of stuff inside, pita thingies, and caprese on ciabatta to name a few. Most of them feature some kind of cheese. Get some of those and a bottle of apple juice, get on the train and go.

Hot Pastrami Sandwich Melt

Bone Marrow and steak Sandwich Muffuletta Pâté Sandwich Pulled Pork Brisket Pork Buns

Hairpie sandwich.

Furburger? Ah, the good old days, when there was lush pubic hair everywhere. Ptah.

So a shaved box would make it a naked furburger, just the meat and juices...mmm

On the family friendly front, how about a sliced rare roast beef/skirt steak, grilled asparagus, boursin on thick sliced granary bread?

A Reuben made with both corned beef and pastrami, plus a slice of caramelized onion........ Gotta be on lightly toasted rye (with seeds preferred, but not a game changer).

Hairpie sandwich.

So a shaved box would make it a naked furburger, just the meat and juices...mmm

On the family friendly front, how about a sliced rare roast beef/[/b]skirt steak, [/b]grilled asparagus, boursin on thick sliced granary bread?

Yeah, a little skirt steak. Strip steak, or even porterhouse or slip steak, something in which to spend an afternoon in Philly ... http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Skirt%20Steak

reuben is very good

Brunshweiger on rye with onion (also called liverwurst)

roast beef au jus is tasty too

Whatever sandwich I tossed in my pack and am eating somewhere high and away from civilization.

would devour any of the sammies in that pic, less liverwurst and PBJ's only in emergencies... If you haven't tried one, do yourself a favor, Salmon BLT!

BTW,

America’s Bacon Reserves Are at a ‘50-Year Low’

http://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrink/restaurantsandnews/america%e2%80%99s-bacon-reserves-are-at-a-%e2%80%9850-year-low%e2%80%99/ar-AAmv9Ni?ocid=DELLDHP

Italian sausage with sautéed peppers and onions on a fresh hoagie roll.

Smoked turkey, muenster, spicy honey mustard, all grilled on challah bread (#27 for those who that means something to).

One of my favorites is a toasted roast beef, cream cheese, horseradish and onion on pumpernickel. A lot of the others are great as well.

As I'm on 1800 calories a day, most of these will need to wait....

The lowly grilled ham and cheese with cream of tomato soup will hit the spot today. It's cold out!

Lots of Kerrygold butter required.

The lowly grilled ham and cheese with cream of tomato soup will hit the spot today. It's cold out!

Grilled cheese Sando (add Black Forest Ham if you like). Simple and fucktabulous.

Pullman Sourdough Bread.

Fontina Cheese.

Marinated Scallots (thinly sliced).

Sprig of Mint.

Light Dijon Spread.

Jif creamy Peanut butter and grape jelly on a potato roll White Wonder Bread.

FIFY

Never do this while stoned. You'll choke to death.

Leftover pot roast on crusty, chewy bread. Make sure there's potato, and onion, and carrot in there.

FIFY

Nah mate- the fresh potato roll is sweet and makes the pbj taste like a gourmet doughnut-

Points for fresh wonder bread, and I'd like to add that being stoned is kind of a prerequisite for the sandwich in the first place-

Grilled cheese Sando (add Black Forest Ham if you like). Simple and fucktabulous.

Pullman Sourdough Bread.

Fontina Cheese.

Marinated Scallots (thinly sliced).

Sprig of Mint.

Light Dijon Spread.

Sprig of mint...That would kill it with the tomato soup! Genius.

Of course sourdough. It's about the only bread I eat unless I'm having a reuben.

389252.jpg

Apparently this was put together by someone who has never had a Montreal smoked meat sandwich. Kicks the crap out of all the above.

sounds good, directions?

on a BLT I like to put a fried egg on... BELT... much superior..

For the last time, no I will not make you a bloody sandwich!

how about roast beef, blood doesn't sound too appetizing..

If the roast beast isn't just past mooing, it's not really worth eating.

Rare roast beef on a kaiser roll, with mayo, horseradish, lettuce, tomato, roasted sweet red peppers, Vidalia onion, melty Fontina cheese, and a little ground black pepper and a pinch of salt. Served with thick cut fries, and a wedge of dill pickle.

Beets don't belong anywhere except Borscht.

Sandwich combos to avoid?

I'll toss one out - beets don't belong on Hamburgers.... Yuk.

So you don't beet your meat?

Rare roast beef on a kaiser roll, with mayo, horseradish, lettuce, tomato, roasted sweet red peppers, Vidalia onion, melty Fontina cheese, and a little ground black pepper and a pinch of salt. Served with thick cut fries, and a wedge of dill pickle.

I'll be right over. Forget the salt. Maybe the red bell pepper too. I like them but they might kill off the vidalia and fontina.

Cheese sauce for the fries.

Man, I might have to go on a sammy spree. I have no pickles in my house! Gotta go to the farm. Are 5 YO canned pickles still OK? Well, maybe 7 year old. They were really good but they've been sitting in the root cellar forever. Probably have 2 dozen Ball jars left of them.

Never grow pickle cucumbers. The yield is prolific.

I'll be right over. Forget the salt. Maybe the red bell pepper too. I like them but they might kill off the vidalia and fontina.

Man, I might have to go on a sammy spree. I have no pickles in my house! Gotta go to the farm. Are 5 YO canned pickles still OK? Well, maybe 7 year old. They were really good but they've been sitting in the root cellar forever. Probably have 2 dozen Ball jars left of them.

If the seal is still good and it "pops" when you open it, and no mold? Crunch away.

FIFY

Nah mate- the fresh potato roll is sweet and makes the pbj taste like a gourmet doughnut-

Points for fresh wonder bread, and I'd like to add that being stoned is kind of a prerequisite for the sandwich in the first place-

Oh man I love PB&J on any bread but Wonder white is best. It's one of those throwback foods.......growing up if the food got slim before payday PB&J was the staple to get through for lunches and spam with Kraft Mac & Cheese for dinners . Pretty cheap school lunch as well, it was either that or bologna and yellow mustard on white bread. Then in the military - way back when - the food wasn't all that good all the time........very often. But PB&J on white bread was always available and spam in various concoctions made leftovers work for the cooks.......

PB&J and spam........nostalgia food from my yooot and the military.

I ran a boat for a rancher from Colorado who used to order his steak rare in a restaurant by saying,

Blow its nose and wipe its Ass and bring it to the table!

FIFY

Mothers Debris sandwich in New Orleans

m33.jpg

Their ham sandwich is pretty good too but the Roast Beef Debris is tops! I think they do a combo too.

menu_full_front-new.jpg

Aw man, Mother's debris biscuit and Bloody Mary on Mardi Gras morning...

And the poboy and banh mi neither one top in that list, someone ain't ate at the right places

As sushi is really a rice dish...sammies are really a bread dish. Toss everything that came in a bag, get some bread baked that same day from a real baker...and blast most competitors right out of the water.

Christ! We call ourselves sailors and no one has mentioned a tuna or sardine sando?

Amazing we haven't mentioned the Double Bacon Fatty. Comes with its own cardiologist. However, I've found that wine pairing is a bit of a challenge.....

Bacon-stuffed grilled cheese sandwich as the top bun. Followed by cheese, bacon, a four ounce beef patty, a bacon-stuffed grilled cheese sandwich in the middle, followed by even more bacon, cheese, another four ounce patty, and finally a bacon-stuffed grilled cheese sandwich as the bottom bun.
enhanced-buzz-12500-1336866193-5.jpg

1. Pastrami on a Kaiser or on rye

2. Turkey Club

3. Italian Sub

4. Chicago Italian Beef with Giardinerra

5. Muffuletta

6. BLT

7. Thanksgiving Turkey and Swiss

8. Meatloaf and onion slathered with Hellman/Best Foods Mayo

9. Fried Egg and Cheese on toasted French Bread

10. Grilled Cheese

A worthy subject you can sink your teeth into.

I won't say that I "dated" a woman named Debris in No. Cal one weekend...... But that was her name.... (OK I think it was spelled Debree). She was kinda cute, in a wrecked meth head kinda way......

What, no Spam?

Spam is demon spawn. I have a foil envelope of some around here somewhere. It keeps moving.

Think I was the only kid in school that had PBnJ on rosens rye bread... Mum never allowed white wonder shit in the house. Still make em once in a while.... PBnJ on rye with doritos smashed in... Yummmmmm

My grandfather was fond of peanut butter, marshmellow, and banana sandwiches, with potato chips crumbled up inside. I could not go there............. And I'll try anything at least once, but..... No.

What, no Spam?

I like SPAM.But I only eat the Hot and Spicy SPAM. It is hard to find but is favorite in Guam. SPAM with Tabasco sauce blended in. YUM! SPAM and egg sandwich!

If the seal is still good and it "pops" when you open it, and no mold? Crunch away.

The lids are all still 'sucked in' and not corroded. No mold. I was really careful in prepping and had the scald burns to prove it.

I'll grab a jar tomorrow. It'll probably take a screwdriver to get the inner lid off. They're super tasty - sister's MIL recipe and the only thing I've ever used alum for. Even grew the garlic, onions and dill for them.

I'd say the pickle vines got to about 40' long by the end of that summer. It was like a science project gone wrong.

My brother probably gets the creativity award: Birthday cake on rye.

No, I'm not making that up.

My flash of genius came one day when I was attempting to make a roast beef sandwich and found I was out of Mayo. Looking for anything gooey and spreadable, I found some artichoke and spinach dip. Now I can't eat the sandwich without that dip.

prosciutto, mortadella, capicola ,fresh mozz, arugula, summer tomatoes, balsamic vinegar on fresh Italian bread

What, no Spam?

I like SPAM.But I only eat the Hot and Spicy SPAM. It is hard to find but is favorite in Guam. SPAM with Tabasco sauce blended in. YUM! SPAM and egg sandwich!

I was crew/cook on a Golfcart 50 going across the pond to France from Florida many years back. I was laid up with a busted wing when the boat was provisioned, so I had no input, into what was stowed in the galley, prior to departure. Having to work with only what I had, I whipped up a nice Spam Cacciatore one evening halfway to the Azores. Wasn't bad, really!! Onions, tomato sauce, mushrooms, green beans with almond slices.......

Favorite sammich at the moment is Bacon, Avocado, Sprouts and Tomato on lightly toasted multi-grain bread.

RE: Rasper's Mother's menu, $11.00 for an omelet ??? Holy shit, I guess in my 20 years out of the US things have changed.

Spread some good sweet cream butter on a slice of nice fresh Italian bread. Lay down about a half a can of anchovies on top of the butter. Make sure you distribute the fillets evenly. Put a slice of bread on top and enjoy.

My grandfather was fond of peanut butter, marshmellow, and banana sandwiches, with potato chips crumbled up inside. I could not go there............. And I'll try anything at least once, but..... No.

That's called The Idaho Circus. Minus the chips and it's The Eisenhower. Minus the bananas and it's just a Fluffernutter.

You had a young grandpa, he and his friends ate the hell out of those things in the 1950s when Fluff was considered a food from the future. They actually served fluffernutters in school lunch rooms back in the 1970s.

Fluff, peanut butter, Nutella and bananas is called The Weaponized Fluffernutter.

Regular peanut butter and banana sandwich, with or without bacon is The Elvis. But Southerners know that Elvis put mayo in his peanut butter and banana sandwiches.

I lived on peanut butter and banana for a days at a time when my wife was in charge of cooking duties on our old boat. That was the one thing she could manage underway. I never got tired of them.

<SNIP>

The lids are all still 'sucked in' and not corroded. No mold. I was really careful in prepping and had the scald burns to prove it.

I'll grab a jar tomorrow. It'll probably take a screwdriver to get the inner lid off. They're super tasty - sister's MIL recipe and the only thing I've ever used alum for. Even grew the garlic, onions and dill for them.

I'd say the pickle vines got to about 40' long by the end of that summer. It was like a science project gone wrong.

My ex kept the pickle crocks, and I've never gotten back into it. We used to make some super crunchy dill and perfectly sweet/tart lime pickles. BTW - Alum is also good for helping mouth cuts/sores to heal. Tastes like hell, but, it works.

That's called The Idaho Circus. Minus the chips and it's The Eisenhower. Minus the bananas and it's just a Fluffernutter.

You had a young grandpa, he and his friends ate the hell out of those things in the 1950s when Fluff was considered a food from the future. They actually served fluffernutters in school lunch rooms back in the 1970s.

Fluff, peanut butter, Nutella and bananas is called The Weaponized Fluffernutter.

Regular peanut butter and banana sandwich, with or without bacon is The Elvis. But Southerners know that Elvis put mayo in his peanut butter and banana sandwiches.

I lived on peanut butter and banana for a days at a time when my wife was in charge of cooking duties on our old boat. That was the one thing she could manage underway. I never got tired of them.

He was born outside of Richmond, Va. in 1899. Last time I saw him eat one was in 1988, just before (Well, not minutes, or days, but maybe a month or so) he died.

He was born outside of Richmond, Va. in 1899. Last time I saw him eat one was in 1988, just before (Well, not minutes, or days, but maybe a month or so) he died.

Old Grandpa eating an Idaho, okay, pretty good, they probably kept him alive.

Sugary sandwiches were big back in the day, parents weren't concerned about nutrition, they just wanted to make sure that they kids ate sufficient vitamins. The Wonder breads were enriched, so they were health foods, the fluff was just a way to get the kids to eat the bread.

My folks wouldn't give it to me, I remember being jealous of my friends at the lunch table who had sugar and margarine sandwiches. That was haute cuisine for the trailer park folks.

PB and cheddar or american with butter and a big glass of milk..... ;)

The great XKCD cartoon - for any Linux geeks here:

sandwich.png

That is funny, but wouldn't he just be making the sandwich himself while looking like her then?

I like an Italian sub where the volume of meat exceeds the volume of bread by a substantial margin. Done right, I should be able to actually feel my cholesterol increase as I am eating it. Black forest ham, genoa salami, hard salami, mortadella, capicolla, 1/4 pound of provolone, onions, black olives, olive oil, and balsamic vinegar.

I think one of the key elements to a good grinder (sub, hoagie, etc.) is to pull some of the bread out of the middle to create a "nest" for the ingredients. IE: less bread, more meat, veggies, cheese, etc.

The sandwich should not fall apart, nor should large bits of filling fall out while eating. It's perfectly fine to need to wipe schmutz off your face, but having to retrieve tasty bits off the plate (or your lap) is frowned upon.

Yeah, just superglue the thermal breaker in the closed position. Back it up with some duct tape just in case.

I find wire ties to be indispensable (I prefer to recycle bread bag wire ties..Save the Earth!)