• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
semelis

New York - San Francisco on a proa

I'd never consider a Proa for crossing the equator.

I strongly doubt anyone else who has crossed the equator under sail would do it on a Proa.

^^^ You're not serious, right??? :blink:

I am a bit worried for this project because the website talks about the winter 2016-2017... It seems late for this year now...

Y'all know that the guy leading this project posts here once in a while; right?

This is Ryan Finn's project that he has been working on for quite some time. Anything he puts his mind to can be accomplished. Can't wait to follow this incredible journey.

Proa's? This discussion should me moved to the argument thread over in CA from the get go...

I believe Russel Brown has crossed the equator multiple times in a Proa, nothing unusual about that, Cape Horn is a whole other kettle of fish.

On 2/15/2017 at 9:37 AM, carcrash said:

I'd never consider a Proa for crossing the equator.

I strongly doubt anyone else who has crossed the equator under sail would do it on a Proa.

Seventeen years ago, Russell Brown and Steven Callahan sailed JZERRO (the same proa Ryan will use in his NY-->SF effort) from San Francisco to the Marquesas and on to New Zealand and Australia.  Made the cover of Cruising World.

proa-oceania.thumb.jpg.ffeca21a234e3a18281918b37639a192.jpg

(link to full size image)

4 hours ago, sailronin said:

I believe Russel Brown has crossed the equator multiple times in a Proa, nothing unusual about that, Cape Horn is a whole other kettle of fish.

Just that once crossing the equator, as far as I know.

The boat came back to the Northern Hemisphere, thus two crossings at least.

8 hours ago, sailronin said:

The boat came back to the Northern Hemisphere, thus two crossings at least.

It was shipped back, not sailed.

1 hour ago, carcrash said:

As I said ... :D

I never cease to wonder at those who so gleefully display their ignorance.  You were wrong regarding "anyone else".  Sailing conservatively, Brown and Callahan made it from Half Moon Bay (just south of San Francisco) to the Marquesas - a great circle distance of 3000 nautical miles - in 19 days.

From Steve Callahan's Cruising World article Starship to Oceania

By day we drive. At night, we flip on the autobuddy and drop the main. At a slow six-to eight knots, Jzerro calms enough for us to snag some sleep. We dream of warmer, smoother trade winds 300 to 500 miles south. For five days, at first across westerly and then down northerly eight-to-twelve-foot seas, we drive her at, perhaps, 60 percent of her capacity. We run mostly under jib alone until the wind veers north, then under double jibs with one tacked out to the bow of the ama. We can carry this asymmetrical, proa-style wing-and-wing setup almost up to a beam reach. Even under much reduced sail, we average 180 to 200 miles a day. 

Not that I think it's the best choice for Cape Horn...  And all proas are not alike by any means.  I've seen more than a few that I would never sail offshore, anywhere.