glexpress

July 2017 J/111 Great Lakes Racing

Summer can’t come fast enough, I’m stoked to start crewing on a J/111! Hull 84 will be leaving England for Detroit (via Cleveland) soon. The new Freedom will be in for the PH Mac and Ugotta.

Chicago would just be piling too much on for the team. The owner and myself each coach high school sailing teams in the spring and the rest of the crew has busy lives. All of this coupled with a new boat getting jammed down our throats it was decided to skip the Chicago race with it being the first one this year. It’s a long trip around the Mitten and we anticipate at that point we will still need that time to get our shit together.

Personally I’ll still be getting my Chi Mac fix, just on a different J Boat, Bad Dog.

I’m optimistic that the PH Mac can be a OD event. There’s another Detroit boat not signed up as well as 2 Cleveland boats. Add in a couple of other random entries and we might get an OD start!

Here’s tally as of 2/2.

Chicago-Mackinac—5 boats

Port Huron Mackinac – 3 boats

LTYC Ugotta Regatta – 0 boats

Consider this thread everything J/111, Great Lakes, July…. Maybe a little bit “please come to Lake Huron so we can get a OD start.” ;) I look forward to chatting and learning from everyone.

There will be another new J111 to the Great Lakes. Shmokin Joe will be based out of Racine WI and will be doing both macs along with other buoy racing.

I am signed up for the Chi-Mac and LTYC.

I suspect there will be enough boats at LTYC (5 needed) for one-design racing on Friday and tour of the bay courses on Saturday and Sunday.

Hroth

Variance

USA 100

Hey, congrats on the new boat. It's the former British Soldier, correct? I'm excited that there are now 4 boats in the PHMac. Hope we can get a few more. Not sure of your schedule, but PHYC hosts an overnight race on July 4th weekend that's a great tune-up race for the Mac.

Hey, congrats on the new boat. It's the former British Soldier, correct? I'm excited that there are now 4 boats in the PHMac. Hope we can get a few more. Not sure of your schedule, but PHYC hosts an overnight race on July 4th weekend that's a great tune-up race for the Mac.

It's not my boat, just a new boat to crew on with old friends. Yes it's indeed the ex British Solider, she has yet to get shipped over. We're planning on doing the PH100, Windsor Overnight and an assortment of beer can races to tune up for the Mac.

There is a boat in Detroit not yet signed up, 2 in Cleveland and on in Harbor Springs that all of us can work on. That would get us a OD start no problem. I have a feeling once OD critical mass is obtained that more boats will follow.

Welcome.

There was loose talk of a J111 event in Holland this Summer. Not sure if it's a go.

Let us know if it's happening.

Thanks,

Crew on Rowdy,

Jim C.

BTW...I have a lightly used Quantum main for sale in the SA classifieds. This would be a great option for anyone looking for a delivery or beer-can main.

PM me if interested.

Hroth

Welcome.

There was loose talk of a J111 event in Holland this Summer. Not sure if it's a go.

Thanks,

Crew on Rowdy,

Jim C.

There will definitely be two days of buoy racing in Muskegon on June 3-4. I am trying to get the Holland boats (Solution and Utah) to come up. If anyone in Chicago (or elsewhere) wants to come join they would be welcome. Its the weekend before the NOOD which I unfortunately can not attend due to my daughters graduation.

PM me for more details.

Hroth

Thanks Hroth.

That is our Colors Regatta, a NOOD warm up for most classes, hosted by Columbia.

2/14 Chicago Mac got to OD pretty quick, no surprise there.

Chicago-Mackinac— 11 boats

Port Huron Mackinac – 4 boats

LTYC Ugotta Regatta – 1 boat

Thanks Hroth.

That is our Colors Regatta, a NOOD warm up for most classes, hosted by Columbia.

Copy that.

Hroth

Welcome.

Thanks,

Crew on Rowdy,

Jim C.

Looks like the race you are talking about is the weekend after the Mac race.

Welcome.

Thanks,

Crew on Rowdy,

Jim C.

Competing with the Bay View Mac? or with LTYC? Either way that's a shame. But I suspect you will get some of the Chicago boats on their way home.

Hroth

Welcome.

Thanks,

Crew on Rowdy,

Jim C.

Competing with the Bay View Mac? or with LTYC? Either way that's a shame. But I suspect you will get some of the Chicago boats on their way home.

Hroth

Details still being finalized for the J111 event at MBYC this year. The plan is for the weekend after the Chicago Mac and as you suspected Hroth, catching as many boats going home as possible. There is no intention to compete with Ugotta when Chicago is the second Mac race in future years.

Team Utah is meeting this week to go over scheduling for the season. Hoping to do all our local West MI events and a few with the fleet in Chicago. The Verve may be out if we go to San Fransisco.

2/21 tally

Chicago-Mackinac13 boats

Port Huron Mackinac 5 boats

LTYC Ugotta Regatta 1 boat. Freedom expected to register.

2/24

Chicago-Mackinac13 boats

Port Huron Mackinac 6 boats. OD class is starting to look like a reality!

LTYC Ugotta Regatta 1 boat. Freedom expected to register.

Any more info on the July 22nd J111 event at MBYC?

Thanks.

Rowdy is starting to get our Schedule ready.

Any more info on the July 22nd J111 event at MBYC?

Thanks.

Hello?

Is there anyone out there?

4/5

Chicago-Mackinac 18 boats
Port Huron Mackinac 6 boats
LTYC Ugotta Regatta 1 boat

18 boats for Chi Mac, right on! That's going to be a awesome class!!

Those of us on the other side of the mitten just need 2-4 of you to keep going past Mission Point and down to Port Huron. I promise you that you will not sail off the edge of the Earth, which is the only reason I can come up with after all these years of trying to figure out why fewer Chicago boats come over to play.

Wow. 18 for Chicago is a huge number. Very exciting times.

I have thoughts on Chicago vs. Bayview attendance, races but I won't bore you here.

I really hope we can get some of those boats to the mysterious race in Holland post-Mac....;)

Hey there gang, pop on by the Fleet 1 FB page we have put up a google doc with some of the race dates that we all might get together.

https://www.facebook.com/J111Fleet1/

send me a note if I have missed a date, or heaven forbid a boat (we are growing so fast!) Like Ex British Soldier, is she named Freedom now hope so just added her to the list.

18 boats now for the Chicago Mac... woo hoo!

where is freedom going to be based out of?

there is another j111 in cleveland - shamrock (old my sharona), arrived last year

there is another j111 in cleveland - shamrock (old my sharona), arrived last year

Freedom will be based out of Grosse Pointe Park, MI.

She's in Cleveland right now because that's where she cleared customs. She's scheduled to sail to Lake St. Clair on Friday.

safe travels and good luck with the season. need to get all the 111's to do something semi local to get them together

safe travels and good luck with the season. need to get all the 111's to do something semi local to get them together

Agreed. This year for the owner and crew will be mostly about getting up and running and wrapping our heads around the boat. We expect to be involved in more Lake Michigan stuff in future seasons, but not the first year.

There are many opportunities for us to get things going in the Huron/Erie side of the mitten. BOD, Cleveland race week, Mills and PH Mac come to mind.

FYI there are presently 6 111's signed up or Bayview Mackinac. The NOR states 10 boats for a OD class, but we may be able to twist arms for a OD class with 8. A couple of more boats from Cleveland may get us over the hump. ;)

Tough sledding there glex as 2 of the Cleveland boats are signed up for the event in San Fran in August leaving no time for the Macs this year.

So many regattas, so little time. Good issue to have! There will be many chances in the future to come together for events in our part of the Great Lakes. Hopefully more J111's start coming into the area until then!

oops, can't believe I forgot Shamrock... sorry

moved Freedom to Michigan on the sheet

We have 23 111's on the Great Lakes... Please let me know if I am missing anyone!

19 Now for the Mac! 

Where is Offshoot going to be hanging out? 

Colors Regatta had some great racing with some trying wind conditions. 4 races over 2 days. Thanks to Solution and Shmokin Joe for coming to Chicago to race. 

Looking foreward to NOOD with 14 j111's racing. 

Are any of the great lakes boats doing the regatta in SF. I've recently retooled my one design management business and available to transport any 111s with "bumper pull" trailers.

Jeff Goff

Do we need to start talking about 2018?

One event I want to encourage people to attend is the Ugotta Regatta the weekend after the Chicago-Mac in Harbor Springs.  This would be a great opportunity for some one-design work/tuneup for the NAs.  If there are at least 5 boats you can sail one-design Friday-Sunday.  Maybe encourage the RC to do W-L racing on Friday and Saturday with a Tour of the Bay on Sunday.  Just thinking way ahead....

Hroth

Anyone going south or east this winter/spring? 

5 registered for J Fest and 3 for St Pete NOOD. 

Charleston and Annapolis ?

On 11/15/2017 at 5:35 PM, kevmo78 said:

Anyone going south or east this winter/spring? 

5 registered for J Fest and 3 for St Pete NOOD. 

Charleston and Annapolis ?

Utah is planning to head south to St. Pete for both the J Fest and NOOD.  We would love to see fellow Fleet One competitors this winter!

Encouraging Lake Michigan J111's to sign up for the LTYC Ugotta Regatta the weekend after the  Chicago-Mac Race.  Typically, if we get 5 or more boats, we will get a one-design start for all three days.  This typically means short course buoy racing on Friday and longer tour of the bay races Saturday and Sunday but I suspect we could lobby for short course racing on Saturday as well.

https://yachtscoring.com/emenu.cfm?eID=4604

Also this year, the J105 Nationals will be taking place at the same time so they have raised the entry limit to 100 boats.  Don't miss out on this great opportunity for more one-design racing in advance of the J111 Nationals in Holland, MI!

Hroth

7 minutes ago, hrothgar said:

Encouraging Lake Michigan J111's to sign up for the LTYC Ugotta Regatta the weekend after the  Chicago-Mac Race.  Typically, if we get 5 or more boats, we will get a one-design start for all three days.  This typically means short course buoy racing on Friday and longer tour of the bay races Saturday and Sunday but I suspect we could lobby for short course racing on Saturday as well.

Also this year, the J105 Nationals will be taking place at the same time so they have raised the entry limit to 100 boats.  Don't miss out on this great opportunity for more one-design racing in advance of the J111 Nationals in Holland, MI!

Hroth

Also worth mentioning on the same weekend J/35 NA's in Cheboygan, MI.  20+ boats expected.  Too bad it's looking like I'll be short on time off work for that one.

https://www.yachtscoring.com/emenu.cfm?eID=4588

On 1/26/2018 at 9:55 AM, hrothgar said:

Hroth

Already 4 J111 signed up for Ugotta regatta.  If we had a few more boats, we get a one-design start and an added day of W-L racing on Friday.  I know that Dave sent an invite to the class.  Hopefully we can attract some Chi-Mac boats coming down to Chicago after the BIG race.

Hroth

Variance

USA 100

On 2/2/2018 at 8:56 AM, hrothgar said:

Already 4 J111 signed up for Ugotta regatta.  If we had a few more boats, we get a one-design start and an added day of W-L racing on Friday.  I know that Dave sent an invite to the class.  Hopefully we can attract some Chi-Mac boats coming down to Chicago after the BIG race.

Hroth

Variance

USA 100

5  J111 not for LTYC means a one design start on Friday.  Hopefully a few more will join....

Hroth

Variance

USA 100

18 hours ago, Grinder said:

Rowdy will be there

Awesome!  The more the merrier!  It'll be sort of a J-Fest with all the 70s and 105s too.  Recommend that people register early as the harbor is limited to 100 boats.

Hroth

As of this morning...

Chicago Mac  18 boats

LTYC  6 boats

Nationals  7 boats

Come on guys!  We can do better. (Though it is early and there is still snow on the ground all over the midwest).

Hroth

USA 100

Only 4 signed up for PH Mac so far, we're doubtful to get a OD start.  But won't it be fun trying like mad to save on 109's and 105's while battling a turbo 1D35 and chasing a Melges 32?  :rolleyes:

Thread bump - North Americans around the corner - what kind of weather should we expect? 

Thread bump - North Americans around the corner - what kind of weather should we expect? 

It will be better than most of the east coast post - Florence.